• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

My neighbour totoro(turns out TV ain't so useless after all)

lucky me, I happen to turn on my kinda new plasma, which i never watch first thing that happen to be on was totoro which was just starting(at 2pm wtf).

watching two little mischievous girls running around at 50mph with there crazy imagination was very heart warming and they reminded me of my nieces who cause there parents a lot trouble like all kids.

Jesus these little girls would run laps around me, i think am gonna go jogging now

Cat bus lol oh miyazakii you crazy

love film4 they show miyazaki but at weird times like 10am.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
flawfuls said:
I'm with Dresden and cosmicblizzard. Dog Days 2 was surprisingly fun.

As usual Cats > Dogs.

Can't help but laugh when there is a massive explosion and a bunch of fur balls come rolling out.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
I'll have to watch it again, but I remember it being really pretty dull and vastly eclipsed by the superior TV show.
Well, I haven't sat down with the first movie for a few years but I'm sure it's pretty good.
icarus-daedelus said:
Which reminds me, I have to add Patlabor TV to the endless backlog. You said that was good, right?
Indeed I did. It's weird to think how different some of his properties are in tone, even within the same franchise. Even though the Patlabor TV and films are all Patlabor they're pretty different to each other.

Should be enjoyable as long you're not one to demand a strong over-arching plot.

Not to mention:

35044km.gif

icarus-daedelus said:
I'll have to watch it again, but I remember it being really pretty dull and vastly eclipsed by the superior TV show.

Which reminds me, I have to add Patlabor TV to the endless backlog. You said that was good, right?

Well that's because the TV show was incredible but, and it might have just been me, watching the movie after the series gives you a MUCH greater appreciation for it. Lots of things make much more sense and it's easier to follow

flawfuls

Hanasaku Iroha 2

If this show keeps this up it'll end up my favourite anime in years. The animation was significantly downgraded from the first episode as expected, but I still enjoyed this episode even more than the first. The writing is still great and Ohana is shaping up to be a fantastic character.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Dog Days 2
Oh geeze, am I gonna have to watch episode 3 to see how he copes with being stuck there? I swear, if he rebounds and it's all "Oh, that's totally cool, let's keep fighting lol!" I am going to be SOOOO disappointed, but then it'll allow me to drop the fucking thing without any qualms.

Uchip

Banned
Is dog days one of those shows where they dont bother explaining why everyone has animals ears and its just there for moe?

hellclerk

Uchip said:
Is dog days one of those shows where they dont bother explaining why everyone has animals ears and its just there for moe?
It's an alternate universe where there's magic and people turn into little Yukkuri Head cats and dogs when they get defeated. The animal ears are the LEAST of the worries.

But yes, the ears are probably mostly there for moe.

Uchip

Banned
doomed1 said:
It's an alternate universe where there's magic and people turn into little Yukkuri Head cats and dogs when they get defeated. The animal ears are the LEAST of the worries.

But yes, the ears are probably mostly there for moe.

lmao
well thank you for destroying any interest i had :)

hellclerk

Uchip said:
lmao
well thank you for destroying any interest i had :)
Eh, I'd say watch the second episode first. It's got that sort of ridiculous battle thing going for it. Getting uptight over something being moe-moe is pretty dumb, and for once the main character isn't a useless timid sack of shit. I don't really think much of it, but if you go in mindless, you'll at least get what you came for.

Uchip

Banned
doomed1 said:
Eh, I'd say watch the second episode first. It's got that sort of ridiculous battle thing going for it. Getting uptight over something being moe-moe is pretty dumb, and for once the main character isn't a useless timid sack of shit. I don't really think much of it, but if you go in mindless, you'll at least get what you came for.

eh
it was more the yukkuri thing thats my pet animu peeve
I have nothing against cute characters. infact I love them...
its just that when everything is cute, nothing is (see k-on)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
doomed1 said:
Dog Days 2
Oh geeze, am I gonna have to watch episode 3 to see how he copes with being stuck there? I swear, if he rebounds and it's all "Oh, that's totally cool, let's keep fighting lol!" I am going to be SOOOO disappointed, but then it'll allow me to drop the fucking thing without any qualms.

Reminds me of Familiar of Zero where the guy totally doesn't care where he is..

duckroll

Hanasaku Iroha Ep2

So this is what a lower budget episode looks like. Not bad. The animation isn't as fluid, and the art isn't as detailed, but it looks decent and isn't offensive at all. I think I know exactly what I like about this show now. While the personalities of the characters and the situations might be relatively stock material, the actual execution of scenes and dialogue are really random. Everyone in the show seems a little bit insane, especially the main character. It's pretty entertaining because there's a sense of realism in the insanity and randomness which is a bit closer to real life than stock anime writing.

Tiger and Bunny

still liking the "superheroes at the mercy of corporate sponsors" angle

Kotetsu being a cool guy with helping out and eventually recruiting new blood.

While he won this recent battle he hasn't won the war in regards to being popular (his daughter is now a fan of Barnaby lol. It must suck he can't tell her anything.)

Barnaby teasing another plot?

Jex

Hanasaku Iroha 2

I just watched this back-to-back with the first episode. The animation isn't as good, but it's still rather nice and the direction isn't as slick but it's still pretty darn good. One can only pray that they keep this up.

The characters and writing are still excellent, perhaps even more interesting than the first episode. You could certainly make the argument that they're cut from a certain stock, but as ******* has taught us, everything can be boiled down to a set of common base elements. The tweaks are what separates boring shows from good shows. The characters are certainly being played up a notch, but they're not completely over-the-top.

Ohara herself is pretty amazing. Her solutions for everyday domestic problems aren't that dissimilar from how a shounen protagonist tackle insurmountable obstacles - she tackles them in an aggressively head on fashion.

Still running uncontested for show of the season.

The main musical theme is woeful.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A Black Falcon said:
Softenni
So are you saying that you didn't like the Kampfer OVA, or haven't you seen it yet?
Kampfer episode 12, which was the two Natsurus being married to each other or something. I treat the OVAs as something completely extra.

Anyway, sci-fi... what about some of the masters of the genre, like Azimov and Ray Bradbury? Foundation, Bradbury's short stories, etc... great stuff. (On that note, the Ray Bradbury TV series, with half hour episodes based on a bunch of his stories, was really interesting and is definitely worth watching). Turning to more recent authors I also like Jack McDevitt, who has some post-apocalyptic books and some futuristic ones.
With fantasy and science fiction, part of it comes down to people who are too focused on world building. It's usually why the opening of these things are rather inane to get through. You have to introduce all these names with apostrophes and consonants in them to make them sound alien and then go off on the mythology. Heck, even the first Ice and Fire book has this whole side story about a girl and her dragon eggs... which I'm sure pays off in book 5 or whatever, but I remember being so put off by those chapters (also, THE NORTH AND THE WINTER!!!!!). A lot of science fiction isn't much better.

As for Bradbury and Asimov, I really haven't revisited their stuff since high school... and as I've come to realize, most of what I liked when I was a teenager just doesn't hold up. I'm almost afraid to read their stuff now, lest I ruin my memory of their work.

I can't think of much TV fantasy that's actually good... at least anime has some, even if lots of it is really generic at least it exists!
It can't help but be cheesy. It's funny though, with this pseudo-renaissance with all the Arthur-based shows. Just add sex, have some guys impale each other with swords, and boom, instant hit on your hands.

Here's hoping the A Song of Ice and Fire project turns out good though. There's something quaint about imagining a 7 year fantasy television series on HBO.

icarus-daedelus said:
No, don't worry, I still hate The Sky Crawlers. :p Angel's Egg and Twilight Q ep 2 are awesome, as are, I suspect, Beautiful Dreamer and Gosenzosama Banbanzai, if I ever get around to watching 'em.

My copies of both the Sky Crawlers game and the BD are sealed. Sigh. :lol

/XX/

7Th said:
Tadashi Hiramatsu should drop the Eva bullshit and go back to working in Ghost Rhapsody.
So much true it is actually maddening, especially if what Hiroyuki Yamaga said is real and because of this the project has been completely halted alongside the other two projects announced at the same time:

Q (in English): 2009 announced at Fanimecon 3 projects (e.g., an Abenobashi special). Any news?

A (Hiroyuki Yamaga): Tadashi Hiramatsu is working at khara on the Evangelion movies. There are no resources at the moment.
http://www.sos-brigade.de/wordpress/6426/connichi-2010-gainax-dantalian-no-shoka-panel

One of those new projects stopped is that new Abenobashi Mahō Shōtengai (アベノ橋 魔法☆商店街) special, and the other one is possibly the project for which Hiroyuki Yamaga and Takami Akai made a business trip for usable documentation in Yonago City, Japan.

Lafiel said:
Oh man Hideki anno? I'm sold.
And also Mr. Kitakubo, Mr. Otsuka, Mr. Mori, Mr. Honda, Mr. Inoue, Mr. Maeda... For an adult's OVA, it doesn't get better than this, seriously.

Jexhius said:
Hanasaku Iroha 2

Ohara herself is pretty amazing. Her solutions for everyday domestic problems aren't that dissimilar from how a shounen protagonist tackle insurmountable obstacles - she tackles them in an aggressively head on fashion.

hot blooded shounen passion.

/XX/ said:
One of those new projects stopped is that new Abenobashi Mahō Shōtengai (アベノ橋 魔法☆商店街) special, and the other one is possibly the project for which Hiroyuki Yamaga and Takami Akai made a business trip for usable documentation in Yonago City, Japan.

Wait wait wait wait wait

There was gonna be a new Abenobashi ep? Interesting

Jex

firehawk12 said:
With fantasy and science fiction, part of it comes down to people who are too focused on world building..As for Bradbury and Asimov, I really haven't revisited their stuff since high school... and as I've come to realize, most of what I liked when I was a teenager just doesn't hold up. I'm almost afraid to read their stuff now, lest I ruin my memory of their work.
Bradbury has god mode on all the time. As he's written so much short fiction, he can introduce a character and setting in a page, if he needs too.

I remember picking up one of his short story collections and it opens with his introduction saying something along the lines of -
People ask "Is it hard to come up with so many stories?" I don't really know how to answer that question because every day I get up and have so many ideas to write about.
I'm sure such a thing must annoy other authors!

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Whisper of the Heart BD, July 20th~

icarus-daedelus said:
That sex scene sure went on forever.

Well the one after that one was much better looking anyway.

/XX/ said:

And also Mr. Kitakubo, Mr. Otsuka, Mr. Mori, Mr. Honda, Mr. Inoue, Mr. Maeda... For an adult's OVA, it doesn't get better than this, seriously.

I totally forgot about that Abenobashi special...oh well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
Bradbury has god mode on all the time. As he's written so much short fiction, he can introduce a character and setting in a page, if he needs too.

I remember picking up one of his short story collections and it opens with his introduction saying something along the lines of -

I'm sure such a thing must annoy other authors!
He's prolific, but is he still good? I mean, every year there's a Philip K. Dick movie adaptation after all... and most of his stuff are just random ideas in narrative form.

---

Hanasaku Iroha: No wonder Ohana's voice sounds familiar. She's in that new Softenni thing and was Saten in Railgun. Also, Omigawa makes my ears bleed again.

As for the show itself, it's really shaping up to be Ristorante Paradiso + Aria. Or, Working!! if it was actually about working and not wacky staff hijinks. Best show of the season, by far.

Instro

Nichijou 2

I liked this episode more than the previous, way fewer boring parts and some really great bits like the notebook scene and rollcake. Great episode really, Ill keep watching for sure.

Dresden

Beautiful Dreamer is a monocle movie (monoclevie?)? Gosenzosama certainly is, but Dreamer is like, mustache-club approved.

Hanasaku Iroha:

Hey, another good episode.

Slowly falling in love with a dimensionally challenged fictional character.

Nichijou 2
I don't actually hate this which is a big accomplishment for a recent KyoAni production. This episode was much more enjoyable than the last one and the animation is outstanding, not that this is surprising for a KyoAni production.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Dresden said:
Beautiful Dreamer is a monocle movie (monoclevie?)? Gosenzosama certainly is, but Dreamer is like, mustache-club approved.

Hanasaku Iroha:

Hey, another good episode.

Slowly falling in love with a dimensionally challenged fictional character.

Would be better if Nato wasnt there. WE GET IT ALREADY, SHES RETARDED.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
Wow. I feel like I just got trolled by the Dog Days 2 lovers.

Damn you guys. :lol
I thought my post on it made it clear it's just action-y fluff! I mean, explosions exploding.

icarus-daedalus said:
I think my biggest complaint is how often the wacky comedy antics intrude upon the atmosphere of heavy surrealism. The monocle moments were clearly superior to the parts where it has to connect back to the tv show by necessity of being an actual Urusei Yatsura movie. *lights pipe*

Drop some of the Takahashi trappings and it'd be even awesomer, I bet. Then again, I suppose one could make the argument that the lighter base moments allow the surrealism to hit you like a ton of bricks once it does show up.

Damn, what a cool movie.
I loved the comedy stuff too, but I can see how someone with a firm grip on their monocles might approach it. /twirls mustache

Looking forward to your take on Gosenzosama. *cue 7th: Oshii's greatest work.*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
I thought my post on it made it clear it's just action-y fluff! I mean, explosions exploding.
I thought I'd be watching cat girls fighting dog girls... not some weird arena battle with boobie-infused fanservice. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom