• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Spoilers for Tron:Legacy

I just watched a Disney movie in which an aging father (and actor getting too old for sequels) confronts his now-evil son on a bridge in an attempt to reconcile, which ends up being his end.

Brakke

Banned
To be fair, moments before the guy had just been told to kill Han, and would have given the chance. Instead Han used him to save himself. It was a perfect reflection of his character, ala Han shot first.

"I went back to doing the only thing I was good at."

"Self defense" kind of breaks down when you're "defending" yourself by gratuitously murdering someone you, yourself, ripped off and lied to. The guy was already beat, the punch solved it. It's fine to shoot Greedo because he's seconds from murdering you; this was kicking a man when he was down. It was mean to me, not gleeful.

This movie's relationship with violence is weirdly ugly sometimes.

Imagine you are the descendant of the chosen one, the greatest force sensitive Jedi and the baddest killer Sith of all time.

You know your destiny is to be great because you're a Skywalker. Your Uncle who is teaching you is a legend. Too much Vader is the unrelentless quest to be the greatest ever! The passion that drive such motivation leads to the dark side. Leia regrets sending him to Luke because that's how he discovered his potential with the force - and that was always going to conflict because of his goals.

Make no mistake, Kylo is stupid powerful in the force.
I would have much rather they cut 30 seconds from somewhere else in the film and say this than shorthand it away with, "oh well too much Vader". What you're saying is one possibility but given what happened to Vader and the context that we know from the prequels, it's more than just ambition. Maybe the prequels don't matter, but Vader had reasons apart from wanting to be the best. What does Kylo Ren have? In ANH it was fine just to say that Vader turned bad because we didn't know anything about Vader until ESB but they give up Ren's backstory here so pretty easily which makes their explanation too flippant for me.

anaron

I hope the second movie starts off with a funeral scene ...probably the most thing that gets on my nerves about this movie,is that they just brush off his death and 10 minutes later the movies over. this movie had no breathing room, no downtime it just seems like it was just a two hours of constant action I feel like it could've been 30 more minutes longer with how breezy it was and it wouldn't have felt long at all. i'm a fan of long movies though.

I agree. the reaction to his death wasn't big enough for me. (though Leia sensing it was a great touch)

Slime

Banned
It is almost certainly the planet Ilum.

If it was Ilum I'd think the weapon would be a little more Death Star-like and not the dark matter star blaster thing they went with. The science-fantasy technobabble explanation of how Starkiller works is pretty fleshed out and none of it mentions kyber crystals.

I thought it was Ilum at first too, and as soon as I saw the sun-eating thing I immediately got bummed out.

"Self defense" kind of breaks down when you're "defending" yourself by gratuitously murdering someone you, yourself, ripped off and lied to. The guy was already beat, the punch solved it. It's fine to shoot Greedo because he's seconds from murdering you; this was kicking a man when he was down. It was mean to me, not gleeful.

This movie's relationship with violence is weirdly ugly sometimes.
On that note: Finn absolutely has no compunction about killing his brethren during his escape.

dukeoflegs

The more I think about TFA the more the movie breaks down for me. Story, scenes, plot, and characters just feel poorly planned or executed. Its like Metal Gear Solid V. I really liked the game at first but the more I played and after completing it I realized it wasn't that great. Just poor execution.

Its like Metal Gear Solid V.

Nah

On that note:

You playing said note

4767639_orig.gif

televator

Is this in response to me? There was important context to the position I was arguing from. I believe Rey is supercharged (I think it's likely she is a Skywalker) and thus it's no surprise she could take Kylo.

Regardless, that clip shows Jedi Knight Anakin -the most powerful force user- beating a formidable former Master and most skilled light saber combatant... In the trilogy that is shit and lacks all kinds of consistency. Not sure I follow what the contrary point is.

Just watched the movie with my girlfriend and she cried when Han was killed. I was holding her hand a couple minutes before and just let go and said, "you'll eed than in a second."

Boom, Han's dead.

Upon second viewing, I really like the fight between Kylo and Rey/Finn.

You can tell Kylo is both pissed off and gimped and pissed about it.

Also, you can really feel the Nazi overtones from Hux. Really dug it.

Hosnian Prime inexplicably being visible from the surface outside Maz's castle.. yeah... what the heck were they thinking with that one.. unless they're officially in the same system.. and it didn't sound that way. Awful.

Seeing that is what brings Finn back to the fight.
Saw the film for the second time today, went with my wife after seeing it by myself the first time, and the shield generator mission on the star killer doesn't make sense to me: why don't all the x-wings do the light speed entry trick? They never explain why only Han and the Falcon can do it.

Because it's literally insane and no one really but Han or Poe could pull it off and Han barely did.

televator

Approaching a planet at light speed... Sounds insane, yeah.

Approaching a planet at light speed with an entire fleet... Mass suicide.

Agreed. As a very astute poster above points out, it could be the Republic's connection to 456 that should make you care. I thought the whole thing was weak because the republic is basically a nonentity in the movie. But they jump from the happiness of the ending of rotj to oh shit there's basically empire 2.0 again with the title crawl. Characters don't even discuss how things are different with the republic. I'd prefer they show why the republic is good... I dunno, quick mention of like democracy or something...or even give han a throwaway line or two just to draw some contrast.

The republic is a Nothing so I don't care if it gets destroyed. Or at least I shouldn't care. For some reason I really do. Again I think because of the tie to 456. But I sorta feel like everything those characters did was for naught. Luke lives in exile. Leia is still fighting for some " resistance ". Han can't be with his family. Was anything ever good?

Welcome to World War II

Saw it in IMAX tonight. Overall enjoyed it a lot but definitely not as polished or as serious as I expected. The goofy scenes sometimes seemed out of place and there were some whack lines in this movie. Also felt pretty formulaic and plot felt jumpy to me.

Carrie Fisher was...not great. John Boyega was just ok. Rey and Kylo were probably the best but really no outstanding acting.

Other gripes are destroying the final weapon just seemed way too easy and made the whole thing kind of anti-climactic.

And how Rey went from having no manifestations of the force to being able to control minds and use a light saber like a freak in a flash.

Rktk

Saw it yesterday, it was better than I was expecting, J.J. did what he needed to do. I was surprised Hans death wasn't spoiled for me since it is such a big moment.

1. What happened to the shiny stormtrooper, they were going to send her to a trash compactor and I wanted to see that.

2. Finn lasting more than 2 seconds in a light sabre duel with Kylo was pretty dumb.

3. The Millennium Falcon hits the ground while in flight multiple times, the kinds of impacts that would blow it up but instead it would bounce around like a frisbee.

4. Carrie Fisher's acting was wooden, everyone else was great.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
2. Finn lasting more than 2 seconds in a light sabre duel with Kylo was pretty dumb.

Don't forget that Ren was badly injured mentally and physically. Also keep in mind that Finn was trained in Melee combat as a Stormtrooper, and even then was barely able to keep up with Ren.

Brakke

Banned
3. The Millennium Falcon hits the ground while in flight multiple times, the kinds of impacts that would blow it up but instead it would bounce around like a frisbee.

everybody knows that metal explodes when it bumps into stuff. it's basically solid nitroglycerin.

Actually, I kinda liked that the TIE fighters in this movie didn't just vaporize into pure gas the instant a blaster hit it. Sure, that happened a couple times in the two dogfights in the film, but Finn & Poe get hit by a "ventral cannon" (whatever the fuck that is) and manage to survive re-entry, and Finn tags two TIEs with the Falcon guns, and while both ships are wrecked, they both stay more or less structurally intact. One basically smashes into a wall like an orange thrown at 30-40mph.

Actually, I kinda liked that none of the TIE fighters in this movie just vaporized into pure gas the instant a blaster hit it. Sure, that happened a couple times in the two dogfights in the film, but Finn & Poe get hit by a "ventral cannon" (whatever the fuck that is) and manage to survive re-entry, and Finn tags two TIEs with the Falcon guns, and while both ships are wrecked, they both stay more or less structurally intact. One basically smashes into a wall like an orange thrown at 30-40mph.

One of my fav world building touches is that the cockpot of the first Tie Fighter Finn takes out on the Falcon is shown to crash and immediately before you can even blink scavengers are all over ready to pick it apart for scraps. Really showed the kind of desperate lives people on Jakku lead.

One of my fav world building touches is that the cockpot of the first Tie Fighter Finn takes out on the Falcon is shown to crash and immediately before you can even blink scavengers are all over ready to pick it apart for scraps. Really showed the kind of desperate lives people on Jakku lead.
That's one of those small details I've had almost everyone mention when we talk about the movie. Such a fun, yet telling moment.

Lamel

Banned
Actually, I kinda liked that the TIE fighters in this movie didn't just vaporize into pure gas the instant a blaster hit it. Sure, that happened a couple times in the two dogfights in the film, but Finn & Poe get hit by a "ventral cannon" (whatever the fuck that is) and manage to survive re-entry, and Finn tags two TIEs with the Falcon guns, and while both ships are wrecked, they both stay more or less structurally intact. One basically smashes into a wall like an orange thrown at 30-40mph.

Ventral cannon probably just means cannon on the underside of the ship. Get your anatomy right bro.

Rktk

Don't forget that Ren was badly injured mentally and physically. Also keep in mind that Finn was trained in Melee combat as a Stormtrooper, and even then was barely able to keep up with Ren.
I will probably watch it again, without the 3D if I can since it added nothing. Maybe I remember the fight lasting longer, I get that Ren was injured but he still had it going on. Finn didn't seem all that great in melee combat earlier when he had to fight another stormtrooper.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Motherfuckers saw a fight and were like

sIEmkY0.gif

I will probably watch it again, without the 3D if I can since it added nothing. Maybe I remember the fight lasting longer, I get that Ren was injured but he still had it going on. Finn didn't seem all that great in melee combat earlier when he had to fight another stormtrooper.

Just got back from a viewing and Kylo was toying with Finn in that fight until Finn gets the lucky slash in on Kylo's arm, then Kylo promptly ends it, knocking Finn's saber away and slashing his back.

Kylo also has Rey on the defensive the entire fight up until she taps into the Force but by the time he fights her, he's lost all element of finesse and is using brute force slashes to knock her saber down and force her back.

In fact there's an ongoing theme with Kylo everytime he faces Rey where he dominates her with Brute Force (literally in many cases). In the forest outside of Maz's, in the interrogation chamber (he hovers inches from her face and even says "You know I can do whatever I want" before invading her mind), and in the final fight.

Is there a visual list of all the Easter eggs in TFA?

A few from what I noticed.

When Finn is handing Rey tools in the Falcon, at one point he grabbed Luke's training droid from a New Hope that trained him to deflect blaster shots and tossed it aside giving it a puzzled look.

Of course there was the obvious space chess scene where Finn accidentally activated the chess board in the Falcon.

So was it just me or did it seem like everywhere in the galaxy was about five minutes apart by hyper speed? I don't remember it feeling like that in the original trilogy. I think that was my main complaint with the movie, it just felt... ungrounded because of that.
There are not many "group chat on Falcon" scenes in TFA, I feel that's why all FTL travel in this movie feels instantaneous.
Yeah the space geography is totally broken.

How did that Starkiller beam cross interstellar distances to kill Hosnia but also approach Hosnia at sublight speed so the Hosnians cower at the sky and see it bearing down on them?

~space magic~
The beam enters hyperspace and exits before impact, seriously, look it up.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Of course there was the obvious space chess scene where Finn accidentally activated the chess board in the Falcon.

What I didn't realize was that apparently the creature that lost in ANH, now gets payback in TFA:

Interestingly, the Dejarik holochess game from The Force Awakens picks up immediately from the one between Chewbacca and C-3PO in A New Hope. “We elected to pick up where we left off … and we just swapped out who wins this time,” admitted Tippett.

Here's a cool making of vid

I just find it hard to believe that a guy who has grown up with these troopers is willing to kill them without hesitation. There isn't a second thought or anything. Only psychopaths would do something like that. Finn's obviously not a psychopath, but I think him having some internal conflict about killing his what essentially amounts to his family would add to his character. I don't need him to be conflicted about it the entire movie. I just wanted something.

And before you go all space nazi on me, the troopers are all programmed from birth. They're not entirely willing participants. Finn is just like all of them up until his defection. He should be seeing himself in them. It could be a constant reminder of who he was. I think it'd be cool if his defection triggers something in the rest of the storm troopers.

Something I noticed: Rey pretty much wore her white/beige clothing throughout the movie, but when she goes to visit Luke, she's wearing gray.

Tawpgun

Coulda used a little more exposition with the republic. Which was originally planned (not sure if filmed) but there was supposed to be a scene where leia talks to that senator lady you see for like 4 seconds to try and get her to convince the rest of the senate to fund the resistance and treat the first order like a legitimate threat

The decision to kill 20 minutes of this movie in the name of speed really hurt the film's punch and coherency in the last 40 min. Abrams took too much out of what should have been his final edit.

I'm gonna be pissed if the music that got cut/changed up because of those unneccessary cuts for time ended up being music that would have taken the score from "pretty good" to "legitimately great"

9:53pm:

10:03pm:

1:04am, THREE HOURS LATER, responding to the SAME POST.

No shit? You find it hard to believe. Really.

4767639_orig.gif

lol. I figured I make a short response, but I was too drink to really think of anything. So I waited until I sobered up and got home to make a better post. Cute cat, tho.

Kin5290

According to Greg Rucka's Before the TFA novella, Finn was raised in a fire team of 4 guys. He was too empathetic and so was treated with disdain, and he buddied up with another one of his teammates who was a total fuckup nicknamed Slip. Slip dies in the opening firefight, so basically everyone else that he ices is a total stranger to him.

munchie64

Weren't many old aliens in this, just the returning characters. Hopefully some can come back in the next one. I want more Twi'leks dammit!

Top Bottom