• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Bullet 11

Man there was a huge missed opportunity in wrapping up the arc with masked villain in 4 episodes because now that he's back the show is already 10x better then it was. Is this show confirmed to be split cours or are they going for an AoT "season 2 will come when there is enough to adapt" mentality?

Non Non Biyori.

Nyanpasu~

Try Acchi Kocchi if you haven't. It has cute, it has humor, and it has a sweet semi-romance. But most importantly it has zero drama and it's infectiously sweet.

If not that, if you want some drama but a damn good slice of life with great music, try Kids on the Slope. It has great jazz music. Of course directed by Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop) it better be.

Kimi to Boku is potentially the best one around.

Ef: A tale of memories.

This one is definitely right up your alley. It has one of the sweetest high-school romances in any anime ever.

Hourou Musuko - Wandering Son

Non non biyori, kinmoza, gochiusa, acchi kocchi

Hidamari Sketch, it also doubles as the greatest anime from the second season onward.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into all of these. (Just don't expect me to get to all of them soon ;) )

This also doubles as gathering all the suggestions so I can screen capture all the suggestions onto my iPad so I can look and see which anime to start next.

Thoraxes

I think I haven't watched the show precisely because of that chart.

It's quite an engaging show, and the amount of world-building through the environment is well done in establishing the show's tone and well... setting. The use of silence to portray a scene is really fantastic too.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Endless Eight 3) S2 4
VLC-00007.png

Wake me from this nightmare!!!!

Narag

Same, but the more I see the chart, the more I want to watch it and the more I get afraid of actually watching it and react like the chart.

I can handle most shit and laugh it off when it comes to my chinese cartoons. I attempted to battle the chart and it cast me down, defeated.

Jarmel

Banned
Dominion Tank Police 3-4(fin)
So yea half-way in the 3rd episode, things start to go screwy in the bad sense. See up to that point, the show had been a whacky futuristic police comedy and it now starts to turn into this boring depressing futuristic drama.
I don't give a shit about the background of the villains but instead the story goes on and on, to the point where I started to fall asleep. Buaku's background is sort of interesting but it's really so flat compared to the rest of the show and so different in tone, that it made me wonder if I had accidentally switched shows. I just kept hoping the anime would switch back to the Puma twins. This show really started to lose me once the comedy stopped. I didn't even understand what the purpose of these 'serious elements' were and why somebody put them in there. The ending of the 4th episode especially felt like philosophical hogwash, like the last ten minutes just feel completely unnecessary and made me ask why the fuck am I watching this?
ipsFBkpMciwIh.jpg

Proper use of Dezaki postcards
I should note that there weren't any good sakuga cuts in episode 3 although there was a lot of action in the backhalf of episode 4. My favorite moment there was this cut:
http://a.pomf.se/phlcxn.webm
Like holy shit he launches a tank on to a helicopter. That's some Revengeance-level stuff right there.
Anyway, not sure if I can recommend this, mainly due to the tone switch in the 3rd episode.

Narag

Dominion Tank Police 3-4(fin)
Anyway, not sure if I can recommend this, mainly due to the tone switch in the 3rd episode.

Think part of the tone shift is because it leads directly into the manga which isn't quite as goofy as the show is at the beginning.

ckohler

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 27 [END] - Who The Hell Do You Think We Are?!

That was a fun ride while it lasted. This entire final battle battle was indeed retarded levels of awesome.
Bouncing off galaxies, throwing galaxies, using an attack that is strong enough to start new universes and called The Big Bang something.
It can't get crazier than that. All the episodes leading up to the end was awesome....

...except the actual fucking ending itself! Seriously?! Simon goes all the way to
the Anti-Spiral's home world and destroy them, all for trying to get Nia back. And she just fucking disappears/dies after they get married
. What a freakin stupid way to end things.

Now I am trying to think of a place where I think the series truly ended. Fuck that ending. Awesome episode. Dumb ending.

Did you watch the post credits ending? Set 20 years later? I liked the ending of TTGL. It's bittersweet. The post credits ending was really beautiful.

Jarmel

Banned
Think part of the tone shift is because it leads directly into the manga which isn't quite as goofy as the show is at the beginning.

God fucking damn it. My minimal interest in checking out the manga, mainly due to the Puma twins, is dwindling even further.

Is this the chart you guys are referring to?

I'll be honest I'm kind of scared of starting this show because of this chart as well, haha.

That chart seems pretty interesting.
Also, i've seen Black Lagoon. It's pretty good.
Thanks for all the recommendations by the way. I'll probably assign each a number and then let a random number generator make the decision for me.

Andrew J.

Samurai Flamenco 12

Killing Joke is a JJBA-level pop culture reference that is completely lacking in subtlety.

This show burns through monsters awfully fast, which is why I suppose there's
sixty-four new ones now. I have no confidence that any significant percentage of them will be examined in much depth, of course.

So The Wind Rises... Anno or JGL?

Anno!

Happy Birthday R_thanatos.

---

Haha. I liked Tia too. Even if you're not a fan of her personality, her stats are really good. She probably has the best speed, her magic is really good and with the right weapons she can be just a good as the fighter characters. Yeah, the games have pretty bitter sweet endings. The music is really good too,yeah.

I guess it's the third game for the GameBoy Color, The Legend Returns, that coming to the VC. Regarding the second game which I had posted about, it sounds like it could still be possible. Maybe they're waiting on sales or interest.

I have a friend that loved the GameBoy Lufia but I didn't get to play it.

There's still reasonable people here. Not everyone who posts in AnimeGaf is a hyperbolic eccentric. :(

Shocking Alberto did post here that one time.

---

Ecchi Tsuu - 15~20

m3yeQtt.jpg

In the end BL wins.

I like how in this one Adachi don't really play things fair,
as we have in the soccer club vs baseball fan game ended with Kine getting the out without throwing to Hiro and here the umpire cheats to the home team and we have an even worse pitcher comming.
tPQ7sVF.jpg
8Hg1uQ3.jpg

Best plan ever.

Nafe

I have another shared-birthday nakama! Hell yeah.

Happy Birthday Thoraxes.

Two. Today is my b-day as well :)

Happy Birthday as well.

My birthday was two days ago.

Belated Happy Birthday to you too.

Can't beat this right now,haha. Pretty good.

I'd hold that against you more than how you misled Oreki!

tumblr_me0s0uj5bg1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

This isn't a funny joke, Nafe.

Ping Pong taught me heroes exist. Now I know villains do too.

I have a friend that loved the GameBoy Lufia but I didn't get to play it.

I haven't played it yet either but would like to.

Shocking Alberto did post here that one time.

I don't know who that is,haha.

Narag

satoshi talking about how strong chitanda must be to lift mayaka

can only think about the fat mayaka stuff from in here

feels bad

Clov

Just got caught up on all the anime I'm following. That ending to Ping Pong was fantastic; easily my second favorite Yuasa work. He couldn't have ended it in a better way. Wixoss's ending was... surprising, to say the least. The title of the new season sounds like it's from a grocery store. Nanana's ending was... pretty uninteresting. The episode barely had any of Daruku in it, too.

On another note, my Flowers of Evil Blu-Ray came in. Rewatched my favorite episode (7); video quality is fine as far as I can tell. Still as creepy and atmospheric as I remember it being.

Clov

So The Wind Rises... Anno or JGL?

Haven't seen Anno's performance, but found JGL to be incredibly flat. He spoke in the same bored tone throughout the film. Learn to emote at least a little bit!

Werner Hertzog had the best performance in the dub, I thought.

NeonZ

Personally, I loved TTGL's ending and would not have it any other way. But that's just me.

I just think Nia should have
died right after the final battle. If they didn't have enough time for an extended epilogue, that'd have been better than giving the impression that Simon didn't do anything to save her. Or alternatively, make an extended epilogue where the viewer can follow the inevitability of her death, and Simon accepting it. They could also go into the consequence of attempting to use Spiral power to keep her alive.

As it stands, I don't think her death works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom