• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Bullet - 11

"you're going to join this side"

It's not even a prediction , it's a fact at this point.

Seriously , considering ALL THE SHIT the main characters are seeing left and right , y'oud wonder why part of them aren't going crazy by the minute.
It's good to be in power , satomi-kun ..however there is someone who is higher in the rankings in the area and he is also an asshole... Talk about bad luck.

Second part of the watch bet:

Usagi Drop 01

eTrDqZ0.jpg

Uh-huh.

Interesting artstyle. That other kid, Reina, looks a bit out of place though.

Clov

You reminded me that I have to pick up NISA's Blu-Ray of Usagi Drop. I loved that show so much. I hope you enjoy it, too!

Jarmel

Banned
Hey, Jarmel, I wanted to say to you thanks for giving us that information (that I missed in a previous post) about your visit to AnimeNEXT (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116275262&postcount=3709).

Did you have the opportunity of seeing that new Inferno Cop key visual Mr. Wakabayashi unveiled at their TRIGGER Inc., presentation for the event? Even if in the end it didn't confirm anything about a second season, people said it was a really cool illustration!

Unfortunately no, as I only had it in me to do the 6+ hour trip once. I'm also not a big fan of Inferno Cop either. Despite me being a fan of the studio, the only work I've really liked that they've done is LWA. BTW there's some Inferno Cop tidbits out there from the panel as they did talk a bit about IC. The panels at AnimeNEXT were covered better than the stuff at Animazement.

Articalys

Well, here's the information that's probably going to be announced for Gargantia tomorrow: the release dates for the OVAs are November 21 this year and May 27 next year. Both listed for 50 minutes.

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/479086162129063938

edit: looks like they realized their slipup and the links are dead, but they also confirmed English subtitles, so at least they'll be import-friendly like the TV series was. Now, whether or not Viz'll pick these up in the future as well...

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 25

Ok, first off, the Captain of the Dimensional Submarine comes in and he's half outside the ship with his arms crossed. That's dangerous levels of badassery right there, and you're already pretty badass if you're the captain of something called the DIMENSIONAL SUBMARINE

And then you have
Dessler and his guard of Valkyrie women. Guy has style. But he's a huge dick. But I can't help but like him.

Last episode next. Instead of "X many days until humanity is extinct" you get "THE JOURNEY WILL NEVER END." That's awesome.

Okita don't die

Gurren Lagann 14
Gurren-Lagann-Episode-14.jpg

Wait.... what?!?! Why is everyone
combining together like they're Gurren Lagann. That was Lagann's thing
. And it just seems the explosions are just gonna get bigger with each subsequent episodes.

Also Simon is now officially awesome sauce status. This is what I always wanted for Simons character. I guess I can forgive his pansy nature several episodes ago.

Gurren Lagann 14
Gurren-Lagann-Episode-14.jpg

Wait.... what?!?! Why is everyone
combining together like they're Gurren Lagann. That was Lagann's thing
. And it just seems the explosions are just gonna get bigger with each subsequent episodes.

Also Simon is now officially awesome sauce status. This is what I always wanted for Simons character. I guess I can forgive his pansy nature several episodes ago.

Simon's awesomeness factor only increases exponentially from here. That's how awesome he is.

Why?

WHY?!?

BECAUSE GATTAI, THAT'S WHY

TO HELL WITH GATTAI!

Hunter x Hunter 135

Well guys, it's almost over, featuring 3 of the more interesting Chimera Ants talking about ant orgasms and little girls

duckroll

Soul Eater Not - Episode 11

At least the action doesn't look as bad as ep7. Still, it's extremely unimpressive for BONES. The show is clearly rushed and doesn't have much care or polish put into the visuals, which is pretty unfortunate, especially after how many of the same people managed to make Noragami look really good. Oh well, only one episode left, at least it's somewhat decent as a time waster. Too bad we won't be getting the finale next week though. Italy vs Uruguay is taking up the slot next week, and the finale will only air on July 1st instead. Lolz.

----

Well, here's the information that's probably going to be announced for Gargantia tomorrow: the release dates for the OVAs are November 21 this year and May 27 next year. Both listed for 50 minutes.

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/479086162129063938

Whoops, the links are already dead! I wonder if they listed staff... :(

Andrew J.

M3 09

One of the better episodes of this series because it gave so much screentime to the mad scientist,, the only character who's acted and animated with any energy or creativity.

Hopefully now that a certain revelation is out of the way the next episode or two can focus on robot action without getting too dragged down by angst and introspection.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 26 END

That bait and switch was so evil.

I don't really know how to feel about the ending.
They just arrive and it's over. I kind of wanted an episode or part of an episode for their return to Earth.
And Okita died. But it was inevitable, they were pushing that the entire series. But I didn't want to believe.

-----------------------------

Now I never watched the original Yamato series, but I feel that this series perfectly captured that era of Sci-fi, especially the anime kind.

You got the AWESOME OP that always starts the same way with a launch, the previews and saying the same thing at the end of the previews, those dumb laser pistols that were in every single Sci-Fi series from that decade, the soundtrack, pretty much everything. I also thought they did a good job of modernizing Matsumoto's designs.

Even though this is the remake, I can pretty clearly see the influence this had on works that came after it *COUGH* GUNDAM *COUGH*

This series also had some of the best CGI I've seen in the TV series. Nothing stood out as much as regular ugly TV series CGI, except those planet bombs.

Also the doctor was the best character.

But seriously, that OP.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Second part of the watch bet:

Usagi Drop 01

Uh-huh.

Interesting artstyle. That other kid, Reina, looks a bit out of place though.

One of the more interesting aspects of Usagi Drop was the artstyle. During the episode the style subtly changes but you don't really notice. Then when the next episode starts it looks different than what you last saw. Watching episodes back to back I noticed this and I thought it was pretty cool.

Soul Eater Not - Episode 11

At least the action doesn't look as bad as ep7. Still, it's extremely unimpressive for BONES. The show is clearly rushed and doesn't have much care or polish put into the visuals, which is pretty unfortunate, especially after how many of the same people managed to make Noragami look really good. Oh well, only one episode left, at least it's somewhat decent as a time waster. Too bad we won't be getting the finale next week though. Italy vs Uruguay is taking up the slot next week, and the finale will only air on July 1st instead. Lolz.

----

Whoops, the links are already dead! I wonder if they listed staff... :(
Lolz Indeed

I guess i should be happy that it's decently animated

Gurren Lagann 15 - The "Oh Shit!" Episode
Jawdrop.gif

OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT

In the last few minutes when
the dust started to settle
I did the...
nod-of-approval.gif

Dat ending was just beautiful!!!
giphy.gif

At least if the very end of this show is crap I can default to this as the "real ending". Also the scene used above right before
they go in for a full blown attack
was amazing. Great animation the entire episode. My jaw was on the ground for most of the episode. I need to go take a walk. FUCK...

Gurren Lagann 15 - The "Oh Shit!" Episode

Jawdrop.gif

OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT
nod-of-approval.gif

Dat ending was just beautiful!!!
giphy.gif

At least if the very end of this show is crap I can default to this as the "real ending".

If you think this episode had a huge "Oh Shit!" factor to it you've still got quite a ways to go. ;)

FYI episode 16 is a clip show episode.

Show continues at episode 17.

So, so much better than G Gundam.

Monster 1-62
Oh my god, how is this so good?! Holy shit, on the edge of my fucking seat. Can not even deal with whats going down now.

You know I was on episode..... 7ish of this show when I started all my watch bets. I'll be returning to this along with Haruhi Suzumiya and Hyouka after TTGL and G Gundam.

santeesioux

Well that's weird, on my Roku earlier there were ads for Crunchyroll's update for HD content finally, but it never updated. I then went on their forums and read that the update had rejected by Roku, wonder what that was about.

Kanon 07

Uguu x 2
UPM 2

This episode was focused on Makoto. Wow I can't believe her,
she drops a cat from a bridge overlooking traffic and seems to do so without a care.
I can't forgive her for that, that was horrifying. Also when Yuuichi goes looking for her he finds her on the top of a hill with no snow yet the path leading up to it was covered in it. The ground also seemed to be glowing so I'm assuming this is the fantasy/magic bit in Kanon.

Monster 1-62
Oh my god, how is this so good?! Holy shit, on the edge of my fucking seat. Can not even deal with whats going down now.

The series certainly makes you wonder what is going to happen next. Looking forward to see what you think of the ending. Still will forever hate VIZ for not releasing the four other boxsets.

Alright, I want to start on the big one: Legend of the Galactic Heroes but I got one question.

What in the hell is the watch order on this thing? There's like 10 animations.

Mature

FCLC 1-6
I also enjoyed the humor and the nonsense/the story behind it. I just didn't like that they only made 6 episodes.
based Gainax.
Ah, really? I thought 6 episodes was just about the perfect amount. And I definitely don't think they could have kept the production as tight and consistent if they made it any longer.

Finalow

Ah, really? I thought 6 episodes was just about the perfect amount. And I definitely don't think they could have kept the production as tight and consistent if they made it any longer.
I just meant that I wanted to see more, I wasn't satisfied with only 6. of course they had their reasons if they couldn't or didn't want to do more.

also forgot this gif~

large.gif

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I only enjoyed FLCL for the animation and music. Everything else was extremely offputting and I hate the show in all honesty. My opinion is in the minority.

Alright, I want to start on the big one: Legend of the Galactic Heroes but I got one question.

What in the hell is the watch order on this thing? There's like 10 animations.

Start with Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War, which is an expanded and improved version of the first 2 episodes of the main OVA series, then proceed to episode 3 of the main OVA series and continue from there.

My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and the two Gaiden series (A Hundred Billion Lights, A Hundred Billion Stars and Spiral Labyrinth) should be watched after the main OVA series.

Start with Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War, which is an expanded and improved version of the first 2 episodes of the main OVA series, then proceed to episode 3 of the main OVA series and continue from there.

My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and the two Gaiden series (A Hundred Billion Lights, A Hundred Billion Stars and Spiral Labyrinth) should be watched after the main OVA series.

Ok, thanks.

What about Golden Wings?

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 4
367916.jpg

I am pretty sure that's not how the Eiffel Tower actually looks.... :p
This writing.... it's soo.... lazy. The MC shifts from being a jerk to being angsty back to being a somewhat kind hearted jerk. Probably not my best idea to be watching this right after the amazing episode 15 of TTGL but here we are. I don't understand why our MC
hasn't actually taken any of the Gundams out
. Maybe it's to stretch the series out so he can
go back and fight them later but it's one of those "come on just beat up someone"

Dunno. All I know is that this show just makes me want to watch Gundam Wing more. So far it's just basically the same layout every episode. Find Gundam Fighter -> Fight Gundam Fighter ->
Don't actually win any of the fights
-> ask about man in photograph.

Idk maybe it will pick up in a few episodes but it's just boring. Even the fights aren't all that interesting. I want to love this show so bad(mainly because I loved Gundam Wing growing up) so I really do hope it picks up soon.

I haven't watched it myself, but the general impression I get is that it's bad and should not be watched.

Alright. I'll maybe watch it after I finish the first OVA.

But starting a 110 episode completed series is daunting. I already have so much trouble pushing through 26 episode series.
Not because they're bad I'm just lazy

Clov

Do these take place after/during the main OVA series? I watched the main OVA series fairly recently, and I was under the impression that the OVA adapted all of the novels. Did I miss out on something great? If so, I'll watch them immediately after I'm caught up on Hunter x Hunter.

Kanon 08

No Uguu today!

I'm assuming I'm in the Makoto arc of the visual novel. So...
Makoto is a fox.
Wtf? This makes Yuuichi and Makoto's relationship with one another cross the line of sweet to creepy. It looks like
Makoto lost her memory and is soon going to lose her life because she used some form of magic to transform into a human.
This is even weirder than the robot bs from Clannad.

Do these take place after/during the main OVA series? I watched the main OVA series fairly recently, and I was under the impression that the OVA adapted all of the novels. Did I miss out on something great? If so, I'll watch them immediately after I'm caught up on Hunter x Hunter.
My Conquest is a Sea of Stars is essentially the pilot, I'd actually watch it first.

My Conquest is a Sea of Stars is essentially the pilot, I'd actually watch it first.

So, Overture then Conquest then the OVA? Or Overture then Ova then Conquest/the rest.

If it won't do any damage to watch Conquest first, I think I'll do that.

Some Gainax love around here
The sad truth is that episode 15 is by far the peak of TTGL, so savour it while it lasts.

I think so too, but the last few episodes are great as well.

They all take place before the main OVA series, and they're worth watching, if not at the same level as the main series. My Conquest is the Sea of Stars has a pretty rad fight set to Ravel's Bolero.

I think it's better to watch after the main OVA series, otherwise you'll be confused as to why it's focusing on so many seemingly unimportant characters.

Clov

It takes place before the series then? It's a bit late for me to start with it, but I can give it a watch later if it's worth it.

Edit:

They all take place before the main OVA series, and they're worth watching, if not at the same level as the main series. My Conquest is the Sea of Stars has a pretty rad fight set to Ravel's Bolero.

That's what I wanted to hear! I was sad when I finished the main OVA, and I'm overjoyed that there's more content of the same quality. I'll definitely be giving these a watch later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom