• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Game, No Life - 1

Super NEET, shit-talking older brother and cute loli, super-computer little sister here to cultivate otaku self-insert needs with attitude.

You know I probably would be fine with this concept with a better written cast.

You know my top Shonen shows that I think are brilliant are One Piece(if a series can make me cry for a boat it has done something right), Hunter X Hunter(everybody knows why), Beezlebub(it's filled with great funny antics), and Full Metal Alchemist. Though for a while I've been watching a certain series which fills every criteria for brilliance and has now made it to my top Shonen shows. The series is Gintama of course and now to talk about it.

Gintama is a anime that knows how to be entertaining and it does it well. The way it inserts feels, drama, comedy, and how it adds serious moments isn't forced towards the audience it's perfect. For example an earlier episode that had a character who was a murderer that killed for money, but in fact he was a father to these orphans which he used the money for. He didn't want to live as killer but as a father for these children which would lead up to a feels moment that made me cry. The comedy is also not forced like some other Anime's like Kondou being called a gorilla kills me every time and Hasegawa being called a Madao is also hilarious. The references in this anime are also the best part and are enjoyable. Usually there are characters that you dislike but in Gintama every character is enjoyable in their own way. This anime also contains some of my favorite manly voice actors such as Gintoki of course (Sugita), Hasegawa(Tachiki), and Hijikata(Nakai). Also the voice actor for Kagura(Rie Kugimiya) who I usually find annoying for some other characters done by her like Rise and Shana, but for Kagura I don't. Probably must be her character which I also like. As for serious moments this series has it like in the second arc Benizakura which is my favorite so far. Had my favorite ending song in it which was inserted while Katsura and Gintoki were fighting at the end.

http://youtu.be/FHGAbhZ4txE

Sooo good and awesome.

This anime has one of the best Main Character Gintoki, this guy does whatever he wants and he may not seem to care but he actually does. He's funny and he has the characteristics of a great main character. Did I forget to say he's manly. The speeches he says at the end aren't cheesy but memorable. The one speech he said to Hasegawa when he was in jail for being a molester, on how he would bring a rope not for him to kill himself but to pull him out from hell no matter how many ropes it would be. In the end this anime is amazing that has made me cry multiple times because it's manly shit that builds up it's tensions at the right moments. One of the good merits of anime and should be in everyone's top Shonen. I also have to say Why Didn't Anyone Recommend Me This Anime In The Past Seriously.

Girls und Panzer 08

M3WWkpZ.jpg

K2sNFcW.jpg

They dun goofed now.

6 against 15, eh? That hardly seem fair... At least everybody finally learns the truth from the student council.

Oh, and this is the episode with that missing/replaced scene it seems.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Friendly reminder that the only reason anyone should ever watch Strike the Blood is for best girls.

And when I mean watch, I mean look up their scenes on YouTube.

Speaking as someone whose never played Golden

Is the chick in the hat Yu's implied love interest?

I'm only asking because of the image and the little video teaser.
I love how all Japanese games are using the same conventions now. SR and UR... soon, all Japanese games will be based on cards. lol

I already have Narag and Mr Jeff on my side. I'd say we won!

Theonik

Girls und Panzer 08

They dun goofed now.

6 against 15, eh? That hardly seem fair... At least everybody finally learns the truth from the student council.

Oh, and this is the episode with that missing/replaced scene it seems.
The Pravda episodes had music changes yes.

phaze

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 17-18

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 19

Sentient brains and zombie robot Nazis, this show is cray cray.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 20

I knew things were going too well. Ceasar went out like a boss, a dumb and overeager one but boss nonetheless.

The toned down dialogue and upped production values made for a really good fight. Show really hit the stride for me, I'm enjoying Battle Tendency much more than I did Phantom Blood.

cajunator

Banned
Jinrui was 2012!

True but he asked for stuff from the last couple years so it counts hehee.

I suppose I will check out No Game No Life in a few days to see what's all about.

Its soooo much funnnnnnnnn

Trans4mers

The CG future is so beautiful... in IMAX 3D. :D

I cant see 3D Ducky :(

Gaaah, I'll have to watch Chaika and NGNL the next time there's a backlog season. They'll have to wait until at least fall, I started too many multi-cour shows.

Both of these are worth your time!

Wow I have no anime today since no Naruto Shippuden and no more ping pong, hopefully a Cardfight!! Vanguard dub release from Bushiroad to save the day :(

Date A Live 6-7

Hot springs episode was fun since well
no time in the hot springs
. Hilarious action when not focused on actually dating or kissing.

Kurumi is probably best character after Shido and Tonomachi. The vivid description of delicious Shido is just plain awesome and the way she was getting all into it when the hands and that laugh bordering on crazy. Characters with the multicoloured eyes are always fun to see animated and lived up to expectations from the brief moment in the OP.
imouto and her are much more entertaining around than clueless Tohka and dull origami thankfully

I was gonna say you are completely crazy but then I saw it was you DTL. Kurumi in third is therefore slightly less than unacceptable.

Finally, a full 60-second PV for Sword Art Online II:

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/874/874290/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CKER1uSzV8

Fair warning, it's more of a story/character thing narrated by Kirito and Shinon, so there's not a ton of action.
In fact, there's quite a bit of Shinon narration, so Zach will probably want to watch this.

BLue hair looks so cute and badass. Im going to hate myself.

Well, after the disappointment this song represented, I found another mecha show (an actual ANIME this time, not a VN) under the name Gravion.

Anyone seen it? It's got a JAM Project opening, and it's only like, 13 episodes. Is it any good? Because I kinda want to check it out.

Gravion had two shows released around the same time. Gravion and GRavion Zwei. If I remember right the first was more cute, and the Zwei was way more fanservicey.

No Game, No Life - 1

Super NEET, shit-talking older brother and cute loli, super-computer little sister here to cultivate otaku self-insert needs with attitude.

You know I probably would be fine with this concept with a better written cast.

The cast makes this show what it is! Theyre amazing. Their intelligence makes them supremely confident in winning.

The Pravda episodes had music changes yes.

Dont remind me :( That scene on the blurays is so lame.

Acosta

Hey all,

Just popping in to say that I watch Ping Pong and it was good. The animation really hooked me and the panel format it kept on doing was fresh and new.

It did seem by the end that they had trouble of keeping the ping pong exciting, I mean, how many different ways can you play ping pong? But really in the end it wasn't really about the game and more about the players.

The ending did throw me. I didn't know it was the last episode so it came out of left field but it was nice.

Plot was alright. The animation was really striking.

In terms of the sport, I found Ping Pong pretty lacking. Of course, having zero interest in the sport doesn't help, but I think the show does a poor job explaining stuff. They just intrude a bunch of terms and I'm supposed to understand the implications of having a paddle with double rubber, or the different types of players there are. Some imes I was pretty lost in the matches (but then you have a guy "transforming" in a robot and other launching "dragons" with its paddle and you kinda forget about the technical stuff, lol)

But yeah, I have accepted it´s a show about the characters with Ping Pong as a pillar of their feelings and development, so it´s hard to complain.

I watched both seasons of that for SRW, it was pretty terrible.

Gravion had two shows released around the same time. Gravion and GRavion Zwei. If I remember right the first was more cute, and the Zwei was way more fanservicey.

Yeah, I've given it some thought. And I think I'll drop it actually. The more I thought about the less I cared about the show. Looking on it, the felt so....throw away. Like there was nothing special or charming about it.

GaoGaiGar at least had that little childlike wonder spirit seeing it for the first time since the main character was a little kid.

This show...just felt like nothing. Maybe I'll come back to it at one point, but right now I've got Gundam SEED, Baccano!, Jojo, and...ugh.....SAO on my plate.

I should also get back to Escha and Logy at some time as well.

Girls und Panzer 09

Sticking your head out of the tank seems dangerous enough, but this...

Singing while doing reconnaissance doesn't seem that smart either though. That Turtle team tank got hit hard! And the match results will be revealed in the next episode then.

mankoto

Space Dandy 2-6
Well so far Space Dandy hasn't exactly been so Dandy. My favorites so far have been episodes 4 and 5, but otherwise it's more or less a miss.

Mature

In terms of the sport, I found Ping Pong pretty lacking. Of course, having zero interest in the sport doesn't help, but I think the show does a poor job explaining stuff. They just intrude a bunch of terms and I'm supposed to understand the implications of having a paddle with double rubber, or the different types of players there are. Some imes I was pretty lost in the matches (but then you have a guy "transforming" in a robot and other launching "dragons" with its paddle and you kinda forget about the technical stuff, lol)

But yeah, I have accepted it´s a show about the characters with Ping Pong as a pillar of their feelings and development, so it´s hard to complain.
Despite having nearly zero knowledge on the sport itself, Ping Pong never felt like it lost me when it went into it's technicality's. It never felt like what it was handing the viewer needed to be known on a technical level to understand the context of a match or the details therein. Long pips vs short pips? I have no idea how that effects the type of play, but seeing Tsukimoto struggle when he had to make the switch was all I needed to understand. It was a more technical and labored style that he clearly wasn't used to.

Ultimately, I'm glad Ping Pong didn't fall into teaching the viewer the fundamentals of the sport because, as you said, Ping Pong isn't actually about that, and going down that route would sort of change the type of show it is.

Space Dandy 2-6
Well so far Space Dandy hasn't exactly been so Dandy. My favorites so far have been episodes 4 and 5, but otherwise it's more or less a miss.
While I thought Space Dandy was an incredible show at episode one, the common opinion is that the back half of the cour is the better, more consistent half. So you might want to labor ahead a bit more.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I see what you did there. And I'd be down depending on the time. Mom is visiting me for a bit so if it's before or after she's gone I'm down.
Well it is 7pm GMT+1 time at the moment. So I guess I can make it a late night session for myself and say around 10pm GMT+1.

Space Dandy 2-6

It's a very hit or miss show, it's as episodic as you can get. However there were no episodes I hated, and I still look forward to the second season a lot, if only just for visuals and the soundtrack.

You know my top Shonen shows that I think are brilliant are One Piece(if a series can make me cry for a boat it has done something right), Hunter X Hunter(everybody knows why), Beezlebub(it's filled with great funny antics), and Full Metal Alchemist. Though for a while I've been watching a certain series which fills every criteria for brilliance and has now made it to my top Shonen shows. The series is Gintama of course and now to talk about it.

Gintama is a anime that knows how to be entertaining and it does it well. The way it inserts feels, drama, comedy, and how it adds serious moments isn't forced towards the audience it's perfect. For example an earlier episode that had a character who was a murderer that killed for money, but in fact he was a father to these orphans which he used the money for. He didn't want to live as killer but as a father for these children which would lead up to a feels moment that made me cry. The comedy is also not forced like some other Anime's like Kondou being called a gorilla kills me every time and Hasegawa being called a Madao is also hilarious. The references in this anime are also the best part and are enjoyable. Usually there are characters that you dislike but in Gintama every character is enjoyable in their own way. This anime also contains some of my favorite manly voice actors such as Gintoki of course (Sugita), Hasegawa(Tachiki), and Hijikata(Nakai). Also the voice actor for Kagura(Rie Kugimiya) who I usually find annoying for some other characters done by her like Rise and Shana, but for Kagura I don't. Probably must be her character which I also like. As for serious moments this series has it like in the second arc Benizakura which is my favorite so far. Had my favorite ending song in it which was inserted while Katsura and Gintoki were fighting at the end.

http://youtu.be/FHGAbhZ4txE

Sooo good and awesome.

This anime has one of the best Main Character Gintoki, this guy does whatever he wants and he may not seem to care but he actually does. He's funny and he has the characteristics of a great main character. Did I forget to say he's manly. The speeches he says at the end aren't cheesy but memorable. The one speech he said to Hasegawa when he was in jail for being a molester, on how he would bring a rope not for him to kill himself but to pull him out from hell no matter how many ropes it would be. In the end this anime is amazing that has made me cry multiple times because it's manly shit that builds up it's tensions at the right moments. One of the good merits of anime and should be in everyone's top Shonen. I also have to say Why Didn't Anyone Recommend Me This Anime In The Past Seriously.

Unfortunately Ive had it stalled for a year now, just lacks the fun and surprise of Sket Dance. Maybe Ill get back to it at an episode a day or something.

Surprised Beelzebub anime is up there, didnt it have issues with diversions from the source material/

Hyouka 13

I gotta say these characters are quite fun to watch when they're not trying to solve a mystery. But I can already see the seeds of a mystery forming with
the things stolen from some clubs
. Oreki just keeps receiving things which I think will come into play in a few episodes. Chitanda didn't do the "I'm curious" and light up this episode. Made me sad. Fukube continued to be funny. And Mayaka is a super manga nerd. She just won a few points with me. Don't know why Cajun doesn't like her....

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka 13

I gotta say these characters are quite fun to watch when they're not trying to solve a mystery. But I can already see the seeds of a mystery forming with
the things stolen from some clubs
. Oreki just keeps receiving things which I think will come into play in a few episodes. Chitanda didn't do the "I'm curious" and light up this episode. Made me sad. Fukube continued to be funny. And Mayaka is a super manga nerd. She just won a few points with me. Don't know why Cajun doesn't like her....

I dontl ike bitchy characters usually. There are a few exceptions. Really I would just punch Mayaka in the face.

fertygo

Yeah, I've given it some thought. And I think I'll drop it actually. The more I thought about the less I cared about the show. Looking on it, the felt so....throw away. Like there was nothing special or charming about it.

You can only care about Gravion, if you know two thing about Masami Obari, The Mecha God.

tumblr_n7di5hWwNl1s8o334o1_500.jpg

mankoto

It's a very hit or miss show, it's as episodic as you can get. However there were no episodes I hated, and I still look forward to the second season a lot, if only just for visuals and the soundtrack.
I guess I should clarify when I called them a "miss." I didn't exactly mean that I didn't like them. I just found them "alright." As a whole so far I like the series it's just that some episodes aren't exactly connecting as well as me as some others. I know that each episode is written by a different person, so that might be it.

While I thought Space Dandy was an incredible show at episode one, the common opinion is that the back half of the cour is the better, more consistent half. So you might want to labor ahead a bit more.
I have no intentions of dropping it as I plan to finish it before S2 airs. I rarely, if ever, drop a series.

Midonin

Inugami & Nekoyama 11-12

While it didn't quite fill the Sakura Trick-shaped hole in my heart, it was a nice small dose of yuri for the season. The animal motifs were cute, the relationships had a bit of naughtiness going on. Not bad for a short series, though some of that may be the goggles speaking.

cajunator

Banned
wWait i watched the blu-ray last week and this scene .... was there , but with another music and no one was singing !

I feel ripped off !

Thats because we were. but its not Sentai's fault.

Oh yeah! There was a new OP and ED for Hyouka that just started playing. I don't like them all that much. They pale in comparison to the first OP and ED. :/

tumblr_m7cq91BE1l1qfzc51o1_500.gif

sorry worst girl. You just werent good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom