• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brynhildr END

This was fantastically stupid, no explanation, everything just happens,
how in every fuck can Kazumi walk after being chopped in half? And how the heck it Hatsuna still alive? I know she has regeneration powers, but she melted!
I did enjoy the series nonetheless.

Now I'm off to read the manga to see if it makes sense, Elfen Lied made more sense in the manga, so hopefully this does too.

Manga spoilers:
Kazumi gets healed by Hatsuna as both "died" in the same place. The former was also decapitated, so no talk about dying a virgin and whatnot.

Brynhildr in the Darkness 13 END

Whoever thought it'd be good to adapt certain segments of the manga while skipping a bunch of stuff matters in-between the segments should be fired. This anime started off really good until the 2nd half of the Nanami Arc. Then the pacing went turbo and they started skipping a lot of character development and plot and eventually in the final episode they were almost skipping to another chapter everytime there was a cut. Terrible job. They should've just adapted up to the Skadi arc and then leave room for a second season or something. The Hexenjagd were completely pointless in the anime, tons of character development got dropped -- just all-around bad.

The best thing about the anime is it got me to read the manga.

Clov

The only anime related thing I can think of relating to that acronym is edit: Nothing at all, because I shouldn't type out things while watching anime. Whoops.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only anime related thing I can think of relating to that acronym is Kyouran Kazoku Nikki.
When did the letter N become K?

The fact so many don't know of AotY 2013 Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku is probably one of the most tragic things I've seen in this thread. You all upset me.

Clov

When did the letter N become K?

The fact so many don't know of AotY 2013 Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku is probably one of the most tragic things I've seen in this thread. You all upset me.

Yeah, big mistake on my part. Distracted while typing.

As for that anime, heard of it but never watched it. Is it really that good? I know NISA picked it up.

Pooya

just looked at the summer chart, this is what I'll do probably;

will watch to the end no matter what

Aldnoah.Zero because it should be good
SAO2 because it's too late for me :( could be fun anyway

Cautiously optimistic

Watanabe in terror, well his recent works don't do it for me maybe this changes that.

I have no clue what this is but looks like might be decent

Argevollen, it's by to love ru staff right? yeeeaah, xebec can be good if they want to, dunno probably watch a few episodes.

maaaaybe
p4g, at this rate i'll never play golden, didn't watch p4a so might.
free! 2 if somehow it manages to be good, naaah.

CorvoSol

Macross F 9

I enjoy this show because not only is it a trashy soap opera, but also because it is an insane Macross trashy soap opera.

Not even mad anymore Kawamori. I'm not even mad.

Syrinx

Aria: The Animation 3

Akari's dynamic with Akatsuki was pretty funny. I liked Akari talking about that old (really fucking old) man while Akatsuki was waiting for his brother, and her saying that she specializes in making something so insignificant into something fun. Kinda the show in a nutshell. Having Alice around for their first real interaction since that short phone call in the first episode was interesting and it worked out well.

Shot from Ukijima was nice.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
So the new season of SAO is upon us and I for one can't wait. I did however want to take this opportunity to get to the bottom of something. A strong deep-seeded base of hate for this series claims that's its pandering and that's why it deserves hate. Granted that the show was far from perfectly executed, shows of that length never are. First season was better than the second, etc... there's always something to pick and pull apart when it comes to anime be it constraint-based development or simply choice of style. These topics, however for SAO, are just peripheral as the main complaint leveled against it is that "it's pandering" (Says the guy with body pillows of figurines with easily accessible up-skirt poses of any number of animes). Is it because SAO is/was so popular that generic complaints that are expected to mean something more than they typically would? I've even heard SAO called sexist by people who have smut on their top five list of animes.

I'm not trying to start anything here. I just wanted to tap into the community impressions and see if theirs a level-head reason why anytime SAO is brought up, people shit the bed.

RoeBear

I never thought I could watch a sports anime but Haikyu is too good.

Brynhildr was just horrible. I'd rank it with watching Magical Warfare from last season.

kara no kyoukai future blah blah

ok, this wasn't quite what I was expecting, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, lol. What bugged me the most about the previous episodes was that all those faux deep philosophical talk talk didn't interest me whatsoever and just didn't follow half of the time, this time for the first time it was actually the most sensible yet so much that it was pretty interesting and the movie was structured well around that, it was enjoyable and managed to look 'smart' I suppose rather than be pretentious and gibberish... more like this, maybe Nasu now isn't as sucky as young Nasu, people get better I guess. For some chapter that was written well after the rest, it was integrated nicely to the rest so much that I don't dislike the whole thing as much as before. Ufotable has improved a lot too, was very obvious going from the 2007-8 movies to this one. The movie might feel like a fanservice movie still, but nah overall it was pretty good, I managed to stay 'awake' throughout and have a good time.
It's was good to see a glimpse of Hyouka Season 2 too, ufotable picking up that torch where kyoani died

1404070704-3.jpg

extra chorus blah blah

I go to typemoon for tragic characters, was not disappointed.

1404070123-1.jpg

Your hope lives in Mana looks like it, yikes why they do this creepy shit :((

The Fate universe confuses me so much -___-

All I know is that Fate/Stay night is first and then Fate/zero and that the sequel is much much better.

btw is akama ga kill magna any good? any reason to pay attention to the anime?

I love it as a brutal battle shounen with a good art style and sense of action/speed with relatively impressive fight choreography and totally insane characters.

Other people hate it as something that's "too edgy to the point of ineffective emotional manipulation" and "a good waifu-killer".

How the anime turns out remains to be seen.

hipbabboom

Who is this guy?

Not going to say :-| Let's just say the internet is a big place and you can't expect to find everything in your neighborhood (even though you typically do).

#nofingerpointing

I never thought I could watch a sports anime but Haikyu is too good.

Brynhildr was just horrible. I'd rank it with watching Magical Warfare from last season.

Man! I forgot this show ever happened.

RoeBear

Man! I forgot this show ever happened.

I think that's probably the harshest comparison one could draw that's not Pupa.

It's sad that it took me like ten minutes of searching crunchyroll to figure out which anime I was thinking of.

It's just the fact that this weekend marked the end of two series I had a lot of hope for which felt like train wrecks. Mekakucity Actors reminded me of heroes but with more potential. I'm still scratching my head about that one, but it's still not a bad ending, like Brynhildr.

Silvawuff

Brynhildr 13 -

This series started so strong! I found it super gripping at times, but yeah -- the pacing was just terribly rushed and it lost its many story threads to pointlessness. I think this anime might have "found itself" if it was spread across 26 episodes.

cajunator

Banned
So the new season of SAO is upon us and I for one can't wait. I did however want to take this opportunity to get to the bottom of something. A strong deep-seeded base of hate for this series claims that's its pandering and that's why it deserves hate. Granted that the show was far from perfectly executed, shows of that length never are. First season was better than the second, etc... there's always something to pick and pull apart when it comes to anime be it constraint-based development or simply choice of style. These topics, however for SAO, are just peripheral as the main complaint leveled against it is that "it's pandering" (Says the guy with body pillows of figurines with easily accessible up-skirt poses of any number of animes). Is it because SAO is/was so popular that generic complaints that are expected to mean something more than they typically would? I've even heard SAO called sexist by people who have smut on their top five list of animes.

I'm not trying to start anything here. I just wanted to tap into the community impressions and see if theirs a level-head reason why anytime SAO is brought up, people shit the bed.

I dont care about pandering. The show was stupid on so many other levels the worst of which was introducing a bunch of fun characters and then completely neglecting them for a bunch of forgettable ones.

As for that anime, heard of it but never watched it. Is it really that good? I know NISA picked it up.

Maybe not AotY, but it was a fun comedy show. Like any comedy show it depends on your personal taste in comedy if you find it funny though. The few jokes that require knowledge of Japanese literature or language is maybe not that understandable, but the reference and 4th wall breaking humor was funny. I'd say it's worth checking out, but if you don't like it after episode 4 when it gets good then drop it.

Mature

Macross F 9

I enjoy this show because not only is it a trashy soap opera, but also because it is an insane Macross trashy soap opera.

Not even mad anymore Kawamori. I'm not even mad.
How's the CG stuff? Legitimately have never seen any of Frontier. And not a fan of the character design.

hipbabboom

I dont care about pandering. The show was stupid on so many other levels the worst of which was introducing a bunch of fun characters and then completely neglecting them for a bunch of forgettable ones.

So.... not enough pandering then.

BTW: are you talking about Lizbeth for example? Barf :3
:lol

Season one felt paced to fast for me. I'm not sure if it was the depth of the source material or what but I also felt like I didn't get enough of certain arcs. I wouldn't say a show is terrible for leaving me wanting more though.

Chariot

Brynhildr 13 -

This series started so strong! I found it super gripping at times, but yeah -- the pacing was just terribly rushed and it lost its many story threads to pointlessness. I think this anime might have "found itself" if it was spread across 26 episodes.
I've read the manga and don't think so. Only solurion would've been if they were allowed to take the basesetup and make it their own way. And even then it's still Arms.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Crunchyroll updated the SAO picture to season 2, my body isn't sure if its ready?
So I have a thread ready to go for it and I notice an old SAO2 thread was bumped. Guess now is the time to post it?

EDIT: Though since it is late I may leave it till tomorrow.

cajunator

Banned
So.... not enough pandering then.

BTW: are you talking about Lizbeth for example? Barf :3
:lol

Season one felt paced to fast for me. I'm not sure if it was the depth of the source material or what but I also felt like I didn't get enough of certain arcs. I wouldn't say a show is terrible for leaving me wanting more though.

lizbest is easily my favorite yes.

Pooya

The Fate universe confuses me so much -___-

All I know is that Fate/Stay night is first and then Fate/zero and that the sequel is much much better.

sounds like you don't know even that right :\
it's ok, it can be confusing. Like knk has nothing to do with Fate SN other than a little brief cameo, alternate universes isn't exactly it either, it's more like same guy used similar ideas several times to make different properties, now some characters are shared between them, notably Aozaki family and similar themes with magic and magus, beyond that they're standalone as it gets.

High five, I also think Mirai Fukuin is 2nd best KnK entry.. give me hope to new F/SN because the director and chara designer being brought to there.

yeah, it was really good.

hipbabboom

what the fuck is this "Escha & Logy no Atelier: Tasogare no Sora no Renkinjutsushi" show and should I watch it?

If you can handle a slice-of-life pace then I would say its worth watching. The main character sometimes feels like a special-needs person the way she's coddled but I enjoy what I've seen of it so far. You've probably seen worse this season already.

lizbest is easily my favorite yes.

Best character voice and song after Leafa's Sky the Graffiti and Kiritos Sword and Soul.

I'm so delighted that her reach is this broad that it can appeal to two very unique personalities. I think she was part of the segment of the series where the quality bar was pretty high but her arc (side-story) was perhaps the weakest in that segment. I don't think this is a case of Queen of shit mountain though which it think the general narrative of the series devolved to when fans of a particular character felt their goddess wasn't given the proper respect that was deserved.

Articalys

Love Live! S2 ep.13 (END)

That was a nice finale. But with the movie on the way, there's still at least one more story for μ's to tell!

CorvoSol

How's the CG stuff? Legitimately have never seen any of Frontier. And not a fan of the character design.

It's not exactly great, and it's a far fall from DYRL and +'s beautiful mecha, but on the other hand, since Valkyries are all about moving around fast and spinning and such, it works better than other CGI mecha shows because that weird weightless feeling that most CGI mecha has isn't a problem. Honestly it isn't good, but I'm not minding it nearly as much as I thought I would.

As to character design, I think I'm mostly okay with that. The show takes every shot at how girly Alto looks, which I like, and of course it has some um, pandering that one might expect given how all that went down in Macross 7, but the only character whose design outright bugs me is Klan. When Klan is a microne, she's like at most physically ten years old, but when she's a full grown Meltran, she's this hyper-sexualized woman who I think kinda extends beyond terms like bombshell or model and into just plain tacky. It's a gag that I don't think needed to be attached to a character of her importance in the plot, but FWIW the show does at least manage to stop for five seconds and show you how awful her life is as someone who is never really any one thing.

I think part of the reason character design isn't pissing me off is because I just finished Macross 7 and Macross 7 has so many truly awful character designs.

Animation quality is pretty spotty, though, tbh. Numerous times character faces look off-model to me.

CAN I PROPOSE AN ONLINE SHOPPING SIM TITLED STORE MART ONLINE? - 18

This villain is a bad villain. There is absolutley no reason for him to be doing what he's doing. No purpose whatsoever. He's just a guy doing shit.

And yet for some reason I'm finding myself getting some weird satisfaction out of how twisted this guy is because he has Dio's voice actor. I can't get the image of Dio out of my head every time this guy speaks.

What's not entertaining is the fact that Kirito has turned into Link. Yeah! The guy spends time with some other lady who he doesn't know is his own SISTER WHO'S IN LOVE WITH HIM AFKJSHAKDJFSKJFS while his Princess is locked away in a birdcage in a tower

So let's see the flow of this show here shall we?

In episodes 1-6 Kirito was Batman. A super-powerful guy who was all mysterious and strong at SAO.
In episodes 7-14 He was a Visual Novel Protagonist. Getting the attention of Asuna and living the virtual good life with her.
And from episodes 15 and onwards he's now a Link imitator. He has elf ears, and has to save his princess from the clutches of an evil emperor with another girl as his sidekick helping him along.

This show's about as balanced as a drunk man on a tightrope carrying anvils.

fertygo

This villain is a bad villain. There is absolutley no reason for him to be doing what he's doing. No purpose whatsoever. He's just a guy doing shit.

And yet for some reason I'm finding myself getting some weird satisfaction out of how twisted this guy is because he has Dio's voice actor. I can't get the image of Dio out of my head every time this guy speaks.

What's not entertaining is the fact that Kirito has turned into Link. Yeah! The guy spends time with some other lady who he doesn't know is his own SISTER WHO'S IN LOVE WITH HIM AFKJSHAKDJFSKJFS while his Princess is locked away in a birdcage in a tower

So let's see the flow of this show here shall we?

In episodes 1-6 Kirito was Batman. A super-powerful guy who was all mysterious and strong at SAO.
In episodes 7-14 He was a Visual Novel Protagonist. Getting the attention of Asuna and living the virtual good life with her.
And from episodes 15 and onwards he's now a Link imitator. He has elf ears, and has to save his princess from the clutches of an evil emperor with another girl as his sidekick helping him along.

This show's about as balanced as a drunk man on a tightrope carrying anvils.

Sugou or whatever his name have purpose its just not told yet.. out of all thing its very awkward complaint to me, its not like the villain motivation revealed later is weird thing in storytelling.

edit: crap double post

I found that, despite being terrible, the villain was the best part of the second half because he was so terrible.

I found that, despite being terrible, the villain was the best part of the second half because he was so terrible.

All I've seen this guy do whenever he's on screen is
make horrible gestures to Asuna. That's it. No evil scheming, no going around kicking puppies or whatever, just screwing around with the hero's girlfriend.

The fact that he has Dio's voice is his only little saving grace. But even that's stretching it.

The 'when you buy online you buy in real life' joke was already cracked two years ago.

Then I guess I'll have to stick with the online exercise sim game "Sore Arms Online".

All I've seen this guy do whenever he's on screen is
make horrible gestures to Asuna. That's it. No evil scheming, no going around kicking puppies or whatever, just screwing around with the hero's girlfriend.

The fact that he has Dio's voice is his only little saving grace. But even that's stretching it.

Then I guess I'll have to stick with the online exercise sim game "Sore Arms Online".

He does one thing later that's hilarious.

Jintor

Is it because SAO is/was so popular that generic complaints that are expected to mean something more than they typically would? I've even heard SAO called sexist by people who have smut on their top five list of animes.

I think this is absolutely the reason, though I don't agree with your wording. If SAO was a niche show with only a few die-hard adherents it wouldn't receive nearly the amount of criticism, but the fact that it's popular despite its unerring low quality (even in the first season, to say nothing of the second season) means that detractors are more tempted to vocally speak out against it.

To put it another way, it'd be just as problematic in quality, pacing, characterisation, unerring sexism etc whether it was popular or not, but criticism is louder because detractors are baffled by the people who can't or won't see its flaws.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He did give us Kuroyukihime and thats why Im putting some faith into him not fucking up this time. But this was likely written before Accel World so were all doomed anyways.
I don't believe that Accel World is better than SAO! lol

Shallote hnnnnnnnng, hope there's an anime of that sometime after Shallie comes out.

Though I still need to actually play Escha & Logy.
If they make anime I can keep the games sealed at least. :p

Did they manage to get Logy's face right at least once?
You make it sound like they remember that Logy exists.
What's a Logy? Escha is besta!

Except for Lynn, I wouldn't say any of them are "relatively unknown". At least from the kinds of anime I've followed. And Ayaka Ohashi is better known as Ran from Aikatsu or Uzume from last year's Fantasista Dolls anyhow.
Well, I mean, they've mostly been bit players and whatnot. I skimmed through each of their voiceographies or whatever and nothing really stands out. Certainly they're not total newcomers like the KKK cast, but they're also "B-tier" if you want to call them that.

KKK eh? You trying to get me to watch this?
That got me interested too :p
It has the rhythm of a straight man being surrounded by a bunch of idiots, and the show seems to be skit based as well!

I don't know what KKK is, so I'm gonna pretend you're referring to the Ku Klux Klan just for a chuckle.
I see the thread has run with this interpretation once again. Any excuse to bring up KKK is a good one!

Aria: The Animation 3

Akari's dynamic with Akatsuki was pretty funny. I liked Akari talking about that old (really fucking old) man while Akatsuki was waiting for his brother, and her saying that she specializes in making something so insignificant into something fun. Kinda the show in a nutshell. Having Alice around for their first real interaction since that short phone call in the first episode was interesting and it worked out well.

Shot from Ukijima was nice.
I think you're close to the episode that 7th (RIP) despises. lol

Articalys

So when is the new thread going to go up anyway? Black Bullet and SEN push the season right up the borderline with their finales on Tuesday, but I'm guessing no one really wants to wait just for those two shows.

At any rate, for me at least, spring is DONE!
Bring on the summer!

cajunator

Banned
I don't believe that Accel World is better than SAO! lol

If they make anime I can keep the games sealed at least. :p

What's a Logy? Escha is besta!

Well, I mean, they've mostly been bit players and whatnot. I skimmed through each of their voiceographies or whatever and nothing really stands out. Certainly they're not total newcomers like the KKK cast, but they're also "B-tier" if you want to call them that.

It has the rhythm of a straight man being surrounded by a bunch of idiots, and the show seems to be skit based as well!

I see the thread has run with this interpretation once again. Any excuse to bring up KKK is a good one!

I think you're close to the episode that 7th (RIP) despises. lol

Accel World is infinitely better than SAO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom