• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

I didn't really have a problem with Anno in TWR, but I haven't seen the dub version either. Are there any sample clips online that I can compare to?

Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin 11
Looks like shit will hit the fan next week based on the preview. Speaking of which, MAL said this would end at 11 and it obviously didn't (and it would've been weird if it did). Was it originally supposed to or something? Regardless, I really like this one a lot so I'll enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Wait, it's not over? But there were credits and everything.

Hattori

Banned
Jojo 15
What an entertaining episode. Joseph is such a cheeky and funny fellow, he's closely reaching Gintoki-tier in my book.

Link Man

Banned
Happy Birthday to everybody who is celebrating!

Everytime I remind myself about how masterful Hyouka is I have hope about anime being saved.

And then I remember this

Ug7nV2b.gif

*cocks gun*

FUCK THE PAIN AWAY

*inserts in mouth*

FUH HE HAI AWAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNpMiT5qpyI

mankoto

Wait, it's not over? But there were credits and everything.
Then what was that after the credits? Maybe I'm just confused and it's like how S1 of Jojo ended with a second of part 3

Edit:
Admittingly I skipped the credits and went to the end slate. Yeah I don't know after looking at the credits.

Thoraxes

Happy Birthday to everybody who is celebrating!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNpMiT5qpyI

WOOP WOOP
I must be desensitized because it seems really friggin civil to me. I guess it's just refreshing to see an anime OT thread that doesn't have posters accusing others of being pedophiles.

Just the sheer amount of hyperbole (among the few good posters in there that elaborate) in there is enough to scare me away from even trying to discuss with anyone in there.

Narag

I must be desensitized because it seems really friggin civil to me. I guess it's just refreshing to see an anime OT thread that doesn't have posters accusing others of being pedophiles.

Threads like that (in general) always seem to work on a curve, peaking at max stupidity and civli discussions no one remembers happening on the back end.

Dead

well not really...yet
That reminds me I want to watch Hyouka, was hoping to watch some animu on my new Surface Pro 3 tomorrow among other things. Is it streaming anywhere officially? I noticed its not on CR...

Mendrox

Selector Infected WIXOSS 11
now to the Battle City Tournament Arc. Will Ruri win enough to become the king of games an eternal girl and get her wish granted. Does she defeat her friends to end this game of madness and then go on defeat the organizer of the tournament? Probably but it won't be revealed until the next episode

Lol I wanna see your face after episode 12 :)
Best anime this season for sure.

Kanon 18

Uguu x2
UPM 0.3

This is by far my favorite episode so far. The awkwardness at the party contrasted with Yuuichi and porter-kun's dance was great. The sisters finally resolve their issues with one another and Yuuichi
finally gets a kiss.
Shiori's account of her depression was really well done and I felt I could relate to her in some way. However,
the way she tells Yuuichi to stay there and then vanishes was not cool. If you're going to leave just say so.

Someone had to say it, thank you porter-kun.
This guy is criminally underused. I wish there was more of him.

cajunator

Banned
We really do get the shows that we, as a fandom, deserve.

If anyone ever asks you if you like anime, just say no.

edit: happpy birthday Thoraxes/R_Thanatos/Syrinx!

I always admit to loving anime. It has had positive effects on my life.

I loved those

I still don't know what Pablo Power is.

Some studio that only has the talent to draw backgrounds

Rhapsody

Banned
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Endless Eight VIII) S2 9

I DID IT!!!! I FUCKING DID IT!!! Thank goodness!!!! It's finally over!!!

Haruhi's reaction to the picture above was amazing.

Congrats. Rest of the season is ok. Just hurry up and get to Disappearance movie.

Kanon 19

Uguu x2
UPM 0.1

Well Shiori just kind of drops off the face of the earth and gets one brief mention that she is okay. His cousin also hinted that she may have been interested in him when they were children (I know she is a route in the VN, I hope they don't go there in the anime).

A lot of flashbacks during this episode between Ayu and Yuuichi. They both seem to be remembering their childhood together as they spend more time with each other. Ayu finally makes a move on Yuuichi and now the harem ends (maybe?).

Jarmel

Banned
New Dominion Tank Police-1
Bonaparte's back and he means business. So seems like the show got an overhaul compared to regular Dominion Tank Police. Different art style, different character designs, music sounds better despite same composer, and the tone is more serious. Wow, so I expected some changes but yea this really does feel like a better version of the previous series of OVAs.
So first things first; they changed the design of my waifu, Not-Noa, to something more 80's-ish. That's kinda surprising considering this came out in the 90's and the original series came out in the 80's. Still Leona in her combat uniform reminds me of the hairband hairstyle exercise stuff from way back when. She looks wilder and really different compared to her older design which as you can tell from my jokes, reminded me of Noa Izumi's design in the Patlabor TV series. She definitely looks more fierce and there is more of an emphasis on her canines giver her a bestial appearance at times. Tom Sellick and the other characters look the same for the most part.
One area that seemingly got a boost is the background art. There were some good shots in the prior OVA series but it's sort of taken to a different level in this. The background art also helps with the atmosphere, which is much more consistent here than in regular Dominion.
ij7HEAKQ2vrnV.jpg

Hey look, a Tachikoma.
So the story here is somewhat darker than the stuff in Dominion but it actually fits for the most part as the show isn't as 'jokey' as Dominion and it's not as meandering as the later shit in Dominion. The comedy is more toned down compared to Dominion and due to that, the dramatic elements mesh better, so far anyway.
The biggest area of improvement for me though was the OST. The original was fine in a midi sort of way but here we get full electric guitar riffs which are prominent through the episode and Flight of the Valkyries thrown in. The OST has a much stronger presence here compared to Dominion. I also vastly like the new OP over the old one in Dominion.
http://a.pomf.se/pzeytm.webm
So this episode seems slightly better animated than the stuff in Dominion but in a different sort of way. Dominion had these longer sakuga cuts but here it feels like the episode as a whole is just better animated. Some of the tank movements are smoother and more detailed. There is a bigger element of strategy in the tank battle stuff compared to fighting in Dominion.
http://a.pomf.se/brlcva.webm
All in all, I'm liking it so far as it seems to be a tighter and more detailed version of the original OVA series.

holysan

Is the show bad or something? Because I kind of want to watch it.
Oh I wouldn’t call it bad, it just bored me. A lot of people like it for its healing atmosphere and otherwise it’s your usual cute girls doing cute things comedy, so if you generally enjoy those, you'll probably like this as well.

Theonik

Think part of the tone shift is because it leads directly into the manga which isn't quite as goofy as the show is at the beginning.
It was super bad. I actually agree with Jarmel.

This isn't a funny joke, Nafe.
Don't worry Nafe is Korbo. She could never betray us like this!

So cute. Those pictures don't really make it seem like a hentai though.
These pictures are censored.

...yeah, not a lot to see here. The first of three Robot Girls Z volumes barely manages to break the 1,000 mark.
I'm one of the chosen 1000.

Ping Pong

AOTS, possible AOTY
(though I loved the Mushishi OVA, it's a contender)

Now that it has finished, I have to say that there is a flaw in the series imo, and it's how Peco super talent seemed appear out of left field from the viewer's pov. His talent reappeared and powered up when he was training in the athletics center as that part was mostly skipped, they just jumping to the tourney when we saw the results, that also didn't help to understand the change of skill in the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom