• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiff

Banned
Oh hell yeah lists:

Astarotte no Omocha
Hanasaku Iroha
Maria+Holic Alive
Nichijou
Sket Dance
Koe de Oshigoto!
Moshidora

I've been meaning to start up Ano Hana all week but I keep putting it off. That plus Denpa Onna.
And i still feel like giving Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai a shot for some reason.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Following.

[C]
Nichijou
Anohana
Hanasaku iroha
Dororon enma-kun

Need to catch up on.

X-men
Tiger and bunny
Denpa (maybe)

How about no.
How can a fan of K-ON not being hyped up for Idolmaster!!

Maybe, but it seems Spring had so many enjoyable, if not amazing, shows that it will be very hard to beat. There's nearly something for everyone.

Summers tend to be weaker. But we'll see.
But summer has manmaru penguin drum which will probably be better than anything that has aired this season!

Having at least one stand-out and memorable show is better than having a bunch of good but forgettable shows in a sense.

That is assuming penguin drum lives up to that, I'm not getting to excited yet, after what happened to [C].

Not only that Bunny drop based on what i hear of the manga, will probably be the best character-driven drama this year since Wandering son.

Jex

Dresden said:
Plenty of other decent shows, but I just couldn't keep up.
Spring has been kind of a marathon. A few shows started to suck, but there's still so many other candidates.

The only series this season that I've managed to stay current with are:

Ano Hana
Hanasaku Iroha
Nichijou
Sket Dance

I intend to catch up on Denpa Onna soon. C, Tiger and Bunny, and Kaiji S2 are shelved for later.

KtSlime

Following at the moment:
Syouwa Monogatari
Nitijyou
AnoHana
HanaIro
Denpa Onna
Enma-kun
A Channel

As well as the series I've long been following.

About to dive into Mosidora - has anyone given it a shot? I figure even if the preview sucked a girl managing a baseball team has got to have a few jokes and endearing moments in it right?

flawfuls

ivedoneyourmom said:
Following at the moment:
Syouwa Monogatari
Nitijyou
AnoHana
HanaIro
Denpa Onna
Enma-kun
A Channel

As well as the series I've long been following.

About to dive into Mosidora - has anyone given it a shot? I figure even if the preview sucked a girl managing a baseball team has got to have a few jokes in it right?

Moshidora doesn't have much comedy, it's mostly serious.

trejo

OH, list time? Awesome.

Ano Hana
Azazel-san
Blue Exorcist
C
Denpa Onna
Dawg Dayz
Dororon Enma-kun
Fireball Charming
Hanasaku Iroha
Kaiji S2
Nichijou
Sket Dance
Maria Holic Alive
Steins;Gate
Tiger & Bunny
X-men

Some of these I need to catch up on but that's mostly what I'm following this season. Some for enjoyment and a few due to a sick sense of commitment, I guess.

Overall I'd say not bad. Not bad at all.

Oh! Forgot to add Hidan no Aria. Now that is a masterpiece.

Articalys

Oh man

Ouran High School Host Club Gets Live Action TV Series

The July issue of Hakusensha's LaLa magazine is announcing next Tuesday that a live-action television series adaptation of Bisco Hatori's Ouran High School Host Club romanic comedy manga has been green-lit for this July. The series on the TBS network will feature Yūsuke Yamamoto (Kamen Rider Kabuto, Hana Zakari no Kimi-tachi e) as the Host Club president Tamaki Suō and Haruna Kawaguchi (Yankee-kun to Megane-chan, Moshidora) as the heroine Haruhi Fujioka.

This could either be awesome or fail spectacularly.

Branduil

Nonoriri said:
Yeah man don't you get tired of being wrong all the time?
It's hard to get tired of something that doesn't happen.

Not seeing much on that list that looks particularly promising other than Usagi Drop.

Following:
Tiger and Bunny
Hanasaku Iroha
X-Men
Ano Hana
Blue Exorcist
Toriko
Dororon Enma-kun Meramera

Want to check out:
Stiens;gate
Sket Dance
C
Deadman Wonderland

What an awesome season spring has been.

If summer can produce even half of that, I'll be happy.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It's hard to get tired of something that doesn't happen.

Not seeing much on that list that looks particularly promising other than Usagi Drop.

*looks at spring list*

I'm not seeing anything on that list that looks particularly promising other than [C]!

KtSlime

Nonoriri said:
Yeah man don't you get tired of being wrong all the time?

What are you seeing that I'm not? The only things I see that I will check out are I.G's works, Ikoku Meiro and Kamisama Memotyou, and maybe No.6, since Bones has been doing a pretty decent job recently IMO.

Izayoi

Banned
Eh, we're posting lists? Currently following:

[C]
Ano Hana
Ao no Exorcist
Astarotte
A Channel
Deadman Wonderland
Denpa Onna
Gosick
Hanasaku Iroha
Nichijou
Steins;Gate
Tiger and Bunny

I'm enjoying all of them. The only show that I'm a little shaky on is Deadman, but the most recent episode renewed my interest so I'll probably be sticking around for the entire thing.

[C] 5 - I feel like the series has started dragging its feet. I dunno. There's no real clear villain and zero tension at this point. I hope it picks back up soon.
A Channel 6 - Well, it's A Channel I suppose. Remains a guilty pleasure.
Hanasaku Iroha 7 - Hahaha, fantastic episode. Good for Tomoe. Almost no Minko made this one of the best episodes yet.

Instro

Lafiel said:
*looks at spring list*

I'm not seeing anything on that list that looks particularly promising other than [C]!

Hm? Pretty sure people were hyped for quite a few shows on the Spring list. C was certainly not the only one. Unless you are talking about original anime, not stuff based off of manga or sequels? Even then there was some hype generated for stuff like Iroha.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Branduil said:
There was reason to think HanaIro might be good. And it was! Ano Hana too.
Well using those standards - Idolmaster, Blood C, Sacred seven, Ikoku Meiro no croisee, No.6 all look promising based on the staff all being somewhat decent much like Haniro and Anohana!

Branduil

Lafiel said:
Well using those standards - Idolmaster, Blood C, Sacred seven, Ikoku Meiro no croisee, No.6 all look promising based on the staff all being somewhat decent much like Haniro and Anohana!
What made this season unusual was the high percentage of shows delivering on their promise- you can't necessarily count on that happening again.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Branduil said:
What made this season unusual was the high percentage of shows delivering on their promise- you can't necessarily count on that happening again.
With summer i particularly have high hopes for Idolm@ster, Mawaru Penguindrum & Bunny drop, the latter two having a good chance of being both better and more memorable than the majority of "good" shows this season, which will be enough to make it a more interesting season than spring.

Also all those other shows i listed have a decent chance of being watchable at least! which will be good as some icing for the three heavy-hitter shows. I don't really think whether they deliver or not really matters.

Dynedom

Lists are fun!

Anime I'm currently watching:
[C]
Hana-Saku Iroha
AnoHana
Ao no Exorcist
Fairy Tail
Beelzebub (I know I know)

Non-season anime I'm watching:
Cross Game

Shows this season I'll watch but only once done:
Tiger & Bunny
Stein's;Gate

Finished Watching:
Moshidora!

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
It will be awesome!!!!

The actors are terrible and ugly :(

Why couldn't I get Horikita Maki as Haruhi? WHY?! WHY?!

Also, since this is TBS, be prepared for this show to be named Ouran High School Host Club but have zero zilch to do with the actual manga/anime.

They've taken umm... liberties with other manga adaptations in the past.

Sekirei 4

This is starting to look a lot like Gash Bell, but with big breasted bishoujos instead of demon children (with one exception so far). Works for me. Also, that laser dodging at the end of the episode was awesome.

Battle Girls 06 - Yeah, I like this series now. Oh, it's certainly a bad show, but it's the kind of bad show I can enjoy. This was another fun episode, the contrast between watching Nobunaga and idiot MC dodge the traps while the other woman talked about her backstory (how Nobunaga found her) and how she's so dedicated to her was amusing. It did set up potential future conflict, though, if she decides that she's so disappointed in Nobunaga liking our heroine that she turns against them or something... we'll see.

Also, once assembled will the armor help Nobunaga rule, or turn her into a generic evil Nobunaga like you usually see? I'm going to guess the former, this isn't the usual evil Nobunaga clearly. But there probably will be some kind of threat, I just don't know what it'll be yet.

Lotte no Omocha! 07 - Okay episode. We meet the five year old looking sage. Princess gets mad for no good reason (main character guy angered her for not being available when she wanted him, as if that's his fault?), flees to earth. But oh no, she's in danger! Will the titular character die? Somehow I doubt it...

Yeah, this show continues to be okay but unspectacular, and it definitely has way too many lolis. Not sure how long I'll stick with this series... but at least it is cute and often sweet. There's just too much loli stuff for me to say I actually like it.

Dog Days 07 - Blah, come back when the action starts again...

I mean, this episode wasn't terrible, but it didn't have much point either. No fighting this time at all. Instead, it's just some princess x hero stuff and setup for the next, upcoming fight. There are speeches by the rulers, the dog people and hero try to think about why Leo is acting this way now, etc. Tolerably bland stuff, but this show is so much better when it's got action going on...

As for the hero x priness stuff, I do like that this show actually uses Chocobos. It's funny stuff. :) Also, so apparently these dog-people like getting petted on their heads. Hmm. I was half expecting her to try to grab that frisbee with her teeth or something, instead of her hands... fortunately she doesn't. She does wag her tail when she's happy, though. It's a little bit weird. She obviously likes him, and he
tells her that after he goes home (presuming he does) he wants her to summon him again sometime, because he wants to see them again... doesn't want to abandon his harem now that he's building it up, I guess? :) To be fair though, it is a pretty different place from modern Earth so sure I can see him wanting to return.

duckroll said:
Gatekeepers 21

Decided to grab my DVDs off the shelf and give this OVA series a rewatch. It is surprisingly entertaining for a show with a grand total of zero likeable characters. All the main characters have offensive personalities, all the supporting characters are barely there or generic archetypes, the villains are faceless and uninteresting, but somehow it works in the framework of the show. I guess it helps that I'm actually a Gatekeepers fan. Some plot elements and direction reminded me of Madoka too, and I think it's interesting how the two shows have similar themes and even character traits.

Production quality-wise there is really nothing outstanding here, but it's interesting how the OVA gets better looking with each episode. It was extra surprising to see that episode 5 seemed really different in terms of art style and overall animation quality, and lo and behold, the credits show that it was an episode produced by Kyoto Animation. What a weird thing to have Kyoto Animation work on a Gonzo production. Oh and the theme songs were really nice too. Not much else to talk about I guess.

I hope the new Gonzo makes a new Gatekeepers anime some day!
I remember watching that on G4, years ago, back when they showed anime, but I haven't seen it again, and I never watched the original Gatekeepsers series either (G4 repeatedly showed 21, but never the original one while I was watching at least). I remember thinking it was alright to good, but it was a while ago and I don't really remember the details. I might want to watch it again, I'm not sure... :)

zeroshiki

The original Gatekeepers is miles ahead of 21 in quality. GK21 was unnecessarily grimdark and the lead is also an unlikeable kuu/tsun-dere who never goes dere.

Gatekeepers 21 spoiler
Plus, it doesn't seem like she's Shun's daughter with Yuriko. What the fuck? Why would you break the canon pairing for no reason whatsoever?!

Steroyd said:
Why? Why!?

Idk, sounds pretty interesting, but I doubt I would ever watch it. Saw the first nine episodes of the anime earlier today and I had a blast. Totally blew away my expectations. So far, I would say my favorite character(s) are without a doubt in my mind the Twins

LayLa

still watching (in order of anticipation of next episode)

Ano Hana
Hanasaku Iroha
Nichijou
Gosick
Denpa Onna

interested in after a quick glance at the summer schedule but by no means should these be taken as a ringing endorsement, in fact probably going to look back on this list with withering contempt in 3 months time

Usagi Drop
Ikoku Meiro no Croisée
Kami-sama no Memo-chou
Dantalian no Shoka
No 6
Kamisama Dolls

duckroll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wBTvv5MjwM

Hmmm... Blood-C confirmed to debut 7/7, so that'll be A Channel's timeslot (aka Madoka slot!). Blood-C and Penguin Drum running back to back on MBS, while noitaminA has a new Production IG and BONES show... will mean that Thursdays are probably the peak of interesting anime every week even in Summer. Lol.

Dynedom

ivedoneyourmom said:
Dynedom: Did you enjoy Mosidora? Did it have that after school special/empowering feel to it?

Haha. The series did have a small emotion impact on me but it was rather short. In a way the length worked because the story wasn't anything new. I wouldn't say it's deep though.

The series' end is somewhat spoiled at the start too but the journey itself is a good underdog story. It's not much of an after-school story though (it's mostly about the baseball and how to run a good club with a friendship story thrown in for good measure).

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Anne of green gables 12 - Show is so amazing, i mean anne can be a little annoying at times (but that's part of her character) and the pacing is arguably slow, but the direction is so damn good, isao takahata at the top of his game, that's for sure!

That sequence where anne made up a story about losing the brooch was O_O

duckroll said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wBTvv5MjwM

Hmmm... Blood-C confirmed to debut 7/7, so that'll be A Channel's timeslot (aka Madoka slot!). Blood-C and Penguin Drum running back to back on MBS, while noitaminA has a new Production IG and BONES show... will mean that Thursdays are probably the peak of interesting anime every week even in Summer. Lol.

Horray, i always like it when all the good shows air on the same day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom