• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

I remember really enjoying Kemonozume's first half, but I wasn't as fond of the second half. Still a really good show, though.

Baccano is Pulp Fiction the anime. Time will jump around, not very chronological at all, but it doesn't do huge time skips besides like one. And you won't really be lost either, they do it very well.

I remember really enjoying Kemonozume's first half, but I wasn't as fond of the second half. Still a really good show, though.

Kemonozume goes completely off the rails in its second half, losing the human elements which endeared me to the show at first and replacing them with grotesque farce. The last episode in particular is pretty terrible. My least favorite of Yuasa's TV shows; he's gradually learned the virtue of restraint as he's matured as an artist.

The way I see it, there's two possibilities:

1: They're just using excess stock of the half-set discs for the anime classics version
2: They re-authored the discs, and added an entire other disc for the extras.

I think it's more likely to be the first, personally.

If the first option is true, FUNimation would then have to make a whole new slipcover
which they wouldn't
to make up for the collection going from four Blu-rays to three. I also would like to know just how Anime Classics and S.A.V.E. titles are considered other than stating the one title did sell well (ACs) and another title did fine (save).

AnoHana 10

uPN1Ovt.jpg

That's entertainment.

I like this show but two things were unintentionally funny in this episode. When Jintan tells Menma that
"It doesn't have to be normal"
and when Yukiatsu
talks to that wig.

And I guess Poppo
froze and watched Menma drown or whatever happened.
Guess I'll find out in the next episode.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V Episode 10
BqXm3mjCUAA0fnx.png

I could watch Action Duels all day if they will always have these great hot-blooded openings to the duels, the kids shouting and saying the lines, then the older characters spinning, posing, dancing throwing roses, etc. Yaiba duel was better than Yuzu duel
though laughed hard when Yuzu was diving for the card but hit the pole as the reflection showed it being behind her, I dont know why she is so distracted by Future Yuuya and not Yuuya in front of her

Synchro Summon Yaiba is amazing.

AnoHana 10

That's entertainment.

I like this show but two things were unintentionally funny in this episode. When Jintan tells Menma that
"It doesn't have to be normal"
and when Yukiatsu
talks to that wig.

And I guess Poppo
froze and watched Menma drown or whatever happened.
Guess I'll find out in the next episode.

jesus this reminded me of that fantastic Anohana fan fiction story. I'm now laughing. Make sure you read it once you're done with the show.

Clov

Kemonozume goes completely off the rails in its second half, losing the human elements which endeared me to the show at first and replacing them with grotesque farce. The last episode in particular is pretty terrible. My least favorite of Yuasa's TV shows; he's gradually learned the virtue of restraint as he's matured as an artist.

I can definitely agree with that. I remember thinking that the last episode was pretty dumb. Thankfully he's only become more talented as time's gone on; I can't wait to see what project he'll be tackling next after Ping Pong.

Clov

That's true, that was a pretty great episode despite the often limited animation. She's got a lot of talent!

If the first option is true, FUNimation would then have to make a whole new slipcover
which they wouldn't
to make up for the collection going from four Blu-rays to three. I also would like to know just how Anime Classics and S.A.V.E. titles are considered other than stating the one title did sell well (ACs) and another title did fine (save).

You think they reauthored the discs, then? I don't own any anime classics releases from Funimation, so I'm not sure how they're handled. For my SAVE edition of Mushishi at least, the DVDs are the same as the previous "complete collection" release.

As for how they're considered outside of sales: in the recent ANN podcast with Funimation, they said that SAVE titles are titles that only have a few years left on their license agreement and may not be renewed. Not sure if anything outside of sales matters for things in the anime classics line.

You think they reauthored the discs, then? I don't own any anime classics releases from Funimation, so I'm not sure how they're handled. For my SAVE edition of Mushishi at least, the DVDs are the same as the previous "complete collection" release.

As for how they're considered outside of sales: in the recent ANN podcast with Funimation, they said that SAVE titles are titles that only have a few years left on their license agreement and may not be renewed. Not sure if anything outside of sales matters for things in the anime classics line.

No, I think they are using the same discs as the half-sets going off of the slipcase stating eight discs. Sorry for the confusion. I also don't own the original Steins;Gate releases. Just assumed that most complete collection sets use three BD-50s, instead of two BD-50s and two BD-25s. The DVDs are almost always six to seven episodes per disc, so those usually work out using original discs for multi-cour series.

Oh there was that podcast briefly covering the differences between Anime Classics and S.A.V.E. titles. I just remember hearing that most Anime Classics titles sold well or better than expected, while S.A.V.E. titles only met expectations or sold poorly. Hence why both Shangri-La and Shiki S.A.V.E.s being sold with their original artboxes and half-sets being combined for a short time to use up old stock.

Clov

No, I think they are using the same discs as the half-sets going off of the slipcase stating eight discs. Sorry for the confusion. I also don't own the original Steins;Gate releases. Just assumed that most complete collection sets use three BD-50s, instead of two BD-50s and two BD-25s. The DVDs are almost always six to seven episodes per disc, so those usually work out using original discs for multi-cour series.

Oh there was that podcast briefly covering the differences between Anime Classics and S.A.V.E. titles. I just remember hearing that most Anime Classics titles sold well or better than expected, while S.A.V.E. titles only met expectations or sold poorly. Hence why both Shangri-La and Shiki S.A.V.E.s being sold with their original artboxes and half-sets being combined for a short time to use up old stock.

Yeah, that makes the most sense, really. No point in re-authoring when you can just use the old discs.

In one sense it's a pity that some titles I really like (Mushishi, Gankutsuou) are in the SAVE line, since that means they didn't sell that well. In another sense it's great because I can get them cheaply.

/XX/

Hey, duckroll... it seems that Yūichirō "animesama" Oguro is already preparing one of their Shin-Bungeiza×ANIMESTYLE SELECTION 'ALL NIGHT' events this time centered around studio BONES, in October-November:

Twitter / animesama: BONESナイトは例によって、ハロウィン前後に開催する予定で ...
https://twitter.com/animesama/status/479048871218126848

That usually means a big gathering of creators for each of the projects screened, and interesting live talks will sure ensue after that (if someone is willing to act as a reporter there for us, of course)!

Acosta

HxH 132 - 134

God, I'm enjoying this a lot but at the same time I'm so ready to finish the Chimera arc (and the awful intro song :p).

The pace is unbearable sometimes, I have liked the narrator for a long time but now I feel he is more a device to slow the narration than something really useful (I won't undermine his great moments, but I'm pretty tired of him already.

About some more specific plots

It was enjoyable to see Pouf utter defeat and despair but it never looked like he had any chance

Really shocked about the poison stuff, I hope the finale is something more epic than the King dying by a gigantic fogger.

I want to know what happened to Gon damn it :( (and no, I won't look the manga, that's not fun)

cajunator

Banned
The Irregular at Magic High School 1

seinfeld-not-impressercau0.gif

Black Bullet 1

Well the action sequence was nice at least.

Hunter x Hunter 134

Another slow episode but this time they made the most of it. Managed even to make me care a bit about Welffin whom I didn't give a shit about earlier. I feel like wiith Meruem suddenly becoming merciful, all the tension disappeared and there's not that much to look forward in the next episode.

Question, where does one start with Jojo on Crunchy ? Bizarre Adventure first and then Stardust ? I assume JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Re-Edited are recap movies ?

that girl is parched in the desert of forbidden love

K-OnGAF is just weird. LoveLiveGAF is depraved.

Edit - Case in point.

Oh...wow

Magipoka 3

The only thing worse than a loli is a loli vampire.

shut your mouth :mad:

Liru is one of the hottest mofus around. It's a shame she's stuck in a show that never really gained much popularity.

I tried my best

I would fight for this army

Theonik

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood 14-22
These episodes were pretty rad.
Hot damn at the greed fight.
Some fantastic sakuga too.
OP1 > OP2

Acosta

No. Departure is here forever and you'll like it like that.

And the last episode is the last one for this arc

:O

Wow... no words, just one episode? But there are still many things happening, they are going to solve it all with just one single episode?

I am scared.

(OMG, I had completely forgot the OP song was the same for all HxH 2011, I had it messed with the older ones, wow, it has been so long that I believed it was only for the Chimera arc).

:O

Wow... no words, just one episode? But there are still many things happening, they are going to solve it all with just one single episode?

I am scared.

I meant next episode, but I'm sure you knew that.

After that the site has it listed as the next arc beginning

EDIT: Apparently 136 is actually the last episode, but that will probably be covering the post-arc stuff.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm not sure if this has been discussed in anime threads yet but can anyone explain why some anime have parts that are clearly darkened for no reason? In some openings (like Witch Craft Works and Attack on Titan). I assume people notice it since it's kinda displeasing to the eyes.

It doesn't look like this was answered yet, but Japan has laws that limit how bright some televised images can be, presumably due to their cautious attitude toward television-induced seizure. I remember it being exceptionally bad in Symphogear, for instance.

AnoHana 11

The second half of this episode was great. I teared up quite a bit :p

So, I liked most of the characters and the summery mood. Nice guitar and piano music and OP, and the ED song is incredible. Yeah, there's some weak parts and unintentionally funny stuff, but overall it's really good.

Almost tempted to give it 4.5/5... But I'll give it a really strong 4/5 flowers:
zXpFbsm.png
zXpFbsm.png
zXpFbsm.png
zXpFbsm.png
IXkui2o.png

Acosta

What else, there's only one thread to be solved now for the arc.

What happens to Gon.

What happens to the King and Pouf (well, I guess I can predict it but I what to know how, I would hate it to be so anticlimatic as the one of Youpi)

What happens with Komugi.

We are talking of a series that has taken two or three episodes for insignificant stuff, I find hard to believe everything is going to happen at once in one episode. Maybe is what MetroidPrimeRib says and there is post-arc stuff to clear all.

By the way, the face of Pouf in 134 when *that* happens is hilarious. I won't post it to avoid spoilers but I actually smiled. He totally deserved that.

fertygo

What happens to Gon.

What happens to the King and Pouf.

What happens with Komugi.

We are talking of a series that has taken two or three episodes for insignificant stuff, I find hard to believe everything is going to happen at once in one episode. Maybe is what MetroidPrimeRib says and there is post-arc stuff to clear all.

The latter two is essentially same thing :D

Rest of it seem like aftermath stuff..

Acosta

The latter two is essentially same thing :D

Rest of it seem like aftermath stuff..

Yes, you are right, I have added some stuff to my post for clarification.

I am a bit worried about how it´s all going to be presented and executed, I expected two/tree episodes for the ending

/XX/

The Wind Rises' Blu-ray Disc release is officially out today (although it has been June, 18 in Japan for a few hours now) but of course several persons already had it prior to that, catalina included:

ブルーレイ「風立ちぬ」(紙飛行機付き)が届いたので記念写真--スタジオジブリ/宮崎駿:録画地獄:So-net blog
http://catalina.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2014-06-17-1

Nice touch there with that Mr. Horikoshi's paper airplane (as seen in the movie) cut-out and ready-to-do included on the package! Additionally, includes the new promotional pamphlet with information about the future releases for the collection in it, and as expected without any traces left on it of the On Your Mark animated short previous appearance on that upcoming compilation set.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
AnoHana 11

So, I liked most of the characters and the summery mood. Nice guitar and piano music and OP, and the ED song is incredible. Yeah, there's some weak parts and unintentionally funny stuff, but overall it's really good.

Almost tempted to give it 4.5/5... But I'll give it a really strong 4/5 flowers:
http://i.imgur.com/zXpFbsm.png http://i.imgur.com/zXpFbsm.png http://i.imgur.com/zXpFbsm.png http://i.imgur.com/zXpFbsm.png http://i.imgur.com/IXkui2o.png

Now watch the movie!

AnoHana 11

zXpFbsm.png
zXpFbsm.png
zXpFbsm.png
zXpFbsm.png
IXkui2o.png

Glad you liked it. :)

Soul Eater not ! -- 11

I must stay that this is the first episode where everyone get around the same appeal from me , as in the fact that i loved everything i saw.
Maybe i was too busy enjoying the ep but i didn't see any horrible animation this time and this eps was FULL of Cameos of all sorts.
The result was highly enjoyable.

Is this where that angry Mana drawing is from? Watching that show literally saved some twitter person's life. they were going to blow their brains out but instead sat down to watch Doki Doki PRecure and now they worship Mana as their literal savior. So I guess even bad shows can have very special meaning to someone.

Angry Miyuki, and no, it's not from Doki. It's from the Precure All Stars New Stage film, starring Smile Precure.

duckroll

Kemonozume rocks. I don't think it really loses the human elements in the second half at all. It merely transcends the "humanity" to show the monsters within us all. It's part of the theme of the show! :(

Hunter x hunter - 134

Pfiou , that was a much more intense episode than i expected.
Kudos to madhouse for this adaptation...

This arc may be slow , but damn the high moments of this arc are just so well done i don't care... York shin is still the best arc in Hxh but this one still have enough moment that i can enjoy.

It's time to end this , now so we can get the next one.

Clov

Kemonozume rocks. I don't think it really loses the human elements in the second half at all. It merely transcends the "humanity" to show the monsters within us all. It's part of the theme of the show! :(

That's actually a pretty interesting look at it; many of the cast members do become (or reveal themselves to be) less human during that second half. I never thought of it that way. I ought to rewatch the series at some point in the future to reevaluate my opinion on it; it's been a few years since I've watched it, after all.

Either way, Yuasa's great. One of my favorite directors working in the industry, if not my absolute favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom