• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
do people seriously celebrate the birthday of anime characters? I now imagine a fat guy with a body pillow blowing out the candles for his waifu

Crazy people do.

Brynhildr of the Darkness 13: End

DWcS3Ln.gif

No words. Not even the ending gave a fuck. This show was masterful. Never before has somebody gone so full retard in such a beautiful fashion. It's like if they were dancing to Swan Lake and at the same time shitting unto their cupped hands and smearing it all over their bodies.

And that ending. Oh god that ending
NP7HOWw.gif

THERE WAS A FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRERFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

The way the writing just stopped caring was masterful. The fucking drop kick. The no explanation as to why shit is happening, just you know "role with it". The tears. The salty tears. The fucking guy
sacrificing himself for no reason even though he had made it clear over and over again he was in it for himself
the fucking
psycho sister bitch wanting to still be with him even though he's using her and would throw her away like a cum-riddled tissue whenever he wanted
. Just truly the work of a genius.

This show was an orchestra. AN ORCHESTRA OF EMOTION
INmvjLS.gif

THE FUCKING SPARKS WILL FLY. THE SEA WILL PART, GOD WILL PEER HIS FACE OUT OF THE CLOUDS AND SHED A SINGLE TEAR OF BEAUTY. Because without this show. Without this show my life is meaningless. Thank you anime. You've proven that the worst of you, is the best for me.

I give this show 9/10 Ironic Woofs. And I hereby demand that whoever owns the key to The List watch this show, and fucking puts it in there. Because it deserves it more than many other shows.

THANK YOU GOD. THANK YOU.

I'm heading to episode 6 pretty soonish. This week my friends are gone the whole week so I'll have time to watch it more consistently. Will probably end up doing group reviews because my watching isn't very consistent.

The show was pretty trash but my hate meter is currently in the shop for repairs after watching Broken Blade. I'm drowning in a pool of apathy so I can't quite work myself up to join you but I totally understand.

If being an anime fan means having a borderline disturbing room full of images of an anime character as you put an awkward looking cake encircled by even more pictures of that anime character then yeah I'll pass lol. I'm sure the camera work in those shots is masterful enough that they don't show the body pillows with holes all around the mouth area.

Is it strange that I read it as "[...]a fat guy blowing a body pillow?"

hmmmmmmm

/XX/

Meanwhile, there's Oda, who just accepts the first random fan suggestion for character birthdays as long as there's some meaning/pun behind it.
And people thought Mr. Oda was a master of foreshadowing, having planned anything and everything about his work. :p

Haikyuu!! Episode 13
tumblr_n7xsmakWII1rupogao1_500.gif

Liked how it was done though manga was probably a bit better for Inuoka and Hinata at this parts, the symbols and sounds being rendered to just boom and whoosh wasnt as comical imo.

Great game, Tsukki Kuroo being setup and the bond between Nekoma and Karasuno being rekindled.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Eureka Seven END Rewatch

I take the time every year to see this without fail. I wonder if the day will ever come that I will feel differently about this. Hmm.. Time to watch AO.....

So being equal opportunity comes at the cost of reduced popularity, huh...

Well given who rules the roost in terms of things bought, I wouldn't be surprised. I'd say having drama probably hurts it too, but then again, we do have Love Live here.

I mean... I think... unless say... you're fully pandering to women, say like with Free! or unfortunately Kuruko no Basket, you're pretty fucked fanwise. Probably explains why HapCha's fanart output is ridiculously low.

Brynhildr end

Aw man, they royally fucked up this portion of the story. You don't adapt 40+ chapters over two episodes! If I didn't have knowledge of the manga, I would consider this the biggest anti-climax ever. Everything from the fight to the "death" scenes was screwed with.

Elfen Lied's anime ending was better.

CorvoSol

Eureka Seven END Rewatch

I take the time every year to see this without fail. I wonder if the day will ever come that I will feel differently about this. Hmm.. Time to watch AO.....

No don't do the last thing. Keep doing the first thing, but never do that last thing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Brynhildr end

Aw man, they royally fucked up this portion of the story. You don't adapt 40+ chapters over two episodes! If I didn't have knowledge of the manga, I would consider this the biggest anti-climax ever. Everything from the fight to the "death" scenes was screwed with.

Elfen Lied's anime ending was better.

... wait what?

Sounds like I should catch up on this one to the end

cajunator

Banned
Sword Art Online - 17

Mr. Sugou, may I please ask you just what the purpose of all this is? Like, I know you're an asshole who wants to see Asuna suffering, but...why? What are you getting out of this?

Virtual World Domination? Virtual Money and Power? Can you stop being an asshole for just a moment and just EXPLAIN what your goals are? What is your plan? Aside from the things you're no doubt planning on doing to Asuna and her memories? Every villain has a plan and a purpose! Dio had a purpose! Kyubey had a purpose! WHAT IS THE REASON FOR ALL OF THIS?!?

Oh my shit. He gave Asuna the name "Titania". THAT'S ERZA'S BADASS NICKNAME. NOW I CAN'T LOOK AT FAIRY TAIL IN THE SAME WAY AGAIN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

YxSwew8.gif

You. Were. Warned.

Well No Game No Life ended up pretty awesome. Thats 1 out of 3 so far.
Mahouka is ehhh. Dragonar looks like it has some fun potential but I have yet to watch it. theres also the matter of the tentacles thing though...

If being an anime fan means having a borderline disturbing room full of images of an anime character as you put an awkward looking cake encircled by even more pictures of that anime character then yeah I'll pass lol. I'm sure the camera work in those shots is masterful enough that they don't show the body pillows with holes all around the mouth area.

hmmmmmmm

nope. thas not what being an anime fan is. but maybe being a scarily obsessed person..

Pooya

kara no kyoukai future blah blah

ok, this wasn't quite what I was expecting, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, lol. What bugged me the most about the previous episodes was that all those faux deep philosophical talk talk didn't interest me whatsoever and just didn't follow half of the time, this time for the first time it was actually the most sensible yet so much that it was pretty interesting and the movie was structured well around that, it was enjoyable and managed to look 'smart' I suppose rather than be pretentious and gibberish... more like this, maybe Nasu now isn't as sucky as young Nasu, people get better I guess. For some chapter that was written well after the rest, it was integrated nicely to the rest so much that I don't dislike the whole thing as much as before. Ufotable has improved a lot too, was very obvious going from the 2007-8 movies to this one. The movie might feel like a fanservice movie still, but nah overall it was pretty good, I managed to stay 'awake' throughout and have a good time.
It was good to see a glimpse of Hyouka Season 2 too, ufotable picking up that torch where kyoani died

1404070704-3.jpg

extra chorus blah blah

I go to typemoon for tragic characters, was not disappointed.

1404070123-1.jpg

Your hope lives in Mana looks like it, yikes why they do this creepy shit :((

Once again, I'm going to need the Cinderella Girls experts to help figure out who's who in the "Cool" key visual:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201406/29056229.html

wbMd0Bu.jpg

I know Koume in the front, Kaede in the center, Ranko raising her hand, and Rin in the far back right, but nobody else.

Near the front-left with headphones - Riina Tada
Crouching with a finger to her chin - Anastasia
Standing with her hands on Anastasia's shoulders - Mizuki Kawashima
Kneeling at the bottom right - Minami Nitta (this one threw me a bit, as that outfit doesn't feature in any of her cards).
The left of the back trio, wearing a blue striped tie - Nao Kamiya
Middle of the back trio, holding a CD case or book or something - Karen Hojo

CorvoSol

Eh. I'll do it. Just to see what it's like for a third time. =/

I'm going to do it in English this time though. I want to see how bad it is in English.

I've also lost count of how many times I watched E7. Definitely more than 10 now though.

Although I cannot deny that changing languages sometimes helps, unless the English version completely removes Truth as a character, I cannot deal.

Also I wonder if they gave Renton Holland's voice in English.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
kara no kyoukai future blah blah

ok, this wasn't quite what I was expecting, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, lol. What bugged me the most about the previous episodes was that all those faux deep philosophical talk talk didn't interest me whatsoever and just didn't follow half of the time, this time for the first time it was actually the most sensible yet so much that it was pretty interesting and the movie was structured well around that, it was enjoyable and managed to look 'smart' I suppose rather than be pretentious and gibberish... more like this, maybe Nasu now isn't as sucky as young Nasu, people get better I guess. For some chapter that was written well after the rest, it was integrated nicely to the rest so much that I don't dislike the whole thing as much as before. Ufotable has improved a lot too, was very obvious going from the 2007-8 movies to this one. The movie might feel like a fanservice movie still, but nah overall it was pretty good, I managed to stay 'awake' throughout and have a good time.
It's was good to see a glimpse of Hyouka Season 2 too, ufotable picking up that torch where kyoani died

1404070704-3.jpg

extra chorus blah blah

I go to typemoon for tragic characters, was not disappointed.

1404070123-1.jpg

Your hope lives in Mana looks like it, yikes why they do this creepy shit :((

Can't believe you hadn't seen it yet. No more KnK though lol.

Stulaw

Brynhildr END

This was fantastically stupid, no explanation, everything just happens,
how in every fuck can Kazumi walk after being chopped in half? And how the heck it Hatsuna still alive? I know she has regeneration powers, but she melted!
I did enjoy the series nonetheless.

Now I'm off to read the manga to see if it makes sense, Elfen Lied made more sense in the manga, so hopefully this does too.

Articalys

e_i

Anime that has same plot as C3-bu episode 1

Well that was pretty funny. "It's all in their heads." "Haven't I heard your voice before?" I love how the narrator apologized for all the
lead character getting picked on by the other girls cliche.
The whole
Miou poisoning the lead so she can get her to submit her application Weekend at Bernie's style.

Rhapsody

Banned
SAO ended at Episode 14, for me. I've blocked out the rest of it. Looking forward to Season II nonetheless. I'm seriously hoping they don't shit the bed again, though.

The arc they're covering, GGO, is a lot better than the Fairy Dance arc. Fairy Dance was my least favorite big arc.

e_i

Nekomonogatari Tsubasa Family OVAs

Koyomi is such as perv. And his sisters are something else
Karen just takes her top off in front of him. And grabbing Tsuhiki's boobs? Naughty naughty Koyomi.

Wow at the end. Holy crap.
I didn't expect Koyomi to be chopped in half.
I don't understand though
if Sawari Neko is gone, why does she come back in Bakemonogatari and Second Season?

Also, Tsubasa gets a shit load of time in the series, doesn't she?

No Game No Life 12 / SERIES

Pretty decent episode, but overall this series was quite the surprise. I initially thought it was really stupid after the first episode but I'm glad I gave this a chance. I liked the super vibrant art style, the humor and games were great. The fanservice was honestly over the top and the loli pedo bait shit was absolutely awful.

Either way, hope there will be a second season. Nice little cliffhanger there.

docbon

Brynhildr END

This was fantastically stupid, no explanation, everything just happens,
how in every fuck can Kazumi walk after being chopped in half? And how the heck it Hatsuna still alive? I know she has regeneration powers, but she melted!
I did enjoy the series nonetheless.

Now I'm off to read the manga to see if it makes sense, Elfen Lied made more sense in the manga, so hopefully this does too.

mango anime spoilers:

She melted, but she wasn't ejected. They zoomed in on her harness after the fact to show this. In this case, anything short of complete destruction to her brain won't kill her. It was the single thing about the finale that I didn't mind, though it had further implications that removed any tension from the ending.

re: Elfen Lied's ending being better

I agree, though that honestly isn't saying much. Both series seemed pretty terrible, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

cajunator

Banned
SAO ended at Episode 14, for me. I've blocked out the rest of it. Looking forward to Season II nonetheless. I'm seriously hoping they don't shit the bed again, though.

Thats where I dropped it too. Just couldnt go anymore.

S2 was crap anyway, so whatever.

I'm still hoping for adaptations of these

owDn4Uy.jpg

the one with cat ears, adapt that one!!

Near the front-left with headphones - Riina Tada
Crouching with a finger to her chin - Anastasia
Standing with her hands on Anastasia's shoulders - Mizuki Kawashima
Kneeling at the bottom right - Minami Nitta (this one threw me a bit, as that outfit doesn't feature in any of her cards).
The left of the back trio, wearing a blue striped tie - Nao Kamiya
Middle of the back trio, holding a CD case or book or something - Karen Hojo

Thanks for the info!
Have a Kurumi

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Does world building require that you go any further than the initial, basic details of the setting? Sidonia hasn't done much more than saying "here, these are the things that exist," at least so far. I'm not very miffed about that, honestly; a lot's meant to be mysterious at this point, or just doesn't need any real explanation. It's more that nothing's allowed to breathe. I'm saying this without having seen the manga, but it's as if the creator made a solid foundation with great visual concepts, then strove to build the most passionless, cliche ridden thing possible on top of it. The similarities to Attack on Titan haven't gone unnoticed by me, but at the end of their respective first seasons, AoT actually seems smarter. It's a real shame; I think it has more potential than that, not to say that AoT is lacking in flaws.

I have an interest in genre fiction of this particular type, but going into the reasons I find it compelling would take even longer than this post has already, and I don't even know what I was trying to express with it to begin with! So... yeah, I think we're basically in the same boat, being generally frustrated. It sucks seeing the life being choked out of something you believe has potential, but those glimpses of brilliance, even if those are restricted to vague tonal things rather than the big pieces like plot and characters, have kept me coming back up to this point. I don't think they'll be enough from here on, unfortunately.
The problem with most SyFy is that they really don't have the opportunity to just show people living for a while. Consider Dominion and Defiance and Fallen Skies, the summer of shitty live action scifi currently airing on American television. All we really know about these worlds is based on the set design, costume design, and what the characters tell us through exposition. The setting exists as an excuse to get us through a plot, so other than the generic direction of making everything look "post apocalyptic" (each of those shows take place in a ruined American city), there's no real examination of the way things work or how people live.

Sidonia basically comes down to having a giant colony ship in space that could be replaced with any of the ships from Macross. There's no real discussion of how any of the tech works, we just have to accept that this is both one of humanity's final attempts to stave off extinction, yet they somehow manage to find time to build vacation homes and have enough room for giant grave yards.

Admittedly, it's hard to actually try to do world building when your show is necessarily precipitated on constant action. Unless you do the Yamato hack of basically giving a lot of time to the enemy and showing how they live, there's no real opportunity to show anything beyond the token lipservice that they give to various aspects of life aboard the ship. So things like how humans have been genetically engineered to "feed" through photosynthesis, which is a neat gimmick but it's not really explained how this would functionally work.

That's not to say you need world building at all. Star Trek TNG mostly worked with a very loose framework of how life aboard the Enterprise operated because the stories were more about situations and character... the problem is, Sidonia and Attack on Titan aren't really about that per se. The characters aren't interesting on their own, because they are just shounen archetypes. And the stakes associated with the survival of humanity are so generic that it's hard to care if thousands of people are randomly wiped out. So you're sort of left with absolutely nothing to hang on to other than the vague promise of an interesting premise.

5 more days..
He gave us Kuroyukihime. I can't hate him.
SAO-GAF, prepare to take over. :p

----

Brynhildr END was amazing because they melted one final girl. I'd probably feel bad, but they've melted so many characters already that it sort of lost all meaning. They also found a way to reboot everything to basically give manga readers a reason to keep buying the book.

Speaking of which:
Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii
kFraqZbl.png

The second anime this season that I've seen basically tell you about the manga. lol

Marketing aside, this show turned out to be pretty good. Speaking of world building, for a show that only showed two locations in this world, you get an understanding of how everything operates and why the world is the way it is. It wasn't quite an adventure anime, but the glimpses of the world that they did show were interesting to watch.

Probably the only criticism I have is the fact that they grossly misused cliffhangers to try to manufacture moments of drama, where you have sudden tone shifts at the last five minutes of an episode to set up a cliffhanger that literally does not matter. It's not a show about dramatic twists and last minute betrayals, so trying to force that onto the structure of the television airing is very unfortunate.

But really, it has :firehawk
c6wQdTOl.png

So in the grand scheme of things, I can't complain too much. lol

---

And speaking of girls crying because they are moving on with their lives...
Atelier Escha and Logy END
an4rGDGl.jpg

Similarly low stakes like Soredemo Sekai, but it never tries to manufacture drama. Maybe it's because I have no real relationship with the game, but I quite enjoyed the show and how they presented both the world and the quest. The fact that you can have a story where the ultimate goal is to simply explore an ancient ruin (no need to save humanity!) is just a refreshing touch for a fantasy series, and it feels very much like an RPG about living rather than about fighting. I have no idea how the final boss battle would have played out in the game itself, but the fact that the battle was fairly minimized so that the denouement could be highlighted is much appreciated. The fact that there's quite a bit of pathos in the ending, beyond the fact that Escha and Logy don't hook up (boo!) is an interesting touch as well, and makes me wonder if there's a "better" ending in the game.

Also, I guess these are the characters for the next game?
xVx2a49l.jpg

----

Mekakucity Actors END
I will say, at least the general structure of the show makes sense given the ending. The show is literally about assembling a group of characters because the Big Bad needs them to all get together, so having that happen throughout the series makes perfect sense.

The fact that getting them all together works against the Big Bad is perfect as well, because the bonds of friendship outweigh the destiny that is supposed to happen when all the powers of the snake are brought together. It's very much like Persona 4 in that regard.

That said, and I don't know if this is SHAFT or if it's because the source material is a series of music videos, but it was also a lot more obtuse than it really needed to be. Sort of like how Sasami was structured, come to think of it.

(At least this was the better SHAFT show this season!)

----

A new show?
Sabagebu 1

Take the premise of Stella: The Line and cross it with KKK or D-Frag (or even Binbogami) and I think you have a show that I can fully get behind. It looks ugly, sure, but I appreciate that it just goes for it at times:
Vmde5Gjl.png

The thumb tacks in the shoe thing will never cease to be funny for me. Thanks Ace wo Nerae for making this a trope. lol

I think the other thing that's sort of interesting is that like KKK, you have a relatively unknown cast. You have someone doing what sounds like a Sawashiro impression, but otherwise there's no real distinct voice because no one is quite expressing a type (One of the seiyuu is a mascot character from DokiDoki of all things).

I suppose we're starting into the new cycle of seiyuu as the old ones are slowly retired to the idol farm?

cajunator

Banned
He did give us Kuroyukihime and thats why Im putting some faith into him not fucking up this time. But this was likely written before Accel World so were all doomed anyways.

Midonin

I think the other thing that's sort of interesting is that like KKK, you have a relatively unknown cast.
Except for Lynn, I wouldn't say any of them are "relatively unknown". At least from the kinds of anime I've followed. And Ayaka Ohashi is better known as Ran from Aikatsu or Uzume from last year's Fantasista Dolls anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom