• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mokoi

Banned
Hamatora is the worst series I ever watched. Now it doesnt only get a second season, but an awesome OP too. What is wrong with the world.

Inb4 Huha huha huha huha huha huha

It's not the worst I've seen, but it is shit. Surprised it got a 2nd season must of been pretty popular

Sailor Moon 13

Ul0Ib0k.jpg

The episode title says it all really. The enemy gets... well... crushed in a rather unspectacular showdown.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Gothic steam punk bug loving lolita, Agitha from twilight princess will be in hyrule warriors as a playable character.

Sailor Moon 14

A new enemy races onto the scene.

Usagi have problems fighting a monster, but gets rescued by Tuxedo Mask not only once, but twice here. And Tuxedo Mask suddenly experience some kind of problem too.

cajunator

Banned

24 y.o. Kurisu? YES

Truly the Kirito of our time. lol

Dont insult NGNL like that!

I knowwwww

Started watching Saki, and we need a Hanafuda anime as well, this is gold.

Chihayafuru is the closest youll get and its wonderful. One of my favorites.

Oh man, the Baccano! OP is like, the grooviest thing I've ever heard when it comes to anime openings.

Seriously, dat saxophone.

If you like that OP (who wouldnt) you'd love Gunsmith Cats style and feel too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7HPyUcy37I

Sailor Moon 14

A new enemy races onto the scene.

Usagi have problems fighting a monster, but gets rescued by Tuxedo Mask not only once, but twice here. And Tuxedo Mask suddenly experience some kind of problem too.

Thats a Ferrari 512M

Kamisama Dolls END - Yeah, I liked this show. Like I said before in my earlier impressions, weird combination of some really dark and serious points,
murder/rape of Sensei, attempted rape of Hibino
, along with lighthearted adorable humor in anything related to Utao, and then some probably unnecessary fan service,
Mahriu straddling Hibino fondling her comically oversized breasts.
Unfortunately the show ended with a few loose ends that could have probably been wrapped up with another 2-3 episodes but clearly were teased for a season 2 which will never happen. A bummer, but at least its good to know that I haven't completely scraped Crunchyroll clean and that there are some worthwhile shows I haven't watched yet.

Next plan is to rewatch Love Live S1 and finally move on to S2!

mankoto

Gokukoku no Brynhildr 12

Actually, there's pretty much no chance it would hatch this week
And then it does in less than 5 minutes of runtime later.

I still really dislike this series, but at least the story is so bad I can enjoy it.

Kanojo ga Flag o Oraretara 12
It might be because I'm still waking up, but this episode felt weird. I don't know how to describe it, but it was like the series just stopped making sense.

Isshuukan Friends 12 END
At the of the day, this was a really nice series. It would've been better if Hase didn't wuss out every time something happened. Although that would make Shogo's existence null as he wouldn't be necessary then.

Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season 12
I'm not going to lie, using the first OP as the encore was a really nice touch. That made me really happy.

cajunator

Banned
Kamisama Dolls END - Yeah, I liked this show. Like I said before in my earlier impressions, weird combination of some really dark and serious points,
murder/rape of Sensei, attempted rape of Hibino
, along with lighthearted adorable humor in anything related to Utao, and then some probably unnecessary fan service,
Mahriu straddling Hibino fondling her comically oversized breasts.
Unfortunately the show ended with a few loose ends that could have probably been wrapped up with another 2-3 episodes but clearly were teased for a season 2 which will never happen. A bummer, but at least its good to know that I haven't completely scraped Crunchyroll clean and that there are some worthwhile shows I haven't watched yet.

Next plan is to rewatch Love Live S1 and finally move on to S2!

Yeah there was some kinda disturbing stuff but It wasnt as WTF as like Narutaru.

mankoto

Now that I think about it, how's Space Dandy? I never got the chance to sit down and watch it, but I'm not doing anything today and with Season 2 around the corner, I might as well look at it since that's all my friends talked about when it aired on CN.

If you like that OP (who wouldnt) you'd love Gunsmith Cats style and feel too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7HPyUcy37I

Pretty groovy, but not as groovy as Baccano's.

Baccano! - 4

Ladd Russo is the craziest psychotic murderer I've seen in an anime since Ali al Saachez from Gundam 00. Okay, maybe he's not THAT crazy. The dude hasn't
brainwashed children into murdering their parents yet, but still.
Dude's a freakin PSYCHOPATH though.

Isaac and Miria continue to be the best characters in this show.

It's really interesting hearing all these different facts about these characters and seeing these same scenes from different perspectives. Really makes me wonder how this is all gonna end up. Show's pretty good in that regard so far.

Jarmel

Banned
Now that I think about it, how's Space Dandy? I never got the chance to sit down and watch it, but I'm not doing anything today and with Season 2 around the corner, I might as well look at it since that's all my friends talked about when it aired on CN.

Fluctuates. Highs are really fucking high but the lows are pretty low.

Defuser

It's a hit and miss but leaning more on the miss. The soundtrack on the other hand is the one that carries the show.

Sailor Moon 13

Lol Jadeite went out like a bitch, yet somehow he is less embarrassing the Tuxedo Mask who actually lost to Jadeite. I did find it quiet hilarious that Jadeite's best plan to beat the guardians was to throw airplanes at them.

Hopefully this next villain is more of a threat

Oh man, the Baccano! OP is like, the grooviest thing I've ever heard when it comes to anime openings.

Seriously, dat saxophone.
The show is just good overall. There's one semi weak arc I'd personally could do without but it's only an episode or two.

I'll be watching more doctor batman and loli today. At least 2-3 more episodes.
It's a hit and miss but leaning more on the miss. The soundtrack on the other hand is the one that carries the show.

See I'd say the opposite. I'd say that after the first half it was more hit than miss. Slightly over half of the episodes were downright good. So I guess that's a good thing.

Midonin

Mangaka 11-12 + Final Thoughts

And the last shot of the series is of some man-crotch. Can't say I expected that, but it's in line with Hiroyuki's sense of humor. The series' lewdness wasn't the best lewdness I've seen, but it was alright, and meta-fiction about the manga industry is always appreciable. Not the worst, not the best, just a bit of a sex farce that delivered exactly what I expected. Like the way Sena was tastefully covered by the cats in episode 11. Wonder which show will take up the reins of lewd from it in the season to come.

Moaradin

I thought it was great. Show really hit it's stride halfway through. Not to say I didn't like a lot of the earlier episodes though.

The English dub is great.

Mangaka 11-12 + Final Thoughts

And the last shot of the series is of some man-crotch. Can't say I expected that, but it's in line with Hiroyuki's sense of humor. The series' lewdness wasn't the best lewdness I've seen, but it was alright, and meta-fiction about the manga industry is always appreciable. Not the worst, not the best, just a bit of a sex farce that delivered exactly what I expected. Like the way Sena was tastefully covered by the cats in episode 11. Wonder which show will take up the reins of lewd from it in the season to come.

Still have to wait until next week to see the final episode since all non-Daisuki simulcasts for free members are delayed. Glad Sentai picked this up, and hopefully they get the six BD specials as well. I highly doubt a second season will be made as the original manga ended two years ago and the follow up manga ended with just one volume. Enjoyed the series overall
even though a good portion of the manga cast was nonexistent
and will gladly add it to my collection along side the eleven manga volumes I own. Still need to try to pick up the Drama CD.

Jarmel

Banned
Great episodes of SD:4,10, 12, 13
Good episodes of SD:2,5,7, first half of 8
Bad episodes of SD:1,3,6, latter half of 8
Weird episodes of SD:9,11

Take this ratio for what you will. It's a truly episodic show in almost every sense of the word so as you can imagine with a host of different staff, an episode's quality will fluctuate drastically.

The first half is much weaker as a whole compared to the 2nd half though.

cnet128

Banned
Started watching Saki, and we need a Hanafuda anime as well, this is gold.

Chihayafuru is the closest youll get and its wonderful. One of my favorites.

Well, really I think Summer Wars is the closest you'll get.

But Chihayafuru is indeed wonderful and probably the next closest thing.

Kanojo ga Flag o Oraretara 12
It might be because I'm still waking up, but this episode felt weird. I don't know how to describe it, but it was like the series just stopped making sense.

I think the real problem here is that you thought the series made sense to begin with xp

Jex

I think you're looking in the wrong place if you want Kill-Em-All-Tomino. That Tomino died when he mellowed into old age and started to appreciate his marriage more. Now it's all about Wacky-Fun-Times-Tomino where he does all sorts of goofball stuff with mechs, while showing the willpower and joy that children have.
I don't know if it's intentional or not, but someone could read that as implying that Tomino didn't have a ton of goody stuff before - he absolutely did. Obviously the "kill 'em all stuff" is now missing so there's no contrast.

Jarmel

Banned
I have no faith in Tomino no matter what tone he writes or directs. All I hope for is that his input isn't bad enough to stink up the joint, to the point where it interferes with my eyes watching Yoshida's beautiful art.

Chariot

Well, really I think Summer Wars is the closest you'll get.

But Chihayafuru is indeed wonderful and probably the next closest thing.
While it's has Hanafuda, it's not really selling the tournament- and battle feel that Saki and Chihayafuru have.

Midonin

M3 09-10

After the
Eva-like twist that the mecha are piloted by the departed
that episode 9 revealed, I've become a little more interested in the series. It's not terribly engaging still, but now it makes a bit more sense of exactly what's going on, how the synchronization works, that sort of thing. Like this episode. That meeting with Emiru actually got something of an emotional reaction out of me. Slowly but surely, it's revealing itself to be more than I thought.

But I'm really, really thinking about starting up Captain Earth soon.

Sailor Moon 14

Was the 3rd one of Queen Beryl's a girl in the English dub? They're clearly going for effeminate guy in Japanese which threw me off because I remember that character being a girl.

Overall it was nice to have a solo episode for Usagi done well, also we got a tease for something going wrong with Tuxedo Mask's power which IIRC becomes a bigger plot point later in this season. Not a big fan of the new villain he seems pretty generic.

All in all a solid episode but not as good as 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom