• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
So I finally got around to seeing the last 2 episodes of durarara
I put it off because the show was so damn slow at times
man what an inconclusive ending, are they going to have a second season?

trejo

Is it me or is it getting hot in here?

Dog Days 2

Eh, why the hell not? It's not like there's much else to watch this season.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
InfiniteNine said:
Madoka on the 21st! Put your Mammies on!
To much things to get excited about this month.. game of thrones premiere.. portal 2.. finale of madoka, and of course more episodes of spring anime!

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Nope. I quite enjoy watching men penetrate each other (metaphorically).
Pff, there was nothing metaphorical about the Spartan apprenticeship system.
Nonoriri said:
Cream Lemon Part 4: Pop Chaser is where it's at.
More like White Shadow.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"I think that is the first and last gift he ever gave to her."

OH.

MAN.

;_________________;

Softenni 01 - Group of four girls and their male coach fanservice-filled (tennis) comedy series. The setting's slightly different -- it's rural, and at least some of the characters live on farms, with cows and all. There's even a field with cows in it right next to the tennis court. Other than that though, expect lots of underwear shots and fantasy sexual references (the excuse for the latter being that the main character girl apparently has an active imagination). Parts of it are enteritaing, parts are dumb.

firehawk12 said:
Softenni - so this is what K-On! would look like if it was made for pervy otaku.
That is a good description of it. The way the main character girl turns everything the coach says into sexual references gets annoying after a while... There were some amusing parts though, such as when the food-obsessed girl (who can't hit a tennis ball at all pretty much) manages to grab a rice ball out of the air with her teeth when the girl tossing the balls throws one of those instead...

Geneijin said:
Nope. Judging by your impressions of Episode 1, I would have enjoyed the OVAs more.
You should watch the OVAs then. They're definitely better than the TV series, if the first episode is any indication of how the rest of it will be...

Gross-out humor is not a good replacement for sex and alcohol...

icarus-daedelus said:
I dunno, you've apparently seen them both, you tell me! Which one has the superior lesbian subtext and gravity-defying breast action?
Sengoku Otome is flat out terrible, so I guess A-Channel it is by default, even if it was very bland and kind of messed up.

firehawk12 said:
The only time it worked for me was with Mayoi Neko Overrun, but that's because I love in-character commentaries.
So are you saying that you didn't like the Kampfer OVA, or haven't you seen it yet?

I haven't read much fantasy - mostly because I keep trying to start an epic 10+ volume universe and get burned out by the first half of the first book. I feel like I should be reading Journey to the West or Three Kingdoms or something if I wanted fake sounding names and quests and whatnot.
Then I guess I need to mention Tad Williams again... his first fantasy series, Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is three books (though book three is 1600 pages, so in paperback it's in two volumes making it four books pretty much), Otherland (a near-future cyberworld series) is four books, he's got one standalone book ('person from today brought into the world of faery', except it's a somewhat dark version of that classic tale), and Shadowmarch (fantasy again) is in progress, with two books of the planned three released so far. His books are quite long, but the series don't go on forever. Very good writer too, as I said, one of my favorites in the genre.

Science Fiction is different because it isn't as strictly defined as fantasy, but even then, a lot of the stuff I thought was good really isn't as great as I thought it would be. Card, Philip Dick, Heinlein, Halderman, Le Guin etc... I almost don't want to revisit them only because I don't want to discover that most of their work is bad tripe with interesting themes.
I admittedly don't read as much sci-fi as I do fantasy, even if I think that some sci-fi is deeper than a lot of fantasy I just like fantasy more... I always have found the middle ages really interesting, loved castles from when I was little and such. :)

As for those authors, I have read some of Orson Scott Card's books; I'm not a fan. I just don't like his plots, or how his politics (quite right wing) sometimes gets into his books. If I want right wing politics in a book I'll read Terry Goodkind (fantasy author, and Objectivism fan), even if that volume of The Sword of Truth whose message was that pacifists who submit to evil dictators are themselves evil unless they fight back and kill the dictators was ... unpleasant to say the least. (I never did read the last book of that series though, I got through 11 books before finally it wore me down...)

Anyway, sci-fi... what about some of the masters of the genre, like Azimov and Ray Bradbury? Foundation, Bradbury's short stories, etc... great stuff. (On that note, the Ray Bradbury TV series, with half hour episodes based on a bunch of his stories, was really interesting and is definitely worth watching). Turning to more recent authors I also like Jack McDevitt, who has some post-apocalyptic books and some futuristic ones.

Of course, then you branch out to Science Fiction films and TV and anime and the quality dips dramatically and I've seen so much of it that unless it's fuckballs crazy (Macross with the singing, Aria with the lack of real conflict), I'm hard to impress.
Yeah, as far as sci-fi goes, most of the depth just ... disappears ... when you go from books to TV or movies. Sure, they have some, but it just doesn't usually compare to the original stories, most of the time... but at least they're better off than fantasy, where aside from stuff like the Lord of the Rings movies (some of the best movies ever) things have always been awful as far as American TV goes. I mean, at least there are plenty of great sci-fi TV series - Star Trek, etc, etc -- but fantasy? I can't think of any. Beastmaster was terrible. The Sword of Truth series is pretty bad (and nothing like the books really, it's just generic fantasy instead of generic fantasy that turns to Objectivism after four books). I can't think of much TV fantasy that's actually good... at least anime has some, even if lots of it is really generic at least it exists!

I still like Neal Stephenson though. The Baroque Cycle is either a work of genius or the ramblings of a well researched madman who had too much time on his hands.
Yeah, Neal Stephenson is great. I like Neil Gaiman' stuff (books, TV, and movies) too.

mAcOdIn said:
Nope, three more, including the recap with a touch of a new scene that still demands watching just because of it, fucking recaps. I hate recaps. I hate recaps that toss something new in more because you miss out if you skip them.

Last Exile was particularly bad at that, you'd be tempted to skip the recap AND the OP each episode since it's a fucking recap and the OP BUT every fucking once in a while the recap wouldn't be a recap or would have a new scene. Fucking Gonzo! Same with those assholes who usually don't show shit after the credits but every once in a while they will. Fuck those guys. Why do that? I get it for the last episode, that's just one damn episode that you have to skip through and be sure there's no real ending or some crap but just on random episodes? Fuck that. Fuck that.
It's just done to get you to watch, like the end of Kirby's Dream Land 1 where after the credits it gives you a cheat code to play the game in Hard Mode, and then after the credits in Hard Mode it gives you a cheatcode for a special menu with a sound test and lives/health select... but as far as recaps go, why not, in a complex series with a lot going on? Not everyone's going to remember everything that's important that happened before.

But anyways, if you find this guy's arc boring you can skip it, it's part of the world but not really part of the story and is just mentioned in passing.
I'll watch it anyway, it's not THAT bad, just nowhere near as good as what came before it, and about different characters.

Steroyd

InfiniteNine said:

I need no stinkin mammies.

Boob-slap.gif

I see light at the end of the tunnel.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Toradora 16 - Oh wow, the show managed to fit in a
kendo fight between two tsunderes!
of course they managed to turn it into a piece of melodrama after wards.:lol

Rektash

Gosick - 12: I seem to be the only one enjoying this show so here we go: This is how you put in character development into a filler. No actual stuff happening but feeling
that the show took a step forward is always a good sign. Of course additional Victorque kickin into dere mode scenes, are always to my liking as well. I just can't do anything against a good tsundere, I always like them <3.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
First Squad was so bad.

Soooooooooooooooo bad.

It was beyond terrible.

Steroyd

Cardcaptor Sakura - 19

Press Start to enter new player.

vlcsnap-2011-04-10-14h56m19s203.png

I love how Sakura's practicing how to further develop her powers, without it giving off the vibe that it's a training arc/episode.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Unknown Soldier said:
GitS: SAC hasn't even been released in it's entirety in Japan on Blu-ray, just the condensed movies. Oh, wait. That's what those are. Fuck that.
What are you talking about? It's been released for a while and I've been considering buying the sets for it and 2nd Gig.

InfiniteNine said:
What are you talking about? It's been released for a while and I've been considering buying the sets for it and 2nd Gig.

What? Really? I haven't been paying attention, I only remember the stupid movies from a few years ago.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Unknown Soldier said:
What? Really? I haven't been paying attention, I only remember the stupid movies from a few years ago.
The Blu-rays where released in Japan in 2009 with all English options available. It's been a while man.

Nichijou 2
Again, I laughed. More than last time, too. Maybe I was just in a better mood. Nevertheless, I had a good time and will continue watching.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
No, don't worry, I still hate The Sky Crawlers. :p Angel's Egg and Twilight Q ep 2 are awesome, as are, I suspect, Beautiful Dreamer and Gosenzosama Banbanzai, if I ever get around to watching 'em.

I still maintain that somewhere around Patlabor 2, he'd creatively spent himself and from there on out just made excessively boring films instead of awesomely boring films.
Buh buh buh Ghost in the Shell.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Lafiel said:
Maybe you are just easily impressed? lots of action is enough to make you like a show i mean REALLY?!
If the action is really good, then yes. HOWEVER, the rest of the show has to be at least unoffensive, if not capable of keeping my attention, because otherwise it acrues points against it, and at a certain point, even the action can't save it. I'm gonna be watching the next episode and none further, especially since they clearly won't make all the great jokes that they could with the subject material, stuff like unwanted/oblivious to harem, fucking all the bitches, etc.

Because my name is doomed1
and doomed1 is in it for ALL THE BITCHES, bitches.

Nichijou 2

It's just so well-executed: both the random humor (rollcake!) and the beautiful animation (that notebook scene!). As always with sketch comedy, it can be hit-and-miss (I didn't get the Cleaning scene), but there were fewer segments that fell short this time than last. If it keeps up this level of quality, it's going to be a real gem.

InfiniteNine said:

Best month of anime this year confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom