• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skull Man - End

And so another anime closes with an
apocalyptic
ending. They do like to do that.
At least some of the people I liked survived.
The initially grounded nature of the show gradually broke down, as was inevitable when you're dealing with superhero/tokusatsu style stories, but the ending managed to not go off the rails with how it carefully developed and bore to fruition the many plot threads going on. Although there were some threads left open (
Brain Gear...
). And I have no idea what was up with that last post-credits scene.

Gochiusa 11

3lvuXWb.png

- Demon instructor ! Death god of the battlefield !
- those are compliments.

I have no idea what to watch next now though. Any recommendations for something similar to Monster?

Master Keaton is an earlier series from the same manga author, featuring the titular jack-of-all-trades and his many and varied globetrotting adventures. It's episodic instead of serialized, unlike Monster, but I think it carries a similar appeal.

If you're talking about in quality, plenty.

If you're talking about similar in seriousness and universal appeal that isn't bogged down by anime tropes? Then not too many.

If you haven't though give Baccano a try. Another western-setting anime with little anime tropes and highly rated and loved.

Yeah, I mostly meant in terms of quality.
As far as anime tropes go; I'll watch literally anything through to the end so I don't really mind too much. Hell, i've watched through bullshit garbage like Infinte Stratos (bad idea), Oriemo (gradually got worse), the Endless Eight (because someone said I couldn't) so I can't really complain about that sort of thing.

I've seen Baccano, liked it quite a bit. Haven't seen Durarara yet though...

Tried Darker Than Black or Ergo Proxy?

Master Keaton is an earlier series from the same manga author, featuring the titular jack-of-all-trades and his many and varied globetrotting adventures. It's episodic instead of serialized, unlike Monster, but I think it carries a similar appeal.

Hmm, no I haven't watched any of those yet. I'll look into it, thanks.

Thoraxes

But the problem is that I need to know if the lewd is worth it. I need some gifs to convince me.

No it's not on lewd alone, however as a connoisseur of harem shows (cause I can't get enough bad or good), I really liked STB. Good girls, good music, and the story and action was cool.

fertygo

Ping Pong - END

I kinda want to deny the AOTY talk for this, but man I can't deny this is the best episode that I watched all year long lol
No wonder firehawk is raving, this is that he always talking about.. god you guys l bring this shit up forever will unbearable, I still love those shounen sport animu, fuck y'all :D

I always know the story of this show is magnificent being arguably Taiyou Matsumoto best work and all. With the OST being awesome as fuck, the remaining make or break for this adaptation is the production value, the first two episode setting high expectation and standard for me, its looked so beautiful with great art direction, cinematography and animation.. I must admit the few episode after that is disappointing me because the rough production value, fortunately the show can recover despite the rough still seen here and there and deliver the golden standard again especially for last 2 eps.. just simply outstanding, hopefully the blu-ray can also fix the problem in past episode, then the show as whole can be perfect!

Btw Kazama x Smile OTP, both make an wonderful banter together. give me smile at this one.

Lurky

Man you guys are making me want to watch bible black for some reason. I also couldn't fap to it but the story is better than most modern anime. Which is pretty impressive for a hentai from like the 90's.

Narag

Skull Man - End

And I have no idea what was up with that last post-credits scene.

Let's see if I can gets this straight: Shotaro Ishinomori, creator of Cyborg 009 and Skull Man, had long since said the two properties were connected somehow but never really explained just how they were. This show attempts to bridge that gap.

Show was meant to serve as a prequel to a potential Cyborg 009 reboot iirc. The baby that Kiriko has is supposed to be Joe Shimamura, 009's protagonist. What you see at the end is the Skull Man having been retrieved and repurposed as the Black Ghost, Cyborg 009's future antagonist, which would set up some tragic father/son stuff down the line. That's where the Brain Gear stuff led, another cute nod with the initials being shared with 009's secret antagonist organization.

I think Duckroll said they got the VAs from the original Cyborg 009 show to play the number named cast in Skull Man. It's like this really neat love letter to the whole franchise if I had to describe it, it's just no one really sees it coming. lol Biggest clue I think they give past the callback with the VAs is some character designs looking really old school all of a sudden compared to everything else about halfway through.

http://i.imgur.com/nNGbTim.jpg is a more traditional look for the property but you can see where the Black Ghost design had been made far more contemporary in the Skull Man vs how it's normally presented.

TUSR

Banned
Nanana's Buried Treasure Episode 11

Part way through this episode I wasn't sure what to think of the show. But seeing the Juugo interactions with Nanana makes me almost want another one.

That was the last episode right?

fertygo

Man you guys are making me want to watch bible black for some reason. I also couldn't fap to it but the story is better than most modern anime. Which is pretty impressive for a hentai from like the 90's.

The hell?
How reading this thread convince you to watch bible black? lol

Chariot

Good writing isn't a recent invention. And I dunno about BBs plot. It's essentially "lolsatan", isn't it? There are way better hentai doujinshi that would make a good story.

Baccano! - 2

Lol, this mining couple is the best.

"Hmm, she wants a baby brother, but we can't give her a baby brother. Lets give her something expensive instead. But we don't have any money! Welp, time to commit a train-robbery!"

This is said with the most cheerful attitude possible. :lol

Huh, so there's a
bomb on the Pussywagon. So that's what's gonna happen to it.

Lurky

Good writing isn't a recent invention. And I dunno about BBs plot. It's essentially "lolsatan", isn't it? There are way better hentai doujinshi that would make a good story.

At the very least it's better than SAO. And the ending satisfies me.

Nanana 11
Please bomb and never get renewed for another season.

Nanana's Buried Treasure Episode 11

Part way through this episode I wasn't sure what to think of the show. But seeing the Juugo interactions with Nanana makes me almost want another one.

That was the last episode right?

I don't want to hate Nanananananana but it's good stuff is few and far between and there's too many goddamn characters so the best ones can never get any screentime

docbon

Chaika The Coffin PrinnnWHAAAAATTTTOOHHMMMYYYYGOOODDD

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

Award for most out of nowhere fucked up imagery goes to this anime, GOD DAMN

I'm generally pretty good at guessing plot twist but I was not expecting everyone's favorite Dragon Loli to
Get fucking impaled in the head by a Giger esque monster

I was expecting, but still found really messed up, what happened to all the girls the Duke kidnapped
having them all be cut up and hung in a half dead state to feed their memories of pain to a magic weapon

And of course on a less messed up part of the scale we have more truth bombs from Layla who is as guessed revealed to be
another Chaika one who discovered the truth behind why the Chaikas were created
followed by Gilette manning the fuck up and
threatening to kill the commander if he would not stand down from a war that both sides seemed to want for unknown reasons

If you haven't been watching Chaika or stopped it's time to catch up shit got so real

Yeah I started watching this.

Episode 11 is just
whew.png

Gurren Lagann 26 - And You Thought It Couldn't Get Any Crazier

Despite Crunchyroll trying to frustrate me to no end and trying to completely ruin this episodes tone and pace, this was a really really good episode. Would've been a hell of a lot better if Crunchyroll didn't pause and screw up so much.
Kamina's appearance
actually made me bittersweet. They did it wonderfully and pumped me for this last episode.

The fact that they shot in
every direction through multiple time periods and multiple dimensions
is retarded levels of awesome. I think at one point they were
throwing planets at Super Special Awesome Mega Ultra Dai-Gurren Lagann
which is just insane.

Bring on the last episode!!!!

TUSR

Banned
I don't want to hate Nanananananana but it's good stuff is few and far between and there's too many goddamn characters so the best ones can never get any screentime

Thats exactly what I found, who is who and what the fuck are they doing. Nothing is fleshed out because there are too many characters.

Despite Crunchyroll trying to frustrate me to no end and trying to completely ruin this episodes tone and pace, this was a really really good episode. Would've been a hell of a lot better if Crunchyroll didn't pause and screw up so much.
Kamina's appearance
actually made me bittersweet. They did it wonderfully and pumped me for this last episode.

which is just insane.

Kamina appearing gave me anime feels

Baccano! - 2

Lol, this mining couple is the best.

"Hmm, she wants a baby brother, but we can't give her a baby brother. Lets give her something expensive instead. But we don't have any money! Welp, time to commit a train-robbery!"

This is said with the most cheerful attitude possible. :lol

Huh, so there's a
bomb on the Pussywagon. So that's what's gonna happen to it.

Isaac and Miria are infectious and a favorite among many viewers. Some reviewers even go so far as to say that without them the show wouldn't be as good. I love them to death.

Let's see if I can gets this straight: Shotaro Ishinomori, creator of Cyborg 009 and Skull Man, had long since said the two properties were connected somehow but never really explained just how they were. This show attempts to bridge that gap.

Show was meant to serve as a prequel to a potential Cyborg 009 reboot iirc. The baby that Kiriko has is supposed to be Joe Shimamura, 009's protagonist. What you see at the end is the Skull Man having been retrieved and repurposed as the Black Ghost, Cyborg 009's future antagonist, which would set up some tragic father/son stuff down the line. That's where the Brain Gear stuff led, another cute nod with the initials being shared with 009's secret antagonist organization.

I think Duckroll said they got the VAs from the original Cyborg 009 show to play the number named cast in Skull Man. It's like this really neat love letter to the whole franchise if I had to describe it, it's just no one really sees it coming. lol Biggest clue I think they give past the callback with the VAs is some character designs looking really old school all of a sudden compared to everything else about halfway through.

http://i.imgur.com/nNGbTim.jpg is a more traditional look for the property but you can see where the Black Ghost design had been made far more contemporary in the Skull Man vs how it's normally presented.

Thanks for that; it helps a bunch. I'm aware of Cyborg 009 but not really familiar with the intricies of it, so I didn't pick up on the homage. It's a little annoying, inasmuch as it makes Skull Man less of a stand alone work, but it still mostly works without prior franchise knowledge so I can't complain too much.

Choujigen Game Neptune: The Animation 1-12

I watched all this anime in one sitting because a friend wanted to watch it, I don't even consider myself a Neptunia fan, but I still found the anime to be a surprisingly decent for a short video game adaptation.

I was not expecting this anime to make me cry, but this scene was really fucking sad:

vlcsnap_439231825.png

P-ko!

You should watch the oav ASAP.

Narag

Thanks for that; it helps a bunch. I'm aware of Cyborg 009 but not really familiar with the intricies of it, so I didn't pick up on the homage. It's a little annoying, inasmuch as it makes Skull Man less of a stand alone work, but it still mostly works without prior franchise knowledge so I can't complain too much.

I think that it'd probably work better without watching the last scene if one wanted something more standalone, just there's this creation of a :kayos moment if one is unaware of what the show is attempting when they watch that last bit.

Kamina's appearance

which is just insane.

Get ready for the best final showdown in all of anime. Ever.

Gurren Lagann movies are better

The movies are only worth it for their final 30 minutes of awesomeness that they throw at you.

Ping Pong - END

I kinda want to deny the AOTY talk for this, but man I can't deny this is the best episode that I watched all year long lol
No wonder firehawk is raving, this is that he always talking about.. god you guys l bring this shit up forever will unbearable, I still love those shounen sport animu, fuck y'all :D

I always know the story of this show is magnificent being arguably Taiyou Matsumoto best work and all. With the OST being awesome as fuck, the remaining make or break for this adaptation is the production value, the first two episode setting high expectation and standard for me, its looked so beautiful with great art direction, cinematography and animation.. I must admit the few episode after that is disappointing me because the rough production value, fortunately the show can recover despite the rough still seen here and there and deliver the golden standard again especially for last 2 eps.. just simply outstanding, hopefully the blu-ray can also fix the problem in past episode, then the show as whole can be perfect!

Btw Kazama x Smile OTP, both make an wonderful banter together. give me smile at this one.

It's too bad the series is so freaking ugly to look at, the amount of eye bleach I need after seeing some of the images might break the bank

Black Bullet 9

"You're part of my loli-harem plan" lol teacher is by far the best character

Well the team is together and it's nice to have one or two loli girls who don't want Satomi's d yet. Looks like shit is gonna get real next episode

Standing in the edge of the Ping Pong, Like the 11 once said

Great ending. I guess I wasn't too far off. Also the whole "children singing with ping pong" thing made me laugh. That's so Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom