• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

I really don't hold early episodes against a show if at the end of the day it gets good before the last 5 episodes.

But as it stands I am in the early episodes and this is pretty awful. But at least now there's some glimmer of hope.

Part of the issue I have with the show is it has 8 episodes (4 in each half) that focus on Domon vs France/China/Russia/USA that give it a real formulaic feel. On top of that, early on Domon's a one note character (*shows photo* have u seen this dude?) with the only real glimpse of actual characterization first appearing in episode 8 iirc.

You start seeing more of this when he arrives in Neo Japan (which I meant to say earlier, not Hong Kong). He's really not the same person come Hong Kong though and has grown a lot by the last episode. It's probably my favorite thing about the show but something no one ever really talks about.

Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara 12

Uh, guys…what show am I watching again?

lol
the harem lead turned out to be the protag's actual sister. That I was not expecting.

That was actually hinted in the epilogue of the episode
where they were visiting the royal grounds

Nikodemos

Is it just me, or does the entire world of Kino no Tabi range from "somewhat unpleasant to live there" to "Crapsack Dystopia"?

cnet128

Banned
Isshuukan Friends 12 END

A fairly low-key but pleasant resolution to tie things up. Love the quiet winter atmosphere.

Overall, I think the first half of the series was definitely stronger than the latter half, but it was really sweet and well-executed throughout and definitely one of the better shows of the season.

And of course Saki is bestest girl and the cutest thing. Her scene with Kiryuu-kun was the best part of this episode too. I want a second season of this purely for the sake of seeing more of her.

/XX/

I missed out on the AnimeGAF thread for the airing of GuP so a lot of the initial impressions have been lost on me. I just grabbed the first 3 names of people that typically wouldn't hype a bad show.
Good ol' PdotMichael was giving us information (like PVs) about the project months before that, at the same time I was proudly following orders from /ak/ of looking forward to it. Only the love duckroll has for Reiko Yoshida made him rival PdotMichael's own hype machine at the time... :)

Although we all know how misunderstood is duckroll's hype around here...

ronalda sama wryyyyyyyyyyy
That last second goal was awesome, go watch some more Knight in the Area.
Excellent cross from him, but sadly he has been shaky at best since last weeks of La Liga, because of that muscular injury he has been suffering. Now even the most mildly efficient CF they had in Postiga (to help clear his path outmanoeuvring defenders and taking them with him in some plays) is now out too. Éder is too slow for that.

Add to it that without Coentrão this match, the side of the pitch he would defend seemed like a free-way for the US team. Even if Portugal somehow manages to pass to the next round I think they won't have enough players left to supplant their weaknesses.

Blusby

Definitely gonna watch these:

-Zankyou no Terror
-Tokyo Ghoul
-Akame ga Kill!
-Aldnoah.Zero
-Ao Haru Ride
-Tokyo ESP
-Illya 2wei!
-Free S2
-Persona 4 the Golden
-Yami Shiba II

3 ep rule
-Argevollen

Watching cause it'll be amazingly terrible
-SAO II

Hyouka 7
223886ff.jpg~original
There was a hot spring so you know there was going to be fanservice. What I didn't anticipate was the fanservice for the ladies. So it all balances out. I laughed when Oreki
passed out while thinking about Chitanda in the hot spring
. Once again we get a mystery thanks to some ghost stories. The "I'm curious" line gets me every time. I love Chitanda's character. And every time Oreki realizes what he said he goes "damn".

Oreki and Chitanda were cute this episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Good ol' PdotMichael was giving us information (like PVs) about the project months before that, at the same time I was proudly following orders from /ak/ of looking forward to it. Only the love duckroll has for Reiko Yoshida made him rival PdotMichael's own hype machine at the time... :)

Although we all know how misunderstood is duckroll's hype around here...
Yoshida is really the only reason why Girls und Panzer works as well as it does. See that paintball gun show as an example of when it all falls apart.

Part of the issue I have with the show is it has 8 episodes (4 in each half) that focus on Domon vs France/China/Russia/USA that give it a real formulaic feel. On top of that, early on Domon's a one note character (*shows photo* have u seen this dude?) with the only real glimpse of actual characterization first appearing in episode 8 iirc.

You start seeing more of this when he arrives in Neo Japan (which I meant to say earlier, not Hong Kong). He's really not the same person come Hong Kong though and has grown a lot by the last episode. It's probably my favorite thing about the show but something no one ever really talks about.

I guess those are my three big problems with the show. It's formulaic which in turn gives it that lazy writing feel. It's boring for the most part, with the actual Gundam fights only being like a minute long if we're lucky. And most of the characters are completely one note. If what you're saying about Domon is true than what it feels like is that they made Domon originally like this one note, bland and dick character so later in the series they can go "hey remember when he was like that? Well he's not like that anymore. He's more likable now. Character progression!"

Dumb question: has the Hunter x Hunter anime ever been licensed for dub/physical release?

Not the 2011 version. Apparently someone outbid Viz for the rights, but nobody knows who or something like that.

HxH always seemed like it missed out on being a huge hit to me, being a successor to Yu Yu Hakusho which was fairly big over here, having an anime series in 1999, and super popular in Japan. Kind of like how One Piece completely botched it's Western debut despite being incredibly popular in Japan.

And with the Toonami rebirth and the 2011 version, it's time came and went. Again. The show is almost finished by now.

Rhapsody

Banned
ACCEL WORLD - blu-ray run ( PART ONE )

It's been a while since i saw accel world so having the blu-ray of the first part was a cool escuse to watch it again.
This show was and still is very fun to watch thanks to the awesomely animated parts in the accelerated world
That scene with niko was :

GOLDEN

It feels good to watch it animated for the second time so now i can focus on the details and it was funny to discover the shameless advertising for MAHOUKA in ep 6 & 7 it definitly slipped under my radar because at the time i didn't know this franchise.

Overall the blu-ray image quality was excellent i do not regret my purchase.

I'm almost tempted to get the BD. I did like AW a lot (and the adaptation was pretty good).
The english LN comes out in a month too...

Still hoping for a 2nd season.

/XX/

Yoshida is really the only reason why Girls und Panzer works as well as it does. See that paintball gun show as an example of when it all falls apart.
Mr. Mizushima's management skills are top-notch! Coupled with good scripts, he can make the visual language specially engaging with the little resources he is given. Working harder than ever during the delay until delivering a product he could really be proud of made him the hero of this project!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mr. Mizushima's management skills are top-notch! Coupled with good scripts, he can make the visual language specially engaging with the little resources he was given. Working harder than ever during the delay to deliver a product he was prideful of made him the hero of this project!
That's true, although there were the two clip shows he was forced to make...

I'm almost tempted to get the BD. I did like AW a lot (and the adaptation was pretty good).
The english LN comes out in a month too...

Still hoping for a 2nd season.

Going by the first part .
Image quality is great
Translation quality is great too.

First part is 2 blu-ray , once with 8 eps , the other with 5 + extras
The extras are just clean ED/OP with some trailers for other animes in low quality.

Clov

Not the 2011 version. Apparently someone outbid Viz for the rights, but nobody knows who or something like that.

I don't remember hearing anything like that, but that's interesting if it's true. I wonder who could be sitting on it for this long?

Viz does have the 1999 anime though, but I don't think it's in print anymore.

Isshuukan Friends 12 END

A fairly low-key but pleasant resolution to tie things up. Love the quiet winter atmosphere.

Overall, I think the first half of the series was definitely stronger than the latter half, but it was really sweet and well-executed throughout and definitely one of the better shows of the season.

And of course Saki is bestest girl and the cutest thing. Her scene with Kiryuu-kun was the best part of this episode too. I want a second season of this purely for the sake of seeing more of her.

That
last scene before the credits rolling was absolutely adorable. In any other show, I would have probably thought trying to do some mirroring of his first "request" would be contrived and cliche. But like the rest of the show, they managed to take the possibly contrived and cliche and make it actually cute.

Syrinx

Date a Live II 9

Miku was still on that? And now Shido who "can't stand around" ends up listening to her and trying to convince her that "omg not all men and humans are bad?" This wouldn't have been a bad moment had it come much sooner and the show wasn't already clogged with all the shit it had going on. Alas, it is, and Miku is relegated to the worst character in the show.

One more, might as well watch now.

Narag

I guess those are my three big problems with the show. It's formulaic which in turn gives it that lazy writing feel. It's boring for the most part, with the actual Gundam fights only being like a minute long if we're lucky. And most of the characters are completely one note. If what you're saying about Domon is true than what it feels like is that they made Domon originally like this one note, bland and dick character so later in the series they can go "hey remember when he was like that? Well he's not like that anymore. He's more likable now. Character progression!"

Trust in Imagawa.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Akuma no Riddle - 11-12 [END]

Hooolllly hell!
So glad I committed to watching the entire episode before posting because I was about to have a meltdown. Sooooo happy Haru made it out ok, and FUCK YEAH to Chitaru and Hitsugi surviving too! Literally the best ending I could've hoped for, I'm just bummed there was no kiss at the end ;_;

Akuma no Riddle - 11-12 [END]

Hooolllly hell!
So glad I committed to watching the entire episode before posting because I was about to have a meltdown. Sooooo happy Haru made it out ok, and FUCK YEAH to Chitaru and Hitsugi surviving too! Literally the best ending I could've hoped for, I'm just bummed there was no kiss at the end ;_;

There were holding hands , that's more than enough !

And yeah that ending was something only a couple of people would enjoy ...but i'm glad i'm one of those

One Week Friends 12 END

It was nice. Hopefully popular enough for a second season.

Brynhildr in the Darkness 12

Ok. Why the hell did they have to go and cram all the chapters of the manga into a 13 episode series for? This should've been 24 eps. The earlier episodes were much better but here they are picking up the pace way too fast and cutting out a lot of stuff. It's still enjoyable but also such a shame.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
No Game No Life Episode 7
This is the most serious eisode of the show so far and it did it pretty well, lots of development for a few characters while also having serious planning for their next move, well done.

Oh Tiger and Bunny, so good. Forgot how much I loved you. But now I'm kind of dreading the second half. It did dip a bit in quality. Should've so been a 1-cour show. Also doesn't the creator want to eventually make a sequel?

edit: on another note I'm making my friend watch Katanagatari next. He has reached the point where he's used to the dere types and even makes tsundere jokes and can easily identify the character archetype in shows now. Which is a step in the right direction.

Syrinx

Date a Live II 10

10-episode season was so dumb. Second half of the season was a total mess.

Fuck Miku. Seriously. Worst character. Whole situation escalated like it did because she was being a bitch and was still caught up being petty while other people were trying to do shit. I was kinda happy thinking
she had died
but then it turned out
Shido saved her

There's a movie coming out. Will have to see what it's about before I'm interested.

So many Flags !!! I want them all - 12
This turn of events is really weird because it falls between the expected and the unexpected.
Kanojo%20ga%20Flag%20o%20Oraretara%20-%2012.jpg

Look at him , look at this guy , saving the world in a badass outflit !
-Formation of the full RAID party ? ( expected )
-A calm before the storm with everyone in "that" state ? ( expected )
-Nanami true self ? ( kinda expected ..she was the only one that couldn't be read after all )
-Ruri role in this mess ? ( unexpected )
-Bladefield prophecy ? ( expected )
-The current state of the world ? ( VERY UNEXPECTED )

This episode was handled MUCH BETTER than i would have hoped and if they don't mess it up , the final ep will make this anime one of the good surprises of this season.

Kanojo%20ga%20Flag%20o%20Oraretara%20-%2012_02.jpg

2 tank , 2 healers , the rest are DPS... There are going to kick -ass
Now that is a Party meant to take on the most fearsome foes !

Sword Art Online - 11

You know what would have been hilarious?

Like, I know all the higher-level players are on the higher floors trying to finish the game and all, but if there really was no huge reason to finish SAO, you know where they'd all be?

If this were any other MMO, they'd all be at the first town spamming their abilities for all the newbs to see and be jealous of. First towns are never calm and quiet in MMOs.

Talk about a huge missed opportunity for a joke there. Have Kirito and Asuna come back to the first town only to find a bunch of magic spammers flinging all their dark chaos inferno spells all over the place scaring the crap out of everybody. Oh right, SAO has no magic because SAO is a stupid game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Isshuukan Friends 12 END

I honestly don't know if this was better than the Kawaiisou ending, since there was absolutely no tension nor any progression in the romance. I suppose reaffirming friendship is better than getting off on exchanging phone numbers.

But yes, the secondary characters are way better than the primary ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom