• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

It's not exactly great, and it's a far fall from DYRL and +'s beautiful mecha, but on the other hand, since Valkyries are all about moving around fast and spinning and such, it works better than other CGI mecha shows because that weird weightless feeling that most CGI mecha has isn't a problem. Honestly it isn't good, but I'm not minding it nearly as much as I thought I would.

As to character design, I think I'm mostly okay with that. The show takes every shot at how girly Alto looks, which I like, and of course it has some um, pandering that one might expect given how all that went down in Macross 7, but the only character whose design outright bugs me is Klan. When Klan is a microne, she's like at most physically ten years old, but when she's a full grown Meltran, she's this hyper-sexualized woman who I think kinda extends beyond terms like bombshell or model and into just plain tacky. It's a gag that I don't think needed to be attached to a character of her importance in the plot, but FWIW the show does at least manage to stop for five seconds and show you how awful her life is as someone who is never really any one thing.

I think part of the reason character design isn't pissing me off is because I just finished Macross 7 and Macross 7 has so many truly awful character designs.

Animation quality is pretty spotty, though, tbh. Numerous times character faces look off-model to me.
It's too bad a celebrated franchise like Macross didn't get titles with a bigger/better production later in it's life span. Would love to see a Yamato 2199 esq rebirthing of the series.

Midonin

I skimmed through each of their voiceographies or whatever and nothing really stands out.
Rumi Ookubo has had major roles in Yuru Yuri, Sengoku Collection and has already been a Precure.
Yumi Uchiyama has been in several kinds of series, including Momiji in Binbougami.
Nao Toyama is probably the biggest name on that list. She got her start with Kanon in KamiNomi and has plenty of others, including characters in fan favorites Hataraku Maou-sama and OreGairu.

Maybe we have different ideas of "standout".

kill la kill 20-22

Was really good until now but quickly diving into mediocrity.
Why does Ryuko have such a change of heart? She shouldn't be getting that angry to learn who she really is, she wasn't even that informed about the whole grand life fiber plot like Satsuki, and that girl kept her cool since she was 5. And to throw away Senketsu just like that, what a terrible friend. "shit I was a monster all this time I hate the world now leave me the fuck alone". Gets another dress, completely changes her character and turns into a villain yawn. How many tropes can this show throw at you.

And Mako Mankanshoku was fun and cute, but she is irritating now, repeating that silly little show of hers that saves the day. Actually the whole show is kinda getting boring.

CorvoSol

It's too bad a celebrated franchise like Macross didn't get titles with a bigger/better production later in it's life span. Would love to see a Yamato 2199 esq rebirthing of the series.

I kind of think Macross 7 took the franchise in a direction it did not need to go and from which it cannot entirely pull back.

Clov

Speaking of Macross, I just finished Macross Plus! Thought it was good overall. The animation was great, especially that concert scene in episode 2. Wasn't a fan of the protagonist though. I warmed up to him a bit by the last episode, but he still came across as kind of a dick, I thought. Not that Guld was a whole lot better or anything, but still. I think I still like DYRL better than this one; the finale in that one was fantastic.

Superflat

kill la kill 20-22

Was really good until now but quickly diving into mediocrity.

The last quarter loses a lot of steam because it felt like everyone was just sitting around and scratching their asses until the finale. Inexplicable events happen for the purpose of stalling/limp character drama, and most of the cast at this point are stretched beyond what they're written to do.

Generally speaking I quite liked the show, but it suffered from more flaws than I wanted/expected from a show like this.

Kingdom s2 Episode 38
BrVjEabCYAEgTOR.png:large
One more to go, the developments were good for a penultimate episode, still didnt do much to get me convinced the anime wouldnt end on a cliffhanger
worst with Mu showing up at the end of this episode when Xin was leaving the tiny kingdom of Xu, a confrontation or worst is inevitable.

Chengjiao plot will be good to follow if an s3 is made I hope.

Action was great, always love when they do the scene with the big ones swinging their clubs blowing folks back.

Quasar

If her flag breaks - the end - Well that was an end. Wonder how it relates to the novels. Original end? novels continue on beyond this story point?

Baby Steps 13 - What a dumb opponent concept.

Soma

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence [Rewatch]

Watching Blade Runner for the first time earlier this week got me in the mood to watch some more cyberpunk stuff so I ended up revisiting this film.

So first off this is a sequel to the original 1995 movie which I'm sure everyone here knows is critically aclaimed, very influential, blah blah blah. The Stand Alone Complex series are also well regarded from a lot of people but I usually don't hear a whole lot about Innocence whenever the GiTS name is brought up. I even had a friend recently who's a big fan of the series yet had no idea that an actual sequel film for the first one existed until I brought it up. Personal anecdotes aside, it's definitely a lot less popular than its predecessor and, to be perfectly honest, is a weaker film in comparison. That said though, I still feel like it's a great movie even after watching it a second time.

For one thing, a lot of details instantly became clearer the second time around. It's not necessarily a tough film to follow but it can lose you at times if you're not paying attention to certain details. The investigation itself was a lot clearer to me and as a result felt more interesting, even more than a lot of the cases presented in the SAC series. Of course that meant having to hear the dozens of philosophical quotes once again which is undoubtedly a weak factor of the film. I see what Oshii tried to do here but it comes off too heavy handed at times. The film isn't without some actual decent dialogue though. The brief conversations between the two main characters really drive home Togusa's feelings of inadequacy of being Batou's new replacement partner and Batou's overall feeling of emptiness in light of Kusanagi's disappearance. In a film where emotion is almost nowhere to be seen, the dialogue and narrative still does a good job at highlighting what these characters are feeling.

Also not gonna lie, the CG.... not a great as I remember it being. For a film that's 10 years old it's still pretty good but when you've got a predecessor made back in 1995 that still looks every bit as impressive to this day, you can definitely see the argument against CG usage. Thankfully it's bolstered by some really great art direction. The parade scene is still as stunning as I remembered it being with Kawai's fantastic music triumphantly backing it up. The UI design is great as expected and there's some very memorable architecture and interior design too. The last third of the movie ends with a very tense action set piece with lots of great traditional animation and features a really great scene with the
brief reunion between Batou and Kusanagi.
So yeah still really enjoyed this film despite the fact that it will always live under the shadow of the original. It doesn't introduce very many new ideas to the franchise but It's interesting to see something that's not focused on the Major and instead gives focus to Batou who's a really interesting character in his own right. All in all I still find the films a much more satisfying experience than the SAC series. The pacing is a lot slower and more methodical but I appreciate how stylistically different these films play out in comparison. The fantastic direction and superior atmosphere wins me over every time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kanon 1
HLSINTHl.jpg

Uguuu~~~

I really have no idea what to make of this show... so far it seems fairly bland, but I'm assuming there is some tragic past that makes this all very Key. I hope it's not because they're living in purgatory or something like the most recent Key shows. :p

---

LOGH 3-4
a4YOe9Nl.jpg

Hey, the one black dude left alive in the universe!

Uuvfw6Pl.jpg

This whole war being fought by a siscon. It's like an anime Helen of Troy.

Yeah, I actually watched the first four ages ago and it just didn't grab me in any way. I decided to skip the battle because I remember it just being relatively nonsensical being both on a 2d plane and involving absurd numbers, but having the aftermath introduce some of the characters on both sides is probably a good enough refresher.

There is something to be said about the fact that both sides of this war seem pretty terrible in their own regard. I'm not sure if they want you to root for both main characters and decide to make everyone else around them terrible human beings as a way to compensate for that... but it's an interesting approach I suppose. That said, I have to imagine that unless this drags on to a 100 episode stalemate, at some point the show will pick a side, whether you want it to or not.

---

Utena 14
52J4ujtl.jpg

A well placed thumb. The fact that this scene was in a confessional was something special as well. lol

lkmlzAEl.jpg

pRYrVnxl.jpg

Not that EDs are supposed to be indicative of anything, but I assume they want you to think that Anthy's brother is the prince and that there's some weirdness between the Anthy and her brother.
Certainly it evokes a love triangle anyway.

But yeah, I actually watched up to 16 when the BDs came out, but I figure I would start at the beginning of the second arc again and just fill in the gaps later if I can't remember the details. I kind of don't have anything to say, other than I expect the show to go through a series of fights involving people being emotionally manipulated by Mikage until they finally face off with each other face to face.

On an unrelated note, it looks so good remastered. If Rightstuf/Nozomi really is serious about moving into BDs finally, I hope they consider this show as a prime candidate.
(Well, as owners of the Aria license, of course I would rather they do an Aria BD first...)

Clov

Yeah, I'm still a fan of Innocence even though I don't like it as much as the original. Even though it's weaker, an Oshii film is still an Oshii film, and I just love his work in anime. The whole sequence inside the mansion was amazing, I thought. I hope I'll be able to find Bandai's Blu-Ray of it for a decent price one day; if not I'll either import or wait for someone to rerelease it.

On an unrelated note, it looks so good remastered. If Rightstuf/Nozomi really is serious about moving into BDs finally, I hope they consider this show as a prime candidate.
(Well, as owners of the Aria license, of course I would rather they do an Aria BD first...)

My hope as well! Maybe at Anime Expo.

As for Aria, there's no BDs out in Japan just yet, but they were announced a while back. It's just a matter of waiting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He was one of those yuri shipping bullshitters, right? If it concerns that I'll be fine.
He hates it because it's an anime original episode that, if you want to think of it that way, is fairly contrived. lol

Rumi Ookubo has had major roles in Yuru Yuri, Sengoku Collection and has already been a Precure.
Yumi Uchiyama has been in several kinds of series, including Momiji in Binbougami.
Nao Toyama is probably the biggest name on that list. She got her start with Kanon in KamiNomi and has plenty of others, including characters in fan favorites Hataraku Maou-sama and OreGairu.

Maybe we have different ideas of "standout".
Sure, in my mind, there's the Sawashiro/Hanazawa/Kugimiya tier of actors and then there are people older than them that have completely disappeared and people younger than them that haven't appeared in 4 anime in a season at the same time.

My hope as well! Maybe at Anime Expo.

As for Aria, there's no BDs out in Japan just yet, but they were announced a while back. It's just a matter of waiting.
Yeah, they announced them, but there hasn't really been any movement. I hope it's still going... and I kind of hope that they're planning on doing the whole series and not just the first one. I wonder if that might be the reason for the delay.

Clov

Yeah, they announced them, but there hasn't really been any movement. I hope it's still going... and I kind of hope that they're planning on doing the whole series and not just the first one. I wonder if that might be the reason for the delay.

That's my guess as well, that they're doing a BD-Box for the entire series. I hope there's a bit of news on it before the year ends at least.

CorvoSol

We can't collectively decide that it didn't happen? =(

I'll make you a deal: if we can somehow force Japan to admit that ZZ Gundam happened and is important, then we can throw away Macross 7 forever. Unfortunately we live in an alternate reality where nobody forgets Macross 7 and everybody forgets ZZ.

Speaking of Macross, I just finished Macross Plus! Thought it was good overall. The animation was great, especially that concert scene in episode 2. Wasn't a fan of the protagonist though. I warmed up to him a bit by the last episode, but he still came across as kind of a dick, I thought. Not that Guld was a whole lot better or anything, but still. I think I still like DYRL better than this one; the finale in that one was fantastic.

I still think that DYRL is the best the franchise has ever offered. Plus is good in many ways, but I kinda hated the cast. Granted, the point was that they were messed up people, but I still hated how main guy saved the day by being extremely lucky and dumb.

Macross F 10

In the meantime, I'm in love with this Sheryl girl. And it has nothing to do with that money, or the oodles of confidence, and everything to do with the fact that her sole purpose in life and in the show is to act like she's good friends with Ranka while simultaneously ruining every last thing in Ranka's life.

FOR INSTANCE:

"Alto look, I just transferred here to your school!"
Hey that's cool but SO DID SHERYL.
"Alto look, we're in a kissing scene!"
Hey I can't hear you at the moment because I'm currently tongue wrestling Sheryl.
"Alto look, I'm gonna be in a movie!"
Hey that's cool but I'm kinda busy doing a movie WITH SHERYL.
"Alto look I can sing really pretty!"
"Hey, that's cool but SHERYL.

I just love it. It's so terribly contrived, but it all is contrived for the sake of making Ranka suffer, and I can't resist it. This is perhaps the most one-sided love triangle in the entire franchise. Sheryl is dancing circles around Ranka, and it's high comedy to me.

cajunator

Banned
Kanon 1
HLSINTHl.jpg

Uguuu~~~

I really have no idea what to make of this show... so far it seems fairly bland, but I'm assuming there is some tragic past that makes this all very Key. I hope it's not because they're living in purgatory or something like the most recent Key shows. :p

---

LOGH 3-4
a4YOe9Nl.jpg

Hey, the one black dude left alive in the universe!

Uuvfw6Pl.jpg

This whole war being fought by a siscon. It's like an anime Helen of Troy.

Yeah, I actually watched the first four ages ago and it just didn't grab me in any way. I decided to skip the battle because I remember it just being relatively nonsensical being both on a 2d plane and involving absurd numbers, but having the aftermath introduce some of the characters on both sides is probably a good enough refresher.

There is something to be said about the fact that both sides of this war seem pretty terrible in their own regard. I'm not sure if they want you to root for both main characters and decide to make everyone else around them terrible human beings as a way to compensate for that... but it's an interesting approach I suppose. That said, I have to imagine that unless this drags on to a 100 episode stalemate, at some point the show will pick a side, whether you want it to or not.

---

Utena 14
52J4ujtl.jpg

A well placed thumb. The fact that this scene was in a confessional was something special as well. lol

lkmlzAEl.jpg

pRYrVnxl.jpg

Not that EDs are supposed to be indicative of anything, but I assume they want you to think that Anthy's brother is the prince and that there's some weirdness between the Anthy and her brother.
Certainly it evokes a love triangle anyway.

But yeah, I actually watched up to 16 when the BDs came out, but I figure I would start at the beginning of the second arc again and just fill in the gaps later if I can't remember the details. I kind of don't have anything to say, other than I expect the show to go through a series of fights involving people being emotionally manipulated by Mikage until they finally face off with each other face to face.

:O

*speechless

Puchimas!! - 74
Why did this had to end ?

Puchimass!! you were so good. i want a S3.

My favorites of S2 were
-Cockroaches
-Happy birthday
-Tekken
-Urban legends

This show was awesome.
Too bad it's over.

Knights of Sidonia 1-6

So I've been playing catch up on a whole bunch of shows recently (finally watched Chaika for example), and Knights of Sidonia was one of the ones on my list. I went in 100% blind as to what the show was about, so imagine my surprise when I discovered it was primarily made using CG models. I had absolutely no clue. Hahaha.

That being said, all CG makes for a consistent experience, so once I got used to the look, I was totally fine. I think the direction here is really solid, as is shot choice. The whole shebang feels a lot more cinematic than many shows.

Narratively, I love this weird fucked up version of the future. Stuff like a third sex is pretty cool, and the identical sisters threw me for a loop.
I had a feeling this shit would get dark based off of the monster design in the first episode alone, but damn. I imagine it's only going to get worse from here, especially considering episode 6 ends with one of the main characters dying offscreen. Hahaha OTL.

Really digging it though. I've been craving some solid scifi.

Also, Log Horizon finished:

I felt burned by SAO a few years back, but I really really enjoyed Log Horizon. The show doesn't even try to explore why the characters have been trapped in this weird virtual world, and I'm totally ok with that. I think it does a good job of sticking to its internal logic, and there are points where you can definitely tell the source material was written by Mamare Touno. I loved reading his Maoyuu books, and considering the wait until next season, I'll probably just pick up volumes 6 and 7 and read them myself.

Brynhildr in the Darkness
The source material, she screams in pain. If their was any hope for a second season, it was promptly executed in these last two episodes. Its a shame because the manga is actually decent.

Clov

Yeah, I hope so. Of course, since Toradora BD was like 500 bucks, I'm going to assume that an Aria complete BD set would be a grand if not more? Wallet am cry. :(

It'll be expensive, for sure. Only chance for a reasonably priced release is if RightStuf finally starts putting out BDs.

Speaking of import BDs (and relevant given all the Kara no Kyoukai chatter), does the standard BD set of the seven films have English subtitles? If they're the same discs as the collectors edition, it should, but I'm not certain.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Love Live S2 13
Honoka is probably deranged. She's giving the speech for the graduating class but nothing about it has much to do with the vast majority of those the ceremony is for. But she loves songs, and that's the only way she knows how to express herself: so she sings them a song that isn't really relevant in any way. Breaking down most of the scenes reduces them to something that doesn't make much sense. Odd props that appear out of nowhere that would typically be visual gags just kind of stick around and become part of reality, most notably here:
There were lots of insert songs, but none of them really seemed to really have a place or fit well into the story. The very end of the episode is just this huge marketing ploy that honestly makes me concerned for anyone who takes this show serious on an emotional level. The send off song literally has nothing to do with the episode and just kind of appears out of nowhere in outfits that probably expose more than a Hooter's uniform. Then the show literally ends with the main character breaking the fourth wall to tell you to keep buying more Love Live shit. It was the grossest thing I've watched in a pretty long while.

Literally nothing about this season has mattered, especially after Muse beat out A-Rise. The entire thing is just stuffed with nonsensical fanservice that doesn't even feel like it's properly linked together, and Love Live S2 ended on just a heaping pile of that.

Mature

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence [Rewatch]

*snip
Interesting write up. I don't think about Innocence too often since, as you said, it made a notably smaller splash than both GITS and SAC, but I remember enjoying it for what it was despite being pretty obtuse. I'd love to see a BD release which could justify a rewatch...

Clov

Interesting write up. I don't think about Innocence too often since, as you said, it made a notably smaller splash than both GITS and SAC, but I remember enjoying it for what it was despite being pretty obtuse. I'd love to see a BD release which could justify a rewatch...

It's already out; it's just long out of print in North America. It's still in print in the UK and Japan though, and the Japanese release has subtitles as well. The UK release is cheap, but I heard the subtitles are pretty bad.

If her flag break - 13

Take notes wannabe heroes !
To defeat the final boss you need:
  • A swordman
  • A bard
  • A dancer
  • A thief
  • A ninja
  • A Summonner ( dragons FTW)
  • A Dragon rider
  • A Magician
  • A Samurai
  • A two handed swordman
  • A magical swordman
  • A Monk
  • A Magical girl

If you manage to get a Full team , all you need is a RAID ON THE FINAL BOSS.

Kanojo%20ga%20Flag%20o%20Oraretara%20-%2013.jpg

I would certainly be angry

So Well the truth about the boat incident is out and i'm not surprised. I sure wouldn't have been able to predict this turn of events BUT nothing that happenned even remotely is out of place, even
the sudden appearance of LAPLACE

In the end this was a normal finale , cliché but still effective. I have no idea how the conclusion was possible.

CONCLUSION SPOILERS

So
Cyberspace is saved ? and we're back to the normal world ? but if so , i can understand nanami keeping her memories but why the rest ? And what were those 2 doing in the real world in the first place since they were supposed to be programs? Why is the first queen of bladefield still so young, then ?

Don't get me wrong i like this ending, but holy hell i am confused by what happenned.This is even weirder considering that so far the anime had masterfully planned all the twists.

Mature

It's already out; it's just long out of print in North America. It's still in print in the UK and Japan though, and the Japanese release has subtitles as well. The UK release is cheap, but I heard the subtitles are pretty bad.
Boo! I had no idea it already had a NTSC BD release. In that case, it needs a reprint which would justify a rewatch!

Clov

Boo! I had no idea it already had an NTSC BD release. In that case, it needs a reprint which would justify a rewatch!

It definitely does; it might be in a tricky legal situation though. From what I understand, Innocence was brought over here first by Dreamworks. Somehow or another, Paramount got the rights to Dreamworks' back catalog, which included Innocence. For the North American Blu-Ray, Bandai Entertainment had to sub-license the film from Paramount. It didn't get a large print run at all, and is very expensive to buy second hand.

I really hope that someone does give it a rerelease though. I don't think it's impossible; we'll just have to wait and see.

Dresden

But let’s table that for a minute for something I feel is much, much more important: Namely, that the entire show is perhaps the most ingenuine, insincere, cloyingly desperate production I have ever watched. Everything is laid on entirely too thick. All humor must be loud, explosive, and exaggerated. Set ups which are perfectly acceptable are ruined entirely by the staff’s need to add too much to them just to hammer across points which are plain and simple enough that the viewer does not need so much thrown in their face.

I wish you'd at least watch the last two episodes.
So I can see how angry you'll get at the sheer bullshit of it all.

All right. Lets continue this theme of "Nintendoman watching the first episode of random mecha shows he happens to stumble upon and says he will continue but probably never will because he can't be bothered or he just doesn't care for it that much" with this little show I found!

Godannar - 1

Despite everything that happened in this episode being an batshit insane mess of madness, hot-blooded yelling, a mecha gattai sequence, and the fanservice shots everywhere, I actually had fun with this.

I like the premise. I mean, a married couple that pilot a super robot together. That's pretty unique.

Maaaayyyyybe I'll continue this. Maybe.

Quasar

If her flag break - 13

Don't get me wrong i like this ending, but holy hell i am confused by what happenned.This is even weirder considering that so far the anime had masterfully planned all the twists.

Makes me want to take a peek at the source material. Is it simply summarised to the point of incoherence?

Tokyo Ravens at least was still pretty coherent despite the level of summary.

HappinessCharge Precure 22

I am honestly too lazy to grab a screenshot from this episode, so I'm posting a preview pic of the next episode

Unfortunately *kneeslap*
We will never see the og transformation for Fortune cuz pianos

Why Fortune Tambourines though? Sunshine already had them :/. And it looked like one too, and not like... one of those Bop-It toys. In any case, Fortune's stock footage tells us that Toei is massive ZR fans, dedicating three seconds of up close spinning action. Somethngsomethinglegday.

As for how things were settled!? Not a fan of it. Quite frankly, the fact that Toei is so spread out with shows this year was showing, because the actual Fortune stock footage (and animation) weren't really... much better than normal. I mean, the actual fight was really lackluster. And for two EPISODES now, we've completely disregarded the whole friendship lesson, as last episode effectively nuking most of the Terribads on her own
and this week, instead of sealing the empire with the wish, Fortune basically... became a Cure again, but much stronger to the point of soloing Phantom
It is what happens when you outedge the Edgemaster.

Anyway, Iona and Hime...... Strangely enough, Iona came out looking like an even bigger jerk here
because she's directly responsible for Tender getting decked by watching her sister and Phantom fight, and took the blame out on Hime.
, and now things get patched up with Hime finally getting the Iona.

Truthfully speaking, I thought... this was one of the weakest mid-season climaxes in Precure. Perhaps the weakest even.

All right. Lets continue this theme of "Nintendoman watching the first episode of random mecha shows he happens to stumble upon and says he will continue but probably never will because he can't be bothered or he just doesn't care for it that much" with this little show I found!

Godannar - 1

Despite everything that happened in this episode being an batshit insane mess of madness, hot-blooded yelling, a mecha gattai sequence, and the fanservice shots everywhere, I actually had fun with this.

I like the premise. I mean, a married couple that pilot a super robot together. That's pretty unique.

Maaaayyyyybe I'll continue this. Maybe.
Goddannar is awesome.
It's only one of the 2 mecha anime where i can sing the song without being ashamed.
So awesome , so over the top in the right places.
I even played and finished the PS2 game.
I Love Goddanar
Makes me want to take a peek at the source material. Is it simply summarised to the point of incoherence?

Tokyo Ravens at least was still pretty coherent despite the level of summary.

I'm planning to start reading the source material actually during the summer.holidays

Man I played The Wolf Among Us and caught up. Apparently not too early considering fifth and final episode of season 1 scheduled to release like mid-July. Snow White is ultimate business moe.

Andrew J.

Are you saying we won't be able to use "But he's never watched Utena!" to dismiss firehawk's opinions anymore? :(

I guess we'll always have "But he likes David Cage games!", I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom