• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Animu gaf I need you're help. I'm wanting to watch a dark anime but can't think of any. I prefer dark animes and haven't watched one for a while. I've watched a few and I know there are alot more but can't make up my mind.

I would appreciate you're recommendations.

For example I liked Fate/Zero, Another, Higurashi when I was in the mood for dark stuff.

BTW I like happy stuff to but not in the mood for it right now.
Vampire Princess Miyu TV
Violinist of Hameln

Narag is supposed to turn into me, not the other way around!
Jokes on you. Narag's power level isn't unrealized, it's just hidden.

Branduil

6ykjyx2.png

Thanks for reminding us of the Yotsubato anime we'll never get!

Theonik

Oh, you think anime is your ally? But you merely adopted Japanese animation. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see real life until I was already a man. By then, it was nothing but disgusting. The waifus betray you, because they belong to me. I will show you where I have made my home, whilst preparing to bring justice. Then, I will break you.

Your precious GAF account, gratefully accepted. We will need it. Ah yes, I was wondering what would break first. Your spirit, or your body.
*clap*

Articalys

Speaking of Ping Pong, only a handful of hours left before noitaminA is over for the season and we've got a two week break before the Watanabe/Kanno/MAPPA team gets the seat back for another go.

Branduil

That's because the author claimed that the stories and style of Yotsuba&! are not well-suited for anime. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-04/yotsuba&creator-kiyohiko-azuma-addresses-anime-rumors

This also means any chance of seeing Yoshitoshi ABe's Ryuushika Ryuushika as an anime probably won't happen either seeing as it's quite similar to Yotusba&!'s storytelling.

I don't really buy that explanation. Slice-of-life is hardly a format that can't be done in anime; it seems more likely he just wasn't happy with the Azumanga adaptation for whatever reason.

Tonari no Seki-kun OVA 01

upupupupupupupu~

Puchimas!! 64

The queen appears.

Shinryaku! Ika Musume 2 11-12

And so ends Squid Girl. At least there's still the manga to fall back on.

Hitsugi no Chaika 11

As you expected, it is I, Chaika!

Link Man

Banned
Thunderstorms. Still have power, but it might be wise to stay off the computer. I apologize to PshycoNinja, as I won't be able to watch Clannad tonight.

I don't really buy that explanation. Slice-of-life is hardly a format that can't be done in anime; it seems more likely he just wasn't happy with the Azumanga adaptation for whatever reason.

Well the original post by Kiyohiko Azuma was from around May 2008. Maybe his opinion has changed over the six years, but I personally haven't read any news about Yotsuba&! being green-lit for an anime. Ultimately it is the author's decision for what can be done with his work isn't it?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Apparently I have to watch 11.5 next which Firehawk considers to be the Gravity of anime. I figure that's just code for his waifu being prominent.
11.5 is the most integral episode of the series and justifies both the film arc and the festival arc.

Also, Onee-san.

Articalys

So I tried that Gargantia web game for a bit.

http://fly.gargantia.jp/

The actual flying game isn't too much -- just a basic "follow the path through the rings" thing for now -- but the story/VN part of it is pretty neat. There's quite a lot of the brand-new, fully voiced dialogue (even with a couple branching choices that, admittedly, only affect the next handful of lines) and it's definitely worth a couple runs through if you enjoyed the show.

I'll look forward to when they release the next part.

So I tried that Gargantia web game for a bit.

http://fly.gargantia.jp/

The actual flying game isn't too much -- just a basic "follow the path through the rings" thing for now -- but the story/VN part of it is pretty neat. There's quite a lot of the brand-new, fully voiced dialogue (even with a couple branching choices that, admittedly, only affect the next handful of lines) and it's definitely worth a couple runs through if you enjoyed the show.

I'll look forward to when they release the next part.

Is there an option for inverted controls?

Articalys

Is there an option for inverted controls?
Yep, both X and Y axis. Though the game is honestly the shortest part of it at the moment; the VN part is much more interesting.

edit: haha, I just realized, Ledo's broken speech patterns while he's still learning the Gargantia language kinda feel similar to Chaika's.

edit 2: flipping back and forth between the Japanese and English text, it seems the English subtitles take some liberties with the length of the sentence on occasion, not to mention they lost the cute musical note symbols at the end of some of Amy's lines. Still pretty solid all around though.

Thunderstorms. Still have power, but it might be wise to stay off the computer. I apologize to PshycoNinja, as I won't be able to watch Clannad tonight.

Oh don't worry about it. I completely understand. Watch it at your own pace. I am a patient man.

And I just pasted the Fire Crystal so I think I am making some good progress through the game. :)

In other news I am going to do my best to finish Gurren Lagann tonight (and probably fail).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I hear a lot of people like to pretend the second season of Darker Than Black doesn't exist. Just how bad is it? I really enjoyed the first season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The only thing 11.5 does is waste time.
Naw, 11.5 justifies the sudden character change in 12. If 11.5 didn't exist, I would have probably ranked Hyouka much lower on my top ten list. In fact, I would have wondered if I was watching the anime version of Lost because it so easily betrays characterization for the sake of plot.

---
Random cross post just for shiggles:

So I decided to watch some of the 3rd Anniversary Love Live Concert just to truly understand the idol experience.

I've seen the two K-On concerts, and I think they work because they're meant to be a band and half the event is anime fanservice instead of pure music (the fact that they learned to play their character's respective instruments is a nice bonus), but I don't think I got anything watching this concert.
sZ6z08nl.jpg

NHDevYEl.jpg

Insert joke about 2d vs 3d here.

j9l8Nc6l.jpg

Nico pulling a Gene Simmons.

I think the problem is that idol singers aren't all that interesting. There's so many of them that you have to service everyone by giving each singer one song and the sub-units their own song, meaning you don't really care about any of them in particular. The fact that all they do is just dance around and sing isn't all that compelling to watch either, unless you like seeing 20something women dress up in school girl uniforms/costumes while prancing around a stage and making weird gestures. Of course, I missed the whole K-Pop thing, so I'm sure there's some Asian music thing that I just completely missed.

But perhaps the most disappointing part to me is that I discovered that the music is much less complicated than I thought it was. How do you have a 3 or 9 part vocal group and NOT HAVE HARMONIES? I know shitty pop songs are shitty pop songs, but even Green Day has harmonies in their songs.

That said, I suppose the real point of going is to hear them talk to "you" for 30 minutes at the end of the concert. Half of it is shilling to you about various products coming out (Vita game!!!) and half is crying about how grateful they are to have "you" as a fan... I'd like to believe they're being genuine about that, but I'm also so cynical that I can imagine some evil producer telling the girls to cry on cue in order to sell Love Live branded tissues after the concert.

But hey, at least Love Live isn't as stupid as AKB48 with elections and weird shit. lol

mankoto

Psycho-Pass 14-22 END
This was absolutely fantastic through and through, especially 16-21. I don't really see a need for a continuation, but I'm not complaining. I'm certainly going to watch it.

Star Driver 07-11
Huh, and I stopped where I did last time because I thought it would be a major turning point. But nope, everything is still the same except that Sugata has "awoken" (bad pun I know) to his powers. I really hope they explain why he's able to use his powers more than once... And "I'm just lucky" isn't really going to cut it. If anything, Takuto's transformation sequence is amazing so I can't stay too mad.

Black Bullet 11
Now that's what I call thrown to the dogs. Oh hey Hiruko's back. Well, he's still in the OP so it makes sense. It was only a matter of time.

Hitsugi No Chaika 11
I really don't think Chaika should be allowed to wear make-up. It looks weird on her. Now that I think about it, I wonder how many Chaika's are out there.

No Game No Life 11
This episode was hilarious. First time I laughed throughout the entire episode for this series.

Chariot

I hear a lot of people like to pretend the second season of Darker Than Black doesn't exist. Just how bad is it? I really enjoyed the first season.
I enjoyed it, but its a bit different in tone. Since Hei is now the secondary maincharacter for the most part (Hobo Hei). Instead we get behind Suo, a highschool girl with everything that means (well, except school, gladly we at least didn't get that).
But she ain't that bad in my eyes.
You should watch the OVAs first, though. Second season makes no sense towards the end, without the OVA.

fertygo

Naw, 11.5 justifies the sudden character change in 12. If 11.5 didn't exist, I would have probably ranked Hyouka much lower on my top ten list. In fact, I would have wondered if I was watching the anime version of Lost because it so easily betrays characterization for the sake of plot.

The author not even write that eps.. the bigger thing tho, the part that you mentioning is like 15 sec man..

Quasar

I think we're in the end game now.
The party is assembled and the party leader now in control of his habilities

My precictions:
-An episode where everyone ins the party will have flashbacks and we'll finaly retrieve him by the end.
-An episode where they finally take care of the death flag problem.
HAPPY HAREM END.

Are we? I mean its based on a still being written novel series. Or has it gone right off the reservation?

Mik317

Diebuster 1-4

Let me start by saying that I found Gunbuster to be an okay OVA series with a gdlk ending. This is mainly due to most of the cast being kinda unlikable...and that I only really watched it to watch Diebuster due to the staff behind it..and well.

Shit delivered so hard.

Episode 4 in particular is just holy shit son. I have to getr up rather early tommorow or otherwise I'd finish the series...so hopefully it doesn't shit the bed in those episode (it is Gainax so the ending could potentially fuck things up...for better or for worse).

But as of right now...this is in my top 5 for sure.

Sudden character change? I didn't see any evidence of that when I was watching the series.

Chariot

Second season doesn't make sense even with the OVAs. Just watch the OVAs and call it a day, your brain cells will thank you.
Why? The plot regarding Suo and her family is easy to understand as it is, only
Yins Plot
was totally incomprehensible, because the show gave little to no informations. If you dislike it is another thing.

Jarmel

Banned
I want hammer all those fool that saying Eva TV is outdated.. smh

Well they're right, 2D is dead.

Why? The plot regarding Suo and her family is easy to understand as it is, only
Yins Plot
was totally incomprehensible, because the show gave little to no informations. If you dislike it is another thing.

Well considering the climax revolves around Yin's shit, yea that's a serious problem.

Gurren Lagann 21 - I'm Baaaccccckkkkk!

Now this is the Gurren Lagann I remember. I liked what they did with
Yoko and made here the stereotypical hot Sensei
. Which was great for a few of the jokes there. Yoko is just amazing this episode. When those
two gunman show up and Yoko hits the wall to reveal the weapons I was like "Holy Shit Yoko is back!"

I am glad everyone is now in agreement that Rossiu was wrong and is, in fact, an asshole. Yoko's
response to everything he said was spot on
. Loving Yoko again! And that moment with
Simon and Viral
at the end.... amazing.

Chariot

Well considering the climax revolves around Yin's shit, yea that's a serious problem.
That's why I recommended to watch the OVA's first. With them the second season is pretty good understandable, with... something... hanging for another season.

Shergal

Not really, at most it emphasizes it. The tail-end of episode 11 coupled with the implication of a small time-skip at the beginning of 12 is all I need, and Oreki's kinda detached attitude at the beginning of the festival fits into how the previous arc ended up for him. I mean it's cool that 11.5 acknowledges what happened prior, even if it's just two ultra short conversation scenes hammered onto the episode, but saying it makes or breaks the show is way off the mark.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The author not even write that eps.. the bigger thing tho, the part that you mentioning is like 15 sec man..
The whole episode is a bridge between the two halves of the series though! Not just 15 seconds!

Sudden character change? I didn't see any evidence of that when I was watching the series.
He basically breaks down in 11 after realizing he's been manipulated. Suddenly, in 12, there's no mention of it whatsoever and everything's back to normal. I don't know how I would have reacted if I didn't see 11.5, but I imagine I would have at least been annoyed if not angry.

Not really, at most it emphasizes it. The tail-end of episode 11 coupled with the implication of a small time-skip at the beginning of 12 is all I need, and Oreki's kinda detached attitude at the beginning of the festival fits into how the previous arc ended up for him. I mean it's cool that 11.5 acknowledges what happened prior, even if it's just two ultra short conversation scenes hammered onto the episode, but saying it makes or breaks the show is way off the mark.
For me, it makes a good show excellent, because it shows that someone - whether the FMP guy adapting the series or the original LN guy - had character arcs in mind and understands how to portray that in a serialized format.

duckroll

11.5 is a pretty bland episode. I don't think I'll ever understand what firehawk really sees in it. I can't even tell if he's trolling us all. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom