• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hattori

Banned
2z7AE0X.jpg

Just saw the trailer for the new Sailor Moon anime on hulu. I think I may actually prefer the original animes artwork to the new stuff that's closer to the manga. Everyone had that beanpole look going on :x

I don't really get the light hearted vibes from this either that the original anime had. I hope I'm proven wrong but I have a feel I'm not going to like it.

sonicmj1

Life and Hearthstone getting in the way of backlog season.

Spice and Wolf 10

The tables turn on Lawrence.

The closing minutes of this episode were tough to watch. We can see Lawrence's desperation and frustration in how he alienates Holo, how he won't let her help him as he fails and fails and fails again. He's so caught up in blaming himself, or blaming her, that he can't look clearly for a way out.

For two characters that had grown so close, it hurts to see them divided like this. I wonder how they'll turn the tables, and how the shepherd will come back into the story.

Kino's Journey 10

A really melancholy episode, as this series tends to be. I'm not sure how to talk about it.

iU1hTuZreYHL3.jpg

The sound design was really effective in this scene. Oof.

I guess the episode shows how people (or mechanical dolls) can find mutual happiness in making others happy. So who does Kino live for?

It was weird that she seemed surprised by the family's suicide. What did she think was going to happen?

Syrinx

Just saw the trailer for the new Sailor Moon anime on hulu. I think I may actually prefer the original animes artwork to the new stuff that's closer to the manga. Everyone had that beanpole look going on :x

I don't really get the light hearted vibes from this either that the original anime had. I hope I'm proven wrong but I have a feel I'm not going to like it.

It is going to be based more on the manga than the original series, which likely means a more somber tone and less light-hearted antics throughout. It could be good but putting it up against the original series may lead to disappointment.

Mature

The difference is that NINJA SLAYER doesn't takes itself seriously... like at all! I would be posting extracts for those that haven't read yet the chapters available on-line, but there are so much nuggets of literary wisdom that I would hit the character limit of the post in a moment. Check them, pretty please:

NOVEL | NINJA SLAYER | Tokyo Otaku Mode
http://otakumode.com/sp/ninjaslayer/novel/mov/chapter1

This adaptation on the right hands of the same GEEKS group that helped to establish TRIGGER Inc., could be SPECTACULAR!
Thanks for the insight. I wont go into it as jaded now.

Quasar

Yup, pretty much. Minami-ke is another relaxing series I always come back to, you should check it out if haven't already.

I love it. The closest we have to a family sitcom in anime. And one of the few anime comedies that really works for me. Most of the time japan and subtitles are barriers for comedies really working for me as comedies. Minami-ke overcomes those somehow.

Jex

I have the last tag that Hito ever gave anyone, which makes it a valuable collector's item. I'll be able to sell my GAF account and retire on the money in a few years.

Most professional advisors recommend a diverse tag-based portfolio for maximum security.

It is going to be based more on the manga than the original series, which likely means a more somber tone and less light-hearted antics throughout. It could be good but putting it up against the original series may lead to disappointment.

Which is why I'm worried. I don't think I can stop my mind between making the distinction of my memories of Sailor Moon on toonami and what they're about to give us. The comparisons will just keep coming up. I'm already not a fan of the artwork thus far.

The same kind of thing happened during the Transformers movies. Bubble bee is not a fucking Chevy Camaro he's a VW Beetle.

cnet128

Banned
Akuma no Riddle 12 END

I like to think Tokaku's answer at the end there was "The world is filled with
miracles
", because
holy shit deus ex machina as fuck EVEN ROMEO AND JULIET ARE ALIVE. ULTRA HAPPY END.

For some reason it doesn't feel particularly out of place or wrong in this series, though, perhaps because the organisation behind the game has always been portrayed as having technology and influence bordering on the supernatural, otherwise the whole wish-granting thing wouldn't hold such absolute status in the first place. It feels almost realistic that such a near-omnipotent organisation would have both the means and the inclination to heal up a few fatally-injured victims, just for the sake of "cleaning up after itself", as it were.

I think I like this ending.

Not really. They have a couple of free episodes with ads for nonmembers.

Figured there would still be limited access for non-members. Guess I will continue watching simulcasts on Hulu a week later or wait for the home video release.

Well...it appears the server is unavailable. So much for even checking what is actually available to non-members. I would assume the first two to four episodes of a series depending on how many seasons the show premiered for.

Future Card Buddyfight Episode 24 (engDub)
BqnGvv_CYAA8utd.png

Back after one week and it was even better than ever. The Soleil Dragon Deck versus the mysterious Dungeon World gave the most intense match, I think it had the most turns thus far as well as the most suspense due to that Mimic With a Prize. Its at the same level of Cardfight!! Vanguard fights now.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Akuma no Riddle 12 END

miracles
", because
holy shit deus ex machina as fuck EVEN ROMEO AND JULIET ARE ALIVE. ULTRA HAPPY END.

For some reason it doesn't feel particularly out of place or wrong in this series, though, perhaps because the organisation behind the game has always been portrayed as having technology and influence bordering on the supernatural, otherwise the whole wish-granting thing wouldn't hold such absolute status in the first place. It feels almost realistic that such a near-omnipotent organisation would have both the means and the inclination to heal up a few fatally-injured victims, just for the sake of "cleaning up after itself", as it were.

I stand by my eailier bead of hatred, this was approaching MAI HIME levels of awful!

Kanon 24 FINAL

Uguu x 2
UPM 0.6

This was more the wrap up episode than finale. (The previous episode's title was finale) Everyone is going back to their daily lives, the senpais graduate and Yuuichi
discovers Ayu is alive and has been in a coma for the last seven years.
Yuuichi and his friends visit Ayu and take care of her. I have to wonder
what everyone was thinking when Ayu's ghost was living with Yuuichi and Nayuki.
I understand now why the ED is animated with Ayu running.
It symbolizes her desire to be able to move again and play with the others.

Series Review:
Total Uguu: 100 (disclaimer: I may have miscounted. I also counted any time Uguu~ was subtitled, including when Yuuichi says it)

Overall, I enjoyed my time with Kanon. If I had to choose which Key's anime is my favorite, it would still go to Clannad AS with Kanon being second or third. It was a little rough at the start and I didn't find the characters as interesting in Kanon as I did Clannad but Shiori's and Ayu's arcs were very enjoyable.

Overall I would give it 3.5 Uguu~ out of 5.

Kanon 24 FINAL

Overall, I enjoyed my time with Kanon. If I had to choose which Key's anime is my favorite, it would still go to Clannad AS with Kanon being second or third. It was a little rough at the start and I didn't find the characters as interesting in Kanon as I did Clannad but Shiori's and Ayu's arcs were very enjoyable.

Overall I would give it 3.5 Uguu~ out of 5.

Hey. That's good enough for me :p

Hm... Third? What's the second best then?

cnet128

Banned
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 12 END

Okay, it's official. I've decided. Ricchan is THE angel of the season. Nobody can compare. Not even Nacchan from Baby Steps. Ricchan is just transcendentally best. I don't even know who I'd choose if I had to measure her up against Onodera any more. The thought makes my brain explode.

...She is also
incredibly cute drunk

I don't want this show to end. I don't know when it happened, and I really didn't expect it, but it's crept up on me and become one of my absolute favourites of this season. I just love the whole mood, the characters play off each other perfectly with just the right mixture of quirky humour, playful antagonism and genuine warmth, the OP is wonderful and perfect, the ED also fits great, and did I mention Ricchan is a GODDAMN ANGEL.

Second season when.

Articalys

Another bustling day full of activity, huh.

Stardust Crusaders ep.12

Easily the weirdest/creepiest fight yet.

Mushishi S2 ep.10

Turtle mountain gods
can be a crafty bunch, huh.
And we're back on break until the fall.

Quasar

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 12 END

Okay, it's official. I've decided. Ricchan is THE angel of the season. Nobody can compare. Not even Nacchan from Baby Steps. Ricchan is just transcendentally best. I don't even know who I'd choose if I had to measure her up against Onodera any more. The thought makes my brain explode.

Bold claim.

Syrinx

Non Non Biyori 12

That scene with Renge and Komari/Natsumi's brother just staring at each other for the longest time was hilariously awkward.

There's a season 2 coming, right?

Akuma no Riddle 12 END

miracles
", because

I like this ending too , it's just that with every characters , there are some legitimate escuses you can find except
Our romeo & juliet duo
.. they don't even try to explain this shit , because they know they can't explain it.
Out of the implied dead , the only one that raise my eyebrow is cyborg girl, but given how she is built ( or should i say (rebuilt)) it's not much of a stretch to make her come back ... When you have an adamantium rib for haru , i can accept anything at this point !
I stand by my eailier bead of hatred, this was approaching MAI HIME levels of awful!
Mai-hime was a straight MAGICAL RESET that you could somhow feel coming given how the second part tone shifted ..but akuma no riddle is kinda hard to see coming.

cnet128

Banned
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 12

Ahahahaha, Joseph gets the most utterly ridiculous fights in Part 3. But he's still got his old touch of genius!

So much fun. Poor Polnareff. lol.

EDIT: Oh, and this seems as good a time as any to mention that I'm over the fucking moon that Stardust Crusaders is confirmed to run for a full year and cover every last detail of the manga. Best possible news (well, short of them announcing that they're going to start Part 4 as soon as it's over xp)

cajunator

Banned
Life and Hearthstone getting in the way of backlog season.

Spice and Wolf 10

The tables turn on Lawrence.

The closing minutes of this episode were tough to watch. We can see Lawrence's desperation and frustration in how he alienates Holo, how he won't let her help him as he fails and fails and fails again. He's so caught up in blaming himself, or blaming her, that he can't look clearly for a way out.

For two characters that had grown so close, it hurts to see them divided like this. I wonder how they'll turn the tables, and how the shepherd will come back into the story.

Kino's Journey 10

A really melancholy episode, as this series tends to be. I'm not sure how to talk about it.

I guess the episode shows how people (or mechanical dolls) can find mutual happiness in making others happy. So who does Kino live for?

It was weird that she seemed surprised by the family's suicide. What did she think was going to happen?

Its such a beautiful series. I honestly dont want to spoil a thing so keep watching.

Akuma no Riddle 12
All that dramatic buildup
for a happy go lucky ending. Seriously how did they all survive. The :SDburton couple looked pretty dead in their episode

madp

The Light of El Cantare
With Hito incapacitated for a small period of time, I'll have to take the crown of King Mofu.

Hito's given me his blessing to do the Summer OT in his stead since he's incapacitated and Regulus is AWOL. I will shoulder this sad duty to the best of my ability and pimp it out with Crystal stuff as much as I think he would have :(

Jarmel

Banned
Hito's given me his blessing to do the Summer OT in his stead since he's incapacitated and Regulus is AWOL. I will shoulder this sad duty to the best of my ability and pimp it out with Crystal stuff as much as I think he would have :(

Are you guys actually excited about Crystal in the normal manner or in the DOA 'Firehawk watching SAO2' manner?

Syrinx

I thought we really weren't doing seasonal OTs anymore. Don't we need to wait until this thread fills up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom