• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynedom

Izayoi said:
The fact that Kon and Miyazaki aren't 1 and 2 proves they're batshit crazy anyway.

Haha. Touche.

Aigis said:
Tomino deserves #1 for Garzey's Wing!

Tomino deserves a #1 simply for swinging from moments of brilliance (I dunno, all of Zeta Gundam? Dunbine arguably?) to moments of insanity (killing off pretty much his entire cast. Won't spoil the name of the anime) to hilariously bad (Victory Gundam).

Such diversity!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko 5
iZTRb.png

This is such a very precarious anime... Sometimes I'm wondering if they're just trolling me with moe or putting a naive narrator perspective on a very down to earth narrative of the troubles of high functioning mental disease and being different. The use of perspective, dissonant audio cues, characterizations and dialog structure sends some very strong messages, so I'll keep with the latter for now, but the moe is still strong...

Oh, and Meme is still awesome. Her change in engaging her daughter really is a bit heartwarming because it shows that she's less depressed. So does the way she screws with the Motoko, it's less cynical, but at the same time just as hilarious. And finally, that old lady. Hilarious.

Steroyd

doomed1 said:
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko 5
http://i.imgur.com/iZTRb.png[IMG]
This is such a very precarious anime... Sometimes I'm wondering if they're just trolling me with moe or putting a naive narrator perspective on a very down to earth narrative of the troubles of high functioning mental disease and being different. The use of perspective, dissonant audio cues, characterizations and dialog structure sends some very strong messages, so I'll keep with the latter for now, but the moe is still strong...[/QUOTE]

I can condense this paragraph into 1 word.

SHAFT.

Articalys

All I know is that Shaft does a hell of a job with pacing and managing dialog scenes, though (for their adaptations at least) some of that might go to the original novel author who wrote the lines in the first place.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I can only imagine how they would represent PEI. :lol
Assuming they did a straight adaptation though, you may be in for an interesting ride... but then again, I guess you've already seen a movie version.
I'd haft to imagine this is a very faithful page-by-page adaptation because 6 episodes later and barely anything has happened!

In comparison to the PBS mini-series i saw, this is a lot better, mostly because of how takahata signature directional style seems to play very well with anne active imagination, plus the rest of the production is of the usual high-quality you'd expect of the staff.

I'd haft to read the book sometime, and see how this compares.:lol

Articalys said:
From May 6 through May 13 there was a user-conducted poll on BIGLOBE to vote on your favorite anime director, with roughly 14,000 participants voting. According to the results, here were the top ten directors:

1) Akiyuki Shinbo (Madoka, Bakemonogatari, Soredemo, everything Shaft has done in the last five years) -- 1,669 votes
2) Yutaka Yamamoto (Fractale, Kannagi) -- 1,565 votes
3) Tatsuyuki Nagai (AnoHana, Railgun, Toradora) -- 1,543 votes

Shinbo at number #1 makes me rage. At the bottom of the list there's a number of great directors on there, at least, even if the top 3 is so so wrong.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lafiel said:
I'd haft to imagine this is a very faithful page-by-page adaptation because 6 episodes later and barely anything has happened!

In comparison to the PBS mini-series i saw, this is a lot better, mostly because of how takahata signature directional style seems to play very well with anne active imagination, plus the rest of the production is of the usual high-quality you'd expect of the staff.

I'd haft to read the book sometime, and see how this compares.:lol
I remember watching the last episode a while ago when I first head about the adaptation, but since it's all denoument so not much happens. I imagine it'd have a lot of time to show all the active flourishes of the open of the text though. The thing's 50 something episodes, I believe?

It makes me all the more curious (and perhaps hopeful) to one day see Konnichiwa Anne. It makes no sense why some Canadian company hasn't licensed this thing for broadcast on some cartoon network. Perfect Canadiana.

Shinbo at number #1 makes me rage. At the bottom of the list there's a number of great directors on there, at least, even if the top 3 is so so wrong.
Everyone is Shinbo's bitch!

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
They're trying their best not to be definitive, which means they're being coy for a reason. That said, it's possible that they're trying to troll the speculah guys and the Occam's Razor solution is the right one after all.
c06qE.jpg

They certainly are trolling me.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I imagine it'd have a lot of time to show all the active flourishes of the open of the text though. The thing's 50 something episodes, I believe?
Yeah it's 50-episodes tops.

And yeah I'd assume something like that, considering they are a number of visual shots throughout the series that can last up to 3 to 5 minutes with no dialogue whatsoever.

[C] 3,4

Ms. Sato's english and the english of her boss just seemed random and weird, otherwise, apart from the style, the Midas and its effects on real life is intriguing. Main character's eye positioning is weird. I cant get over it even four episodes in. Actually the cinematography and camera work is cool, but confusing, for example I cant tell if the assets are always out of the cards or always in?

Erigu

[Anohana]
firehawk12 said:
I noted how they went out of their way to avoid clearly showing Menma telling Jintan what to say. You don't hear her whisper and it's mostly implied that she relayed information to him.
My argument is that it's possible that at some point in the past, he could have had that memory in his subconscious and pulled it out at the right moment.
But if Menma is just his subconscious playing tricks on him, why not have her tell him about that, then? There's no need to avoid showing that for your scenario to work...
I'd say the reason we didn't hear Menma say that was a lot more mundane (Jexhius explained that one already).

They're trying their best not to be definitive, which means they're being coy for a reason.
I don't think they are. On the contrary: I'd say the situation was pretty clear from episode 1. There would have been ways to keep the whole thing ambiguous, but they squandered that from the word go, with that scene at Menma's, and other characters feeling something when she touches them.
Technically, I guess you could still end with a twist that argues "unreliable narrator! (yes, even those scenes where he wasn't present: he was dreaming them!)" or "coincidences! the cup actually fell for another, perfectly natural reason, and the characters were just feeling the wind/bad/whatever, not Menma's presence at all!", but I would call that a cop-out.

I think the only reason she doesn't manipulate objects while others are looking is because they don't want to change the current "the others have no evidence and Jintan himself still isn't 100% sure what to make of it" statu quo, and to keep the story from going into some logical-but-unfortunate-for-the-intended-plot-and-tone directions. Too bad it's quite contrived, in my opinion...

zeroshiki

Dynedom said:
Haha. Touche.

Tomino deserves a #1 simply for swinging from moments of brilliance (I dunno, all of Zeta Gundam? Dunbine arguably?) to moments of insanity (killing off pretty much his entire cast. Won't spoil the name of the anime) to hilariously bad (Victory Gundam).

Such diversity!

I think everyone's heard of Zeta by now.

Re: anime list

7-10 should be on top. Oh wait, just below Taniguchi Goro of course.

Branduil

Like I said yesterday, Menma being a hallucination would be a Heavy Rain-level twist, in that the creators would have fabricated scenes that could not have possibly happened or make any sense, solely in order to trick the viewers.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:
Like I said yesterday, Menma being a hallucination would be a Heavy Rain-level twist, in that the creators would have fabricated scenes that could not have possibly happened or make any sense, solely in order to trick the viewers.
Yep, I totally agree. I'm just bracing myself in case they decide to do the ultimate troll.

Branduil

firehawk12 said:
Yep, I totally agree. I'm just bracing myself in case they decide to do the ultimate troll.
But there will be a twist ending. It's just going to be
Tsuruko murdering Menma
instead.

Seikon no Qwaser II - 4
Finally, guess the group decided to stop with the hq censored. Anyway, so much Katja love, I loved it to death. My favorite "tremble, prostrate yourself before me in fear" was missing. I cant believe the guy had the audacity to call the girls perverts...he is clearly the pervert, tying up naked girls...
tumblr_ll60dhZLX31qbxqfpo1_500.png

Jarmel

Banned
Articalys said:
From May 6 through May 13 there was a user-conducted poll on BIGLOBE to vote on your favorite anime director, with roughly 14,000 participants voting. According to the results, here were the top ten directors:

1) Akiyuki Shinbo (Madoka, Bakemonogatari, Soredemo, everything Shaft has done in the last five years) -- 1,669 votes
2) Yutaka Yamamoto (Fractale, Kannagi) -- 1,565 votes
3) Tatsuyuki Nagai (AnoHana, Railgun, Toradora) -- 1,543 votes
4) Tsutomu Mizushima (Ikamusume, Big Windup) -- 805 votes
5) Yoshiyuki Tomino (Gundam, Dunbine) -- 801 votes
6) Goro Taniguchi (Code Geass, Planetes) -- 558 votes
7) Hayao Miyazaki (Ponyo, Nausicaä) -- 430 votes
8) Hideaki Anno (Evangelion, Kare Kano) -- 412 votes
9) Mamoru Hosoda (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars) -- 352 votes
10) Satoshi Kon (Paprika, Millennium Actress) -- 311 votes

And here are the rest:

11) Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, Urusei Yatsura) -- 301 votes
12) Junichi Sato (Aria the Animation, Sailor Moon) -- 300 votes
13) Shinji Takamatsu (Gintama, Sora no Manimani) -- 289 votes
14) Makoto Shinkai (5 Centimeters Per Second, Voices of a Distant Star) -- 262 votes
15) Kenji Kamiyama (Eden of the East, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex) -- 246 votes
16) Seiji Kishi (Angel Beats!, Seto no Hanayome) -- 214 votes
17) Osamu Dezaki (Ashita no Joe, Clannad) -- 208 votes
18) Ei Aoki (Hourou Musuko, Ga-Rei: Zero) -- 203 votes
19) Seiji Mizushima (Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Fullmetal Alchemist) -- 200 votes
20) Shoji Kawamori (Aquarion, Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?) -- 196 votes
21) Tatsuya Ishihara (Nichijou, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) -- 181 votes
22) Tensai Okamura (Ao no Exorcist, Darker than BLACK) -- 179 votes
23) Masaaki Yuasa (The Tatami Galaxy, Mind Game) -- 172 votes
24) Takahiro Omori (Durarara!!, Natsume Yuujinchou) -- 165 votes
25) Shinichiro Watanabe (Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop) -- 155 votes
26) Koji Masunari (Kamichu!, Welcome to THE SPACE SHOW) -- 151 votes
27) Kenji Nakamura (C The Money of Soul and Possibility, Mononoke, Kūchū Buranko) -- 149 votes
28) Junji Nishimura (Simoun, true tears) -- 147 votes
29) Keiichi Satou (Tiger & Bunny, Karas) -- 143 votes
30) Akitaro Daichi (Gag Manga Biyori, Fruits Basket) -- 140 votes
31) Ryousuke Takahashi (Armored Trooper Votoms, Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto) -- 120 votes
31) Yasuhiro Imagawa (Shin Mazinger Shōgeki! Z-Hen, G Gundam) -- 120 votes
33) Yoshimasa Hiraike (Amagami SS, Working!!) -- 115 votes
34) Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira, Steamboy) -- 111 votes
35) Takuya Igarashi (Star Driver, Ouran High School Host Club) -- 108 votes
36) Isao Takahata (Pom Poko, Jarinko Chie) -- 95 votes
37) Kazuki Akane (Escaflowne: The Movie, Birdy the Mighty Decode) -- 91 votes
38) Yoshitomo Yonetani (Dororon Enma-kun, GaoGaiGar: King of Braves) -- 80 votes
39) Kazuhiro Furuhashi (Mobile Suit Gundam UC, Zipang) -- 78 votes
40) Kenichi Kasai (Bakuman, Honey and Clover) -- 77 votes
41) Koichi Mashimo (tie) (Hyouge Mono, MADLAX) -- 73 votes
41) Tomomi Mochizuki (tie) (Ocean Waves, Twin Spica) -- 73 votes
43) Hiroshi Hamasaki (STEINS;GATE, Texhnolyze) -- 65 votes
44) Hiroaki Sakurai (Kaichō wa Maid-sama!, GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class) -- 63 votes
45) Yuzo Sato (Kaiji, Tohai Densetu Akagi -Yamini Maiorita Tensai-) -- 62 votes
46) Rintaro (Captain Harlock: Mystery of the Arcadia, Yona Yona Penguin) -- 59 votes
47) Keizou Kusakawa (Dog Days, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's) -- 57 votes
48) Tetsuro Amino (Break Blade, Macross 7) -- 55 votes
49) Hiroyuki Hoshiyama (Taiyou no Kiba Dougram, Aoki Ryūsei SPT Layzner) -- 42 votes
49) Noboru Ishiguro (Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Tytania) -- 42 votes

(original source ANN)

What the fuck. Why is Watanabe at 25? What is this garbage? God damn I think I'm starting to hate Japanese anime fans in general.

Uchip

Banned
Infinite Justice said:
Madoka strikes again?

the series seemed to attract huge amounts of yuri fans even though there was only one "intimate" scene in the entire show and it wasn't sexual in the slightest

maybe they start imagining the different character tropes together in their minds in one big hentai orgy and the result is what works best

Uchip said:
the series seemed to attract huge amounts of yuri fans even though there was only one "intimate" scene in the entire show and it wasn't sexual in the slightest

maybe they start imagining the different character tropes together in their minds in one big hentai orgy and the result is what works best
Anime fans will ship anything. Tiger and Bunny is the Yaoi fan's show of choice this season.

Uchip

Banned
Salazar said:
Spice and Wolf is amazing.

I get fucking mad when folks mess with Holo.

I dont because she can mess them up :p
kind of feel more pity for lawrence being mortal and getting caught up in dire situation.

jman2050

Uchip said:

Two phrases: "Magical girl show" and "Ume Aoki"

There's your explanation.

Salazar said:

Are those people still alive?, cant remember.

Season 3 plz :(

Uchip said:

Thats what being an anime fan is all about. :p

Articalys

Salazar said:

gaaaaaah
that does it
I have been putting off watching this series for way too long
I am going to go watch this RIGHT NOW

Risette

A Good Citizen
Articalys said:
gaaaaaah
that does it
I was gonna watch it soon but Funi announced both seasons on Blu-ray today so I'll wait until August 2nd!

Izayoi

Banned
Articalys said:
gaaaaaah
that does it
WHY HAVEN'T YOU PEOPLE SEEN THIS SHOW YET

SERIOUSLY

STOP WATCHING OTHER SHIT AND GO SEE S&W

AM I YELLING ENOUGH?

Uchip said:
ive been doin it wrong then :(
Nah, you're right. Definitely the recipe for a yuri fest.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
InfiniteNine said:
Massively heavy on the awesome.
More talking than Bakemono!!!!

Branduil said:
But there will be a twist ending. It's just going to be
Tsuruko murdering Menma
instead.
Works for me. Tsuruko is also a man!

Erigu said:
[Anohana]

I don't think they are. On the contrary: I'd say the situation was pretty clear from episode 1. There would have been ways to keep the whole thing ambiguous, but they squandered that from the word go, with that scene at Menma's, and other characters feeling something when she touches them.
Technically, I guess you could still end with a twist that argues "unreliable narrator! (yes, even those scenes where he wasn't present: he was dreaming them!)" or "coincidences! the cup actually fell for another, perfectly natural reason, and the characters were just feeling the wind/bad/whatever, not Menma's presence at all!", but I would call that a cop-out.

I think the only reason she doesn't manipulate objects while others are looking is because they don't want to change the current "the others have no evidence and Jintan himself still isn't 100% sure what to make of it" statu quo, and to keep the story from going into some logical-but-unfortunate-for-the-intended-plot-and-tone directions. Too bad it's quite contrived, in my opinion...

Missed this on the last page. Maybe I just assume anything involving ghosts will involve a twist, because supernatural stuff is hardly played straight. I also think it'd be more interesting if it was Jintan dealing with mental illness rather than just a ghost hanging around that conveniently never reveals herself when other people are around.

But, like I said, if she's a ghost that fades away in the last episode, then that's fine with me.

Aigis said:
I was gonna watch it soon but Funi announced both seasons on Blu-ray today so I'll wait until August 2nd!
Really? Fuck yeah! Been waiting for the second season DVDs forever but blu-rays make it even better.

Risette

A Good Citizen
hosannainexcelsis said:
Sweet. Think I'll watch the series on Netflix just to make sure this will be a good investment.
Isn't the Netflix version dubbed?

People say that the Japanese voices are really good and perfect for the characters or something. I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom