• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhapsody

Banned
One Week Friends 12

I liked the ending. Heartwarming scenes between the two pairs of MCs.
I didn't really mean aging when I asked how it held up; sometimes anime I liked when I was younger I don't like nearly as much now. That's all I meant, really; if impressions here are still positive, I'll probably like it again when I rewatch it. I should look into the Blu-Rays at some point.

Memories was still good. So much drama though. With all the complaining about drama I read on Anime GAF, I'm pretty sure a lot of people wouldn't like it if they watched it now.

The artistic style was cool but I think all of us are used to Shaft's style at this point.
Melodies doesn't hold up and some of the artistic direction felt like too much of a repeat from Memories.

Hyouka 4
Hyouka_ep_4.jpg
I love Oreki's thought process. It's very structured and detailed. Like everyone brought their own theories forward that they thought about for quite sometime. Oreki "accidentally"
stumbles by Chi's room and sees that she's been working hard and he says "guess I can think about this for a second". After a few minutes in the bathroom he completely blows everyone away with a theory he only thought about for a few minutes
. I like this show. It's a little slow but it's methodical and deliberate with what they are showing. I look forward to seeing if that's really "solved" this case.

Oh and the animation is still blowing me away. This is super pretty.

Seeing how you enjoy slower paced stuff, you might like Hyouka, but be warned the mystery stuff itself is quite mundane. I mean ridiculously simple dumb things. The show explores the characters and teir progression and thats the more interesting part of it, though the show doesnt really let them shine until the latter half of the series. The main fault I would put on this show is it presented potentially interesting characters with a mind numbing situation half the time and it didnt really give them much to do. The festival arc becomes a much more lively and intriguing part and thats where the show finally found its legs. Chitanda is a cute drunk and Misaki is best girl. Irisu is cool too. Mayaka is a dumb bitch.

You know me too well. I am liking it so far. Yeah I know the start was pretty simple things but that was really to establish these characters and their roles in this story.

Also at the end there, that escalated quickly. So I guess you don't like Mayaka?

phaze

Black Bullet 8

KuGsj.gif

Outside of that, a rather dull setup episode. The loli density has reached critical mass so I can jump the ship with no regrets now.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 06-08

"I have just cut you from the top of your head to your intestines but let me stop my sword for a minute and spend the next 60 seconds explaining the pros and cons of my strategy." Way to go JoJo. (Not that other characters are better in this regard.)

So long Dio, somehow I feel this is not the last I see of you.

I'm watching Accel World ep 7 in blu-ray right now

and holy shit at those Mahouka Ads !

I never realised when i was watching the show on Tv .

cajunator

Banned
Who needs reasons. One reason is enough:

ibi8WELPwGCJe8.gif

quoting for absolute justice

I'm proud to say that only 500 of those votes were mine!

You are so cute with your Kurumi obsession. Completely justifiable though.

I think it's something special to see someone just wallow in their nerdy insecurities. It just serves as a great counterpoint to the other end of the spectrum that we get with nerd shows.

Besides, it's not like we'll ever get more Aku no Hana anyway.

See, this is why she was good!

I wallow in my nerdiness but its because I accepted it and thrive with it. Its part of me and Im proud of who I am. Not to say I dont have confidence issues because of how I was brought up but thats another story. At work I am super-confident though even when making tough decisions where a lot of money is on the line.

That's racist!
I always wanted to say that.

I didn't mean that she should learn it from games. I'd had something like Kimi ni Todoke in mind, just with more nerdism instead just shyness. Friends that help her realizing how she can fit in without renounce her core, with maybe her helping them to realize the positive sides of pulchritudinous characters.

That damned word. I feel somebody just learned that word and wanted to show off in that thread.

That looks shopped.

Seriously who would wear those ugly headphones.

I love you man.

Madoka Magica 10

Dayum.

That's the piece of story that was missing then. Some great action parts and sad parts.

Yeah that was when the show went into HOLY SHIT territory. Incredible episode. Id put it up with the best.

Madoka Magica 12

Madoka finally finds something to wish for. And what a wish.

Great show. Quite the ride with lots of twists and turns. It gets dark at times and really sad too. It's the first 1 cour show I've watched that have managed to invoke such strong emotions of sadness. Interesting visuals with the monsters, and the music is fitting. Liked both the choral/classical sounding music and the more house/techno stuff. Oh, and that OP is such a lie. Haha.

I give it 4.5/5 soul gems:
aSxtOnR.png

Excellent. Now the first two movies are what you just watched all prettied up. The third movie is completely new and very controversial. Watch it!

Hanayamata PV

Visually the show looks like a cross between Nerawareta Gakuen and No Game No Life.

Ooooh I like this!

Did I miss a complete evisceration overnight of the entire LN market or something?

Not any more than usual.

There's only two decent light novel series. Log Horizon and Spice and Wolf. Everything else is laughably bad.

This is so incredibly wrong. Its at 1011 wrong street off of wrong boulevard in the neighborhood of wrong in wrongsville, Wrongland.

the word wrong just looks wrong.

Anyway, there's a new PV out for upcoming Fall season series Sora no Method:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ybgMqAHiU

Looks pretty nice visually, so as long as the story isn't terrible it should be something to watch. Fantastic song too.

FUWAFUWA HAIRRRRRRRR

Hello AnimeGAF. I'm still upset about that song :(

Sword Art Online - 10

Oh wow.

I don't think asking to stay in the same room with a girl at night and then taking her hand in marriage is a normal thing for the average gamer kid to do after, I dunno, KILLING somebody for the first time!

1403221581100.gif

The show basically didnt give a fuck anymore at this point. It was apparent the rollercoaster was in freefall.

The only good thing about Kokoro Connect is it had Miyukichi playing one of her best roles EVER.

INABAN DA GODDESS.

Easily her bestest role. God what an amazing voice and character and HNNNNNNGH.

I put the gems in the order the characters appeared so no bias. I liked all of them in the end.

You'd overload on cute if you marathoned Hidamari so no worries. ;)

Its not possible to overload on cute but marathoning Hidamari requires special training.

You know me too well. I am liking it so far. Yeah I know the start was pretty simple things but that was really to establish these characters and their roles in this story.

Also at the end there, that escalated quickly. So I guess you don't like Mayaka?

I REALLY cant stand Mayaka at all.

Rhapsody

Banned
Oh and the animation is still blowing me away. This is super pretty.

Fun fact, I think out of this series, one of the episodes is drawn by their Osaka team, Animation Do. You might be able to spot it out. The quality is still really good but the style on how they animate things is a little different.

cajunator

Banned
Today Im going to catch up with NGNL and chaika, watch some Black Bullet, and maybe start Brynhildr or Flag or Kawaisou. All of this will likely not happen given how ADHD I am but its a plan!

Rhapsody

Banned
Hello AnimeGAF. I'm still upset about that song :(

Sword Art Online - 10

Oh wow.

I don't think asking to stay in the same room with a girl at night and then taking her hand in marriage is a normal thing for the average gamer kid to do after, I dunno, KILLING somebody for the first time!
I mean, this is the point when he wanted to just give up to this world and wanted to run away from it all.
He didn't care about clearing the game anymore and leaving SAO.

I don't think this episode was rushed either , in fact they are going at the same pace pretty much every episode.
I won't argue that it can be boring for some. But that was 200% world building

the show is like 60% world building. does the ratio change later?

Is there ever any urgency? Like nothing so far seemed remotely like a threat at all to the protag.

Nobunaga The Fool Episode 24: Judgement [end]
tumblr_n7l5y3zcqC1qbxqfpo1_500.png

tumblr_n7l5y3zcqC1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Last Supper theme for the episode set up an interesting set of events to help keep the drama and suspense high. Da Vinci tying it into things worked well especially with the king aspect playing too.
Was mindblown at the reveal of Nobunaga and that which his purpose was. Kind of sad too even considering that he and the two that were his bethrohed ended up dying over this whole anime, actually everyone from the Oda line died it seemed :(

May definitely get it from Sentai when it releases next year. AXIS was the better song of the anime with the 2nd ED being good too. Didnt like Jam Project song much apart from the female vocalists part, just cant get into their songs still even after listening to it twelve times. I also wish we could get the card set for the anime too. 9/10.

Mokoi

Banned
JoJo BA Stardust 12
It was fun to see the little creature scream and be a little shit but ehh... another forgettable episode in this saga.

Mushishi S2 10

Slowest Mushishi episode ever... but you know what? It didn't bother me. It was just the appropriate direction for this episode, and being focused on Ginko and his little magical adventure instead of the usual was a nice change of pace. And they really know how to use the visuals, the sounds, the pauses, to forge something to remember (even when almost nothing really happened!).

Also, you're starting Girls Und Panzer? That's a fun anime too. The upcoming OVA shows one of the battles skipped during the series and it should be coming out soon. Add that on my to watch list for summer season.

Well... Don't think I'm ready for Strike Witches yet, so this will have to do for now ;P

Excellent. Now the first two movies are what you just watched all prettied up. The third movie is completely new and very controversial. Watch it!

Hehe. I'll get to it sometime, but not right now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Without spoiling anything what is there to know about Shinon in Sword Art Online 2 apart from she is the new girl and the PV likes to focus on her bottom?

the show is like 60% world building. does the ratio change later?

Is there ever any urgency? Like nothing so far seemed remotely like a threat at all to the protag.
Most of mahouka is world building , but this ratio will drop after this arc .
As for the urgency , this will be there but for other characters aside from the MC... Some pretty mean things will happen but i'm unsure if we'll get to see them this season

No threat to the protags . But everyone else will have some things to deal with at one point or another that will be threats.

He's pretty much the most OP protag in any of Dengeki Bunko. 2nd goes to To Aru protags.
Tatsuya ( without military limitations ) = Black winged Acccelerator + cane backup > Rest of dengeki protags.
You can't make a character more cheated that those 2 above.
but at least touma gets the shit beat out of him all the time. just needed to be glued together with the power of lolis and frog doctor.

Hey! sometimes there are mature females and busty blondes in the mix !

Pooya

Nobunaga The Fool Episode 24: Judgement [end]
tumblr_n7l5y3zcqC1qbxqfpo1_500.png

tumblr_n7l5y3zcqC1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Last Supper theme for the episode set up an interesting set of events to help keep the drama and suspense high. Da Vinci tying it into things worked well especially with the king aspect playing too.
Was mindblown at the reveal of Nobunaga and that which his purpose was. Kind of sad too even considering that he and the two that were his bethrohed ended up dying over this whole anime, actually everyone from the Oda line died it seemed :(

May definitely get it from Sentai when it releases next year. AXIS was the better song of the anime with the 2nd ED being good too. Didnt like Jam Project song much apart from the female vocalists part, just cant get into their songs still even after listening to it twelve times. I also wish we could get the card set for the anime too. 9/10.

sounds like this ended up kinda good, lolol.

Without spoiling anything what is there to know about Shinon in Sword Art Online 2 apart from she is the new girl and the PV likes to focus on her bottom?

Without spoiling ?
Shion is playing a VR mmo based on guns and she use a very rare LONG RANGE SNIPER.
Competent fighter that is well served in hit & run tactics as well as simple traps.
No boyfriend, just a IRL friend that she look up to .

That's the best i can tell you without spoiling anything regarding to the plot.

Her real name is Asada Shino (朝田 詩乃, Asada Shino). She is nicknamed Hecate in Gun GAle Online ( name of the game ) , after her gun «PGM Ultima Ratio Hecate II», a rare .50 caliber anti-materiel sniper rifle.
She is 16

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka 5 - Ice Cream

Wow.... way to go Oreki.

Why would you tell that to a little girl? That's actually horrifying. Chitanda was
happy to learn the truth
and that's all that matters. I guess I know what Hyouka means now...

Indeed thats what the title means. One of the few early episodes I liked.

well I have the anime thats the best I can do.

I trust your judgement!

Midonin

Long post incoming.

Nanana's Buried Treasure 11 + Final Thoughts

As the last noitaminA series I'll be watching for a while, it was a good note to go out on. Adventure-romance-mystery is a good mix, and this struck a good tone, a sort of Indiana Jones meets Natsu no Arashi feeling. The girls were cute (Tensai's the best) and the various dungeons were creative. While noitaminA animating a light novel was a bit odd for them, it also played a factor in attracting me to the series. Things got a bit tough to keep track of around the middle of the series, but they evened out around the end. All the various video games Nanana was playing were nice Easter eggs, and I liked both the OP (this girl group's sound is pretty cool) and the ED (Whoo! Sphere!). Not my favorite series of the season, but I was looking forward to it every week. Again, mostly for Tensai. But
that ending. Such a tease, hinting at material that may never be animated. But that's the name of the game.

selector infected WIXOSS 12 + First Half Final Thoughts

The split cour thing was true after all! Hooray! I know people have had select words about Okada's writing hangups, but I thought WIXOSS was one of the most consistently interesting shows of the season. The card game wasn't as prominent as the Battle Spirits or the Buddyfights of the world, but this is for an older audience, and it knew what people were here for. The characters. The drama didn't necessarily rely on shock value (Yuzuki's subplot is basically standard in anime, and I don't feel a need to mock it. Doing so is kinda stale, really.), and I found it constantly engaging. The atmosphere was well done, and the characters were complex enough. The little girl who only appeared in one episode must have a larger role. And that ending...
trying to enact an Ultimate Madoka on everything and ending up with a Devil Homura by mistake.
I'm really looking forward to the second season - possibly more than Chaika. This kind of atmospheric darkness (with cute girls) really appeals to me.

Riddle Story of Devil 12 + Final Thoughts

While InuNeko provided my dose of sweet yuri for the season, tragic yuri was here.
And that was a ridiculously happy ending. So the whole thing was really a game in the end? I'm not sure how I feel about that, but a show about assassins where everybody lives is a most unexpected of endings.
The formula the show took on didn't bother me, because establishing a formula is a way to cut down on figuring out the story and instead on figuring out the meat of the story, the little details. The invidual assassins made decent enough impressions in their short times. My favorite ones were probably the two who performed in Shakespeare With More Death and the episode that involved figuring out the numbers. And the music, so much love for what this show did. A theme song by Maaya Uchida, for one. I wish her the best of luck in her solo career and hope she some day performs the theme for a show she's actually in, and any show that has a unique ending for every episode is going to get a few bonus points in my book. The last one in particular was pretty good. While the ending leaves me scratching my head a little, as far as yuri shows go and shows this season go, I was glad to be able to tune into this one. Haru and Tokaku's relationship development was adorable, the cast was colorful, everything pulled together into an entertaining show. In a summer movie blockbuster kind of way.

Daimidaler 12 + Final Thoughts

Daimidaler is the kind of mecha show I haven't seen in a long time. Lewd. Irreverent. Somewhat fourth wall breaky. My god, it was brilliant. One of the greatest shows of the season, and that's not even an exaggeration. Even blue humor has a certain style to it, and the sheer amount of ways Daimidaler found to get in dirty jokes, even in ways beyond the usual flashes of flesh (though there was certainly plenty of that, too) made it something special. All the best parts of High School DxD, but with giant robots. The Penguin Empire was lovable and goofy, almost as sympathetic as Sunred's Florsheim. Ritz was a tour de force for Aya Suzaki. And the scientists, Sewashiko especially, were a great trio of side characters. And the opening was one of the best of the season, a classic JAM Project-style number that hasn't been seen in some time. I genuinely enjoyed each episode and, since I've heard the manga gets a little gorey later on, am perfectly fine with it ending here. Lewdness is justice! Comedy is justice! Mecha can be more than just military! Daimidaler is the shot in the arm it needed.

Dragonar Academy 12 + Final Thoughts

The comparisons to Zero no Tsukaima and other series of its ilk are numerous, but I thought the series was overall solid. Competenet. The one outstanding fault was its overreliance on exposition and its invented terminology for rather basic concepts. It being an action-comedy-romance isn't a fault, that's just what kind of genre it is. Eco was kinda cute, and I liked all the other girls, too. Another ZnT comparison is the massive boobs on display. Yes, I consider this a plus. OP and ED were both alright, and the series did end on a note where it could concievably continue. All the plotlines wrapped up well enough for the first season. I didn't like it as much as some other shows, and I don't dislike it, I just wanted it to have some more room to breathe with its characters by giving them dialogue that wasn't filling in something with more exposition.

Kawaisou 11-12 + Final Thoughts

There are certain themes that resonate with me. One of those is a love of books and literature. That's why I never found Ritsu boring. Her love of literature shone through her stoic exterior, but I loved the rest of the cast too. Mayumi was hilarious, and what occurred in episode 11 with Sayaka cemented my love for her even more. Knowing that she was actually a BL-loving, scheming dork back in middle school puts her in a light that she really is like everyone else. Who you know isn't just about romance, it's about bonding over shared oddities and unique little things that people wouldn't pick up on. Shiro can bond with Chinatsu. Hayasahi can bond with that girl at the restaurant. And Usa and Ritsu can come together eventually. Though Usa did have his One Week Friends moments, seeing him try to bond with Ritsu through her love of books, and the way the series promoted a love of reading in general, had me intrigued. The comedy landed almost all of the time, and the things the show did with the manga effects and text flying around the screen kept the show visually interesting to watch, in addition to being interesting in its characterization. A charming little series. A bit lewder than, say, Mahoraba, but just as heartwarming in the end.

Sailor Moon 11-12

When planning your vacation for this summer, make sure that neither your theme parks nor your cruises are a trap. These are at least less conspicuous than some of Jadeite's previous plans. And having Rei as part of the team has been a huge improvement in character dynamics. Her snark with Usagi is delicious.

Happiness Charge Precure! 20-21

20 felt like a bit like stalling for time, but seeing Iona slowly grow closer, become one of the team, is proving to be exciting. She's not there yet, but it looks like that may be resolved this upcoming weekend. That Hime's solution to every problem is "ninja her way out of it" is also an amusing little character bit. Feels good to be getting into multi-part, plot-important arcs now. And the many and varied attacks this series has continue to impress. Like Hime's Hulk Hands. Sunshine and Luminous are good choices for Cure of the Week, and I swear that girl Precure Hunter Silva/Phantom trapped looked a lot like Echo. There was some small character design differences, but the resemblance was uncanny.

Brynhildr 11-12

This show's twists and death count continue to be ludicrous in its execution, but it's also highly entertaining. Coming up with a plan to distract Mako/Valkyria by pretending to be dead (ie. splashing paint over your body) is such a simple, borderline silly plan that it ought to not work, but not only did it sort of work, it got everyone's approval. The scene with Hatsuna was also kind of silly, but it did show Murakami's good side. I'm not sure if the writer's works turn out this way intentionally or not, but it's hardly the worst thing I've seen this season. Also, I'm surprised has 13 episodes.

One Week Friends 11-12 + Final Thoughts

Overall, I left the show satisfied. Tone is always a tricky thing, but I thought the drama in this one was pulled off mostly well enough. Yes, Hase did have some moments of weakness, but if he didn't have them, he'd be even weaker than he did. My favorite character was by and large Saki, with her go with the flow attitude and infectious enthusiasm. The soft color palette and slow and steady changes to the central idea were largely consistent. I was uncertain about picking up the show at first, but I ended up enjoying it by the end. It was a nice contrast to the other Sunday show, and Kaori's a fine main heroine. OP and ED are also nice. I don't have too many problems with it - it did what it set out to do. Drama and all.

Fairy Tail 186-187

The backstory with Erza and Kagura felt a bit retconny, but the fights are at least getting more exciting at this stage. Also not the first time I've seen someone possessed by a dragon during this block of episodes. Shadow!Gajeel is also a bit surprising, but it's not like Natsu hasn't eaten foreign substances and turned out okay for it before.

Mekaku City Actors 10-11

Now things are starting to make sense. The use of monochrome for the extended flashback in episode 10 was pretty good, and I'm enjoying how the music is being integrated as things start to come together. Momo and Kido's teamwork, in particular, was a really exciting sequence. Kinda surprised to see Takane walking around, but hopefully that'll be explained, or I just missed something. Looking forward to the finale.

Mahouka 11-12

I never thought I'd say this. I kinda miss Magical Warfare. Sure, the show was chaotic, the magical system was equally chaotic, and it jumped wildly between tones, but that made it interesting. For the 9-Wizard Tournament Olympics, Tatsuya's color commentary is the dullest thing I've seen in some time. The scenes where he's not on screen and the magical tournament is happening kinda held my attention - one of the first things to really do so - but otherwise the show's the same as it ever was. I'm sticking with it because I've already come this far, but this is making me really want to start Captain Earth.

Huh, Kamisama Dolls is a weird show. I can't tell if it wants to be funny or if it wants to be serious. But it seems to do both fairly well, which is kind of interesting.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Any fans of World Masterpieces Theater

Isn't it weird how all the stories of the female protagonists always ends up with them being apart of some rich family?

It almost feels like the stories' moral revolves around true happiness an the defeat of evil can only happen by great wealth. Its practically a capitalist fairytale and all the oxymorons that comes with such a thing in tow.

Articalys

Isn't it weird how all the stories of the female protagonists always ends up with them being apart of some rich family?

It almost feels like the stories' moral revolves around true happiness an the defeat of evil can only happen by great wealth. Its practically a capitalist fairytale and all the oxymorons that comes with such a thing in tow.
I mean, you can kind of attribute a lot of that to the original novels that the shows are all based on, right? I guess it was a common theme in certain branches of children's literature for a while.

Hattori

Banned
Chaika 11
That escalated very quickly, I really hope Frederica isn't dead. Blue Chaika is excaliburface.jpg. Her tacky design is as terrible as her personality. White>Red>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Blue

Girls und Panzer 02

Tanks for all.

The obvious teams gets decided, an instructor makes a memorable entrance and everybody get throw in at the deep end. Have they even had any training about operating the tanks yet? :p

Pooya

most of those are children or all ages books, what did you expect.

Have you watched Girl of the Alps though? I thought it was pretty compelling.
Story of the Alps is a pretty serious drama. not very fairy tale like.

Girls und Panzer 02

Tanks for all.

The obvious teams gets decided, an instructor makes a memorable entrance and everybody get throw in at the deep end. Have they even had any training about operating the tanks yet? :p

Why training ? you just need to read the manual and you'll be fine :p

/XX/

I mean, you can kind of attribute a lot of that to the original novels that the shows are all based on, right? I guess it was a common theme in certain branches of children's literature for a while.
Pretty much! Victorian-era novelists did well in thinking "now that children ain't being indoctrinated at factories but schools, it is our mission to show as an objective for those pesky little animals which now can barely read how they should properly behave at our society, and let them have a little glimpse as bait of what they could possibly never achieve, isn't it?" :p

cnet128

Banned
Baby Steps 12

Mike was...quite the character. (And the awkward moments he caused between Ei-chan and Nacchan were golden.)

Nice to see Ei-chan
completely dominate his next match (even if we didn't get to see it) and make it into the top eight.
Looks like his next opponent is quite the unusual fellow. Should be a fun match. Not sure how I fancy Ei-chan's chances of actually winning it, mind.

is that a new version of the Oliver Twist discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom