• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Someone needs to tell the Love Live choreographer what symmetry is.
kSwzrkr.jpg
Unless like...there is an in world justification that the members of μ's are just terrible dancers. The actual 2D animation flourishes that focus on one character where they do a unique nonsensical spasm are bad enough, but why are CG characters preforming an identical move so out of sync?
At one point they use a single snowflake falling in front of the camera to provide a character wipe when they go from 2D to CG. It's pretty hilarious.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a recommendation. I've been in the mood for some anime lately and I started watching Death Note again. It's fun and I enjoy it, but I'm looking for something else. I would love it if there was an anime that was mature and a bit more on the serious side. I love paranormal stuff, but I'm not a huge fan of fantasy anime. Not a fan of the pedo stuff either.

I'm thinking sci-fi (is Ghost in the Shell good? Isn't it too outdated?) or thriller/crime stuff. Great characters and a great story is a must.

Anime I've enjoyed in the past: Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Rahxephon, GetBackers, Death Note. Movies: Akira, Redline, ... It doesn't have to be a series, a movie is good as well.

Thanks!

Someone needs to tell the Love Live choreographer what symmetry is.

Unless like...there is an in world justification that the members of μ's are just terrible dancers. The actual 2D animation flourishes that focus on one character where they do a unique nonsensical spasm are bad enough, but why are CG characters preforming an identical move so out of sync?

At one point they use a single snowflake falling in front of the camera to provide a character wipe when they go from 2D to CG. It's pretty hilarious.

Maybe it's to make it seem more human? Although I've seen better symmetry from human dancers...

Hey guys, I'm looking for a recommendation. I've been in the mood for some anime lately and I started watching Death Note again. It's fun and I enjoy it, but I'm looking for something else. I would love it if there was an anime that was mature and a bit more on the serious side. I love paranormal stuff, but I'm not a huge fan of fantasy anime. Not a fan of the pedo stuff either.

I'm thinking sci-fi (is Ghost in the Shell good? Isn't it too outdated?) or thriller/crime stuff. Great characters and a great story is a must.

Anime I've enjoyed in the past: Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Rahxephon, GetBackers, Death Note. Movies: Akira, Redline, ... It doesn't have to be a series, a movie is good as well.

Thanks!

Ghost in the shell (movies, series)
Texhnolyze
Ghost Hound

Anime I've enjoyed in the past: Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Rahxephon, GetBackers, Death Note.

Thanks!

Fate/Zero do it, I would recommend Higurashi no Naku Koro ni which is a thriller/crime/horror/mindfuck but it consists of almost-entirely female cast (protag being a male of course) and its animation is a bit bleh in the non-horror bits.

Regardless of your voice choice, you've chosen the best girl.

Congratulations.

I admit I do lean towards Yukiho but otherwise its still up in the air between her and Chihaya.

I would love it if there was an anime that was mature and a bit more on the serious side. I love paranormal stuff, but I'm not a huge fan of fantasy anime. Not a fan of the pedo stuff either.

Thanks!

Madoka Magica should fit that quite nicely.

Also, Gurren Lagann if you haven't seen it. Not exactly the mature and serious thing that you're looking for, but everybody should watch Gurren Lagann.

EDIT:

Great characters and a great story is a must.

Actually, Gurren Lagann fits this quite well.

cnet128

Banned

I'm thinking sci-fi (is Ghost in the Shell good? Isn't it too outdated?) or thriller/crime stuff.

Thanks!

Oh, just go watch Psycho-Pass...

Great characters and a great story is a must.

…Never mind.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
If he's having trouble with the pacing of the series during the section where the anime is trying to rush through the manga he's going to really be suffer when he reaches the part where the anime is trying to stretch the manga material out.

Well that's ominous.

It's not the idea that episodes can be skipped, but the criteria for determining which.

Are there baby plesiosaurs?

[ X ] yes
[ ] no

Westlo

Happy birthday to THE Miyukichi.

Miyukichi da gawd's birthday, time to watch some miyukichi.

I never did watch the final arc of Kokoro Connect.... Inaban best girl so hard.

Whatever. I'm all about that Unicron Sound Track. Probably one of the best, catchiest soundtracks in UC.

Never got this nonsense Sawano hate, tho.

Because everything after Guilty Crown has been a retread of that score.

He got lots of love for Unicorn, Ao no Exorcist, Basara and Guilty Crown, it's everything after that's started to suck.

06-08 = Mediocre Sawano
09-11 = Great Sawano
12-Now = Shit/Cookie cutter Sawano

He'll never get back to the heights he had in 09-11.

cajunator

Banned
gais halp i can't stop listening to snow halation

Its quite catchy isnt it?

Thanks!

For something a bit different but still paranormal/mature, watch From The New World. Its a quite disturbing and unsettling atmosphere but very good.

Miyukichi da gawd's birthday, time to watch some miyukichi.

I never did watch the final arc of Kokoro Connect.... Inaban best girl so hard.

Because everything after Guilty Crown has been a retread of that score.

He got lots of love for Unicorn, Ao no Exorcist, Basara and Guilty Crown, it's everything after that's started to suck.

06-08 = Mediocre Sawano
09-11 = Great Sawano
12-Now = Shit/Cookie cutter Sawano

He'll never get back to the heights he had in 09-11.

God yes. I have a figurine of Inaban. So best.

Superflat

I like Sawano ) :

I think Sawano is still good, even if he sticks closely to one style. It's effective and dramatic, and it works well in shows that need that sound. He's basically the Danny Elfman of anime, or a lesser Hans Zimmer; two film composers you can pretty much immediately pick out because it sounds so close to the last movie they scored.

Kill la Kill - 12

I'm which Mako breaks Ryuko's neck a billion times.

Despite not really going anywhere with this one, I feel it's a really good end to the first half of the series, and outside of a few hiccups auth it's narrative flow in the beginning, it was a good first half. Mako makes this not only a great episode, but a great show overall.

Ghost in the shell (movies, series)
Texhnolyze
Ghost Hound

Fate/Zero do it, I would recommend Higurashi no Naku Koro ni which is a thriller/crime/horror/mindfuck but it consists of almost-entirely female cast (protag being a male of course) and its animation is a bit bleh in the non-horror bits.

Madoka Magica should fit that quite nicely.

Also, Gurren Lagann if you haven't seen it. Not exactly the mature and serious thing that you're looking for, but everybody should watch Gurren Lagann.

EDIT:

Actually, Gurren Lagann fits this quite well.

Oh, just go watch Psycho-Pass...

…Never mind.

Its quite catchy isnt it?

For something a bit different but still paranormal/mature, watch From The New World. Its a quite disturbing and unsettling atmosphere but very good.

Wow, that was fast. Thanks a lot guys, I know what I'm doing tonight!

phaze

Gunbuster 1-6 END

1365037897073ipoml.gif

Well played Anno, well played.

;_;

You know, three episodes in I wasn't overly impressed with the show. It's your rather standard from zero to hero fare. Against all odds young Noriko graduates the military academy and joins the fight against space monsters that threaten humanity with destruction. There are robots, loudly yelled attack names, Senpai drama, cheesy love plot line and an unholy amount of nudity that puts Bake and Nisemonogatari to shame. I feel like the show would really benefit from a few additional eps to let audience attach themselves more to the main characters and flesh out: the side ones, the love story and that one guy from ep 3 whose name I didn't even manage to remember. As it is the show's characters feel undeveloped and the events, especially in the second half, rushed. About the only thing that I liked was their interesting take on the time dilation and its consequences for people in space.

Fortunately things pick up from episode 4 on. The 5th chapter and the monochrome finale especially were really great, sporting some truly impressive visuals. Things get darker, Noriko
gets to experience the passing of time
and the creators did really well to tug on the viewers heartstrings with the Coachie. (Does he even have a name ? :p)

Nothing though, quite prepared me for the last 2 minutes of the finale. When,
after a moment of uncertainty and despair, the world lighted up
I teared like a baby. Amazing stuff.

Though I can't help but think they messed up with the space physics to give us that ending. If Noriko and Kazumi managed to escape the black hole why didn't they arrive a few days/months/years behind the fleet ? If it was overcoming that black hole that took them so long then what stops the Space monsters from escaping as well ?

Mature

If the world you come back to is
Rebuild
, can you really say you're alive?
Yes, but only in a fleeting and superficial light. Hopefully I'd be able to recognize that things could never be the way they were and enjoy what's left.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
gais halp i can't stop listening to snow halation
SNOW HALATION BITCHES

Gunbuster 1-6 END

Nothing though, quite prepared me for the last 2 minutes of the finale. When,
after a moment of uncertainty and despair, the world lighted up
I teared like a baby. Amazing stuff.

Though I can't help but think they messed up with the space physics to give us that ending. If Noriko and Kazumi managed to escape the black hole why didn't they arrive a few days/months/years behind the fleet ? If it was overcoming that black hole that took them so long then what stops the Space monsters from escaping as well ?

This is where people tell you to watch Diebuster, for reasons.

Fairy Tail Epsidoes 1 -32 impressions

Enjoyed it far more than I thought I would! I don't watch very much shonen, so even if it's pretty "par for the course" shonen as others say, I quite enjoyed it.

Natsu is adorable with the travel sickness, Happy is too adorable, Lucy cute, Erza is hnnngh, and Juvia is hilarious. Can't wait to see more of her especially.

I liked the arc about Gray's old teacher, had plenty of feel moments. I like the Japanese voice cast quite a bit too. Glad there's plenty more for me to watch here.

Theonik

The time difference isn't that Noriko was delayed. The ships are all capable of faster than light travel via warping, whereas the Gunbuster is not.

cajunator

Banned
Wow, that was fast. Thanks a lot guys, I know what I'm doing tonight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIoah1E5o4o

Fairy Tail Epsidoes 1 -32 impressions

Enjoyed it far more than I thought I would! I don't watch very much shonen, so even if it's pretty "par for the course" shonen as others say, I quite enjoyed it.

Natsu is adorable with the travel sickness, Happy is too adorable, Lucy cute, Erza is hnnngh, and Juvia is hilarious. Can't wait to see more of her especially.

I liked the arc about Gray's old teacher, had plenty of feel moments. I like the Japanese voice cast quite a bit too. Glad there's plenty more for me to watch here.

OH DEAR GOD YOUR MAKOTO AVATAR HNNNNGH

Jarmel

Banned
Sawano wouldn't be so hated if he wasn't so disgustingly prolific. Not only does he create pretty bad music (for the most part) but he does it for all your favourite shows!

Ugh. That's indeed part of the problem in that he's doing the score for X as well. Really not happy about that one. Also directors really don't utilize the good work that he does and wrongly place the bad stuff that he does.

Edit: But of course my sister comes over now and asks if I've watched AoT and is saying how she loves the music.

Branduil

Sawano wouldn't be so hated if he wasn't so disgustingly prolific. Not only does he create pretty bad music (for the most part) but he does it for all your favourite shows!

He would get a lot less hate if he stopped trying to write pop music.

Crocodile

I dunno, I can't hate Sawano too much. He certainly has a fair number of misses but the few songs he hits with he REALLY knocks it out of the park. There are definitely a few songs in the AOT and KLK OSTs I can imagine listening to till the end of time :)

Was the Deadman Wonderland anime any good? I've been reading the manga, and noticed the anime is getting a Blu-Ray release next month.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Last night's Game of Thrones episode proved that
it never ends well for lancers.

I actually thought of the same joke earlier when someone on twitter posted this image with a "what if Butch Gen and GRRM teamed up?" caption:

8hszXAXl.jpg

(credit to @neontaster)

jgminto

Yowamushi Pedal 34
tumblr_n6k4o4qipS1t3w37po1_400.gif

USAGI-SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!! :'( Sad animal stories always get to me. Shinkai is definitely the best non-T2 character in the show, so dreamy. Lots of great Midousuji faces this episode, was awesome to see him get
destroyed by Shinkai.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kamigami no Asobi 9 had a ghost possess the main character so that she could talk to one of the reverse harem members and tell him to "Let it goooooo".

Shoujo is fucking amazing.

Man I keep forgetting that my awaited anime is only Tuesday through Thursday. So I guess today I can keep on watching Arrow, or finding manga to read. Or play Watch Dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom