• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
http://moca-news.net/article/20140623/201406231000a/01/

I hope this kid keeps that stupid grin on his face for almost the whole show.

Needs more Tomino despair. Mechs do seem to look better in the show itself although the designs really are pretty shit. Show does look to be very nice visually though.

i49iSN0HE5tBw.jpg
This is an awful looking mech though.

If Her Flag Breaks 12
I'm kind of confused on this one. Really messed with my expectations. It kind of flips the premise upside down from light-hearted harem comedy to a sort of epic adventure. A very interesting team put together though

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If Her Flag Breaks 12
I'm kind of confused on this one. Really messed with my expectations. It kind of flips the premise upside down from light-hearted harem comedy to a sort of epic adventure. A very interesting team put together though
They kept shifting between the two in the anime, but the whole
Matrix
reveal really threw a monkey wrench into the whole operation. lol

Sketchbook Full Colors - 1-7

I'm a bit conflicted about a few things in Sketchbook. There are aspects of it that make me think it could be a really great healing anime, but the more I watch, the more it becomes an ensemble cast comedy. While that's not a bad thing in and of itself, the execution has left something to be desired.

Initially it struck me as a clearly Aria influenced high school slice of life with a similar narrative structure. Even the main character, Sora, is a similarly inquisitive, soft-spoken girl like Akari. But in Sora's case, she has this reserved air about her that gave those initial episodes a unique element. During those episodes, the show also began to reveal each of the various side characters that make up the art class along with the three main girls. I didn't have much of an issue at first, but then it started separating the three girls to focus more on side character antics, which have been much weaker. At the moment, I wish the show would downsize the large cast to its bare essentials because I think it may be stretching itself too thin. A number of them are simply one-note and don't bring anything to the table or are gag characters that fall flat.

Luckily, when it does focus on Sora's introspection or the interactions between the core three or a select few side characters like the cats, I enjoy the show a lot. I really like the upbeat piano pieces that make up a lot of the music too. Its had a few moments of mono no aware that I loved. Even some gags really worked for me like the two scenes above. It's all just very pleasant to watch, but I get the feeling that it could be so much more.
I'm all with Mr. Jeff when I say I think the comedic bits that come from its 4koma origins don't take away much, if anything from the very Aria-esque healing segments. In a very small way they make me think of the various deformed "anime" faces in Aria that were present enough to not make the super :firehawk situations get stale.
The idiot twins are amazing though.
I hate you guys for pressuring me into this moe military girl genre.
Humikane also did the designs for Garupan, you can't escaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape.

Just for future reference: Yukaricchi is the best girl, while Saori is the UNFest.
But it's a genuinely good show! Strike witches was mainly for lewd purposes. This has the seal of approval of Jexhius, Branduil and duckroll!

If you don't enjoy it, I will watch a series of any garbage you choose to pick.
Strike Witches bullying convincing was for many purposes, lewd and otherwise.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Knight in the Area 12

Man, Araki really is the best. I don't think I've ever seen this much #slack from an anime character before, definitely not in a sports anime. Dude is basically the anime version of fat Ronaldo. Guy will seemingly be incapable of keeping a steady weight for the rest of his life. It'll be really rough once he stops playing football.

The whole playing a guy into playing shape doesn't really make a whole lot of sense when you're talking about a tournament setting, but an extremely fat Araki is still pretty much their best player by a mile. Either way I'll imagine he will shed that 50 pounds or so (again) but this time for good.

Needs more Tomino despair. Mechs do seem to look better in the show itself although the designs really are pretty shit. Show does look to be very nice visually though.

This is an awful looking mech though.

Looks pretty bland.

Main gundam needs some wings and beam swords otherwise reminds me of how uninteresting first gundam was. I hope it gets upgrades fast or gets destroyed and a second one appears swiftly.

Lead characters tall neck in that outfit just makes it look plain weird.

Looks pretty bland.

Main gundam needs some wings and beam swords otherwise reminds me of how uninteresting first gundam was. I hope it gets upgrades fast or gets destroyed and a second one appears swiftly.

Lead characters tall neck in that outfit just makes it look plain weird.

It probably will get an upgrade or be switched out depending on the length of the series.

Rhapsody

Banned
I honestly don't know if this was better than the Kawaiisou ending, since there was absolutely no tension nor any progression in the romance. I suppose reaffirming friendship is better than getting off on exchanging phone numbers.

But yes, the secondary characters are way better than the primary ones!

Did Kaori even get a cell phone in the middle of the series? I forget.

Articalys

*looks at calendar* Eh, I guess it's close enough now.

Will definitely watch
Sailor Moon Crystal -- well, duh.
Sword Art Online II -- yep. And I'll draw my further enjoyment of the show from the rage of everyone else who hates it.
Aldnoah Zero -- filing this one under "duckroll hype" plus the Aoki/Urobuchi combo.
Space Dandy S2 -- another obvious one.
Zankyou no Terror -- yet another obvious one.
Yama no Susume S2 -- first "cute girls doing cute things" series for the season. Enjoyed the first series and glad this one will get more time.

Will try
Glasslip -- the newest P.A.Works original series. I skipped NagiAsu because the supernatural angle didn't really appeal to me, but this one looks like it should be a bit more on the normal side of things... I hope.
Argevollen -- mecha series. Story sounds pretty bland but it looks like it might be some fun.
Rail Wars -- standard LN adaptation fanservicey action series.
Barakamon -- looks like a fun slice-of-life thing with a neat setting.
Jinsei -- might be amusing.
Akame ga Kill -- here's a series that's already got quite a reputation.
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun -- positive impressions from the manga readers and it looks sufficiently wacky.
Himegoto -- at only 4 minutes per episode, what do I have to lose?
Ao Haru Ride -- and here's this season's shojo series.
Hanayamata -- second "cute girls doing cute things" series for the season.

And I've still got Baby Steps, Captain Earth, Haikyuu, and Jojo carrying over from the current season.

Either a lot of my "will try" shows turn out to be drops, or I am screwed.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gundam G-Reco site has updated into an info site

Looks like it is, in fact, airing in Fall as a TV series.
Also it seems like it takes place in R.C. 1014, which is the calender date after U.C.
That 3rd one though

Are the mech designs Akira Yasuda? Because those really look like Overmen/Silhouette Engines. Maybe it's wishful thinking because of the Yoshida character designs, but Overman King Gainer has some of my favorite mecha designs and these really give me the same vibe.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did Kaori even get a cell phone in the middle of the series? I forget.
I don't remember either. I assume she must have one. lol

Also, the Love Live penultimate episode made me go back and check K-On!! 20 again. I wonder what would have happened if Love Live got more episodes, because I completely forgot that episode 20 is just two songs and a lot of Yui MCing, something we don't really see at all in Love Live. And of course, the final concert all builds toward the sad/happy ending so nicely.

Articalys

Are the mech designs Akira Yasuda? Because those really look like Overmen/Silhouette Engines. Maybe it's wishful thinking because of the Yoshida character designs, but Overman King Gainer has some of my favorite mecha designs and these really give me the same vibe.
http://www.g-reco.net/staff.html

メカニカルデザイン: 安田 朗、形部一平、山根公利

So he's one of them, yes.

What's the record for the most chapters covered in one ep? Could swear I've heard high numbers before but nothing like that.

I remember Zetman went from something like chapter 7 to somewhere in the 90s in a single episode, but it turned out they just skipped a ton of stuff that they went back and covered later.

30-40 chapters in a single episode for a non 4-koma series has got to be some kind of record if they actually adapted the general gist of it all.

cajunator

Banned
Chaika 11
That escalated very quickly, I really hope Frederica isn't dead. Blue Chaika is excaliburface.jpg. Her tacky design is as terrible as her personality. White>Red>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Blue

This is truth. Blue is massive downgrade.

ACCEL WORLD - blu-ray run ( PART ONE )

It's been a while since i saw accel world so having the blu-ray of the first part was a cool escuse to watch it again.
This show was and still is very fun to watch thanks to the awesomely animated parts in the accelerated world
That scene with niko was :

accel_world.gif

GOLDEN

It feels good to watch it animated for the second time so now i can focus on the details and it was funny to discover the shameless advertising for MAHOUKA in ep 6 & 7 it definitly slipped under my radar because at the time i didn't know this franchise.

Overall the blu-ray image quality was excellent i do not regret my purchase.

I love this show so much When Niko first showed up I was like oh god not another stupid imouto, but no then she got AWESOME. This show is just plain wonderful with KYH and the fun character designs and a much much much much much better world than SAO. This was his apology for SAO and a complete redemption as far as Im concerned.

I hate you guys for pressuring me into this moe military girl genre.

Its a leap worth taking! Youll like it Im quite certain!

Hyouka 6 - I am Curious!!!!

I love how Chitanda gets up in Oreki's face when she wants to know something. And that trademark phrase "I am curious".

I like how she messed with Oreki when she says "
getting angry is tiring" and Oreki said "I think I found my soulmate" only to be crushed when she's tells every one she was just kidding
. Oh Chi-chan, how cruel you are. I also liked how Chitanda panicked when Mayaka was getting angry. Oreki to the rescue was amazing.

Also why does my iPad keep trying to autocorrect Oreki to Preschool?

Ahahahah. Good stuff :D

Is it just me, or does the entire world of Kino no Tabi range from "somewhat unpleasant to live there" to "Crapsack Dystopia"?

Yeah Kinos journey really shows the absolute worst of humanity. But along the way it also shows some very beautiful parts but also some morally ambiguous. Such a beautiful series. Anime at the top of its game.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Knight in the Area 14

Man this Hibino guy is the biggest dick in the world. Tries to rub it in MC's face that his knee is still unrecovered and he couldn't understand that kind of pain... saying it to a brah who went through the shit that he did.

Also glad that the romance stuff has finally reached one way indirect kiss status. Better progression than most actual romance anime (and especially romance in sports anime) these days. At least the two of them probably exchanged emails when they were both 5 years old or so.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Soul Eater Not - 11

I'm not going to say I was 100% correct about their being full blown scissoring by the end of this series but I can safely say one girl riding the other is close enough.

sonicmj1

hmm might get to this soon.

Girls und Panzer is legit good without any reservations. It's a fun, lighthearted sports show with really well-directed exciting matches. And the sport is tank battles. It's got pretty much perfect execution on the sports story formula, and as an original anime it's not subject to the horrors of shonen sports pacing.

Something could be slipping my mind, but I think it'd be fair to call it the best original anime series of the last three years (2012-2014).

cajunator

Banned
Girls und Panzer is legit good without any reservations. It's a fun, lighthearted sports show with really well-directed exciting matches. And the sport is tank battles. It's got pretty much perfect execution on the sports story formula, and as an original anime it's not subject to the horrors of shonen sports pacing.

Something could be slipping my mind, but I think it'd be fair to call it the best original anime series of the last three years (2012-2014).

Its wonderful is what it is. Except that when it got licensed they had to leave out Katyusha which left a gaping hole in my heart.

Hattori

Banned
Yeah Kinos journey really shows the absolute worst of humanity. But along the way it also shows some very beautiful parts but also some morally ambiguous. Such a beautiful series. Anime at the top of its game.
The things in Kino's Journey are what I imagine the contents of the 'Black Tape' in Yu Yu Hakusho. Very dark stuff x(

Mekakucity Actors 11

O3KXCHkl.jpg

Even more filling in the blank plot going around. Definitely looking forward to seeing how they'll end this. It's been really fun watching this.

Dog Days 03-05

71DbLx6l.jpg

Despite this is happening during a war or something, I like how light hearted it is. I am also enjoying all these great voice actors that I recognize now.

Puchimas!! 66

Happy Birthday Ritsuko!

Articalys

Brb, crying so hard. :(
I didn't think it had purely negative connotations... well, at least in this case I was just using it to refer to how you've been the main vehicle for information about the series around here. It's not like I think it's going to turn out a trainwreck with total certainty or anything.

duckroll

I didn't think it had purely negative connotations... well, at least in this case I was just using it to refer to how you've been the main vehicle for information about the series around here. It's not like I think it's going to turn out a trainwreck with total certainty or anything.

Duckroll Hype never ends well! You know that! T_T

From Up On Poppy Hill

this was a pretty charming movie. not amazing, but it was loaded with nostalgia and had a pretty enjoyable movie. reading that Disney didn't want to release it because of
incest concerns
is pretty amusing.

also there's this thing with Studio Ghibli endings that really bugs me. it's like the final conflict has been resolved and then boom, credits. it's the equivalent of beating the final boss in a game and then some dude says "congrats you saved the world" then the credits roll. it was particularly bad in this film because it didn't even feel like a total resolution to the problem (though I guess it was).

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Knight in the Area 15

Fun episode and totally stupid. Love it. Long ass throw ins are one of the most exciting things in football, always loved watching Rory Delap play, was pretty much the main reason to watch a match with Stoke. They even use the benefits of the throw in within the episode - specifically the no offsides rule.

I was expecting something stupid after the tease last episode but this was pretty neat. Definitely the most football ass football episode of the series.

Also shiiiiit, we've already advanced to holding hands. At the rate they're going MC's going to be a dad by about episode 20.
Or maybe it'll be his brother :lol :lol :lol

Either way this dumb show helped get the horrible taste out of my mouth from earlier :(

duckroll

I think you're looking in the wrong place if you want Kill-Em-All-Tomino. That Tomino died when he mellowed into old age and started to appreciate his marriage more. Now it's all about Wacky-Fun-Times-Tomino where he does all sorts of goofball stuff with mechs, while showing the willpower and joy that children have.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Naw, Ano Natsu. It's still the best anime romcom of the last few years.

cajunator

Banned
youre a monster in this thread. and not only do you top the post list you actually make long thoughtful posts.

occasionally that happens. Its usually an accident ^^
I multi quote a whole lot since I often fall behind several pages while working. I still manage to stay up to date with this thread daily though.

fertygo

I don't get the complaint for G-Reco's mech, aside for the flying enemy one, they all look pretty nice.. visually striking, telegraphed its function fast, and I don't think its looked that goofball.. its does look less "aggressive" though if that make sense.. its not look as obvious those mech gonna blowing each other, they gonna trying to hook children audience with that I assume.

I don't get the complaint for G-Reco's mech, aside for the flying enemy one, they all look pretty nice.. visually striking, telegraphed its function fast, and I don't think its looked that goofball.. its does look less "aggressive" though if that make sense.. its not look as obvious those mech gonna blowing each other, they gonna trying to hook children audience with that I assume.

I don't think they have the capabilities of blowing to begin with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom