• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
So how is the manga? I remember reading the first chapter a long time ago and thought interesting. Never read anything after it though as I never saw chapter 2 go up anywhere within a month or two. Had no idea what the release schedule was like.

How do you feel about dogs? The early part of the manga is 2edgy4u taken to absurd lengths.

Clov

Welcome to the NHK is worthy of ownership. REALLLLLY good series.
My favorite anime is Haibane Renmei. I dont think anyone can call it shit.

Welcome to the NHK really was great! It's one of the few really good things that Gonzo put out, I think.

Yeah, I think it's pretty easy to disregard anyone who calls Haibane Renmei shit. It's great. I only need one more DVD volume of it to have them all!

Unlike you, I'm more vulnerable to criticism. I have two favorite anime, The Tatami Galaxy and Lucky Star. They're very different from each other, and I'm sure one will get me more criticized than the other, but I love them very much. Oh well!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Tatami Galaxy has some flaws and a narrative structure that demands more investment from the viewer, but it remains impressive overall. At the very least, it has a great ED.

Welcome to the NHK really was great! It's one of the few really good things that Gonzo put out, I think.

Yeah, I think it's pretty easy to disregard anyone who calls Haibane Renmei shit. It's great. I only need one more DVD volume of it to have them all!

Unlike you, I'm more vulnerable to criticism. I have two favorite anime, The Tatami Galaxy and Lucky Star. They're very different from each other, and I'm sure one will get me more criticized than the other, but I love them very much. Oh well!

Good luck trying to find that last volume of NHK, especially if that happens to be volume six.

Hagi

So ufotable's Witch Sisters Yoyo and Nene is coming out next week. Anybody see it?

Saw it during Scotland Loves Anime and really enjoyed it. It's a lot of fun and the some of the scenes struck a chord. As per usual with Ufotable it is quite a looker.

Apart from Jojo and Ping Pong i'm not really into this season but i picked up No Game No Kill and it's surprisingly fun.

Clov

Good luck trying to find that last volume of NHK, especially if that happens to be volume six.

Ah, you misunderstand; I only need one more volume of Haibane Renmei. I think it's volume 2 that I need; the DVDs are at my GFs apartment, so I need to double check. For NHK, I'll just get the SAVE edition eventually.

Ah, you misunderstand; I only need one more volume of Haibane Renmei. I think it's volume 2 that I need; the DVDs are at my GFs apartment, so I need to double check. For NHK, I'll just get the SAVE edition eventually.

Oh, well that's probably a good thing you don't need the single-sets for NHK. If it is indeed volume two of Haibane Renmei it appears you can get that for quite a reasonable price at Amazon new or used. There's also FUNimation's release to fall back on if you need to replace the entire set.

Clov

I like Lucky Star as well, it's one of my "watch in the background while doing something else" anime.

Yeah, it's pretty great for that. It's a really relaxing series, I find. I still love just watching it though; each time I rewatch it, I catch onto more references I didn't get the last time!

Oh, well that's probably a good thing you don't need the single-sets for NHK. If it is indeed volume two of Haibane Renmei it appears you can get that for quite a reasonable price at Amazon new or used. There's also FUNimation's release to fall back on if you need to replace the entire set.

That's pretty good! I'm going to another con in July, so I'm going to see if I can find it there first. On a similar note, know where I can get volume 6 of Lucky Star? I've been able to find the OVA for a reasonable price easily, but that last volume of the TV series still eludes me. I really should have gotten it while it was still in print!

So how is the manga? I remember reading the first chapter a long time ago and thought interesting. Never read anything after it though as I never saw chapter 2 go up anywhere within a month or two. Had no idea what the release schedule was like.

Will try this show if it gets on CR

speaking of CR have they announced what summer shows they have yet?

It's a super dark and edgy battle shounen with despicable villains and pretty well-done fights

I like it a lot, even if some may see the dark shit that goes on as purely for shock value.

duckroll

So ufotable's Witch Sisters Yoyo and Nene is coming out next week. Anybody see it?

Yeah I watched it in the cinemas. There's really nice animation and art design, the story is a bit muddled in terms of what it wants the tone to be, but I enjoyed it overall. It's unique and tries to be different, but doesn't succeed at everything it does. Worth a watch.

cajunator

Banned

I dont think theres shame in liking anything really. People can even enjoy SAO. I wont hold back on blasting that show though heehee.

Usagi Drop 08

e8TigRN.jpg

I know that feeling :p

An obon visit. Don't think I've seen that before in anime. One of the sadder episodes so far. The bit after the credits was one of the funniest ones though.

That's pretty good! I'm going to another con in July, so I'm going to see if I can find it there first. On a similar note, know where I can get volume 6 of Lucky Star? I've been able to find the OVA for a reasonable price easily, but that last volume of the TV series still eludes me. I really should have gotten it while it was still in print!

You will just need to search around or maybe be lucky and find a lone volume out in the wild for Lucky Star V6. Amazon's marketplace prices start at $60 and only increase higher. I assume that lone volume of Haibane Renmei is at a somewhat reasonable price now simply because FUNimation has the series back in-print, which cannot be currently said for Lucky Star.

If you were ever interested in the original LN for NHK, shawnek (Right Stuf's Amazon storefront) still has at least one more copy available now and may likely have more in-stock later. It may not be the original MSRP, but that's the most affordable copy you can find. (http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-NHK-Novel-Tatsuhiko-Takimoto/dp/1427802564/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2PDSQIRFB9CIL) I always thought this was long OOP, so either Tokyopop had a large over-printing or somehow Right Stuf was just able to find a large sum of them. I was quite surprised my copy was even a first printing when I received it two years ago.

BluWacky

More watch bets should have opt out clauses. Ultimately, if you get somebody to try something new and they aren't liking it, there's no point in making them finish.

Isn't the point of most watch bets - specifically the ones that Corvo gets baited into - is to make them watch something they hate so they write vitriol about it?

Otherwise you'd simply recommend someone a show rather than forcing them to watch it...

Clov

You will just need to search around or maybe be lucky and find a lone volume out in the wild for Lucky Star V6. Amazon's marketplace prices start at $60 and only increase higher. I assume that lone volume of Haibane Renmei is at a somewhat reasonable price now simply because FUNimation has the series back in-print, which cannot be currently said for Lucky Star.

If you were ever interested in the original LN for NHK, shawnek (Right Stuf's Amazon storefront) still has at least one more copy available now and may likely have more in-stock later. It may not be the original MSRP, but that's the most affordable copy you can find. (http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-NHK-Novel-Tatsuhiko-Takimoto/dp/1427802564/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2PDSQIRFB9CIL) I always thought this was long OOP, so either Tokyopop had a large over-printing or somehow Right Stuf was just able to find a large sum of them. I was quite surprised my copy was even a first printing when I received it two years ago.

The worst thing when it comes to the Lucky Star volumes was that I actually found the complete collection DVDs for $50 at a con. That's really good for something so hard to find! But when I'm getting most of these DVDs for around $5 each, and I only need one more, it didn't seem as great of a deal. I'll have to keep looking. If the Blu-Rays somehow make it over here, I think I'd double-dip despite them being an upscale.

That's a pretty great find on the NHK novel, I didn't even know it made it over here! I might check it out later. It's always neat to find that you got the first printing or limited edition of something. When I got my Princess Jellyfish Blu-Ray set, my friend kept telling me it was going to be the standard edition since it was only $35 on Amazon. When it arrived, it in fact was the limited edition! When I looked into it later, I don't even think a standard edition was printed at all. Still was a nice surprise, though.

Hattori

Banned
Yeah, it's pretty great for that. It's a really relaxing series, I find. I still love just watching it though; each time I rewatch it, I catch onto more references I didn't get the last time!
Yup, pretty much. Minami-ke is another relaxing series I always come back to, you should check it out if haven't already.
I think you're underrating the importance of your avatar intimidating people.
It's not intimidating, I think it looks nice and sophisticated.

cajunator

Banned
Isn't the point of most watch bets - specifically the ones that Corvo gets baited into - is to make them watch something they hate so they write vitriol about it?

Otherwise you'd simply recommend someone a show rather than forcing them to watch it...

Thats true. Me and corvo had one where he was watching Kinos journey and I was watching gundam Build fighters and FMP. Needless to say that was an incredibly enjoyable experience for both sides of the bet.

Clov

Yup, pretty much. Minami-ke is another relaxing series I always come back to, you should check it out if haven't already.

I loved Minami-ke! Well, I loved most of it. Season 1 was definitely the best, and season 4 was pretty great too, I thought. Season 3 was alright, but I was not at all a fan of season 2. The animation was really bad in that one, and I felt it lost sight of what made the first season work so well.

Hopefully Minami-ke gets licensed. I have only imported the first season BD-box.

If anyone would pick it up, it would be either Sentai or NISA. It's been a while since any of its parts have aired, so I'm leaning towards NISA for this one if it does get picked up.

I loved Minami-ke! Well, I loved most of it. Season 1 was definitely the best, and season 4 was pretty great too, I thought. Season 3 was alright, but I was not at all a fan of season 2. The animation was really bad in that one, and I felt it lost sight of what made the first season work so well.

If anyone would pick it up, it would be either Sentai or NISA. It's been a while since any of its parts have aired, so I'm leaning towards NISA for this one if it does get picked up.

I could see Right Stuf or maybe even Discotek getting it too.

Clov

I could see Right Stuf or maybe even Discotek getting it too.

I actually could see RightStuf picking that up! I hope it's not them though, since that lowers the chances of a Blu-Ray significantly. Discotek is a maybe, they have licensed some more recent stuff lately (like School Days, and Chi's Sweet Home). Between those two I'd rather Discotek get it, personally.

Soma

I used to hope that the point of watch bets is to get someone to try something they'd normally not try out and maybe appreciate why people enjoy it.

I guess that's probably a naive thought now. :(

I used to hope that the point of watch bets is to get someone to try something they'd normally not try out and maybe appreciate why people enjoy it.

Ah that's not entirely true. I'm making Woofington watch Black Jack in exchange for me watching Baccano! and GTO.

Yeah Black Jack has its down points here and there (it's purely episodic) but it has quite a lot of really freaking good episodes in there in return.

The watchbets I make is all wrong I guess. I want people to watch things I've enjoyed and hope they enjoy it too.

I own all three of those shows. Is that a bad thing or something?

I own all three as well. Even own multiple versions of Kanon and Clannad :p

Clov

I'll get Clannad on Blu-Ray at some point for the animation alone. It's a great looking show. As for Kanon, I'm not going to settle for a DVD of that one. Blu-Ray or nothing!
I'll probably have to import it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom