• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

ngnl1nhs9f.png
This is some Angel Beats-level art direction.

Some things never change.

I loved Angel Beats! art direction.

And that screenshot you really have to look for it (most won't even notice it). That was like a 2 second shot too. Nitpicking at its finest.

jgminto

And that screenshot you really have to look for it (most won't even notice it). That was like a 2 second shot too. Nitpicking at its finest.

The tiling maybe, but the perspective makes the copy paste hall pretty obvious.

wonzo

Banned

really not seeing how its nitpicky given how repulsively ugly it was the moment it poped up on screen

Shergal

It's easy to say that any one screen of Angel Beats is nitpicky, but think about the context. Literally every shot in the show is bad, you can't just upload 500 images!

Chariot

I sadly have no eye for such things, but I thought that Angel Beats! looked ok. The content was terrible very fast, but at least it was ok to look at. Then again, I even don't think the posted screenshot looks that bad.

Also, here a randomc review for more pictures.

Rhapsody

Banned
Angel Beats definitely had its lows in animation. The highs were great, but it wasn't consistent.
You can tell a lot of the budget went to certain scenes.

Articalys

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-24903.html

Love Live S2 volume 1 BD sales: 82,119

That's what a half-price volume + event ticket + mobage card code will do for you, I suppose. It's immediately almost the best-selling single volume in modern anime history (in fact, for BDs only, it's already the best-selling) and will nearly certainly become so next week.

Other numbers:

The Wind Rises BD/DVD -- 46,335/63,111
Gochiusa BD/DVD vol.1 -- 6,839/1,060
Gundam Build Fighters BD Box 2 -- 7,848
One Week Friends BD/DVD vol.1 -- 3,658/1,047

Still a lot of sales that got lost in the cutoff, so please wait for the full list on Thursday for further analysis.

It's easy to say that any one screen of Angel Beats is nitpicky, but think about the context. Literally every shot in the show is bad, you can't just upload 500 images!

You could say this about almost any anime depending on any given persons preference. But naturally the bolded is a radical over exaggeration. That would be like me saying The Tatami Galaxy is ugly with every shot. I don't particularly like its art style (I actually found it repulsive at times) but I don't go out of my way to find screenshots of a show I didn't like.

fertygo

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-24903.html

Love Live S2 volume 1 BD sales: 82,119

That's what a half-price volume + event ticket will do for you, I suppose. It's immediately almost the best-selling single volume in modern anime history and will nearly certainly become so next week.

Other numbers:

The Wind Rises BD/DVD -- 46,335/63,111
Gochiusa BD/DVD vol.1 -- 6,839/1,060
Gundam Build Fighters BD Box 2 -- 7,848
One Week Friends BD/DVD vol.1 -- 3,658/1,047

Still a lot of sales that got lost in the cutoff, so please wait for the full list on Thursday for further analysis.

Sheitttttttttttttt

dimb am cry lol

but yeah half price + concert ticket and all that, utapri did something similar iirc

btw is that 100% for GBF box 2?

raven777

82,119 Love Live!s2 v1

Top 10 21st century anime first week sales (before this week)

*1位 72,207 Bakemonogatari Tsubasa Cat 1
*2位 70,468 Bakemonogatari Nadeko Snake
*3位 66,121 Bakemonogatari Tsubasa Cat 2
*4位 63,289 Madoka v2
*5位 63,170 Gundam SEED DESTINY v13
*6位 62,041 Madoka v1
*7位 60.368 Madoka v3
*8位 60,189 Madoka v6
*9位 60,095 Madoka v4
10位 59,926 Bakemonogatari Suruga Monkey

BluWacky

I don't know what's worse. The tiles or the fact there was another flight of stairs built beside it that can't be entered or exited.

That's a water feature. The stairs are going up over the water - it's just difficult to tell from the picture, but it's quite a common thing to see.

It's not so much the copy-pasting that's irritating in that shot to me, it's how artificial it looks. It looks like a texture applied to a surface rather than something organically part of the background. Of course we've seen similar effects in many anime, even on foreground art (Gankutsuou, for instance) but in Gankutsuou it's used skilfully and stylishly, whereas here it just looks a bit lazy.

it's not the only time its used either!

abeats1b.jpg

abeats3b.jpg

Yeah they use the same tile images to layer it on, but to be honest if I was actually watching the show that minor detail would never resonate with me. With the hallway scene I know the only way I would have picked up on that would have been if someone pointed it out directly considering my eyes would be going back and fourth between the subtitles and the character moving around. The same goes with those tiles for the stairs. Honestly, I would probably only notice it while it was happening if I was already feeling nitpicky.

Chariot

When did LoveLive become so big?
When IdolGAF made it big.

And for everyone who didn't see Kyoukai no Kanata, here's the KyoAni Magic. I actually would look forward to see a KyoAni Idolanime, despite me waiting on more Keystuff and FMP. There animation is always so gorgegous and they now how to do cute girls (and boys, hello free).

And for everyone who didn't see Kyoukai no Kanata, here's the KyoAni Magic. I actually would look forward to see a KyoAni Idolanime, despite me waiting on more Keystuff and FMP. There animation is always so gorgegous and they now how to do cute girls (and boys, hello free).

The only Key adaptation left is Rewrite. Every other adaptation has been adapted to anime. Angel Beats was an original IP and was the exception.

I'd love for KyoAni to do Rewrite though...

Shergal

You could say this about almost any anime depending on any given persons preference. But naturally the bolded is a radical over exaggeration. That would be like me saying The Tatami Galaxy is ugly with every shot. I don't particularly like its art style (I actually found it repulsive at times) but I don't go out of my way to find screenshots of a show I didn't like.

Preference and taste is one thing, but there are standards of quality in an animated production, standards that Angel Beats doesn't come close to meeting. IIRC it's not even arguable, back when it aired it was known for its scheduling and production problems all over the place. Kyoani's Key shows are something where you can argue from taste whether or not it looks good, but it's undeniable that they are very well-made. That kind of look is what AB! was going for, but it failed astronomically when it came to production quality.

Chariot

The only Key adaptation left is Rewrite. Every other adaptation has been adapted to anime. Angel Beats was an original IP and was the exception.

I'd love for KyoAni to do Rewrite though...
That doesen't stop me from waiting. I was so sad when I heard that Little Busters wasn't made by KyoAni.

jman2050

KyoAni is too busy not adapting good material and trying to peddle their own wares to worry about jumping on the idol bandwagon.

Rhapsody

Banned

We're never getting that next FMP season :/

I've lost all hope after hearing Amagi Brilliant Park.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My favourite lazy background in from Daily Lives of High School Boys where they literally Googled for an image of an English street and fed it through a photo filter. You can even see a Foxton's street agent for sale sign outside one of the houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom