• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

Branduil said:
So according to that the most popular works are Infinite Stratos and Freezing.

The only way for the anime and manga industry to live is for it to die first.
Well I hear zombies are all the rage nowadays.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Branduil said:

It's the same with every other industry. The most popular things aren't usually of the best of quality.

Could be slightly worse with anime though!

Branduil

Lafiel said:
It's the same with every other industry. The most popular things aren't usually of the best of quality.

Could be slightly worse with anime though!
That's true, but most other industries don't have the added negatives of the popular things also being creepy fetish material for isolated men.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Branduil said:
That's true, but most other industries don't have the added negatives of the popular things also being creepy fetish material for isolated men.
I thought that was the Nickelodeon and Disney Channel audience!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Articalys said:
Oh god I'm sorry I'm so late on this; was off playing Sin and Punishment Star Successor. Damn that is a difficult game.

Do you have the source for this? I'm also using a rotating set of 5cm pictures but that wasn't in the group I have.
Actually, some of the others aren't either; do you have a source for them too?
They're custom screengrabs. I'll up the folder for you in the bit. it's a bit big.

zeroshiki

Come on guys, I want to be able to say that the anime thread isn't anywhere near the creepiest thread around here. Let's not change that, k?

Halycon said:
They're custom screengrabs. I'll up the folder for you in the bit. it's a bit big.

Do you have them in 16:10?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
zeroshiki said:
Come on guys, I want to be able to say that the anime thread isn't anywhere near the creepiest thread around here. Let's not change that, k?

We've got nothing on Gomez GAF and you know it.

Pachael

Branduil said:

(Manga) Works are only limited to Winter 2010 anime though.
NB that site is NSFW if you hit the main page, magazines with ladies' hopes and dreams all over.

Those two works gained the most from the heavy advertising over the past few weeks.

Erigu

Pachael said:
(Manga) Works are only limited to Winter 2010 anime though.
Yeah, the guy is interested in the effects of the recent anime series on the sales of their respective manga. I should have mentioned that, sorry.

Jex

zeroshiki said:
Have you ever read these threads before?

Geneijin

zeroshiki said:
This thread never had a chance to begin with. All it takes is for someone to talk about Freezing or something similar.

zeroshiki

As long as we don't have members cosplaying as meido... err... showing off their rooms... err... fine, whatever. Bottom of the barrel here we come~~

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
zeroshiki said:
As long as we don't have members cosplaying as meido... err... showing off their rooms... err... fine, whatever. Bottom of the barrel here we come~~

Do you want us discussing hentai artists again?

Articalys

Regulus Tera said:
Articalys you are my new bff.

All of you could learn a thing or two from someone like Articalys.
I picked it up alongside Muramasa (also great) when I had some Amazon credit a while back and they were on sale for $20-something; I figured my excuses for why I hadn't bought them yet had run out. They'll both make your hands cramp up if you play for more than a few hours at a time though.

Halycon said:
Cool, thanks. After all of the 5cm hate earlier in the thread I was afraid there was no one left who liked it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
zeroshiki said:
Do you have them in 16:10?
Sorry, no :(

5 Centimeters per Second screengrabs:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/azfrtp

It's mostly from Okasho with a few screens (the sci fi ones) from Cosmonaut. Nothing from 5 Centimeters Per Second because it didn't have as nice scenes as the first two.

No one hates 5cm. It's a very YMMV kind of thing. And I doubt anyone can claim that it's anything short of breathtaking.

Lain

I wen to sleep on page 87, now this is on page 100. Something marvelous must have happened, and I missed it. Damn sleep.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Halycon said:
No one hates 5cm. It's a very YMMV kind of thing. And I doubt anyone can claim that it's anything short of breathtaking.
Don't hate it just thought it was boring. I can appreciate the scenery in it at least. It's kinda like the Mass Effect series I think it's pretty boring as well, but everyone seems to like it.

I think I'm going to slip into my maid outfit again.

Articalys

Halycon said:
Sorry, no :(

5 Centimeters per Second screengrabs:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/azfrtp

It's mostly from Okasho with a few screens (the sci fi ones) from Cosmonaut. Nothing from 5 Centimeters Per Second because it didn't have as nice scenes as the first two.

Great, thanks again.

Yeah, I guess hate was kind of the wrong word. Maybe just "didn't prefer."

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
icarus-daedelus said:
Cool. I'd watched a good chunk of the tv series back in the day but never had the desire to finish it, probably due to a mental limit of 100 or so episodes of investment per series that I'm willing to put down for animu.
If you're only willing to invest about 100 episodes, then you'd might like to know that Oshii only did the first 106.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
mAcOdIn said:
So I watched Hanasaku Iroha and it was, umm, competent. Better than Nichijou but I don't think I'll follow either.
You are dead to me mAcOdin.

duckroll

Blood-C is going to be both a TV series (starts in July on MBS/TBS) and a movie (2012 release). Aniplex sure loves funding movie versions of TV anime on MBS...

I wonder if this means Ao no Exorcist is 13 eps...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Jexhius said:
Hey, there are other people out there who don't think much of it.

Well, one guy.

Personally I'm actually surprised that Macodin didn't think much of it. I'd expect anyone who is a fan of shows like Kure-nai would be all over something like Hanasaku iroha!

Pfft it's not like his taste follows any sense of rational logic or consistency though.:)

mAcOdIn

No, competent means it's alright it's just something that doesn't really interest me is all. Not a big deal. Now Nichijou sucked but there's nothing wrong with Hanasaku Iroha. I felt the same way about Wandering Son, Level-E and Modoka, nothing wrong with them I just had no desire to watch any of them. There's something boring with a show being decent but not interesting to me, I can't bitch and moan about how it sucks so it doesn't evoke some sick masochistic self pity emotion that I can derive satisfaction from but since I'm not interested by them it's not really entertaining me either. So I guess decent shows are the worst shows?

Kurenai had the initial violence hook to draw me in and while it's true that by episode 6 you kinda stop caring about all that and just enjoy the people Hanasaku Iroha doesn't have that hook.

Geneijin

Sket Dance - 1
Underwhelmed but I'll watch a few more. I like concept of the SKET club doing odd jobs, but nothing else really stood out this episode for me. Maybe Switch if only because he talks through his speech software on his laptop, and the voice is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita (Haruhi - Kyon, Honey & Clover - Mayama). I just find him an oddly appealing character like Sasahara from Nichijou, the guy who rides a goat to school. If Sket Dance was a comedy, Episode 1 gives a weird impression as the story is told through a 3rd-person perspective from a transfer student who gets befriended by members of a club called, "Sket-dan," and involved with some drama, which felt flat due to the lack of tension. Is Sket Dance a light-hearted comedy? Because if it's trying to be, this is an awful episode to showcase this. The director is apparently the guy who's done Hayate no Gotoku (that I somewhat liked when it got good), so I'm pretty much wait and see at this point if it'll get better.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Kurenai had the initial violence hook to draw me in and while it's true that by episode 6 you kinda stop caring about all that and just enjoy the people Hanasaku Iroha doesn't have that hook.
For what it's worth the reason i make the kure-nai comparison is i actually find myself hooked for the same exact reasons that drew me into kure-nai - which is the characterization.

Kure-nai might have ended up a better show if it didn't have that hook you are referring to anyway.:)

There's something boring with a show being decent but not interesting to me, I can't bitch and moan about how it sucks so it doesn't evoke some sick masochistic self pity emotion that I can derive satisfaction from but since I'm not interested by them it's not really entertaining me either. So I guess decent shows are the worst shows?
That's actually surprising coming from someone that seemed to like 12 kingdoms. As that's one good example of a show that merely starts off decent but gets great later down the line.

I do find it amusing that you rather watch a bad show from start to finish, then keep up with a decent show that could potentially become great later on? :p

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
This is what I was trying to say about Clannad! :p
I think we're broken inside.
Lafiel said:
For what it's worth the reason i make the kure-nai comparison is i actually find myself hooked for the same exact reasons that drew me into kure-nai - which is the characterization.

Kure-nai might have ended up a better show if it didn't have that hook you are referring to anyway.:)
Well I wouldn't say the characterisation in Kure-nai was just OMFG awesome at the start, it took awhile. And it wasn't "just" the violence that was sort of the hook but the extreme situation of having to take care of a child, so that was also unique. Working while in high school, not unique, moving while in high school, again not unique, moving to a new place and working while in high school, still not unique enough, I did that, I didn't raise a kid alone and I didn't have a knife that came out of my arm so there was something alien to Kure-nai that interested me. Granted, by the end I agree that the whole main plot surrounding Murasaki's family could have been dropped and the show would probably be better off but the chance I would have watched it without that plot is slim.
Lafiel said:
That's actually surprising coming from someone that seemed to like 12 kingdoms. As that's one good example of a show that merely starts off decent but gets great later down the line.
Yeah, but again it's different, I've never been Queen and barring some kind of sex-change probably never will, but I did go to high school, so if the show was just about some quiet girl in school I probably wouldn't have watched it. And yeah, again you're right, it starts out pretty damn "meh" and takes like 8 episodes to start going so it's impressive I stuck it out that long, well except for the fact I fucking spent money on it and was going to fucking watch it lest I feel I wasted 25 bucks.
Lafiel said:
I do find it amusing that you rather watch a bad show from start to finish, then keep up with a decent show that could potentially become great later on? :p
In fairness to myself I did say "I don't think I'll follow either," it's possible I will end up following it. But yes, being more interested in a truly terrible show from the start as opposed to a competent one is a sad character trait of mine, I'm 31, too damn old to change now.

Jex

mAcOdIn said:
No, competent means it's alright it's just something that doesn't really interest me is all. Not a big deal. Now Nichijou sucked but there's nothing wrong with Hanasaku Iroha. I felt the same way about Wandering Son, Level-E and Modoka, nothing wrong with them.
I'd make some distinction between 'competent' and 'excellent' but I feel that would be pointless.
mAcOdIn said:
I'm 31, too damn old to change now.
tumblr_lhv7jlWX881qf14tro1_500.jpg

Articalys

Geneijin said:
Sket Dance - 1
Underwhelmed but I'll watch a few more. I like concept of the SKET club doing odd jobs, but nothing else really stood out this episode for me. Maybe Switch if only because he talks through his speech software on his laptop, and the voice is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita (Haruhi - Kyon, Honey & Clover - Mayama). I just find him an oddly appealing character like Sasahara from Nichijou, the guy who rides a goat to school. If Sket Dance was a comedy, Episode 1 gives a weird impression as the story is told through a 3rd-person perspective from a transfer student who gets befriended by members of a club called, "Sket-dan," and involved with some drama, which felt flat due to the lack of tension. Is Sket Dance a light-hearted comedy? Because if it's trying to be, this is an awful episode to showcase this. The director is apparently the guy who's done Hayate no Gotoku (that I somewhat liked when it got good), so I'm pretty much wait and see at this point if it'll get better.
Sounds like a pretty straight adaptation of the first chapter of the manga; the rest of the series isn't like that. It turns into mostly a plot-of-the-day comedy, with the first major arc hitting about 25 chapters in. The first six or so chapters (up through the first multi-chapter story) should give you a general idea of what it's about, so wait it out another 3-4 weeks.

Jex

Man, Jason is not impressed by Hanasaku Iroha. It's no surprise that his tastes are warped considering he does spend all his time watching moe crap (and sports).

Bad arguments are bad.

TheOddOne

So whats Anime-GAF opinion about Bakuman? I'm at episode 9 now, but the show seems to be stuck in a rut. Still has some funny moments though!

XPmlu.png

Go_Ly_Dow

TheOddOne said:
So whats Anime-GAF opinion about Bakuman? I'm at episode 9 now, but the show seems to be stuck in a rut. Still has some funny moments though!

XPmlu.png

From what I remember GAF didn't approve, though I have some seen positive comments on other forums and blogs that I used to visit.

zeroshiki

I enjoyed Bakuman enough to make me pick up the manga. Its so insanely slow even in manga form that I couldn't bear watching anymore.

Its an excellent series, though. If nothing else, it gives us lotsa insight into the manga creation process.

TheOddOne

M_Night said:
From what I remember GAF didn't approve, though I have some seen positive comments on other forums and blogs that I used to visit.
Ohh, still gonna give it a shot but I know the ending is gonna be rushed or something.

NeonZ

mAcOdIn said:
I felt the same way about Wandering Son, Level-E and Modoka, nothing wrong with them I just had no desire to watch any of them. There's something boring with a show being decent but not interesting to me, I can't bitch and moan about how it sucks so it doesn't evoke some sick masochistic self pity emotion that I can derive satisfaction from but since I'm not interested by them it's not really entertaining me either.

Did you at least finish Level E's first three episodes? It's kind of weird to read that opinion about it...

Steroyd

Geneijin said:
Sket Dance - 1

Sket Dance is basically Gintama in a school. It kicks into that gear a little bit into the manga though.

No, I don't think I got to the third episode.

Why have you not learned of the 3 episode rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom