• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Hito's given me his blessing to do the Summer OT in his stead since he's incapacitated and Regulus is AWOL. I will shoulder this sad duty to the best of my ability and pimp it out with Crystal stuff as much as I think he would have :(

Title should be Sailor Moon Crystal 2014 |OT| I think there's probably other anime airing this season too.

Jarmel

Banned
New Dominion Tank Police 2-
iHOY1z2wUPxTS.jpg
So again this felt darker than the previous Dominion but it somewhat works. This was an episode focused mainly around Leona, and it gives little bits of her recent past. There also seems to be hints that the show is leading towards some sort of larger conspiracy angle. The primary villain in this episode sounded like Norio Wakamoto to the point that I had to look him up to confirm that it wasn't Wakamoto.
I've really liked Leona's animations this series as she feels a lot more dynamic (and insane essentially). She's also much more short tempered so far.
The Puma twins got downgraded. :( There's also no sign of their boss, Buaku, which is good. The villains so far seem more conspiracy oriented compared to Buaku who was much more straight forward. People are also dying in this series, while this happened in the original series it was more comical except for the shooting up of the scientists in Buaku's flashback.
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/67fa7cd80f8c6c50b020195e0d0b37a8.webm
This actually felt like a rape scene. Then there's a brainwashing bit that seemed to come straight out of The Empire Strikes Back with that elaborate torture machine.
ibs5PRUR0tsdVi.jpg

Tom Sellick rescuing the day again. Don't fuck with revolvers.
So there again wasn't any real setpieces animation-wise but there were some smaller moments that I liked on the animation front. I also want to say the character animation as a whole has increased compared to Dominion. I did have a bit of an issue with the OST this episode in that sometimes it felt way too happy and the transitions music-wise were a bit jarring. The composition of the pieces themselves are pretty good though, it was just the placement.
There was again some good background art and some solid directing work during the quieter moments in this episode.

Oh and a shot for whoever likes ass:
That assistant is hot as hell.

cnet128

Banned
Mushishi Zoku-shou 10 END (sort of. for now.)

A very meditative and calm episode. A pleasant experience in which one can simply allow the Mushishi world to wash over oneself and feel its essence close at hand. Didn't really feel like the end of a season, but that's because it wasn't really. I look forward to watching the actual season finisher at a later date.

That tortoise did a damn fine job at protecting its mountain. Good job, tortoise.

Soma

I just realized Hito was one of the main #TeamMercury guys on here.

Guess the rest of us have to pick up the slack in his absence.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm not sure I gather what exactly you mean by the "format".

Sounds like hes got beef with monster of the week shows or something.

I never got around to watching any SM past the original season. I guess at this point I might as well just watch Crystal by itself because I'll get confused jumping back and forth

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Bi-weekly online format doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I also remember some people complaining about the staff.

Oh, I thought you were referring to fans of the original. Sure, we're all concerned given Toei's track record and especially due to the recent precipitous decline in Happiness Charge Precure's quality, but I'm not aware of anyone who plans to watch Crystal with the expressed expectation of it being terrible/hatewatch material/etc.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 12
looks like he finally got senpai to notice him. Ricchan was pretty cute when she was avoiding the question while drunk. Mayumi was putting a fun spin on things yet again.

Narag

No Game No LIfe 1

Aside from the "beautiful thing" in this ep, seemed like a really solid start. Palette feels a lot less garish in execution than what various screens conveyed as well.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
obv resources redirected to crystal!!

Toei has a high number of series airing concurrently:

Happiness Charge Precure
Matsutarou
Kindaichi R
One Piece
Disc Wars Avengers
Majin Bone
DBZ Kai Buu Saga

Sure, a couple of these aren't full productions, but their resources are already spread thin and they're only going to get thinner with Crystal. Munehisa Sakai is a talented director, but so was Tatsuya Nagamine and even he couldn't save Happiness Charge when Toei starved him of ADs and outsourced every episode to Toei Philippines and Toei North Korea. I want to be surprised, but even with the more relaxed broadcast schedule for Crystal there's real cause for concern.

jgminto

Since the season is about to come to a close I thought I'd set out my watch list.

WATCHING
DRAMAtical Murder - I have one concern for the DMMD adaptation. That concern is that it won't be gay enough. I'm worried that they're going to chicken out and remove the romance from whatever route they have chosen. Removing some of the lewdness I can deal with, they probably can't show two dudes straight up fukkin on TV, but if they removed the romance that would be a mistake and a huge insult to the fans. I don't really have any evidence that they'd do this though, just a feeling. Other than that, the story of the VN was a surprisingly good cyberpunk adventure with a really unique design. It also had fantastic music. As far as the route I'd like to see adapted, Good Clear/Noiz/True routes would be my choice. I couldn't deal with the bad ends if they went for that, would be too painful for my heart.

Bakumatsu Rock - A Samurai rock band that strips as they play? All I need to hear.

Free! Eternal Summer - Please don't screw this up again, Kyoani. The first half of Season 1 was so good but then they had to ruin it with Rin's dumb garbage drama. He doesn't seem like a total douchebag any more so as long as the drama is kept in check I'll be cautiously optimistic. Would still watch for Rei and Nagisa even with dumb drama anyway.

Space Dandy 2 - That second half of last season was soooo good. More of that please!

Tokyo Ghoul - I don't really know much about the source but the trailer from a few months ago sold me on it. I mean, how can you say no to that smile?

CHECKING OUT
Terror in Resonance - I feel like this is either going to be amazing or absolutely insufferable shit. The main characters sound less likeable than Light Yagami so I hope they portray them as such and not as some bullshit anti-heroes or something.

Love Stage!! - The main love interest is hideous and I'm not a huge fan of how they seem to be portraying the main character as "girl-like" but I feel like I need to at least give it a shot for having a possible gay relationship. It's not super common so it's nice to see.

Ao Haru Ride - It's been a while since I've watched a shoujo romance show, the last was "Say I Love You". It's going to be difficult to stack up against that wonderful show but I'll give it a shot.

RAIL WARS! - Needs less balloon tits and more multi-track drifting for it to be something I'd want to continue watching but I'll give it a shot for the dumb concept.

Shounen Hollywood - Looks pretty boring but there's a few cute boys in the cast so I'll give it a chance.

Sailor Moon: Crystal - I'm not a huge fan of the style but I enjoyed what I watched of the original when I was young. If it disappoints I might just watch the original!

HATE WATCH
Sword Art Online II - Fuck my life...

Articalys

Chronus (Anime Mirai 2014)

It was okay. Somewhat by-the-books story, but the music was nice and there were some good bits of animation in there as well.

Since the season is about to come to a close I thought I'd set out my watch list.

WATCHING
DRAMAtical Murder - I have one concern for the DMMD adaptation. That concern is that it won't be gay enough. I'm worried that they're going to chicken out and remove the romance from whatever route they have chosen. Removing some of the lewdness I can deal with, they probably can't show two dudes straight up fukkin on TV, but if they removed the romance that would be a mistake and a huge insult to the fans. I don't really have any evidence that they'd do this though, just a feeling. Other than that, the story of the VN was a surprisingly good cyberpunk adventure with a really unique design. It also had fantastic music. As far as the route I'd like to see adapted, Good Clear/Noiz/True routes would be my choice. I couldn't deal with the bad ends if they went for that, would be too painful for my heart.
I heard that they actually will remove the romance, if this true, then that is really backwards and bigoted of them.

I am the only one that thinks DMMD's ost isn't great, I liked this, though.

jgminto

I heard that they actually will remove the romance, if this true, then that is really backwards and bigoted of them.

I am the only one that thinks DMMD's ost isn't great, I liked this, though.

Is there a source on that? I'd be super disappointed if true. And yeah I really like the general background music too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom