• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Transformers: Age of Extinction

NnVAU52.gif
V6km8nq.gif
9QOu7JD.gif

The Legend of Korra Season 3 has already started?!?

Don't even know if I should give it a try after that dismal Season 2.

Yeah I'm in a similar situation. I mean I'm an Avatard so I'll at least give it a watch once a couple of episodes have aired. Less relationship drama makes for a better show. Focus on the adventure aspect plz.

Impressions on the first 3 episodes have been very positive, actually.

Starts off strong but becomes terrible as the season progress.

I hate my cynicism.

Yeah I'm in a similar situation. I mean I'm an Avatard so I'll at least give it a watch once a couple of episodes have aired. Less relationship drama makes for a better show. Focus on the adventure aspect plz.

Woof, we all know this is going to end up back into some relationship problems.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 8

The writing is soooooo hamfisted it's really hard to take any of this seriously. Early in the episode Domon is his usual dick self. You would think after 7 episodes of not treating the girl right and him telling people not to hurt her or thanking her for helping, you would think he would appreciate her more. But nope, he just reverts back to the same character he was in the opening minutes of the series.

Add to that early in the episode he goes to Neo-Canadain Gundam and tells him that he wants to fight him and that he won't help the other guy find and fight Neo-Russia's Gundam. Only for him to turn around a few minutes later when
the two are fighting each other and declares "well my job just got easier"
. Are you thick in the head? The Canadian guy just proposed that to you and you said "No fight me" only to say that a few minutes later? Come on....

People talk about bad dialogue and story. This is the very definition of it. I will be amazed if this show can turn this around.

Starts off strong but becomes terrible as the season progress.

I hate my cynicism.

Woof, we all know this is going to end up back into some relationship problems.

Fuck I know. But at the least give Bolin a bigger role. I can't give two shits about Mako and his fangirl squirting powers. Bolin/Nuck Tuck is the true hero

Narag

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 8

The writing is soooooo hamfisted it's really hard to take any of this seriously. Early in the episode Domon is his usual dick self. You would think after 7 episodes of not treating the girl right and him telling people not to hurt her or thanking her for helping, you would think he would appreciate her more. But nope, he just reverts back to the same character he was in the opening minutes of the series.

Add to that early in the episode he goes to Neo-Canadain Gundam and tells him that he wants to fight him and that he won't help the other guy find and fight Neo-Russia's Gundam. Only for him to turn around a few minutes later when
the two are fighting each other and declares "well my job just got easier"
. Are you thick in the head? The Canadian guy just proposed that to you and you said "No fight me" only to say that a few minutes later? Come on....

People talk about bad dialogue and story. This is the very definition of it. I will be amazed if this show can turn this around.

You actually get a glimpse of the real Domon briefly in this. Dude wants to solve everything with his fists but
when Rain is in danger, he immediately offers up the Shining Gundam's head so long as she was safe.
Reverts back to the usual dick self though.

Is there a chance that Gintama's anime will continue, because I really want more of it. I mean the manga is still ongoing, DVD sales were good, and the latest movie sales were great. So from all of you what are the chances Gintama anime will continue.

Midonin

Mekaku City Actors 12 + Final Thoughts

The plot could get a bit hard to follow at points, but I, at least on some level, appreciate the show because Nisekoi was not especially Shafty, and this more than covered that gap. The BRS-like origins of it coming from a series of songs were also amusing. Ultimately, the show seems to be about a simple idea expressed complexly. The fairy tale told through the various epilogues could be seen as a metaphor for the whole thing. A decent enough mix of action, banter and Kana Asumi. The idea of wanting to have friends and be alive is a simple enough message, and the new media mix way that the franchise came into being give it enough novelty that I still consider it a worthy experiment. Perhaps someday I'll rewatch it and see if I can piece things together better.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 9

Domon is still a dick but not as much of one this episode. Which is nice.

Show still does some crazy mental gymnastics to get the outcome it wanted. The Neo-England Gundam fighter didn't notice how every time he fought
fog would show up? And he's on mental stimulants so he can see Domon but he can't see the countless dummy gundams that surround each fighter in each fight
? Really?

Despite all of that, this was a much better episode than the last 8 episodes.

Link Man

Banned
Mekakucity Actors 12 [END]

I, uh, what?

I just, huh?

Bad art and incomprehensible plot, with an asspull of an ending.

Did they even save that girl that disappeared, the one that clairvoyant boy had the hots for?

You actually get a glimpse of the real Domon briefly in this. Dude wants to solve everything with his fists but
when Rain is in danger, he immediately offers up the Shining Gundam's head so long as she was safe.
Reverts back to the usual dick self though.

That was his one SHINING moment the entire episode.

But yeah it's really hard to care about Domon at this point. When you start rooting for the MC's opponents you know you did something wrong.

This is the definition of "doing it wrong".

Relax, and enjoy the ham.

Hard to do that when the show so intently wants me to take it seriously. I've watched hammy stuff. There's done well/play it up hammy and then there's "oh please move the story onto something else" hammy.

Articalys

Mekakucity Actors ep.12 (END)
I am going to predict that even after watching the final Mekakucity Actors episode, I'll still only understand about 70% of what happened. Maybe less!
I was right! I have no idea what the fuck just happened.
Ayano and Shintaro's magic eye powers somehow saved the day with zero explanation whatsoever.
That's what happens when you try to adapt a cross-media project with a convoluted, non-linear plot, I guess.
Nice music through the whole thing though!

Midonin

Mahouka 13, I Think

That moment where the competition turned into a fashion show, even if it involved the same sort of magic as always, was the first real moment of individuality I've seen from the characters in this show. It's clear there's a lot of people with a lot of different personalities, but it's all drowned out by the magical gibberish. Having inner struggles that aren't related to Tatsuya and Tatsuya failing at something would make this pick up a bit. Yes, there's a well thought out magic system, but it feels like the world was designed before the characters. How could magical surfboarding feel dull?

Mahouka 13, I Think

That moment where the competition turned into a fashion show, even if it involved the same sort of magic as always, was the first real moment of individuality I've seen from the characters in this show. It's clear there's a lot of people with a lot of different personalities, but it's all drowned out by the magical gibberish. Having inner struggles that aren't related to Tatsuya and Tatsuya failing at something would make this pick up a bit. Yes, there's a well thought out magic system, but it feels like the world was designed before the characters. How could magical surfboarding feel dull?

Well let's just say that the world in the LN is really though out including magic and even the characters through inner dialogue. It's just that the LN to anime transition doesn't work that well for the series. Which is why this series hadn't gotten an adaption with 13 vols till now even though it gathered a lot of sales.

Midonin

But everything's so "logical" that it's become boring. When I think of magic, I think of whimsy, spontaneity, the unpredictable and the unknowable. Treating magic like a science can still be interesting in its own right (I found Easy to Understand Modern Magic a pleasant watch), but Mahouka is so preoccupied with its magic system that even the elements that might appeal to someone like me show up so rarely that may as well not be there.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 10

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!

This show. A
mummy's fighting spirit was brought back to life by the Dark Gundam
. Lol.

Mokoi

Banned
I got this today:

Finally got all of You're Under Arrest DVDs (except the mini specials) and that's the K-On!! anime guide book.

I see nothing, A bit off topic, but am I the only one who doesn't see pictures when quoted sometimes? Using chrome btw, and they show up on firefox just not chrome.

G Gundam - 8

Easily the best episode so far. A simple revenge story with a rather tragic outcome.

I liked the moment where it all came full circle and this dude ended up getting Rain caught in the mix when he really didn't want to. He ended up doing the exact same thing the guy who had apparently killed his wife did.

Yeah, I guess you could call the moment where it was revealed that Argo was trying to save the guy's wife pretty cliché, but I liked the way it was executed. This episode provides a nice parallel to what Domon is trying to do, and whether he'll let revenge take over him.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Originally I compared Guilty Crown to a rollecoaster ride. It started out pretty bad, got a little better, and eventually got worse again. Just finished up Shu's
high school tyranny arc
and I feel like this is an apt comparison at this point:

yNmAG.gif

tl;dr: AnimeGAF was right.

Is there a chance that Gintama's anime will continue, because I really want more of it. I mean the manga is still ongoing, DVD sales were good, and the latest movie sales were great. So from all of you what are the chances Gintama anime will continue.

There's a rumor that Gintama will come back in the fall. I guess we'll see if that proves true.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's a rumor that Gintama will come back in the fall. I guess we'll see if that proves true.
I forgot who it was here who laid out a good rationale for "new" shounen shows like Gintama and Toriko and Fairy Tail to simply take breaks rather than have continuous runs that go on forever ala One Piece, but having a show spread itself like that seems to make sense nowadays so hopefully that's the case here.

cajunator

Banned
I feel a bit guilty since largely when I complain about lewd stuff I don't genuinely feel uncomfortable with it (outside of beautiful things) but I agree with this. I know I'm not popular when it comes to this topic but I genuinely want to be able to surf this thread and talk with the community in public places and not have to scroll fast and pray somebody didn't see a half naked girl over my shoulder. Heck I want people in other communities to reference AnimeGAF and not immediately think we're only about waifus and perverted stuff.

No actually I am the most affected by all this because I read every single post and I dont even like fanservice. I also view it from work. But I dont recall anything being posted here I wouldnt show to my coworkers. Maybe Im not remembering right.

I'm more reminded of black rock shooter than madoka
Madoka was awesome but for me it didn't invent the despair genre.

True it didnt invent it, but neither did Evangelion invent mecha. but Madoka's vast popularity created a demand for such experiences and thus the glut of despair driven mahou shoujo plots. Its rarely the first in a genre that sparks a global interest in it.

Funimation on OniAi: "It's not a failure".

I bought OniAi. Should watch it sometime!

Transformers: Age of Extinction

NnVAU52.gif
V6km8nq.gif
9QOu7JD.gif

Ill be watching this today. Hopefully its entertaining and better than the second one.

I got this today:

Finally got all of You're Under Arrest DVDs (except the mini specials) and that's the K-On!! anime guide book.

Niiiiiice. YUA is a marvelous series. You must have spent a fortune to get the boxsets. I ended up getting the DVDs only but all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom