• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

So... a licensed JoJo and English Dub, and a re-licensed Sailor Moon... what "when-pigs-fly" Anime thing is going to happen next?

Actually I think NISA licensing Cardcaptor Sakura out of nowhere and releasing a BD set was more unlikely than either of these.

any decent romance this season?

As somebody who romance in a show could be the difference between me continuing to watch or dropping it, no. This was a season where there wasn't a single decent romance that wasn't completely pandering to something.

I mean last season didn't have anything amazing, but Golden Time had decent scenes between Koko and Banri when there wasn't unnecessary drama. Also there was that show with the :cnet and the :cajun even if that was mostly cute instead of romance. I say this because Inari never got to best romance.

This season we almost had it with One Week Friends. But it should've changed its name to One Week Friend Zones

Articalys

Ping Pong

ohS5XlU.jpg
He certainly wins the award for best use of English by a 70-year-old Japanese guy, at least.

Clov

Actually I think NISA licensing Cardcaptor Sakura out of nowhere and releasing a BD set was more unlikely than either of these.

Yeah, that was a huge surprise. I had a feeling someone would give the series a Blu-Ray release over here, but I never would have guessed NISA. Can't wait for that to release, though it'll kill my wallet.

Sword Art Online - 13

This show makes the dumbest decisions.

"Oh sure, we could have started this episode with Kirito and Asuna being called back, build up the epic boss fight properly, and fight and finish the boss from the halfway point until the end. But instead, lets just fill the first half of this episode with some comedic fishing filler instead."

I mean WOW. You bring both Klein and Agil in this episode for what is supposed to be a huge boss fight only for it to transition into the ending.

It was actually kind of an awesome fight too, when it lasted! The last five minutes of this episode are what I should be seeing in this entire show. UGH.

One Week Friends 12

You know, I can see where people might not like this show It's a very slow show, and I'm usually not a fan of high-school-life shows without anything beyond character drama to pull it off, but y'know, I liked this show. There were ups and downs, interesting points and really dull ones, but the ending reminded me that I really liked this show.

I'm of a mind that the entire first episode could have been a one-shot short simply because going someplace with that admittedly awesome premise seems like it could have easily fizzled, but they did alright. They created an interesting and dynamic friendship in my opinion and it was subtle, but quietly brilliant.

Defuser

Why is WSJ keep greenlighting animes of their manga which I don't want. I don't want World trigger or Assclassrom, I want a Shokugeki no Soma anime and more Gintama.

kasane

so im watching this show with nanana

terraria ✓
phantasy star online ✓
tekken ✓

11/10 will continue

Why is WSJ keep greenlighting animes of their manga which I don't want. I don't want World trigger or Assclassrom, I want a Shokugeki no Soma anime and more Gintama.

because japan wants them and they're japan

Crocodile

Sword Art Online - 13

"Oh sure, we could have started this episode with Kirito and Asuna being called back, build up the epic boss fight properly, and fight and finish the boss from the halfway point until the end. But instead, lets just fill the first half of this episode with some comedic fishing filler instead."

I mean WOW. You bring both Klein and Agil in this episode for what is supposed to be a huge boss fight only for it to transition into the ending.

It was actually kind of an awesome fight too, when it lasted! The last five minutes of this episode are what I should be seeing in this entire show. UGH.

I'm going to enjoy reading your reaction to the next episode

4384998+_91d943911b27248904a79fc7f26413f1.jpg

Quasar

Sword Art Online - 13

I have to say I liked that whole fishing story. And really liked Nishida. It showed another side of what the folks not trying to kill themselves were doing to survive.

Quasar

I only got a few episodes in, but Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii has an unconventional romantic element in a fantasy setting and what I saw was decent regardless.

Yeah. It turned out my show of the season, as it didn't really have the rough spots One Week Friends had in the second half.

Conan-san

So... a licensed JoJo and English Dub, and a re-licensed Sailor Moon... what "when-pigs-fly" Anime thing is going to happen next?
I'm good for ether;

Pokemon adventures adaptation by David Productions that alternatives between parts of jojo's.

Or

All copies of Oriemo confiscated and shot to the sun.

I have to say I liked that whole fishing story. And really liked Nishida. It showed another side of what the folks not trying to kill themselves were doing to survive.

The fishing story itself was okay, it's what followed it that got me pissed off in frustration.

It's like they tried to squeeze in two episodes into one, I'm just left unsatisfied with the whole thing.

fertygo

Because those are the one that needed marketing push, don't worry Soma will get one too later.

Rhapsody

Banned
The fishing story itself was okay, it's what followed it that got me pissed off in frustration.

It's like they tried to squeeze in two episodes into one, I'm just left unsatisfied with the whole thing.

As an LN reader, I was really annoyed how they just shoved as much as they could in so little time.
You're going to hate what's to come btw lol

As far as that battle goes, I didn't really like how it concluded. Lots of stuff happen for no reason to conclude battles in SAO.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
No Game No Life Episode 8
woah, what, whats going on, omg i need to watch the next episode now, this show is so good guys

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Man, a longrunning Assassination Classroom is kind of weird.
I wonder if there'll be a lot of original stuff.

It's Toei; you'll be lucky to get one chapter per episode with multi-minute episode recaps. If One Piece is any indication, they've minimized the use of filler arcs in recent years and have shifted to simply slowing pacing to an agonizing crawl.

Man, a longrunning Assassination Classroom is kind of weird.
I wonder if there'll be a lot of original stuff.

I doubt it'll be longrunning. Pretty sure Matsui himself doesn't want the manga to last super long. 2015 is still a ways away, so it might even be done by the time the anime starts. If so, it could probably cover the entire series in 3-4 cours.

Quasar

You're not aware of the burgeoning Business Fantasy genre?

I guess 'I Couldn’t Become a Hero' counts. Though I guess not as its Fantasy Business, not Business Fantasy. We already have Magic Barristers, so I wonder when we'll get a Magic Accountants show.

Puchimas!! 67

Around the world with a bunch of puchimas.

Isshuukan Friends 12

Well, besides how adorable the beta couple is and how this is the least progression in terms of relationship out of any of the shows, I did like the ending. It wrapped things up in a low key manner and didn't drag too heavy with the drama.

Dog Days 06

Backstory and foreshadowing woe

Yokai Watch 15

Saunas and too much storytelling.

Yowamushi Pedal 37

Blah blah blah. Tongue guy is so boring as a villain.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
No Game No Life Episode 9
Aww the feels, and that last part was so cute!
I like how they showed sibling love without getting perverted this time.
Also, shiro HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGG

Busaiku

It's Toei; you'll be lucky to get one chapter per episode with multi-minute episode recaps. If One Piece is any indication, they've minimized the use of filler arcs in recent years and have shifted to simply slowing pacing to an agonizing crawl.
Yeah, but it kind of lends itself well to original stuff.
I doubt it'll be longrunning. Pretty sure Matsui himself doesn't want the manga to last super long. 2015 is still a ways away, so it might even be done by the time the anime starts. If so, it could probably cover the entire series in 3-4 cours.
Wouldn't that block mean it's probably gonna be longer.

Jex

So, I've been watching plenty of anime and not really posting about it because most of it isn't worth discussing. However, in the interest of completeness, I thought I should share my thoughts anyway.

Chaika

The reason that there's not much to say about this show is that it's fine. Just...fine. There's nothing amazing or memorable or stupid or horrible about it. This a thoroughly workman like series from BONES that utterly fails to stir the head or the heart and instead simply fills up 23 minutes of your week.

A few weeks after this show finishes airing (well, after it's second cour), I can't imagine that I'll retain any strong memory of this property. There's just nothing really worth remembering about this generic fantasy show with largely forgettable characters.

No Game No Life

I've already gone off on this before with regards to specific elements that I found objectionable, so I won't mention the here. I will however say that the show is enjoyably stupid nonsense most of the time, which is fine I suppose.

In terms of memorable content, episode 6 was definitely the best, featuring a rather exciting game that was also visually interesting. I don't know how they're really going to top that.

One important thing that I didn't touch on earlier was how shitty the visuals can be. As a number of you have, rightly, pointed out, the colour scheme is the major offender (Madhouse trying to do their best GoHands) but it's hardly the end of the shows visual problems.

The biggest offender next to the colour palette is the shot composition. Take a look at this ugly thing:

You should notice a few things here. Firstly, the extremely lazy shot composition with the characters all posed in a very basic way, objects are randomly thrown around the room and the camera positioned as if it was observing a play on stage.

Next up comes the composition of the visual elements in the scene. In this shot we've got the background art, the objects in the room and the characters themselves. Rather than have all these layers of objects nicely integrated with each other they've opened to make them stand out as being obviously distinct from each other. This is distracting because it makes everything look extremely fake because you can literally see the different layers that have been slapped together.

The most obvious example of this is the thick pink line which surrounds characters (and some objects) which makes them stand out. I suppose this is useful to make the characters clearly separate from the background but it's far too obvious and it wouldn't be needed if the background art wasn't so distractingly and colourful.

Speaking of obvious, it's really obvious that the straw in the corner of the shot is an image of a much lower resolution than the rest of the art in the room. This is even more obvious and ugly in this shot:

Just to show that I'm not being selective in my criticism, here's another shot from later in the same episode:

Leaving aside the off-model art and colours and the distracting layering of objects this shot is just a mess. The character is off from the centre of the frame and it looks like she's being shot from below because we can see the underside of the certain objects but the character herself doesn't look like she's being shot from a low angle because she's just flat. It really just looks like threw the background art ontop of the character without thinking about it. Moreover, the shot lacks focus and clarity. It's extremely messy with lots of different lines interesting randomly, especially to the right hand side of the frame. It just looks poorly thought out and lazy because they haven't tried to achieve anything at all with the visuals, at the very least you'd hope they'd be clean and clear.

This is more of a personal thing but I really don't dig the background art. All the human stuff is randomly covered with moss, which looks stupid because people are still living there, it's not abandoned. Moreover, there's no interesting visual cohesion to the buildings or scenery. It fails to either evoke classical building styles from a particular time or place (Greek, Tudor, Victorian, Italian - just nothing) and nor is it some unique style all of it's own. It's just kind of there. It doesn't tell you anything about the world or the people or invoke any reactions and the shots aren't even that interesting. Compare and contrast to the hit new animesTM:

Finally, the way the show is edited fails to create a sense of either time or space. We move from location to location seemingly at random without any attempt to build a world through visual continuity. I have no idea where characters are in relation to anything else in the world. For example, in the Palace we randomly cut between three or four different rooms which totally fails to convey the size of the building or how individual rooms relate. This is something that's easy to do in live action because you're just filming a real place but in animation you have to do build that space up to make it seem real and to ground the characters. I literally have no idea where the characters are half the time because there's very few establishing shots and the editing is so poor.

Hyouka 8

I am already getting sad at this shows eventual end. I like it so much. This show has the potential to leave "the void" similar to what Clannad did to me.

Anyways I am always amused when Chitanda becomes curious. She gets so into it and so passionate about mysteries. Oreki can solve this. I just know he can. ;)

I am actually curious to see how this ends too. :D

*My tablet still trying to autocorrect Oreki to Prekindergarten. Lol.

Narag

I've been exploring the world of shitty self-published amazon stuff for a while dredging for anything that shines (research for WritingGAF) and this seems entirely in line with that kind of material

Every time I get it in me to do this, I end up finishing with a new found appreciation for editors.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I've been exploring the world of shitty self-published amazon stuff for a while dredging for anything that shines (research for WritingGAF) and this seems entirely in line with that kind of material

I like that the author is not only the creator of the genre, but award winning in it!
This is more of a personal thing but I really don't dig the background art. All the human stuff is randomly covered with moss, which looks stupid because people are still living there, it's not abandoned. Moreover, there's no interesting visual cohesion to the buildings or scenery. It fails to either evoke classical building styles from a particular time or place (Greek, Tudor, Victorian, Italian - just nothing) and nor is it some unique style all of it's own. It's just kind of there. It doesn't tell you anything about the world or the people or invoke any reactions and the shots aren't even that interesting. Compare and contrast to the hit new animesTM:
Not to say that this is ever an aspect that should be completely ignored, but No Game No Life puts its characters far ahead of the world, which is more or less just a perfunctory construct to serve as a place for the plot to take place. The show is pretty light on building everything out as an environment, and most of the world's history is relayed through character plot points instead. I'm not going to say it works, but they kind of threw all their chips on the characters themselves.

Also, Kill la Kill and consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom