• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
Spring season's practically over right? What are the stand out shows this season. I only keep up with Jojo, I picked up Captain Earth, Haikyuu, No game no life, and one week friends and haven't watched any episode of those after 5. How do any of those turn out?

Ping Pong
No Game No Life

docbon

No Game No Life-12
The characters really do have some life to them compared to garbage like Mahouka so the show does have a really good amount of energy to it. It's awesome seeing a genius lead that is batshit insane but still there enough to outplay everybody.

re: Mahouka

My eyes rolled off into outer space when I heard Tatsuya's speech about equality.

Thanks for slipping some Animayn Rand into my wholesome, incestual imouto + Gary Stu animu, jerks.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
What are some animes released in the past couple years actually worth watching? It seems every new anime I try to watch ends up being disappointing.

This is a difficult question without knowing what specifically you enjoy, but this is a general list, spanning all genres, of things from the beginning of 2013 onward that I recommend:

Eccentric Family
Flowers of Evil
From the New World
Gundam Battle Fighters
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Kyousougiga
Love Lab
Noragami
Ping Pong
Rozen Maiden: Zuruckspulen
Samurai Flamenco
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Space Dandy
Tonari no Seki-kun
Yuyushiki

Mortemis

Banned
Ping Pong
No Game No Life

Looking at this thread, NGNL sure is getting a lot of love. Last I watched was that one episode when the angel girl shows up in the end, I think. I've seen ping pong get a lot of love too.

I guess I'll just watch these two. I planned on reading Haikyuu anyways, but I'm still a bit interested in how Captain Earth turned up. I like bones mech series but CE wasn't doing it for me.

cnet128

Banned
Spring season's practically over right? What are the stand out shows this season. I only keep up with Jojo, I picked up Captain Earth, Haikyuu, No game no life, and one week friends and haven't watched any episode of those after 5. How do any of those turn out?

I'd say the top tier of shows this season has been (in no particular order):

Hitsugi no Chaika
No Game No Life
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Isshuukan Friends
selector infected WIXOSS

...and also throw GochiUsa and Baby Steps in there if you're interested in cute things and tennis/sports shows respectively.

Love Live is fun. There is a mobile rhythm game as well. Come join the despair with us.

I tried downloading the Love Live mobile game. The gameplay seemed decent enough, but all the overwhelming mobile/socialgame baggage with its mountain of stats/currencies and collectathon elements designed to distract and obstruct you from just playing the songs frankly repulsed me. I deleted the app the same evening.

The anime is fun though.

Knights of Sidonia is best show of this season

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I will never understand the love No Game No Life gets but Ping Pong is aces and I am sad there is no episode today.

cajunator

Banned
This is a difficult question without knowing what specifically you enjoy, but this is a general list, spanning all genres, of things from the beginning of 2013 onward that I recommend:

Eccentric Family
Flowers of Evil
From the New World
Gundam Battle Fighters
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Kyousougiga
Love Lab
Noragami
Ping Pong
Rozen Maiden: Zuruckspulen
Samurai Flamenco
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Space Dandy
Tonari no Seki-kun
Yuyushiki

no Jinrui or Tsuritama?

Chariot

How hard is it to buy into these Idol shows, like Love Live?
Maybe you should start with AKB0048, it's an idolshow in the future with Jedi Idols who fight the evil anti-entertainment empire with force singing and laserswords. I love the how ridicilous the setting is.
I mean, look at that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad2Q9Cpn-u0
Please read spoiler AFTER watching:
It's an mock battle, the girls themselves are relatively save, but that definitly doesen't go for anyone who is not an maincharacter. The anti-entertainment is VERY serious and actually a lot of people suffer and die. And battles get intense.
It has Idols as a corepoint, but also other stuff. This was the first Idol centered anime I watched and I enjoyed it very much.

Ping Pong
Mushishi S2

Airan

Fuck, no more Chaika till autumn. I feel empty now.

As for ep12,
Frederica respawning was the best thing ever, followed by the CPR moment, then the appearance of Vaika. That scream was harrowing. Props to the VA.

Ryuuroden

Fuck, no more Chaika till autumn. I feel empty now.

As for ep12,
Frederica respawning was the best thing ever, followed by the CPR moment, then the appearance of Vaika. That scream was harrowing. Props to the VA.

Man, looking at what's coming this fall and winter, 2014 could shape up to be 2012 level epic......and 2012 was the best year for top tier shows since I started watching anime 14 years ago.

/XX/

<rant> It's not a tank, its' an assault gun.

And it wasn't even in production by the time of Winter War. </rant>
There are terms like 'panzer' or 'sensha' that are too broad to always bring a exactly proper meaning in every translation into English; 'Panzerkampfwagen' is an all-encompassing genre, while derivations of 'sensha' (like 'h&#333;sensha' and 'taisensha' vehicle are) were used for the definition you are rightfully referring to in here...
I prefer the nomenclature 'self-propelled artillery unit' myself! :)

About the Winter War comment; the series' production team right away commented that it was a purposed error they wanted her to make (like any self-absorbed 'mili-ota' would do once in a while)... although the StuG III was used during the Continuation War, and that could led to interpretations too!

Andrew J.

Gaaah, I'll have to watch Chaika and NGNL the next time there's a backlog season. They'll have to wait until at least fall, I started too many multi-cour shows.

Wow I have no anime today since no Naruto Shippuden and no more ping pong, hopefully a Cardfight!! Vanguard dub release from Bushiroad to save the day :(

Date A Live 6-7

Hot springs episode was fun since well
no time in the hot springs
. Hilarious action when not focused on actually dating or kissing.

Kurumi is probably best character after Shido and Tonomachi. The vivid description of delicious Shido is just plain awesome and the way she was getting all into it when the hands and that laugh bordering on crazy. Characters with the multicoloured eyes are always fun to see animated and lived up to expectations from the brief moment in the OP.
imouto and her are much more entertaining around than clueless Tohka and dull origami thankfully

duckroll

http://terror-in-tokyo.com/special.html#interview

Update on the Terror in Resonance site. They just put up an interview with the assistant director Yuzuru Tachikawa (Death Billiards).

He says that the series is trying to be more grounded in terms of setting and tone, and that it shares a similar sense of tension with Death Billiards while being more realistic. As assistant director, he basically does follow up checks on stuff like backgrounds and art, 3DCG, etc. He also has to do storyboard corrects if Watanabe is too busy. Aside from that, he is directing the first episode, and storyboarding the second episode. He is also directing and storyboarding the fifth episode. That's for the first half of the series. I don't think they've started work on the rest yet, but he'll probably be directing and storyboarding more episodes.

/XX/

He says that the series is trying to be more grounded in terms of setting and tone, and that it shares a similar sense of tension with Death Billiards while being more realistic. As assistant director, he basically does follow up checks on stuff like backgrounds and art, 3DCG, etc. He also has to do storyboard corrects if Watanabe is too busy. Aside from that, he is directing the first episode, and storyboarding the second episode. He is also directing and storyboarding the fifth episode. That's for the first half of the series. I don't think they've started work on the rest yet, but he'll probably be directing and storyboarding more episodes.
Maybe Mr. &#332;tsuka should have snatched him away to have it at TRIGGER Inc. full-time, even if Mr. Tachikawa wasn't sure it was his place to be... >:)

http://terror-in-tokyo.com/special.html#interview

Update on the Terror in Resonance site. They just put up an interview with the assistant director Yuzuru Tachikawa (Death Billiards).

So fucking hyped. I have the weirdest boner.

Jarmel

Banned
Has there been any Twitter rumors about animators? Some of the cuts in the long trailer looked like Nakamura. Anything about whether Watanabe is penning the entire script?

Hey all,

Just popping in to say that I watch Ping Pong and it was good. The animation really hooked me and the panel format it kept on doing was fresh and new.

It did seem by the end that they had trouble of keeping the ping pong exciting, I mean, how many different ways can you play ping pong? But really in the end it wasn't really about the game and more about the players.

The ending did throw me. I didn't know it was the last episode so it came out of left field but it was nice.

Plot was alright. The animation was really striking.

BluWacky

Well, after the disappointment this song represented, I found another mecha show (an actual ANIME this time, not a VN) under the name Gravion.

Anyone seen it? It's got a JAM Project opening, and it's only like, 13 episodes. Is it any good? Because I kinda want to check it out.

Objectively - no, it's not very good.

Subjectively - it's a fanservice-y Gonzo show with mecha and maids with varying degrees of ridiculous breast sizes. If you like such things, you might enjoy it.

(it's also 26 episodes, there were two seasons)

Objectively - no, it's not very good.

Subjectively - it's a fanservice-y Gonzo show with mecha and maids with varying degrees of ridiculous breast sizes. If you like such things, you might enjoy it.

(it's also 26 episodes, there were two seasons)

Well, I'd be watching it mostly for the mecha, so that could at least be good. It's a Super Robot show, which is always welcome in my book.

I've heard the second season has a more satisfying plot than the first, so it's given me this idea that it'll be like GaoGaiGar, where the first show was a light-hearted, happy super robot show before the darker and more serious final OVA that took place after the series.

I'll give it a look. Can't be that bad.

Midonin

Aikatsu! 87-88

Soleil is back, and all the better for it. Mikuru's really proving herself to be likable, and she's made Mitsuki far less distant and mysterious than she was for the first half of the second season. These past two episodes have been a lot of fun, but next week looks like a Yurika focuser, one of the first ones in a long, long time. Yurika's the best!

Is The Order a Rabbit? 11-12 + Final Thoughts

I'm predisposed towards liking series from the Manga Time Kirara family of magazines, so GochiUsa had a head start on everything else this season before the first episode even aired. And it ended up just where I was hoping it would, as my favorite show of the season. Pleasant to the eye, several of my favorite voice actresses - including reuniting Mayayan and Ayaneru again after Vividred - and humor that landed almost all of the time. The Christmas episode was a great way to bring everyone together, and the final episode's exploration of Chino and Cocoa's relationship was a touching way to bookend the series.

If there was any element of the series I disliked - and really, there's very little - it's that I was never totally onboard with Rize's military otaku thing, but that's hardly going to take away from everything else. I love Syaro and Cocoa because of their VAs, but Chiya was my favorite character overall. Her purple prose naming sense and love of pranks, the trickster of the group, instantly shot her up to favorite. The light supernatural elements with Tippy also gave off some good Tamako Market vibes.

It was a joy to watch each week, and as long as there's at least one Kirara show each season (or something in this quasi-genre), then my spirits shall be alive and well. GochiUsa wins as my show of the season, for whatever little value that's worth. Love Live may have good narrative flow and Wixoss has a great atmosphere, but GochiUsa has the best characters. And character is king.

Gravion - 1

Honestly, I expected worse.

The animation with the mechs and the aliens was cool. The animation everywhere else was WEIRD. Though I guess that's just a Gonzo thing.

Some of these character designs remind me of Gundam SEED, lol.

The writing was super awkward in some places though. It's like all these characters had no idea what they were doing and just winging it until the robot appeared.

Nonetheless, this seems to be super-standard when it comes to mecha. Aliens bad, humans good. Humans build giant super robot to counter the threat. I might just continue this.

Mecha

Gravion - 1

Honestly, I expected worse.

The animation with the mechs and the aliens was cool. The animation everywhere else was WEIRD. Though I guess that's just a Gonzo thing.

Some of these character designs remind me of Gundam SEED, lol.

The writing was super awkward in some places though. It's like all these characters had no idea what they were doing and just winging it until the robot appeared.

Nonetheless, this seems to be super-standard when it comes to mecha. Aliens bad, humans good. Humans build giant super robot to counter the threat. I might just continue this.

I watched both seasons of that for SRW, it was pretty terrible.

Link Man

Banned
Bunny Cafe 12

More fanservice. Of course. #beautifulthings

So basically this is a review episode?

Is...is this writer woman a pervert?

iEC9tjXlMg5jJ.jpg

And Chiya's a drug dealer. Okay.

WTH?
Cocoa dies?
This is a joke, don't hurt me!

Status