• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a good outfit for them all.
Bqw4yeVIUAARDrk.jpg:large

ACCEL WORLD - blu-ray run ( PART ONE )

It's been a while since i saw accel world so having the blu-ray of the first part was a cool escuse to watch it again.
This show was and still is very fun to watch thanks to the awesomely animated parts in the accelerated world
That scene with niko was :

accel_world.gif

GOLDEN

It feels good to watch it animated for the second time so now i can focus on the details and it was funny to discover the shameless advertising for MAHOUKA in ep 6 & 7 it definitly slipped under my radar because at the time i didn't know this franchise.

Overall the blu-ray image quality was excellent i do not regret my purchase.

Accoun

Submarine 707R

Well... That was shit. I sometimes play bad games for a few laughs and this was the anime version of that. Got it as a part of anime DVD package I bought used a few years ago from a guy on another forum and never watched it.

Could paste my full opinion I've written somewhere, but it's long and probably poorly written. Just wrote it to put off some steam, so whatever. :p

Also, it has probably the most unnecessary and unfitting loli fanservice I've seen, holy shit.

santeesioux

I saw someone mention that the latest Brynhildr episode covered something like 40 plus chapters of the manga, thereby cannibalizing any chance of a second season.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
is that a new version of the Oliver Twist discussion?

Pretty much! Victorian-era novelists did well in thinking "now that children ain't being indoctrinated at factories but schools, it is our mission to show those pesky little animals which now can barely read how they should properly behave, and let them have a little glimpse of what they could ever achieve at our society, isn't it?"

most of those are children or all ages books, what did you expect.

Have you watched Girl of the Alps though? I thought it was pretty compelling.
Story of the Alps is a pretty serious drama. not very fairy tale like.

I mean, you can kind of attribute a lot of that to the original novels that the shows are all based on, right? I guess it was a common theme in certain branches of children's literature for a while.

I guess the short answer everyone seems to be dialing into is that the stories are a product of their time. Its such a waist given how strong the spirits of the female characters are. The stories are generally prepared like a fine steak and the endings are like someone squirting ketchup over it.... sure ketchup tastes great but on good meat, its compromising and not enhancing the quality.

I enjoy these stories but I can't help but to think it could be better.

I'll also look into Alps Story, its been on my to do list for a while.

cajunator

Banned
Huh, Kamisama Dolls is a weird show. I can't tell if it wants to be funny or if it wants to be serious. But it seems to do both fairly well, which is kind of interesting.

It is pretty weird but Utao is so cute! Theres not much to say about it really.

Love transcends money.

Love transcends understanding.

Love transcends friendship.

Love transcends cajun.

Hey now I spent 100 bucks on a Griffon figure nust because it was Kurumi. Thats dedication man!

ONII-SAMA The Animation 12

My favorite part of this episode is how Onii-sama arrived at the scene of an injured girl and then told the paramedics what to do because he knows better.

ONII-SAMA The Animation 12

My favorite part of this episode is how Onii-sama arrived at the scene of an injured girl and then told the paramedics what to do because he knows better.

ah and you never wondered how oni-sama managed to arrive near the body BEFORE THE MEDICS when he was on the public grounds in the first place ?

Mr.Jeff

hmm might get to this soon.
If you can get past the eye shudderingly horrendous CG in the first 5 minutes, the series is legitimately amazing. Plus Yukari is the best.

Edit: It's my secret wish to get Corvo to watch this and see what he thinks.

Sketchbook Full Colors - 1-7
I'm a bit conflicted about a few things in Sketchbook. There are aspects of it that make me think it could be a really great healing anime, but the more I watch, the more it becomes an ensemble cast comedy. While that's not a bad thing in and of itself, the execution has left something to be desired.
</snip>
It's all just very pleasant to watch, but I get the feeling that it could be so much more.
I actually think the comedy moments help move it away from a series of healing anime snapshots. The humour is all good-natured and not particularly nasty and helps gel all the cast together in a real nice way. The only time it falls a bit flat is with the Engrish sections of Kate but that's fine because I'm seeing that from the other side.

I can agree that the healing scenes can be a bit more powerful - the afternoon spent in the rain for example - but I never found the comedy to detract from the series. It's meant to be a school life series after all, not 25 minutes of KanaHana talking breathily into the mic.(....although I'd probably be down for that)

Considering the source is 4-koma, I think they do an amazing job of piecing it all together in such a more coherent form while still retaining so many of the jokes.
Always slightly gutted that it never got a second season.

The idiot twins are amazing though.

Brynhildr in the Darkness 12
Thats not how it goes in the manga. If I hadn't of read it, I would have been absolutely lost for this episode. 30ish chapters condensed down to 1 episode with a rewrote ending.

Narag

Lupin III: The Mystery of the Hemingway Papers

Apparently this was the second Lupin special to air, directed by Osamu Dezaki who did the first four as well as a couple others. It was ok, I guess. Dezaki's direction led to some great visual charisma as seen above but the script seemed really weak to start.

Titular Hemingway Papers seemed liked it'd be an interesting plot point but it's relegated to act III for the most part, serving as more macguffin than anything early on to lure Lupin to the island where the special takes place. Jigen & Goemon are brought there too to serve as mercenaries on opposite sides of a civil war but that's never explored satisfactorily, instead another weak reason to draw the crew all to the same location for this adventure that's bolstered by equally weak ulterior motives. The premise of the civil war is also really loose, more or less existing to provide some sort of antagonistic force in the special, the politics behind it being all but forgettable.

Thankfully, the third act was solid with the Hemingway Papers becoming a focal point once again and everything being resolved in a satisfactory manner.

Narag

If you can get past the eye shudderingly horrendous CG in the first 5 minutes, the series is legitimately amazing. Plus Yukari is the best.

Edit: It's my secret wish to get Corvo to watch this and see what he thinks.

I hate you guys for pressuring me into this moe military girl genre.

cnet128

Banned
Gokukoku no Brynhildr 12
I saw someone mention that the latest Brynhildr episode covered something like 40 plus chapters of the manga, thereby cannibalizing any chance of a second season.

...Yeah, after watching the episode this doesn't really surprise me. Even for Brynhildr, all the shit that went down in this episode seemed very sudden and out-there. Between the arc that they apparently skipped over before and the rushed-ass pacing now, I'm starting to think I'll just have to check out the original manga for this show if I want to enjoy it properly, which is a pity.

Mr.Jeff

But it's a genuinely good show! Strike witches was mainly for lewd purposes. This has the seal of approval of Jexhius, Branduil and duckroll!

If you don't enjoy it, I will watch a series of any garbage you choose to pick.

Gokukoku no Brynhildr 12

...Yeah, after watching the episode this doesn't really surprise me. Even for Brynhildr, all the shit that went down in this episode seemed very sudden and out-there. Between the arc that they apparently skipped over before and the rushed-ass pacing now, I'm starting to think I'll just have to check out the original manga for this show if I want to enjoy it properly, which is a pity.
If you want to pick up where episode 12 started, its Chapter 72 and the episode ended at 100ish. But yeah, with how they went about that, any chance of a second season was shot out of the sky, burned then nuked.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Without spoiling ?
Shion is playing a VR mmo based on guns and she use a very rare LONG RANGE SNIPER.
Competent fighter that is well served in hit & run tactics as well as simple traps.
No boyfriend, just a IRL friend that she look up to .

That's the best i can tell you without spoiling anything regarding to the plot.

Her real name is Asada Shino (&#26397;&#30000; &#35433;&#20035;, Asada Shino). She is nicknamed Hecate in Gun GAle Online ( name of the game ) , after her gun «PGM Ultima Ratio Hecate II», a rare .50 caliber anti-materiel sniper rifle.
She is 16
Well that's not going to make for an interesting OP blurb. Maybe I'll have to wait till after watching episode one before posting it.

Well that's not going to make for an interesting OP blurb. Maybe I'll have to wait till after watching episode one before posting it.

You should have precised that you wanted something spoiler free for the SAO OT

i would have answered to something like this :

Name : Asada Shino
Nickname : Shinon
Very familiar Nickname ( only a few people are allowed to call her with this ) : Sinonon

16 years old , Experienced Sniper in the GunGale Online universe , her motto is 'One Shot, One Kill'.

Strong character that actually make decisions for herself , she is the BEST GIRL of the Entire Sword art Online universe , and her voice actress for the anime is only going to make this situation even more true.

People who don't know her much are calling her Hecate in GGO, because she uses a gun «PGM Ultima Ratio Hecate II», a rare .50 caliber anti-materiel sniper rifle.

BEST GIRL BY A LONG SHOT
( pun intended )

Hyouka 6 - I am Curious!!!!
I love how Chitanda gets up in Oreki's face when she wants to know something. And that trademark phrase "I am curious".

I like how she messed with Oreki when she says "
getting angry is tiring" and Oreki said "I think I found my soulmate" only to be crushed when she's tells every one she was just kidding
. Oh Chi-chan, how cruel you are. I also liked how Chitanda panicked when Mayaka was getting angry. Oreki to the rescue was amazing.

Also why does my iPad keep trying to autocorrect Oreki to Preschool?

cnet128

Banned
Love Live! S2 12

SCHOOL PYJAMA PARTY. There is no such thing as a bad pyjama episode. ...Even if it did mean the subtle return of Nico's terrifyingface >.>

The way they
brought back the first season's OP
at the end of the episode felt a little forced...but who cares, because it was awesome to see
one of the show's best songs again
!

I actually think the comedy moments help move it away from a series of healing anime snapshots. The humour is all good-natured and not particularly nasty and helps gel all the cast together in a real nice way. The only time it falls a bit flat is with the Engrish sections of Kate but that's fine because I'm seeing that from the other side.

I can agree that the healing scenes can be a bit more powerful - the afternoon spent in the rain for example - but I never found the comedy to detract from the series. It's meant to be a school life series after all, not 25 minutes of KanaHana talking breathily into the mic.(....although I'd probably be down for that)

Considering the source is 4-koma, I think they do an amazing job of piecing it all together in such a more coherent form while still retaining so many of the jokes.
Always slightly gutted that it never got a second season.

The idiot twins are amazing though.

Now I can get with absurd humor, but the twins do absolutely nothing for me. They're like Negishi where part of the joke is that they're yelling, which I just don't find that funny or amusing. And even though jokes don't all hit for me, I think I'm mainly struggling to adjust to something that I came in expecting to be something else. I shouldn't really complain this much though, since I still am enjoying it.

But you have figured me out. I just want this to be KanaHana and her friends going on adventures throughout the town with the help of Kamiya, Kate, and the cats. Maybe I'll get that in the next 6 episodes. I'll just have to watch and find out.

Seikoku no dragonnar - 12
Man that bad guys sure love his tentacles !

Other than that i'm very surprised that they heavily implied that Eco won , considering that's it's not over yet but who know , ash roler can still go for the harem route.

Kudos to julius for exposing that valkyrie secret ... that was just what i needed.

And seriously this anime , in uncensored mode is REALLY just like a regular hentai at times.

/XX/

That is selling it short for a show that goes beyond such terms intelligently, giving us a more than interesting charismatic cast full of very different interactions and coupled with the excellent comedic timing Mr. Mizushima imprints to its shows.

But it's a genuinely good show! Strike witches was mainly for lewd purposes. This has the seal of approval of Jexhius, Branduil and duckroll!
And PdotMichael! Credit were credit is due for being the 'connoisseur' who had the first in here such faith on this show.

Akira

So, is this where all calling out of each others names seen in many shows comes from?

On a more serious note, this movie is looks really nice even today, but it is also really weird, like a Drakengard that's hold itself back.

I gotta say, I expected to be bored at some point during it's 2 hour runtime, but I was pretty interested throughout.

One more thing that stands out here is the soundtrack, it isn't really used any differently than other movies. But it does stand out by it sounding so unorthodox to anime. I like it.

Mr.Jeff

Now I can get with absurd humor, but the twins do absolutely nothing for me. They're like Negishi where part of the joke is that they're yelling, which I just don't find that funny or amusing. And even though jokes don't all hit for me, I think I'm mainly struggling to adjust to something that I came in expecting to be something else. I shouldn't really complain this much though, since I still am enjoying it.

But you have figured me out. I just want this to be KanaHana and her friends going on adventures throughout the town with the help of Kamiya, Kate, and the cats. Maybe I'll get that in the next 6 episodes. I'll just have to watch and find out.
Well as people have said, humour is all down to the individual so what works for me doesn't necessarily work for you! The skits aren't necessarily laugh out loud but they keep me entertained so I'm not wondering where the next segment is.

I'd still say Sora is the main focus for the show though, just her trips are interspersed with the time she spends in the class. It's probably where the Aria comparisons are made from - moments of profoundness interspersed with the ludicrous moments between the cast. And the cat moments as well I guess.

Also, Jouji Nakata as the imperious cat is just the greatest thing ever.

(Would still firehawkstarter a 25 minute KanaHana talking show)

And PdotMichael! Credit were credit is due for being the 'connoisseur' who had the first in here such faith on this show.
I missed out on the AnimeGAF thread for the airing of GuP so a lot of the initial impressions have been lost on me. I just grabbed the first 3 names of people that typically wouldn't hype a bad show.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 7
How to make an unlikable Main Character 101

How to make the cheesiest/lamest ending 101

Domon is one of the most bland and dumbest characters I have ever seen come out of anime. And that's saying something. He's unappreciative and a dick to everything that walks.

The story itself and it's characters follow no real logic. One minute Domon is telling the fighter to fight against his country. The next he's stopping him from doing it and telling him to fight him "because of reasons". Funny, the episode I hope the MC eats a bullet is the episode he finally
takes a Gundam down

And the authorities are all
like "hey give us back our Gundam you stole; your a traitor to our country" and then when the Gundam is destroyed "he's a hero, our country will remember him forever"
. Bleh. What lazy storytelling. The writing is so bad it hurts.

I never knew Gundam could be this bad.

Narag

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 7

Domon is one of the most bland and dumbest characters I have ever seen come out of anime. And that's saying something. He's unappreciative and a dick to everything that walks.

This is actually part of his character arc, believe it or not.

Not in any of these first 7 episodes.

Show is really weak as it introduces everyone, starts picking up steam in Hong Kong.

This is actually part of his character arc, believe it or not.

Show is really weak as it introduces everyone, starts picking up steam in Hong Kong.

I really don't hold early episodes against a show if at the end of the day it gets good before the last 5 episodes.

But as it stands I am in the early episodes and this is pretty awful. But at least now there's some glimmer of hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom