• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

At the start of each episode of Kemonozume there was a little "vignette", usually involving a shokujinki. This is one of the more straightforward ones - some were more stylised (this one was done by Eunyoung Choi, one of Yuasa's major collaborators and the animator of the ED for Ping Pong), some a little repetitive (by Satoru Utsunomiya, who draws very odd "cuboid" faces with strange facial expressions but is an excellent animator regardless), and various others that I can't find on Youtube or Dailymotion at present (I think one involved boxing?).

It was broadcast at I time I didn't really watch anime. All I saw that season was Nichijou.

Take some pain relief.
I remember when I didn't watch as much anime. I had a bigger social life. I really got into it this last couple of months since all my friends graduated and no amazing games were coming out. I've gone through most of the backlog I absolutely needed to go through now though.

Girls und Panzer 03

oy1w14o.jpg

EnvZusu.jpg

Some training in this episode and based on how well they shoot they seem to need it :p

The uh... A-Team gets a new member, which is one of the sleepiest characters I've seen since Nayuki in Kanon, and Nishizumi gets a promotion. Oh, and they're already gonna have a battle against another school after less than a week of training or so I guess?

cereal_killerxx

Sidonia, No Game No Life and Love Live S2 (which is significantly better than S1 and you should watch S1 if you haven't). Maybe JoJo S2 but the slow pace means that it's less gripping to watch than S1. Haikyuu is not bad too but it's also pretty slow paced and needs some patience to watch.

I think I'll check out Sidonia and No Game No Life. I've never seen JoJo but I've heard mixed things.

Syrinx

Girls und Panzer 03

Some training in this episode and based on how well they shoot they seem to need it :p

The uh... A-Team gets a new member, which is one of the sleepiest characters I've seen since Nayuki in Kanon, and Nishizumi gets a promotion. Oh, and they're already gonna have a battle against another school after less than a week of training or so I guess?

No joke: I would totally roll in a pink tank.

Jarmel

Banned
Sword Art Online – 14
That’d be like fighting Nomura in Kingdom Hearts.
I know a number of people that would pay top dollar for that.
No? We’re going to end this fight with an anti-climatic stab? Really? UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH.

Oh, now they’re in digital heaven now? Sure, whatevs.

Wait…you what? No. What do you mean you forgot the reason why you trapped everybody in your sick digital fantasy world? You can’t forget! It’s perfectly clear for anyone that you had a sick, twisted, demented mind that you wanted a bunch of people to join you in your little happy land forever and ever! YOU MUST BE GOING?!? WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU MUST BE GOING? YOU'VE GOT 4000 MURDER CHARGES ON YOUR HEAD MISTER! ARE YOU NOT EVEN GOING TO GIVE AT LEAST A HALF-ASSED APOLOGY?!? LIVES WERE RUINED BECAUSE OF YOU!!!!!!

Like, I knew there was no reason why the guy did it going into this show but REALLY?!?

WELP.

Shit never gets old.

Midonin

Black Bullet 11-12

People are falling left and right here. The return of Kagetane does shake things up a little bit, and even he may have some ideas about working for the good side if it suits his agenda, but this is by far the most "warlike" the show has been. Which, as it turns out, leaves me with very little to say. More thoughts once I see how things wrap up next week.

Theonik

Interesting
!

It was Virtua Fighter! VIRTUA FIGHTER!

I don't see it. I think you're reaching.
PshycoNinja
Blind
(Today, 09:13 AM)

When did LoveLive become so big?
When the phone game got a western release and every wanabe weeb got it since they can't play THE iDOLM@STER.

No joke: I would totally roll in a pink tank.
It's bad urban camo! That was a large point in the episodes too!

When the phone game got a western release and every wanabe weeb got it since they can't play THE iDOLM@STER.

I thought the show was fine when I first watched S1 but definitely "appreciate" it more after falling down the deep, dark, shameful hole that is the mobile game.

Theonik

I thought the show was fine when I first watched S1 but definitely "appreciate" it more after falling down the deep, dark, shameful hole that is the mobile game.
Eh the question is about it blowing up. The appreciation when the show was airing wasn't even a fraction of this. The problem of course is that the game itself is shit.

Looks like they used something called Desert Pink Z.I. for a while:
http://www.kerynne.com/games/BritishMEColours.html

It's not bright pink though :p

Some spy planes were painted pink too and even some ships it seems.
Desert Pink actually comes up on one of the specials believe it or not!

Link Man

Banned
Black Bullet 12

Well, that was easy.

A battle between 2D and 3D. It feels like they're saying something here.

Oh. Oh no.
Poor Cajun.

Ooh, nice analogy.

wat

Also, in preparation for next week:

ibizPXkOqPJhz1.jpg

Girls und Panzer 04

And as always, there's always time for some tea.

There's also time for volleyball, playing cards and catching some rays. The tanks rolls into town and there's suburban warfare. Guess the government or somebody pays for all the collateral damage since the people in the town wants their shops to get destroyed. The A-Team takes out 3 tanks and there's spilled tea, and then it's off to the national games. Things sure moves fast.

Just finish watching Kimi no iru machi. I am disappointed in this anime adaptation :( I read through the entire manga and loved it. Way too rush, compressed and alot of arcs were missing :/

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So, apparently the final Humanity Has Declined LN released, and, uhh.............what?

Watashi and the rest of the current "human" race are the real fairies that have replaced humanity, and the fairies that Watashi and co. study are simply manifestations of their energy. The real fairies' culture resembles that of humanity's exactly because, true to the depiction of the "energy" fairies in the show, fairies adapt through imitation. Assistant-kun was the last survivor of the real human race.

So, apparently the final Humanity Has Declined LN released, and, uhh.............what?

Watashi and the rest of the current "human" race are the real fairies that have replaced humanity, and the fairies that Watashi and co. study are simply manifestations of their energy. The real fairies' culture resembles that of humanity's exactly because, true to the depiction of the "energy" fairies in the show, fairies adapt through imitation. Assistant-kun was the last survivor of the real human race.

I need to get it!

cajunator

Banned
Actually I think NISA licensing Cardcaptor Sakura out of nowhere and releasing a BD set was more unlikely than either of these.

I expected it eventually but not this suddenly. But then again, now is not "suddenly" it has taken over a decade!

Yeah, that was a huge surprise. I had a feeling someone would give the series a Blu-Ray release over here, but I never would have guessed NISA. Can't wait for that to release, though it'll kill my wallet.

I am soooo excited trhat NISA got it but it makes me wonder given how they package things how many releases it will be and how they will divide it up given the two thinpack nature of their current releases. they havent attempted a release of this size before.

Fairy Tail Episode 72

Nb771kA.png

Oh Juvia....you poor, poor dear.

Juvia and Levy are the only reasons I want to see Fairy Tail but theyre good ones!

So, I've been watching plenty of anime and not really posting about it because most of it isn't worth discussing. However, in the interest of completeness, I thought I should share my thoughts anyway.

Chaika

The reason that there's not much to say about this show is that it's fine. Just...fine. There's nothing amazing or memorable or stupid or horrible about it. This a thoroughly workman like series from BONES that utterly fails to stir the head or the heart and instead simply fills up 23 minutes of your week.

A few weeks after this show finishes airing (well, after it's second cour), I can't imagine that I'll retain any strong memory of this property. There's just nothing really worth remembering about this generic fantasy show with largely forgettable characters.

No Game No Life

I've already gone off on this before with regards to specific elements that I found objectionable, so I won't mention the here. I will however say that the show is enjoyably stupid nonsense most of the time, which is fine I suppose.

In terms of memorable content, episode 6 was definitely the best, featuring a rather exciting game that was also visually interesting. I don't know how they're really going to top that.

One important thing that I didn't touch on earlier was how shitty the visuals can be. As a number of you have, rightly, pointed out, the colour scheme is the major offender (Madhouse trying to do their best GoHands) but it's hardly the end of the shows visual problems.

The biggest offender next to the colour palette is the shot composition. Take a look at this ugly thing:

You should notice a few things here. Firstly, the extremely lazy shot composition with the characters all posed in a very basic way, objects are randomly thrown around the room and the camera positioned as if it was observing a play on stage.

Next up comes the composition of the visual elements in the scene. In this shot we've got the background art, the objects in the room and the characters themselves. Rather than have all these layers of objects nicely integrated with each other they've opened to make them stand out as being obviously distinct from each other. This is distracting because it makes everything look extremely fake because you can literally see the different layers that have been slapped together.

The most obvious example of this is the thick pink line which surrounds characters (and some objects) which makes them stand out. I suppose this is useful to make the characters clearly separate from the background but it's far too obvious and it wouldn't be needed if the background art wasn't so distractingly and colourful.

Speaking of obvious, it's really obvious that the straw in the corner of the shot is an image of a much lower resolution than the rest of the art in the room. This is even more obvious and ugly in this shot:

Just to show that I'm not being selective in my criticism, here's another shot from later in the same episode:

Leaving aside the off-model art and colours and the distracting layering of objects this shot is just a mess. The character is off from the centre of the frame and it looks like she's being shot from below because we can see the underside of the certain objects but the character herself doesn't look like she's being shot from a low angle because she's just flat. It really just looks like threw the background art ontop of the character without thinking about it. Moreover, the shot lacks focus and clarity. It's extremely messy with lots of different lines interesting randomly, especially to the right hand side of the frame. It just looks poorly thought out and lazy because they haven't tried to achieve anything at all with the visuals, at the very least you'd hope they'd be clean and clear.

This is more of a personal thing but I really don't dig the background art. All the human stuff is randomly covered with moss, which looks stupid because people are still living there, it's not abandoned. Moreover, there's no interesting visual cohesion to the buildings or scenery. It fails to either evoke classical building styles from a particular time or place (Greek, Tudor, Victorian, Italian - just nothing) and nor is it some unique style all of it's own. It's just kind of there. It doesn't tell you anything about the world or the people or invoke any reactions and the shots aren't even that interesting. Compare and contrast to the hit new animesTM:

Finally, the way the show is edited fails to create a sense of either time or space. We move from location to location seemingly at random without any attempt to build a world through visual continuity. I have no idea where characters are in relation to anything else in the world. For example, in the Palace we randomly cut between three or four different rooms which totally fails to convey the size of the building or how individual rooms relate. This is something that's easy to do in live action because you're just filming a real place but in animation you have to do build that space up to make it seem real and to ground the characters. I literally have no idea where the characters are half the time because there's very few establishing shots and the editing is so poor.

At least you are watching the good shows now. thats improvement, Jex.

hey now its not that bad

abeats2c.jpg

"hey im just gonna run the tile filter for these walls and just copy paste the first bit of the hall to make it look longer"

Looks fine to me. Its a hallway shows for short duration. Why spend that much money/time on it when most wont notice?

it's not the only time its used either!

abeats1b.jpg

abeats3b.jpg

This shot was worse but still its just an outdoor setting shot from far off. I see this kind of corner cutting in anime all the time.

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-24903.html

Love Live S2 volume 1 BD sales: 82,119

That's what a half-price volume + event ticket + mobage card code will do for you, I suppose. It's immediately almost the best-selling single volume in modern anime history (in fact, for BDs only, it's already the best-selling) and will nearly certainly become so next week.

Other numbers:

The Wind Rises BD/DVD -- 46,335/63,111
Gochiusa BD/DVD vol.1 -- 6,839/1,060
Gundam Build Fighters BD Box 2 -- 7,848
One Week Friends BD/DVD vol.1 -- 3,658/1,047

Still a lot of sales that got lost in the cutoff, so please wait for the full list on Thursday for further analysis.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

The power of Nico.

fuck yeah BEAR :D

Branduil is a troublemaker.

But yeah. Angel Beats was notorious for cutting corners with digital copy pasta, it... wasn't PA Work's finest moment.

Fortunately they redeemed themselves somewhat with Hanasaku Iroha a year later. And then again with Uchouten Kazoku.

HanaIro was GORGEOUS. I love the art style in that so much!

Got some Blu-rays in the mail today:

Wait, theres a bluray available for Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke? GIVE IT TO ME

Sword Art Online – 14

No.

Really? We're just going to have the final boss show up right here and now? Only just a little halfway through the show? Though I have to admit, making the creator of a game the final boss is pretty cool, I guess. That’d be like fighting Nomura in Kingdom Hearts.

Everyone is paralyzed! They can’t move!

Hey, the last time I saw someone’s girlfriend get her ass handed to her right in front of the hero, that was the time that hero did his ultimate transformation and started whooping everybody’s ass. (Kudos to you if you know which show I’m talking about ;))

Come on Kirito, break the rules and go super sayian or something! Asuna clearly broke the rules, and she wasn’t a beater (bahahaha)!

No? We’re going to end this fight with an anti-climatic stab? Really? UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH.

Oh, now they’re in digital heaven now? Sure, whatevs.

Wait…you what? No. What do you mean you forgot the reason why you trapped everybody in your sick digital fantasy world? You can’t forget! It’s perfectly clear for anyone that you had a sick, twisted, demented mind that you wanted a bunch of people to join you in your little happy land forever and ever! YOU MUST BE GOING?!? WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU MUST BE GOING? YOU'VE GOT 4000 MURDER CHARGES ON YOUR HEAD MISTER! ARE YOU NOT EVEN GOING TO GIVE AT LEAST A HALF-ASSED APOLOGY?!? LIVES WERE RUINED BECAUSE OF YOU!!!!!!

Like, I knew there was no reason why the guy did it going into this show but REALLY?!?

WELP.

GAME OVER YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

YOU. WERE. WARNED.
This is basically where I dropped this show off the Burj Dubai

I don't think I've ever asked. Any of you fellow anime bros have a Wii u or psn? If so give me your name yo.

I have a Ps4 and WiiU. Will list my info later.

Jup, this was the point where I traveled to mount everest just to drop this show as far down as possible.

This show came from an abyss. And I stared right into it.

I can feel your anger

It gives me great pleasure :)

I'm starting to feel some sort of sick satisfaction from this as well.

hahahaha Never gets old indeed.

It gets worse, keep going!

I'm aware of the destination. It's the journey that frightens me.

Takehito Koyasu hamming it up as this villain is basically the only enjoyable part of the second half.

Wait, who? *Googles*

OH SHIT. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

I EXPECTED A CHILD MOLESTER BUT IT WAS HIM DIO!

Hehehe.

Yeah it didn't make any sense

URYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
It's always fun to read SAO impressions. :)

It IS fun watching people go insane in here isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom