• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeesh, from what I've heard of Black Bullet, it seems to be the equivalent of taking a bunch of small children's most beloved toys, throwing them into a big fire, and then proceeding to laugh at their sobbing faces.

How brutal is that show?

fertygo

Seem I missing a lot with not following brynhildr and Black Bullet :(
The train already missed even if I want to hop, oh well..

I remember when my friend and I met up with a guy from GAF. We did not expect him to be black. Very cool guy, hopefully we'll meet him up again to watch a movie premier early august.

Also on a related note of avatars and people, I find it a bit weird when people's personal Mii in is not supposed to be them. Like some of the folks I added today had a girl Mii and I lol'd.

Puchimas!! 68-69

I think that's an upgrade for Producer.

Mahou Shoujo Taisen 11

New magical girl time.

Dog Days 07-08

Woo another war and another time for our hero to get into trouble again.

Majin Bone 13

Now its time to ask DRAGON BONE.

Syrinx

I remember when my friend and I met up with a guy from GAF. We did not expect him to be black. Very cool guy, hopefully we'll meet him up again to watch a movie premier early august.

Also on a related note of avatars and people, I find it a bit weird when people's personal Mii in is not supposed to be them. Like some of the folks I added today had a girl Mii and I lol'd.
I remember when my 360 made me make an avatar and I didn't want to or give a shit, so I just went with some old bald dude.

He was also dressed up like Crocodile Dundee one day, maybe he's a cosplayer?

Back on the cowboy part, there's a movie that comes to mind, that it reminds me of, but I can't say it because it has a racial term for black people in the title (hint hint).

It had an awesome theme though.

Defuser

No Game no Life ep 1 - 11

tumblr_m84b5txknh1r76hbjz4.gif

of not watching this earlier.

I can't believe I rush through most of it with a day....uhhhhh My mind is full of fuck on how this gaming gary stu is which I ain't surprise since it's voiced by Kirito. This is like Dragonball Z but without fighting and power levels. I could do without so much fanservice. I don't want to see a 11 year old loli pantsu.

Jibril is awesome. Steph is second.

Narag

lol

"Back in my days we knew how to treat women. We opened doors for them and pulled chairs, not to mention tapped their butts on a job well done. You young men don't appreciate what you have"

*shakily tips fedora"

Checking up on it, it apparently currently has a sombrero, a monocle, and 343 Guilty Spark. also a badass scar and elf ears

No Game no Life ep 1 - 11

tumblr_m84b5txknh1r76hbjz4.gif

of not watching this earlier.

.. well done lol
had to read the post twice because i was confused for a sec

When I go to the Funimation industry panel at AX and they announce it, I'll be the first to let you know!
Please do it Funi...

I will literally love you forever if you give me an update. This is the blu-ray set I've been wanting to buy. Heck I'd buy a collector's edition for hundreds of dollars.

I'M TRYING TO GIVE YOU MY GOD DAMN MONEY FUNI

Clov

I will literally love you forever if you give me an update. This is the blu-ray set I've been wanting to buy. Heck I'd buy a collector's edition for hundreds of dollars.

They've been starting to put out limited edition sets after seeing how successful they've been for other companies. I think it's safe to say that Bebop will get one. Otherwise they're just leaving money on the table.

As for trying to give Funimation money, so have I. Several years later and still no Blu-Ray of The Tatami Galaxy here. At least the title you want from them is one of the most popular in North America. Knowing them I'll probably be begging for Ping Pong next (though it at least still has a chance). :(

I always wonder where did this fedora nonsense originate from?

At some point, nerds started to use Fedoras. Most thought it made them look like cool 1930's dudes. What they didn't realize is that

1. You still have to be relatively handsome and/or
2. You gotta wear the proper clothing to match with it.

And it kind of lowered the fedora's value as a classy piece of clothing. Now it's associated with 'neckbeards' who think of themselves as beings higher in classiness and intelligence. And also it started to associate with white knights and 'nice guys' when it comes to women, hence the m'ladies.

tl;dr

cajunator

Banned
At some point, nerds started to use Fedoras. Most thought it made them look like cool 1930's dudes. What they didn't realize is that

1. You still have to be relatively handsome and/or
2. You gotta wear the proper clothing to match with it.

And it kind of lowered the fedora's value as a classy piece of clothing. Now it's associated with 'neckbeards' who think of themselves as beings higher in classiness and intelligence. And also it started to associate with white knights and 'nice guys' when it comes to women, hence the m'ladies.

tl;dr

and what about the m'lady stuff? whats up with that? and that phrase?

Quasar

and what about the m'lady stuff? whats up with that? and that phrase?

Silliness mocking politeness as old fashioned. Certainly I'll admit to being polite enough that I hold open doors and sometimes offer seats. Not just women though. Also older folks and kids.

Of course I never realised any of this relating to fedoras till I read this thread.

cajunator

Banned
Silliness mocking politeness as old fashioned. Certainly I'll admit to being polite enough that I hold open doors and sometimes offer seats. Not just women though. Also older folks and kids.

Of course I never realised any of this relating to fedoras till I read this thread.

I open doors for passers by and am generally polite but its more of a southern thing. Im just brought up to be considerate of people. I never expect anything in return either, which seems to be a problem with these fedoras from what Im reading. they only help because they expect something back (sex maybe)

Mature

I plan on going to most of the industry panels and what not this year, so hopefully I can be something of a correspondent to AnimeGAF. Though there's a pretty good chance I'll just reach for my phone to give an update and, in that moment, be too lazy to do so.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Would love to see your impressions.

Darker Than Black Season 2

I finished it and I think I understand why people like to pretend it doesn't exist, but I'm on the fence about that. On one hand the series started off with some fairly consistent pacing and seemed to expand the things the first season touched on (contractors, their reasoning, whether or not they feel emotions, etc, etc). It was decent enough for that. The pacing got weird after a while though, and looking back, I get the feeling they planned on the second season being longer than 12 episodes or (especially after the ending) a third season. The second season as a whole felt like 80% expanding on the first season a bit and 20% "Oh fuck we've got a few episodes left and we really need to end this now. Holy shit what do we do?"

Ultimately it felt pointless in that it didn't add build upon the first season enough. Instead of making the OVAs to bridge the gap between the two seasons they probably could have condensed the good stuff (expanding on the contractors and their emotions) and left the crazy stuff out (the last few episodes).

The ending... I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It didn't make much sense to me and it really seemed like they were hoping for a third season. (Ending spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched)
Earth 2 fucks off into space, that I get -> cop lady + section 3 glasses dude talk, "This is just the beginning" -> "A new gate has opened up" -> America takes over Japan -> Yin look alike wakes up and kills some CIA people -> cop lady and friends fly off in what is apparently the only flying car in all of Japan
. That's reducing it a bit too much, but still essentially what happens. I don't get it, and I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to.

Mature

When I trim down the fat...

Thursday, July 3, 2014
- Viz Media Panel | 4:45pm - 5:45pm
- Studio Trigger Upcoming Projects | 6:00pm - 7:00pm
- Gen Urobuchi and Nitro+ | 7:00pm - 8:00pm
- A-1 Pictures Panel: Featuring Tomonori Ochikoshi and Akira Shimizu | 7:15pm - 8:15pm

Friday, July 4, 2014
- Aniplex of America Industry Panel | 10:00am - 11:30am
- Sentai Filmworks Industry Panel | 10:15am - 11:15am
- FUNimation Preview Panel | 11:15am - 12:15pm
- Production IG Panel | 1:30pm - 2:30pm
- Space Dandy Panel feat. Uki Satake and Masahiko Minami | 1:45pm - 2:45pm

Saturday, July 5, 2014
- SUNRISE Official Panel | 12:15pm - 1:15pm
- NIS America Anime Panel | 2:45pm - 3:45pm
- FUNimation Industry Panel | 5:30pm - 7:00pm
These are the ones I'm at least interested in. Wont be able to go to all since scheduling would make it impossible, but I'll try to at least hit the big ones. I'd like to go to all the Studio Trigger ones on the schedule, but... just attempting to go to the one last year was hellish. And that was before Kill la Kill was even out. Can't imagine any of those halls will fit the amount of people who want in. Anything that intersects with premieres or films I want to see I'll have to cut out too. I know they'll have Letter to Momo on 35mm, the Terror in Resonance premiere, and Short Peace to name a few. This year should be a good time, even if the Laser Disc room appears to be MIA. :(

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I finished it and I think I understand why people like to pretend it doesn't exist, but I'm on the fence about that. On one hand the series started off with some fairly consistent pacing and seemed to expand the things the first season touched on (contractors, their reasoning, whether or not they feel emotions, etc, etc). It was decent enough for that. The pacing got weird after a while though, and looking back, I get the feeling they planned on the second season being longer than 12 episodes or (especially after the ending) a third season. The second season as a whole felt like 80% expanding on the first season a bit and 20% "Oh fuck we've got a few episodes left and we really need to end this now. Holy shit what do we do?"

Ultimately it felt pointless in that it didn't add build upon the first season enough. Instead of making the OVAs to bridge the gap between the two seasons they probably could have condensed the good stuff (expanding on the contractors and their emotions) and left the crazy stuff out (the last few episodes).

The ending... I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It didn't make much sense to me and it really seemed like they were hoping for a third season. (Ending spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched)
Earth 2 fucks off into space, that I get -> cop lady + section 3 glasses dude talk, "This is just the beginning" -> "A new gate has opened up" -> America takes over Japan -> Yin look alike wakes up and kills some CIA people -> cop lady and friends fly off in what is apparently the only flying car in all of Japan
. That's reducing it a bit too much, but still essentially what happens. I don't get it, and I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to.

I honestly thought S2 was okay until the ending. Fuck that shit. All of it. Its the worst and most nonsensical thing I've ever seen in an anime, it was so far up its own ass you'd think it was a tie-in to a Kingdom Hearts game.

Also I really liked the soundtrack.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I honestly thought S2 was okay until the ending. Fuck that shit. All of it. Its the worst and most nonsensical thing I've ever seen in an anime, it was so far up its own ass you'd think it was a tie-in to a Kingdom Hearts game.

Also I really liked the soundtrack.

Can't comment on the Kingdom Hearts bit but I agree with the rest. It started off fine and was alright for a good bit. It made sense and wasn't particularly bad or anything.

And then the ending happened.

Choosing what I'm interested in:
Thursday, July 3, 2014
- Bandai Namco Games America: JRPG Power Hour | 3:30pm - 4:30pm
- Official Danganronpa Panel | 4:00pm - 5:00pm (probably not)
- Viz Media Panel | 4:45pm - 5:45pm
- Studio Trigger Upcoming Projects | 6:00pm - 7:00pm
- A-1 Pictures Panel: Featuring Tomonori Ochikoshi and Akira Shimizu | 7:15pm - 8:15pm

Friday, July 4, 2014
- Aniplex of America Industry Panel | 10:00am - 11:30am (probably this over Sentai)
- Sentai Filmworks Industry Panel | 10:15am - 11:15am
- Production IG Panel | 1:30pm - 2:30pm
- NISA Video Games Panel | 2:30pm - 3:30pm (looks like NISA is at night now)
- Aksys Games Panel | 3:00pm - 4:00pm
- Sword Art Online II US Premiere Event | 7:00pm - 9:00pm (only if I'm willing to sit through it for free swag)
- Good Smile Company | 7:30pm - 8:30pm

Saturday, July 5, 2014
- Kodansha Comics | 9:45am - 10:45am
- Crunchyroll Industry Panel | 10:45am - 11:45am
- SUNRISE Official Panel | 12:15pm - 1:15pm
- NIS America Anime Panel | 2:45pm - 3:45pm
- FUNimation Industry Panel | 5:30pm - 7:00pm

Kinda silly how many things overlap here so it's definitely feels like I have to wisely choose which panel to go to now. Or it'll be me and lots of running around between rooms. Probably skipping the viewings as well.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I want an Animal Crossing Wii U game mayne.
Animal Crossing on handheld forever!

Well at least I'm honest in my profile that the Mii isn't me. My 3DS Mii was of me but when they combined under the NNID he was lost. I still use my personal Mii for Streetpass though.

Shergal

Parol's Future Island
It's just about what you'd expect based on the staff and the vibe it gave from the promotional material. Which ends up in a pretty cool, feel-good short with Kameda written all over the place.

I guess this is the part where I say I was a bit disappointed that the short didn't surprise in any way, with Kameda's touch fitting into the acting of the little creatures in a very organic way that didn't end up feeling much different from classic Shin-ei style; the storytelling was a bit simplistic, but you can easily flip it around to say it's unpretentious and fun, and that it fits the tone of the short while providing a good framework for the animation to develop. There are some cool set-pieces, and some great pieces of BG art scattered throughout the thing.

One thing I really liked was the music. It was so catchy and uplifting! Even in the obligatory "sad" or reflective segments, the music was really fresh and punchy, and not overdone like a lot of music for these sort of light-hearted adventure romps tends to be.

Chariot

Yeah the ending was kinda ... confusing at best. I think the
Copyworld thing was just an arc. It ends Sous story and the mainplot of season 2. Everything else though... yeah, that is pretty much bait for the third season. It was even worse when the show came out, because the OVAs came afterwards. You had barely any idea why Hei was a drinking Hobo and what the hell happened to Rin and what in gods name that thing in the ending was. The OVA at least established that the stuff has to do with the legend Izanami or something.
But I'm glad you like the episodes before the end. A lot of people hated Hobo Hei and especially Suo, but I was alright with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom