• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

Tempted to pick up Steins Gate again.

Cwarrior said:
Ano hana ep7

Really don't wanna see a happy ending for anaru

I've noticed a trend, whenever her hair is back to normal everyone just seems more bitter towards her!

zeroshiki

cosmicblizzard said:
The switch happened pretty damn early, so unless they want to diverge from the source material almost right away, that's not really an option.

Besides, we'll never get to yandere girl that way (though we probably won't anyway).

That's what I was getting at. Gainax doesn't do shounen battle anyways so they should screw with the fans (although Medaka barely has any) and just do it like Nishio intended it to go at first.

zeroshiki said:
That's what I was getting at. Gainax doesn't do shounen battle anyways so they should screw with the fans (although Medaka barely has any) and just do it like Nishio intended it to go at first.

Gurren Lagann is shounen battles.

tiff

Banned
Kampfer 13 - I'm not really sure what Kaede's plan is anymore.

Not that it really matters. Not quite as fanservicey as 14 but it's plenty. Plus there's a tsundere penguin.

trejo said:
Oh and it's nice to have Uchip back. He certainly makes things more interesting around here.

I was hoping he was gone for good so I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of figuring out how the Ignore List works on this forum.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
flawfuls said:
Shikabane Hime was an actual shounen battle manga adaptation.
Well Shikabane Hime wasn't a master piece or anything but Gainax actually did make their interpretation worse somehow. At least we got that kick ass theme song!

zeroshiki

flawfuls said:
Shikabane Hime was an actual shounen battle manga adaptation.

Wow, really? Shikabane Hime was really terrible and I didn't even realize it was supposed to be battle.

Further proof that Gainax should HiMM-ize Meduka.

tiff

Banned
Astarotte no Omocha 8 - I know what this show is about and all but it's a little weird seeing the prince fall head-over-heels for a ten year-old. I like who he paired up with in the end, though :lol

And hey, look, beach episode's next.

Unknown Soldier said:
I was hoping he was gone for good so I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of figuring out how the Ignore List works on this forum.
With or without Uchip I'm already well acquainted with that feature.

firehawk12 said:
Kampfer 13 whatever:

The too hot for TV episode, featuring Kancho or whatever it's called!
c6USgl.jpg

Too hot for TV? But back in April when this first was released you said

No, this was on TV which is why it was "out". The other episode comes out in May.

I guess Kampfer sold enough for them to do weird softcore sex humour but not enough to do an entire season.

as a response to my post about it here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27007900&postcount=6563 ... this Kampfer Fur die Liebe 1 (aka kampfer 13 if you don't count it as separate) is the same thing as that, yes? Is this release the uncensored DVD version of that episode? If so though why release now, didn't Fur die Liebe 2 release some time ago...

Jexhius said:
Miya rules with an iron hand. Everyone dances to her tune, well, nearly everyone.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tiger & Bunny 9

Dragon Kid special this week. The whole 'dedicate one episode to a main character then move the main plot in another episode' structure works really well. Almost as if they planned ahead!

As I've said before it's nothing new, they just keep executing on it in an interesting manner and the character designs are excellent. I'm almost tempted to call it my show of the season.

Bonus scene: Tiger and Bunny chilling out shirtless, holding champagne. No subtext there. None at all.

Dragon Kid was great, Kotetsu helping out Bunny once again and Kotetsu getting no respect from his daughter lol.

Plus bonus of Karina basically cracked after the revalation.

Unknown Soldier said:

Its not that hard though

pieatorium said:
nope that was me, it was spoiler tagged in a conversation with I9 though

cool my bad then.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Set Hak 08: New Couple enters. My new favorite couple. ^_^. Like Junjou, its impossible for me to watch an episode without going into a furious blush.

Tiger and Bunny 09: Show continues to do strong. By the numbers, but everything is executed well and all the characters have been pretty solid.

I have 5 shows I look forward to every week. Haven't had this in years.

tiff

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
as a response to my post about it here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27007900&postcount=6563 ... this Kampfer Fur die Liebe 1 (aka kampfer 13 if you don't count it as separate) is the same thing as that, yes? Is this release the uncensored DVD version of that episode? If so though why release now, didn't Fur die Liebe 2 release some time ago...
No, what aired last April was episode 14. This is completely different.

...Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying here.

iavi

AnoHana 7

Predictable, but it is nice to finally see Jintan come back into the dominant persona he was previously. Btw, Anaru is getting the happy ending. Don't fool yourselves.

Aad

I've been really busy the last few months so I don't know whats on this season. So what are you all watching and whats good? What should I watch?

In the fall '10 season I watched and enjoyed:

Panty & Stocking with Gaterbelt
Kuragihime
Bakuman
Soredemo Machi Wa Mawatteiru
Arakaw Under the Bridge x Bridge

Winter '11:

Beelzebub
Level E
Fractale
Hourou Musuko

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aad said:
I've been really busy the last few months so I don't know whats on this season. So what are you all watching and whats good? What should I watch?

In the fall '10 season I watched and enjoyed:

Panty & Stocking with Gaterbelt
Kuragihime
Bakuman
Soredemo Machi Wa Mawatteiru
Arakaw Under the Bridge x Bridge

Winter '11:

Beelzebub
Level E
Fractale
Hourou Musuko

AnoHana and Hanasaku Iroha. Nichijou too!

mAcOdIn

You ever hear the sound of despair? I'm making that exact sound right now as I contemplate how to go about this. it's as if despair itself could be heard not just felt although rest assured I feel it just as much as I'm emitting it.
A Black Falcon said:
That's a false comparison, fiction doesn't and often shouldn't be like real life -- the whole point it to have something more interesting than the real, pretty much. With a beginning, a middle, and an end. And besides, there are plots in individual real stories, sure. Plenty of things that are based on real-life events have stories and plots.

And part of this just makes no sense, unless you're referencing the usual "bad guy wants to take destroy the world" anime/videogame story. I do think that that plot is overdone. More badguys should just want to take over the country, or the world, or what have you, why do they usually want to destroy it anyway?

But even so, that TTK doesn't really have a main enemy -- there is no Big Bad in TTK, at least not in the anime version (who knows about the later books) -- is an issue for it in its genre. It sort of makes up for it with the interesting, complex stories it does tell, but it is something worth noting.

But anyway, to return to my first point the idea that fiction should be like reality is silly, and obviously false. It shouldn't.
:sigh:
Listen. Everything has a plot. From 12 Kingdoms, Escaflowne, Strike Witches, Kimi ni Todoke to Chi's Sweet Home, heck live action wise even western shows like the Simpsons has a plot. I'm not arguing no plot versus plot, that's absurd, I'm arguing perspective and scale.

For instance, WW2 is a popular theme in media, you got stuff like Saving Private Ryan, Downfall, Band of Brothers and a host of others and they all vary wildly in perception and scale of the same conflict. Saving Private Ryan was about a very short period of the war and getting one man out, after they got him out the war was still going and no-one bitched that the survivors didn't go back and kill Hitler and then jump on a boat and go over to Okinawa and start fighting the Japanese. That was still a plot despite it being threadbare thin and ignoring essentially the entire conflict, there was no big bad, the big bad was just not knowing where Private Ryan was, there was no end to the conflict as the movie ended when they got Private Ryan out of the last battle and the war just goes on, that was the focus. And no-one bitched.

But lets zoom out a little shall we? IF the 12 Kingdoms is about Youko, which I'd wager it's mostly about her but not all about her, than what of comparing her to say, Hitler? There are many movies of him, some that chronicle his rise to political power, others that cover downfall(lol get it?) and some documentaries that cover the whole thing but would one call any of them incomplete or complete? I mean just covering his rise to power is kinda blueballing the viewer right? Or is it really if that's just the specific arc in his life they want to cover? Do they have to cover his whole life? But then if they do cover him during WW2 is it not odd to end it with him dying and yet NOT cover what happens to Germany afterwards or what goes on with Japan afterwards? Or is it fine to just focus again on that aspect of the man?

So I don't really get this gripe at all. So there's no "big bad," well so what? Has there ever really been a big bad? In real life I don't think it fair to even consider Hitler the big bad, he wasn't the first and sadly he won't be the last, there's no hidden force driving man to evil, just us, so there's no big bad in reality but what about fiction? Well again that's usually a farce. Some titles certainly have a singular big bad but anything long running ends up just replacing them with anew big bad, it becomes a sort of a joke. So again, lets bring in perspective here. Youko's first arc did indeed have a big bad, a villain that needed to be taken care of in the rival King from her neighboring country, not sufficient for you? Not grand enough for you? Too fucking bad. What about Youko's second arc? Oh that one has some big bads too! Again, not grand enough? Not evil enough? Not fictiony really being manipulated by yet another hidden big bad you don't know about enough? Again, too damn bad. Because perspective is everything, when you're one man a big bad can be a simple as a guy trying to screw you over or hurt you, he doesn't have to be Hitler trying to take over a continent and kill a shitload of people he just has to be against you and try and bring you down. Move up a bit in the ranks to ruler or whatnot and now a big bad needs a little more clout as it has to be able to threaten your position but again it need not want to threaten the entire world or anything silly like that.

So this concept of the "Big Bad" is the mark of poor Fantasy in my opinion, the utter pathetic crutch of a poor writer unable to come up with any motive stronger than "pure evil" or some shit. Fucking sad. You say the Big Bads of the 12 Kingdoms weren't big and bad enough? I say thank fucking God. I'm tired of people wanting to conquer the entire world and fucking dabble in shit that has nothing to do with them because they need to be grand enough. Evil enough.

And you know why else these generic big bads suck? Because for them to even exist you have to walk some ridiculous line of incompetence versus competence. You can't build both your hero and villain up, have them meet and it not fucking end just to make them fight again. That shit is fucking absurd. If the bad guy's so evil s/he should just kill the hero if the hero's the lesser person and if the hero's really the hero the hero needs to finish it, how the fuck do you build two competent characters that are both bad ass and then have them dance around each other like that? I don't want some shitty comic book storyline here, if people are going to cross paths then don't sully the characters by dragging this shit out. You delegate the sides to GI Joe and Cobra, to CONTROL and KAOS, to bring it down to the character level, Inspector Gadget and Dr. Claw, essentially making both sides bumbling idiots save for the few times you want one of them to do something cool or evil.
A Black Falcon said:
Aria and Escaflowne have something in common plotwise? What? I can't think of anything of note...
Yes, they're both so not grounded in any kind of reality, fictional nor otherwise that every plot twist comes off as artificial and for nothing but thatsthetwist.jpg effect.
A Black Falcon said:
But no, to me your complaint just makes no sense at all. Sure, action with no plot can be pointless, but plot and action with mediocre characters isn't like that at all. With a good plot and story, and characters just good enough to make the story work, things work just fine. Rollercoaster ride of images? But if the plot's good, and interesting, it's going to be much more than that...
What the hell are you saying here? Are you championing having just the base amount of characterization necessary to not make a story a fucking joke and holding it up as some kind of standard? "Characters just good enough to make the story work?" Why would anyone set the bar so low? I... I don't even... I have no idea where to even start with this. Do you do this on purpose? Hmm?

:sigh:

I guess, yes, if the characters are "just good enough" than it works, fine, why anyone would shoot for the minimum amount of characterization to make something work I don't know, but sure...
A Black Falcon said:
I agree that Escaflowne's pace isn't realistic, certainly, though. It's a very, VERY fast paced show, and it skips over almost all of the downtime in between the major events. I just think that it works that way. Escaflowne is proof that you can have a full-length series of 100% plot-centric, fast-paced episodes and it can work, too. They had a huge story to cram into a 26 episode series (I believe the rumors that the series was originally supposed to be longer, it makes sense), and they made it work. Sometimes that kind of thing can break down, where events just get too fast and confusing to be able to make sense out of it, but it didn't in this case. Not at all.
Escaflowne's plot was too fast. None of the characters mattered, how can the viewer care? The love triangle dynamic was just as weak and threadbare as the other half of the story, which I guess would be lovepower makes things right or some shit. So for this discussion to go any further we'd have to agree on what constitutes "working." If by working you mean have a start, a middle and an end that's followable then yes it worked like almost every other show out there. However, if we were to define working as the above and add the stipulation competently then no, Escaflowne did most certainly not work.

Because of the pacing and weak character relationships those that did die were meaningless, events that should have been traumatic were not, events that should have been exciting were not, events that should have been touching were not, they were all very by the numbers and had no weight. Attributing further to the madness that is Escaflowne's shallowness is the absurdity of it all. While one gets the feeling that there is some kind of backstory to Escaflowne no-one is privy to it, probably not even the writers, so you're just left laughing to yourself at what shit they'll pull out of their hat next. Heroine falling? Hidden Wings for the win! Hero's robot down? It's ok, just press the magic button and the fix will drop from the fucking sky? Need money for the fix? No worries, fucking moneypants rendezvoused with you just the prior episode and he's one of the heroines fiance, imagine the odds! It goes on and fucking on. There probably was some mythos there and after the fact they'll go and half-assedly explain it but because of that it reeks of them just making it up as they went along, like a bunch of nerds were just locked in a room trying to outdo each other with each page of the script. It was high school English level shit at best.
A Black Falcon said:
So yes, a lot happens in each episode. That's one of the show's major unique points, I would say. If you disliked that, I can see why you'd dislike the series. I, on the other hand, think that that's one of the good things about the show.
Again this is but a tangent, my gripe isn't how much or how little happens but how it happens.

Part 1 End, Part 2 coming later.

Jex

Miri said:
AnoHana 7

Predictable, but it is nice to finally see Jintan come back into the dominant persona he was previously. Btw, Anaru is getting the happy ending. Don't fool yourselves.
But everyone hates Anaru know, so maybe she wont!

Jex

Infinite Justice said:
Blue Rose is all tsundere for Wild Tiger. Shocker.

Street Fighter II V 1-2

The best fighting shows don't show the fights, it's just about a couple of bro's hitting the bars in San Francisco.

iavi

C 6

I'm a bit behind on this one but, ah... What the hell was that? That cut from the fight was quite possibly some of the laziest shit that I've seen in a long time. Worst thing is, the animation kicked into a gear unprecedented for the show too! I was so hyped for it. Trolled, I was straight trolled.

anyways, kimimaros cluelessness is beginning to grate a bit. Can't he have a mind of his own?

Steroyd

Arjuna - 9

Just when you thought Anime couldn't throw you a curve ball after watching so many for so long, this show throws in FETUS SEX.
icon_shame.gif

Jex

Ajunra 7-8

Pretty standard stuff. Chris is a douche, Arjuna is a crazy hippie, words are bad,

Arujna 9

Oh dear god no please make it stop. Apparently, babies in the womb know everything. They can think and feel and hear. They scream for you stop smoking.

They can even detect the phases of the moon and chose when to be born.

There's nothing I can write to troll this episode.

Jex

Vampire Princess Miyu 7

Miyu helps people and makes their lives better. It's really a good thing for a person to meet here.

Jex

Sailor Moon 1

Man, this show is a lot more palatable without the amazing dub and beautiful CG transitions. Who could have guessed?

Cloudy

Banned
Ano Hana is still the best show this spring. Hanasaku Iroha started off well but the last 2 eps have been pretty mediocre...

Quacking

zeroshiki said:

Softenni > HanaIro?
I've said the ones I'm watching, and i'm not watching all the stuff of this season. xD

As far for me this would be my personal classification of what I'm watching!

1. Ano Hana
2. Nichijou
3. Tiger & Bunny
4. Hanasaku Iroha

I'll start to watch soon C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control and maybe some other anime, but it isn't in my plans to watch Softenni.

I've started to watch animes of this season very late, due to my busyness this last period. :/

LayLa

seriously don't get the hate for Anaru. unless you're all joking?

Hidamari Sketch 1-6

4 cute girls do cute things. again. and yet ... i find it utterly charming. the nonlinear episode order is an interesting idea. um guess i'll watch some more then huh.

zeroshiki

They don't have any taste whatsoever (especially that one person with the Ghibli avatar I won't name). Anaru is best girl from Anohana its not even close.

Jex

Sailor Moon 5

Don't mess with Luna!~

Sailor Moon 6

Ikuhara directing, Wakamoto acting. Who could ask for more? They even make changes to the formula, tone and focus!

Lain

Only good thing about Anaru is that she has big boobs and her hairstyle is perfect for lewd activities.
Her personality and actions otherwise paint the picture of a really shallow and lame character.
What exactly is there to like about her?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Anaru is terrible because while most of the other characters are stock archetypes as far as anime goes, she comes off as the worst, because every aspect of her character deliberately panders to the average otaku, except the actual show pretends she doesn't, at least the characters in say Infinite stratos are honest about it!

Ano Hana is still the best show this spring. Hanasaku Iroha started off well but the last 2 eps have been pretty mediocre...
I would have accepted this a week or two ago, but after this weeks episode, you are crazy!

/XX/

7Th said:
It IS Medaka Box; I just called it Shikabane-hime 2012 because that's what the Medaka Box anime adaptation is going to be.
You don't trust already in those 'nouveau-jeune', those young recruits that GAiNAX is trying to indoctrinate, right? I (in part) think like you, but some of their latest series of adaptations like Shikabane Hime, Hanamaru Yōchien and Dantalian no Shoka were aimed to give more background and experience to those new employees that the studio needed to expand itself, so that Mr. Imaishi & Co. could continue with their top-of-the line projects. It seems that GAiNAX right now depends very much on a little core of great animators and other workers (a part of the old guard), and given the compromises, and possible departure, of some of their most important ones, they wanted to train that young recruits with medium-to-low-budget productions and assistance from those more experienced.

I said that in relation to the latest shows from the studio I mentioned above, but we don't know for sure the approach they will make for this new unannounced project, we don't even know nothing about the staff yet, so the assumption that this will be some kind of second-tier production for them is, I think, premature.
And I don't say it won't be, keep it in mind!

Go_Ly_Dow

Strike Witches 1-2

somethin' voice, somethin' generation

Ronin Samurai thing 1

Wimpier, dudebro power rangers!

[C] 7

We need to see more of Mikuni's past back when he was sill in the band. I take it his father is still alive?

I was kinda expecting Kimimaro and Mysu's (sp) relationship to develop this way. Should be interesting to watch it unfold.

Tiger & Bunny 9

I love this show. All the character arcs so far have been solid. They all seem to have an interesting personality, with plenty of redeeming features. The lack of tropes and annoying cliche's is truly wonderful!

The pacing of the episodes aren't bad either. There's usually a fight/action scene in every episode, but it doesn't really feel like it has been forced in for the sake of it.

Tiger is awesome and on top of all that we get, Bromance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom