• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

How do you even do ID checks on otaku? If you already know this dude buys eroge and junior idol videos, would a jaywalking conviction make a difference?

Jex

zeroshiki said:
How do you even do ID checks on otaku? If you already know this dude buys eroge and junior idol videos, would a jaywalking conviction make a difference?
These are the kinds of questions I don't want answers to.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Angry Grimace said:
Unless you're Keima from The World God Only Knows, my guess is you're probably out of luck since as far as I understand, its just as shameful to be a loser who spends all day watching moe crap as it is everywhere else in the world.
And finding out that the light at the end of the tunnel, was an illusion.

Brb, gonna go end it all.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Nadja: episodes something or other and the last two episodes.

251_nadja.gif

Totally worth it for crazy bitch Rosemary and dat ED.

Airan

Nichijou 5-6 - This show went from "what the hell is this it makes no sense ugh?" to "Oh my god this is so insanely absurd that I LOVE IT!" in the space of two episodes.The deer scene, the camping scene, jankenpo, soccer, all of it! Even the Nano/professor stuff were cute intermissions!

Articalys

2003-2004? That's a lot more recent than I would have thought from the style of that gif.
Voice of Nadja? Ami Koshimizu, of course. First role. Sang the ED song as well.
And I misread that as "Nadia" about the first five times I saw those posts.

Izayoi

Banned
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 33-46 - Aw shit, it's on now. I'm surprised that this hasn't started to drag on. I was worried when I got to the late twenties and it seemed like the series was coming to end with more than 30 episodes left, figured it would get real slow and drawn out. Glad to see that isn't the case at all.

mAcOdIn

Articalys said:
Certainly.
If I actually had a Blu-ray player.

Well, the sale runs through the 26th, I've got time to figure it out.
The Spice and Wolf season 2 Bluray comes with the DVDs, buy it and be prepared!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Najda... mother fuck, that Rosemary ending. So much rage with how they just ended that thread. To be unreasonably hyperbolic, it's as if Hitler showed up at the end of a movie and talked about how bad racism/anti-Semitism was and then waltzed off to hang out in the Austrian hills to restart his life.

A good message ruined by being delivered by a character who deserves so much to be punished. Bleh.

Articalys

So I ran some price comparisons and it turns out that even not knowing about the other anime DVD sites I didn't really miss out on any deals for stuff I've bought recently. Phew. However it's good to know all my options for purchasing decisions in the near future.
Still, the 16-episode Baccano is $24 at the lowest SD but jumps to $55 for the BD... did anyone already have the DVD but bite on the HD upgrade? At least the Spice and Wolf Blu-ray is the same price as the standard def, and as noted season II comes with both at once. Why is high definition so expensive...
Yeah yeah, I know, I should be willing to pay more for my hobby in high quality and all that... but gotta get that BD player first anyway.

How often do you guys rewatch the series you buy? I guess I should eventually get around to going back through some of my stuff and watch in the opposite language from originally.

mAcOdIn

Articalys said:
So I ran some price comparisons and it turns out that even not knowing about the other anime DVD sites I didn't really miss out on any deals for stuff I've bought recently. Phew. However it's good to know all my options for purchasing decisions in the near future.
Still, the 16-episode Baccano is $24 at the lowest SD but jumps to $55 for the BD... did anyone already have the DVD but bite on the HD upgrade? At least the Spice and Wolf Blu-ray is the same price as the standard def, and as noted season II comes with both at once. Why is high definition so expensive...
Yeah yeah, I know, I should be willing to pay more for my hobby in high quality and all that... but gotta get that BD player first anyway.

How often do you guys rewatch the series you buy? I guess I should eventually get around to going back through some of my stuff and watch in the opposite language from originally.
I bit on Baccano, haven't got the Bluray yet, probably arriving tomorrow and I'm biting on Spice and Wolf season one and two as well, well really just season one since I don't own season two, yet.

But the amount of stuff I own is actually pretty small, like there's a few shows I enjoy this season but I wouldn't buy any of them, so anime's not THAT expensive a habit for me as I just buy what I'll rewatch as opposed to everything I've ever enjoyed. Well ok, outside Project A-ko which I have coming as well, it may suck but the nostalgia compels me to buy it.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Najda... mother fuck, that Rosemary ending. So much rage with how they just ended that thread. To be unreasonably hyperbolic, it's as if Hitler showed up at the end of a movie and talked about how bad racism/anti-Semitism was and then waltzed off to hang out in the Austrian hills to restart his life.

A good message ruined by being delivered by a character who deserves so much to be punished. Bleh.
Not to be hyperbolic, but Hitler...

It did suck though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
Not to be hyperbolic, but Hitler...

It did suck though.
Godwin's Law is also Occam's Razor - easiest example is the best example!

Articalys said:

Honesty, they tricked me into buying it due to the weird collector mentality in me. The fact that they're raising the price after June 1st and and the set will only get one single printing means that if you don't buy the BD set now, you may never get it.

Well, until the 4k Bluray 2.0 version comes out 5 years from now and we're all watching anime on 100" TVs.

trejo

Miyu TV 7

After last episode's surprisingly happy ending, the show goes back to it's usual shenanigans.

Miyu TV 8

Miyu's friends have all seen their fair share of weird shit so far but magical shoes that give you confidence? Now that's just silly and unscientific.

Miyu TV 9

NTR cat is stealing your women.

Miyu TV 10

Chisato is really kinda clueless to her surroundings most of the time, isn't she?

So far so good but once I'm done with this I feel I'm gonna need to offset it with the most saccharine sweet shit I can think of. Something like Chi's sweet home or the like because otherwise I fear this show will leave me clinically depressed.

7Th

Did you guys watch the episode in which Rosemary makes fun of Nadja while being all lovey-dovey with her mom? Because if you did, I totally get the rage at Rosemary's ending.

tiff

Banned
Moshidora 1-2 - Gonna be fun watching her try to fit business concepts into running a baseball team. Like marketing is... working on team chemistry or something? Whatever!

And the Spice and Wolf sale only runs through the 26th? Shit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
7Th said:
Did you guys watch the episode in which Rosemary makes fun of Nadja while being all lovey-dovey with her mom? Because if you did, I totally get the rage at Rosemary's ending.
Yup. Ultimate bitch troll.

Steroyd

trejo said:
Miyu TV 7

After last episode's surprisingly happy ending, the show goes back to it's usual shenanigans.

Miyu TV 8

Miyu's friends have all seen their fair share of weird shit so far but magical shoes that give you confidence? Now that's just silly and unscientific.

Miyu TV 9

NTR cat is stealing your women.

Miyu TV 10

Chisato is really kinda clueless to her surroundings most of the time, isn't she?

So far so good but once I'm done with this I feel I'm gonna need to offset it with the most saccharine sweet shit I can think of. Something like Chi's sweet home or the like because otherwise I fear this show will leave me clinically depressed.

Holy crap did you watch all that in 1 go!? O_O No wonder you feel like you're going to jump off a cliff.

Still haven't found a happy happy joy joy anime to counterbalance Miyu yet, Hetalia World Series isn't enough.

Jex

Once again, the results are in for SaiMecha, the only anime voting contest of note.

Earth Side

Evangelion UNIT 01 vs Tachikoma (53.28% vs 46.72%)

VF-1 Valkyrie vs Sinanju (63.18% vs 36.82%)

Colonies Side

YF-19 Excalibur vs Gurren Lagann (53.26% vs 46.74%)

Zaku II vs Escaflowne (58.24% vs 41.76%)

Bonus Round

Any given Innovator vs Full Frontal vs Mister Bushido vs South Burning (36.8% vs 31.2% vs 23.6% vs 8.4%)

This largely went as I imagined, apart from the untimely defeat of Gurren Lagann. Damn Macross fans.

It was right that the Innovators won the "terrible name" competition. In a franchise packed with awful, stupid names they manage to come out on top. And people say there's nothing great about 00 S2!

Is this going to end with a VF-1 vs. Zaku show down? Such an event is pretty likely, given the way mecha fans have been voting. I'm tired of seeing the VF-1 win, even if it is an awesome design.

Finally finished watching Rin-Daughters of Mnemosyne last night.

It was....interesting to say the least. Been a while since I read its review on Blu-Ray.com (really only cared about the review score) so I totally forgot the series was really short (but I guess six 45min episodes was enough in the grand scheme of things)

Anyway, this shit was ridiculous (probably the only real way I could describe the show as a whole). The violence/torture scenes were a little too much IMO and I kinda felt the same way when it came to the sex & nudity. I actually liked the show's time jumps since it made for an interesting future that may or may not happen (but damn, it really sucks they had to kill off some characters I actually liked). And I actually liked Apos, even if he was a cruel asshole.

Overall, I'll give the series a solid B.

And for the rant: I bought this on BR from a retailer for $60. Who's fucking idea was it to have a six-episode anime series be priced at sixty fucking dollars? And I made sure to go to Amazon last night to check its pricing. Original price was $60 as well, but it's down to $35 which is beside the point IMO. The original $60 price tag is a such a goddamn joke. I also bought Ouran: High School Club on BR from the same retailer for $80 (Amazon has an original price of $70, but down to basically $45). I can actually find the original pricing for the Ouran set somewhat justifiable since it's more episodes on more discs. I'll order any anime shows that interest me from Amazon from now on, but holy shit the prices are goddamn rip-offs. I don't know how you guys put up with the sometimes ridiculous prices for some of these sets.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Steroyd said:
Holy crap did you watch all that in 1 go!? O_O No wonder you feel like you're going to jump off a cliff.

Still haven't found a happy happy joy joy anime to counterbalance Miyu yet, Hetalia World Series isn't enough.
Try Azumanga Daioh, and sing along to the OP.

trejo

Steroyd said:
Jesus no, that's over the last few days but I just hadn't posted about them. This is not a show you marathon like that unless you want to ask yourself why you even get out of bed in the morning.

Jex

I felt like watching a Isao Takahata series and with Lafiel covering Anne of Green Gables and Heidi, Girl of the Alps being largely unavailable the next logical choice seemed to be Marco/3000 Leagues in Search of Mother. As you do.

Marco (because it's quicker to type) Episode The First

Children in anime tend to be like children in any other medium: annoying, loud brats that run around distracting us from the more interesting adult characters. When they aren't aggravating they tend to be, well, difficult to connect with. After all, children aren't like small adults, they're their own thing entirely. As such writing them in a way that makes them seem plausible while also getting the audience to connect with their plight is no small task.

The easiest way to do this, of course, is by forcing the child into a difficult situation. Many stories revolve around kids being forced to change as a result of changes to their lifestyle (Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies and Heidi Girl of the Alps come to mind) because then we can feel sympathetic for their situation because it's not like the poor things have any control over their lives. However, putting someone through a tragic situation as a way to get us to care about a character is a cheap ploy and I appreciate it when a story will put in the effort to do a little bit more.

The first episode of Marco does a good job of putting us in Marco's shoes and letting us see the world through his eyes. We bond with him because of the characteristics he displays before the unfortunate incident is revealed to him. They don't short-cut the character development by throwing in tragedy right at the start. As we've bonded with him over the course of the episode we're in a much better position to relate with and understand his reactions. In other words, this is the good stuff.

Anime with realistic, subdued characters and a focus on drama? I think that I'll be fairly happy with this. Then again, that is Takhata's shtick. And what a glorious shtick it is!

Dresden

oh snap
Director Kunihiko Ikuhara (Revolutionary Girl Utena, several Sailor Moon television series) revealed at the "Spark ~Starchild Perfect Animation Work!~" event on Tuesday that his upcoming all-new television anime series, Mawaru PenguinDrum, will premiere this July. It is slated for 24 episodes. The story will revolve around three siblings — Ranba, Shōma, and Himari Takakura. Himari's voice actress Miho Arakawa joined Ikuhara at the event.

Starting this Thursday, the ongoing Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera television anime will show a different 20-second preview of Mawaru PenguinDrum every week for six weeks.
I thought it'd come out on Fall. I guess not.

Cwarrior

Steins gate ep07

Bravo fantastic epiosde, am sucked into this show, can't wait to see what happens next.
Like the part where christina got outed as a tsundere

My new show of season

jman2050

Steroyd said:
I've already seen that a billion times. :(

Although I could always replay the Chiyo in a penguin suit scene.

Woah, Miyu TV must be some sort of depressing if the only counter is the Chiyo penguin scene. That's usually reserved for only the most grimdark.

Jex

jman2050 said:
Woah, Miyu TV must be some sort of depressing if the only counter is the Chiyo penguin scene. That's usually reserved for only the most grimdark.
It's a well known last-ditch counter. Like silver for werewolves.

Steins;Gate 7

Imagine...this material with a competent studio! Typical, the only sci-fi anime of the season with a fairly interesting main character had to be handled by a weak studio.!

trejo

Enma-kun 6

D-did Enma just stick his head up
Yukiko's vajayjay
?

This show never ceases to amaze. They even got the no sound in space part right. Sort of.

Izayoi

Banned
trejo said:
Jesus no, that's over the last few days but I just hadn't posted about them. This is not a show you marathon like that unless you want to ask yourself why you even get out of bed in the morning.
Watch Aria!

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 47-54 - If I was gay, I would definitely marry Roy. Just saying. Also, dat female cast. I don't think there's a single unlikable female in the show. Goddamn.

Articalys

Izayoi said:
Watch Aria!

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 47-54 - If I was gay, I would definitely marry Roy. Just saying. Also, dat female cast. I don't think there's a single unlikable female in the show. Goddamn.
What was that Arakawa quote again? Something along the lines of "Men should be buff, women should be vavoom".

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ahahaha, I remember the original version of that joke but Hattori makes it so much better.

MCD

GKzZc.jpg

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-05-18/blood-lad-vampire-manga-anime-adaptation-listed

The Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko imprint's official website for the next Haruhi Suzumiya novel, Suzumiya Haruhi no Kyōgaku (The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya), began displaying a thumbnail image for the July issue of Kadokawa Shoten's Young Ace magazine on Wednesday; the image indicates that an anime adaptation project of Yūki Kodama's Blood Lad vampire manga is in the works. The magazine issue will not officially ship until June 4.

The black comedy follows a vampire named Staz who has his figurative heart stolen by Fuyumi, a human high school girl who suddenly appears in his world. Unfortunately, she is just as suddenly killed, and thus she becomes a ghost. Staz tries to bring Fuyumi back to life.

Kodama launched the manga in Young Ace in 2009, and Kadokawa Shoten will ship the fourth compiled book volume early next month. The July issue of the magazine will also feature the launch of Sanami Suzuki's Black Rock Shooter ~Innocent Soul~ manga, a "life-size" poster of the Evangelion character Rei Ayanami, a reversible writing board (shitajiki) of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, and alternate volume covers for the Blood Lad and Daisuki desu!! Mahō Tenshi Cosmos manga.

flawfuls

Infinite Justice said:
expect fillers lol

Fillers are for adaptations of popular manga and I don't think Blood Lad is particularly popular. I'm expecting something more along the lines of incomplete adaptation with no ending/shitty anime original ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom