• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Second half of Gurren Lagann is great. It's a shaky transition but it's still fantastic stuff.

Personally, I liked the first half more as it's more of a down-to-earth adventure, despite that one episode where the artists were seemingly on crack.

Lord Genome is also a much better antagonist than the Anti-Spiral or Rossiu.

Jintor

Personally, I liked the first half more as it's more of a down-to-earth adventure, despite that one episode where the artists were seemingly on crack.

Lord Genome is also a much better antagonist than the Anti-Spiral or Rossiu.

You're right, but I feel like that's because part two experiments with structure more so it loses its directness

Firemind

I guess. It just didn't work for me as the plot device made no sense to me. Well, yes, arrest the guy who saved your sorry ass from extinction. Then the Anti-Spiral just sort of appeared. The ending was also fairly weak. It had its moments though as a whole.

Theonik

Take this.
iKDg6Tg1Lbr2E.png
Miyukichi had terrifying powers even then.

Thoraxes

Speaking of 765PRO, I knew for a long time that Yukiho had two voice actresses. Since I was only exposed to Yukiho with her second voice actress (via the anime) I've been only listening to songs with her, until I heard this one from her previous voice actress:

inferno

I'm so conflicted

Regardless of your voice choice, you've chosen the best girl.

Congratulations.
Anybody else like the instrumental versions of anime OP/ED songs? It varies from genre to genre but sometimes they're even better than the normal versions.

I do for a lot of them because I like to sing to them in my car on the way to work.

Yelling SO NO CHI NO SADAMEEEE

JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJO

as loud as you can is the best feeling in the world, and don't let anybody tell you it isn't.

I've never been impressed with any of the Gundam OSTs, they've always been middling/forgettable for the most part.

I though Kow Otani did a kick-ass job with Wing and the King Philharmonic Orchestra.

/XX/

I'm going to miss 765PRO, heard of Cinderella Girls but never any of their songs/games whatnot, hopefully I'll enjoy it. And knowing its made by A-1 again puts CG model travesties to rest, bring meh the 2D choreography!
A-1 is as guilty of CG travesties as any other studio.
True, but I haven't seen A-1 produce anime with CG model characters >> which is alright with me. Unless they have, which in that case...

Please no CG choreography...
The truth is I am concerned about the lack of a main role for Atsushi Nishigori... so I'm not sure we can definitely use the previous THE IDOLM@STER series as definitive proof of what will happen next!

Ewww no, and I say this as someone who thinks this might be my least disliked Sawano soundtrack. :p
Is that opinion one that includes his work for the Blue Exorcist franchise?

TheRancor

Is that opinion one that includes his work for the Blue Exorcist franchise?
I was only exposed to it in the Blue Exorcist movie. Indifference might be the most appropriate response rather than outright dislike I suppose.

I do for a lot of them because I like to sing to them in my car on the way to work.

Yelling SO NO CHI NO SADAMEEEE

JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJO

as loud as you can is the best feeling in the world, and don't let anybody tell you it isn't.

I though Kow Otani did a kick-ass job with Wing and the King Philharmonic Orchestra.
It's funny you mentioned Kow Otani in the same post because apparently he did the arrangement for "Sono Chi no Sadame" from Kohei Tanaka's composition. http://vgmdb.net/album/35576

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 7:

Ah, so we come to the final episode of focusing on Usagi as a solitary hero and this was alright. Not a complete waste of time as we actually focused on the regular cast and I think Umino has learned a few things about himself that he didn't before. Also, shockingly modern episode with ordering posters over the internet and 5-Hour Energy Drinks being advertised. I think my favorite bit was the Luna-Usagi interplay highlighting the clash of Usagi as a superheroine and that of a middle school girl, something that Luna seems to forget sometimes. Anyway, Tuxedo Kamen makes his return but I didn't have as big of a problem with his interference this time around since he acted more like a team player then the rescuer of damsels. Overall this episode is mildly recommended but if you want to skip right to Episode 8 I do not blame you.

Theonik

Kino's Journey 00
This was an interesting episode. The giant tower parallel was pretty interesting and the protagonists characters seem pretty interesting as well thus far. Some pretty interesting stylistic choices going on as well like the shadow mask effect.

cajunator

Banned
I can name a number of shows that did the proverbial 'shit on the bed.'

Neon Genesis Evangelion
KareKano
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
Gurren Lagann
Panty and Stocking

Huh. They're all Gainax productions. What a coincidence.

Meanie :(
Youre right though. mostly.
Gainax couldnt help but inject a bit of stupid into every show.

Maid outfit = Nana Abe
On Kanako's left holding a book = Chieri Ogata
On meido's right with the ahoge = Miho Kohinata
Blonde hair holding the cup of tea = Momoka Sakurai

For the record, Sachiko and Mayu (the yandere) are top tier. A few of the others have potential, particularly Momoka.

9742856341a5e3a.jpg

Would it surprise you if I posted something from Date A Live? It is pretty fantastic though.

Much appreciate the guide to Cinderella Girls. I dont see any of my top tier favorites in that picture unfortunately.

Miyukichi had terrifying powers even then.

Yeah she did!
uGctNsL.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 8:

Finally, fucking finally we get to the episode I have been waiting weeks to get towards, indeed it is at last the debut of Ami as Sailor Mercury. That alone give this episode an automatic recommendation but we also get some genuine story intrigue as we see Luna communicate with some unknown agency about the status of the grand mission. In contrast to Episode 7, this one can not help but be dated back to the 1990s for showcasing the hot new technology of 3 1/4 double density floppy disk, such is the way of technology highlights. Anyway, the actual plot is pretty typical monster of the week stuff, though I can't help but feel that the weekly spiel between Jadeite and Beryl got very meta-textual there. Speaking of contrasts the shy and demure Ami makes for a good personality contrast to the brash and obnoxious Usagi. Indeed thank god we can stop giving Usagi all of the fucking screen time, watching this eight episodes I get what they were going for, but that does not make her much less of a hot mess of a chracter in the grand scheme of things. Anyway, this episode comes with a mark of absolutely essential viewing and should not be missed when watching the full series.

wonzo

Banned

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Theonik

So, this were the news regarding Stella Jogakuin:

Twitter / stella_c3bu: そう…夏といえばTVアニメ「ステラ女学院高等科C³部」!ニコ ...
https://twitter.com/stella_c3bu/stat...95562809544704

An announcement of a re-airing at niconico (http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv181222659)...
So is my dream of NeoGAINAX finally being put out of its misery still ways off then?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Shard: They made condensed movies of every season of Sailor Moon, skipping almost all "non-plot" stuff.

They suck, though. :p

sonicmj1

Spice and Wolf 8

Holo is adorable as always. And the negotiation over the pepper was another good twist.

iHnZJ3sx3RAQG.jpg
ibiWbpC0134Wlz.jpg

I like how her tail wagged under her clothes when she got excited.

I like how they built tension towards the end of the episode, only to surprise and intentionally undercut it a bit at the last minute. I can't wait to learn more about this shepherd.

Hero Bank Episode 9
BpHvtYPCMAA3VuV.png

This Trick Suit battle was my favorite one yet. Seeing the training from previous come into play as wella s some silly Ina Bauer etc antics is really what was needed after last weeks saddening and intense events.

sonicmj1

One Week Friends 5-6

Saki's airhead moe cuts through the knots that Hase is too timid to even start unraveling. Dude's gotta get it together.

ibsK6up6Rg0At5.jpg

If only there were people trained in dealing with mental health issues you could go to...

This picture actually inspired me to do a little bit of internet research into the state of mental health care in Japan, and while it's not a promising picture (strong social stigma around mental illness, limited amount of community mental health services, long history of treating serious cases by keeping people committed in hospitals), therapists and such do exist. But now I understand what motivates Japanese people to avoid them. It's really too bad.

This episode kind of sets the stage for possibly "solving" her trauma as an endpoint to the show, which could be a dangerous road.

sonicmj1

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - 4

This got so heavy so fast! Tuesday can't come soon enough.

Yeah, things have really come together in the last two episodes. Al's naivete works a lot better when placed against the backdrop of Bernie's covert mission than it did against a city in the aftermath of an honest-to-god fight between mobile suits. And they definitely built enough in those episodes that the moment when things finally got out of control, it felt meaningful.

I understand why the people making the show would have wanted giant robots fighting in the colony earlier rather than later, but I think things would have worked better if they'd kept the conflict more distant until this episode, just so that dissonance from early on wasn't an issue.

TUSR

Banned
The End of Evangelion

So if im understanding this right... Shinji and Asuka were inside the Evas and were returned to their human forms after the third impact. And all other life forms have the ability to come back as well if they choose to?

Sailor Moon 04

Well... That's one evil looking machine if I've ever seen one.

And it's the first time Sailor Moon saves the day without help from Tuxedo Mask. Not sure Usagi needs to diet either :p

mankoto

Ah geez, Mario Kart 8 made me forget that the internet exists. Had to do a mini marathon to catch up to the stuff I'm watching. I won't post my thoughts on all of them, but just some that I really enjoyrf

Isshukan Friends 09
Well there goes my peaceful and carefree show. Things are going to get really interesting now. I normally don't mind the childhood friend trope, but this time it's not okay. Things were going so well...

Selector Infected WIXOSS 09
Well this confirms all of my suspicions from the ending of the last episode. How long is going to be again? It really feels like they can coast this for 24 episodes if done right. There so many things left undone for it end in the next 4.

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii 08
I actually enjoyed this one more than the previous episodes. I might start reading the manga when the series stops airing. According mangaupdates only 19 chapters are translated. I hope they don't drop the manga when the anime ends. I really hate when that happens.

Oh, and are Captain Earth or Broken Blade any good? It just hit me that I'm not watching anything Mecha related. So I've been thinking about starting one of them, or maybe even both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom