• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Girls und Panzer 12 FIN

rYUAPobl.jpg

Well that was about as satisfying a conclusion as I could have hoped for.

---

Show was immensely enjoyable. Really expected a lot more slice of life/school stuff but was pleasantly surprised to be wrong here. Split felt like 30% school / 70% intense tactical tank combat. GBF comparison seemed to fit to the end since it's ostensibly sports shounen with a crossgenre layer of something else on top that helps accentuate the good points.

Also since Erwin was easily best girl, I'll rank best teams.

1. History club
  2. automobile club
  3. anglerfish team
  4. volleyball team
  5. cnet team since they love Kelly's Heroes
  6. student council team
  7. sudoko team
  8. bad videogamer team

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Think of all that action you don't have to scrub past!
For a show about epic space navies colliding against each other, it's disappointing that the fleet action is less engaging that the space battles in the Star Wars prequels. :p

Are you saying we won't be able to use "But he's never watched Utena!" to dismiss firehawk's opinions anymore? :(

I guess we'll always have "But he likes David Cage games!", I guess.
The thing is, David Cage is like Hideo Kojima. The bar is so low that as long as you don't make a game that is 99% left trigger aim right trigger shoot, your game is suddenly the most interesting thing in the market. Which is why Gone Home was many people's GOTYs last year.

Syrinx

The thing is, David Cage is like Hideo Kojima. The bar is so low that as long as you don't make a game that is 99% left trigger aim right trigger shoot, your game is suddenly the most interesting thing in the market. Which is why Gone Home was many people's GOTYs last year.

I bought Gone Home in the Steam sale today.

I'm one of the people that didn't absolutely hate Gone Home, but I didn't love it either. It trolled me the whole way through with a certain aspect it kept hinting would happen. And that's what pissed me off because I heard so many raving reviews about how awesome it was. But the main story to investigate is so meh.

Personally when you play it, definitely research everything you can about the side stories that don't involve the main one. Those you have to piece together yourself, instead of being spoonfed like with the main story about the sister.

Quasar

Oh I feel telltale has raised the bar a bit for story games. That said probably part of why I like cage probably is that he makes story games with some kind of budget/profile and he's so alone in the space. I may not feel the same if they were as common as shooters.

I also feel vaguely offended you feel folks chose gone home only because its a non shooter.

CorvoSol

I wish you'd at least watch the last two episodes.
So I can see how angry you'll get at the sheer bullshit of it all.

No way am I going to sit down and watch
the littlest cancer patient die, then her littlest cancer daughter die, and then the ending to Dallas or whatever. No thank you.

All right. Lets continue this theme of "Nintendoman watching the first episode of random mecha shows he happens to stumble upon and says he will continue but probably never will because he can't be bothered or he just doesn't care for it that much" with this little show I found!

Godannar - 1

Despite everything that happened in this episode being an batshit insane mess of madness, hot-blooded yelling, a mecha gattai sequence, and the fanservice shots everywhere, I actually had fun with this.

I like the premise. I mean, a married couple that pilot a super robot together. That's pretty unique.

Maaaayyyyybe I'll continue this. Maybe.

So here is the thing about Godannar. It has a LOT of skeevy fan service. Like a huge amount. But in spite of that, the show is actually very clever, because it uses mecha fights against giant robots as a metaphor for sexual relationships. In that context the character interactions are all pretty interesting, and the fact that it is a love story about two people who are already wed is also to its favor.

Please note, though, that while piloting a mech is almost always a metaphor for sex in the show, it is only almost always. I seem to recall that
the little girl pilots with Goh, and in such case, if not all the men she pilots with it felt more familial than sexual, as opposed to the sibling pilots, where it was decidedly more sexual than familial.

Godannar isn't my favorite mecha, but it isn't bad, and the Heart Breaker is a pretty great finisher.

Dresden

No way am I going to sit down and watch
the littlest cancer patient die, then her littlest cancer daughter die, and then the ending to Dallas or whatever. No thank you.

But
the best part is when the cancer girls come back to life because dragon balls.

Syrinx

Happiness Charge Precure 22

Fortune's got herself a new piano and so can you.

Liked Princess' confrontation with Fortune, actually. She gave her her PreCards and also acknowledged that nothing she can do and no apologies are going to absolve her actions or bring back Fortune's sister. I do like how this show has given her some idea of the burden she carries and the results of her actions. And I think it shows a lot about her growth that she completely owns it and has taken that burden on herself.

Fortune powers up and makes Precure Hunter her bitch. They see Queen Mirage for the first time. Don't know exactly what's going to happen but they now need more PreCards to make Princess' wish come true, so some version of the status quo will return, just with Fortune joining the other three.

Almost time for a new ED too. Hopefully I can stand this one.

You know I'd ask if somebody who is working on Free! has ever seen a how a muscular/swimmer's body looks like, but then again how many character designers in both west and east has seen an actual woman do what they do.

[insert Hawkeye Initiative image here which even though I'd post for an actual right reason and not for lewd purposes, I still don't want to risk it]

ctr58b8.jpg

Day 70: They still think I am one of them. Apparently reading discussions off MAL forums has worked wonders. Will report more about their misdeeds to government as information is released.
Ah ah no way MAL conversations would be enough to blend in with us !

So here is the thing about Godannar. It has a LOT of skeevy fan service. Like a huge amount. But in spite of that, the show is actually very clever, because it uses mecha fights against giant robots as a metaphor for sexual relationships. In that context the character interactions are all pretty interesting, and the fact that it is a love story about two people who are already wed is also to its favor.

Please note, though, that while piloting a mech is almost always a metaphor for sex in the show, it is only almost always. I seem to recall that
the little girl pilots with Goh, and in such case, if not all the men she pilots with it felt more familial than sexual, as opposed to the sibling pilots, where it was decidedly more sexual than familial.

Godannar isn't my favorite mecha, but it isn't bad, and the Heart Breaker is a pretty great finisher.

Not sure were the sexual relationship come from.
I actually saw it more like " different kind of relationships" depending on how they fought and why.
Each fight and each way they fight reminded more of marital relationships and everything that goes with it. The show actually use each theme closely .. The ackwardness of living with your wife , how you see the future with her, life with a kid and the list goes on.
IMO goddannar went of the subject of "relationships of all sorts" with being lewd at times.
At least that's how i saw it and that's how i enjoyed it.

Happiness Charge Precure 22

Fortune's got herself a new piano and so can you.

Liked Princess' confrontation with Fortune, actually. She gave her her PreCards and also acknowledged that nothing she can do and no apologies are going to absolve her actions or bring back Fortune's sister. I do like how this show has given her some idea of the burden she carries and the results of her actions. And I think it shows a lot about her growth that she completely owns it and has taken that burden on herself.

Fortune powers up and makes Precure Hunter her bitch. They see Queen Mirage for the first time. Don't know exactly what's going to happen but they now need more PreCards to make Princess' wish come true, so some version of the status quo will return, just with Fortune joining the other three.

Almost time for a new ED too. Hopefully I can stand this one.

Yep, two episodes to go until new ED.

Now me and Nafe can finally be in the ending!

Narag

Visual Novels.

My only experience was the Dezaki movie and so I thought the show would mostly be expansion on that
Nagisa and Tomoya meeting, learning to live through each other, her tragic death, and how he's crushed for years before finally accepting his role as father
and maybe more focus on the extra characters.

I'm looking at the wiki episode guide for the tv show and seeing time travel and shit now. wtf

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pretty much don't watch/read anything about it. Although I will admit the troll video is kind of amusing.

I'm one of the people that didn't absolutely hate Gone Home, but I didn't love it either. It trolled me the whole way through with a certain aspect it kept hinting would happen. And that's what pissed me off because I heard so many raving reviews about how awesome it was. But the main story to investigate is so meh.

Personally when you play it, definitely research everything you can about the side stories that don't involve the main one. Those you have to piece together yourself, instead of being spoonfed like with the main story about the sister.
Given the pedigree, this is an obvious statement, but Gone Home is basically BioShock if they took out the combat. It's an interesting experiment, even if I don't know if I would necessarily want to play another game in the same vein again.

Oh I feel telltale has raised the bar a bit for story games. That said probably part of why I like cage probably is that he makes story games with some kind of budget/profile and he's so alone in the space. I may not feel the same if they were as common as shooters.

I also feel vaguely offended you feel folks chose gone home only because its a non shooter.
The Telltale games aren't games though. I mean, once you hit "visual novel" territory, which I think is what Telltale are making, then the sky's the limit when it comes to storytelling. Certainly they stopped making "adventure games" in the classic sense.

And well, there is an art-game bent to the anti-shooter sentiment. Cart Life, The Novelist, Papers, Please, and so on. I just appreciate these games for the fact that they use different verbs for interactivity.

It's about the large-scale clash of strategies, not the action on the ground.
I guess I'm hoping I care about Reinhart and Yang sooner rather than later, because I know the battles are not going to be interesting at all.

Strong words that I don't think even you believe!!
Ten thousand ships on a 2d plane. It makes less sense than building an ultimate super weapon that has a single exhaust port leading directly to the ship's core. lol

jman2050

But

Nah, it's not
dragon balls. The dragon balls are tangible magical objects whose purpose is clearly defined from day one and which the characters actively search and/or fight for. The Clannad lights are vague nondescript supernatural bullshit that have no explicable origin and whose powers are not at all hinted at or explained until near the very end and even then are kept intentionally vague so as to facilitate how they're used in the ending. At least Dragon Ball's use of parallel world/time travel bullshit is properly explained as best as it could be!

kanon12a.jpg
kanon12b.jpg

key, the masters of symbolism

This is remarkably succinct.

We can't collectively decide that it didn't happen? =(

Why would you want to? Macross 7 is great.

My only experience was the Dezaki movie and so I thought the show would mostly be expansion on that
Nagisa and Tomoya meeting, learning to live through each other, her tragic death, and how he's crushed for years before finally accepting his role as father
and maybe more focus on the extra characters.

I'm looking at the wiki episode guide for the tv show and seeing time travel and shit now. wtf
It's Jun Maeda, he can't resist putting in dumb supernatural stuff.

CorvoSol

But

I don't even like that in
Dragon Ball
, I'm not going to enjoy it now.

Not sure were the sexual relationship come from.
I actually saw it more like " different kind of relationships" depending on how they fought and why.
Each fight and each way they fight reminded more of marital relationships and everything that goes with it. The show actually use each theme closely .. The ackwardness of living with your wife , how you see the future with her, life with a kid and the list goes on.
IMO goddannar went of the subject of "relationships of all sorts" with being lewd at times.
At least that's how i saw it and that's how i enjoyed it.

Well I mean, most of them are. Think about it: If piloting a mech together = sex, it explains why Anna is so upset when Goh's old squeeze comes back and when the two of them pilot together. It explains why the two characters in the show who are not involved with anyone are also the only two to pilot single pilot mechs. DINO base dude and his girl pilot together and he proposes to her. The Russians have a Dominate/Submissive thing going on. Shoot, the one mech where two girls pilot together and they happen to be lesbians. The one where it is siblings and the show implies strongly that they want to bone each other.

I'm not saying that sex is the ONLY aspect of those relationships, just that I felt it was a key part of it all.

jman2050

I feel like "raising the bar for story games" is kind of a hollow victory of sorts. In fact I'd go on to say that games, be they video games or sports or board games or whatnot, are the greatest form of entertainment there is. Video games in particular allow you to create any interactive world with any rules one wants. Game design that takes on a narrative bent is a straight up regression in my eyes.

Maybe I should make a topic in Gaming on this premise, see how well that'd blow over for certain posters there...

I feel like "raising the bar for story games" is kind of a hollow victory or sorts. In fact I'd go on to say that games, be they video games or sports or board games or whatnot, are the greatest form of entertainment there is. Video games in particular allow you to create any interactive world with any rules one wants. Game design that takes on a narrative bent is a straight up regression in my eyes.

Maybe I should make a topic in Gaming on this premise, see how well that'd blow over for certain posters there...

rvxXR9N.jpg

Eusis

Oh hey, Modbot lives! No one took that code yesterday so I'm trying again but with a URL for the raffle.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=828631.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Crunchyroll 48 hours All-Access Guest Pass -- MB-0709A55396BFE4D2

t1404099737z1.png

I feel like "raising the bar for story games" is kind of a hollow victory or sorts. In fact I'd go on to say that games, be they video games or sports or board games or whatnot, are the greatest form of entertainment there is. Video games in particular allow you to create any interactive world with any rules one wants. Game design that takes on a narrative bent is a straight up regression in my eyes.

Most people who try and attempt to tell a good story in games just emulate books and movies most of the time.
Devs should try and work the unique stuff only video games can do into the story. Nier did that and it was pretty cool.
Same with Planescape Torment and Legacy of Kain and their use of in game death and failure.

Most people who try and attempt to tell a good story in games just emulate books and movies most of the time.
Devs should try and work the unique stuff only video games can do into the story. Nier did that and it was pretty cool.
Same with Planescape Torment and Legacy of Kain and their use of in game death and failure.

You know I feel Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons told a story utilizing something only video games can do very effectively.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
So I decided to actually return to Valvrave after only making it a few episodes into the first season before dropping it?

Have you ever had that thing happen to you where you come back to an anime you don't like and people keep telling you "its so bad, its good" so force yourself to stick with it hoping that the moment comes... I'm worried I may drop this show for a completely different reason than the first one. Call me cynical but all the characters look stupid saying their lines. I just want to shut all there stupid faces up!

I think this is absolutely the reason, though I don't agree with your wording. If SAO was a niche show with only a few die-hard adherents it wouldn't receive nearly the amount of criticism, but the fact that it's popular despite its unerring low quality (even in the first season, to say nothing of the second season) means that detractors are more tempted to vocally speak out against it.

To put it another way, it'd be just as problematic in quality, pacing, characterisation, unerring sexism etc whether it was popular or not, but criticism is louder because detractors are baffled by the people who can't or won't see its flaws.

Are you looking forward to the new season next week? :)

jman2050

I feel that if you're aiming to tell a story with your game you're artificially limiting the scope of your game from the start.

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, mind you, you can tell a lot of interesting stories using game mechanics that you wouldn't be able to tell otherwise. I like adventure games and visual novels too after all.

I just don't think that's something the game development world should strive for, as if the ultimate goal of gaming is to enhance a limited narrative. That direction is stagnation, it's antithetical to what games are capable of letting people do.

So I decided to actually return to Valvrave after only making it a few episodes into the first season before dropping it?

Have you ever had that thing happen to you where you come back to an anime you don't like and people keep telling you "its so bad, its good" so force yourself to stick with it hoping that the moment comes... I'm worried I may drop this show for a completely different reason than the first one. Call me cynical but all the characters look stupid saying their lines. I just want to shut all there stupid faces up!

Are you looking forward to the new season next week? :)

Valvrave isn't worth forcing yourself to watch. It has a handful of entertaining episodes, but it pretty bad outside of that. The episodes you watched are actually some of its highest points!

I feel that if you're aiming to tell a story with your game you're artificially limiting the scope of your game from the start.

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, mind you, you can tell a lot of interesting stories using game mechanics that you wouldn't be able to tell otherwise. I like adventure games and visual novels too after all.

I just don't think that's something the game development world should strive for, as if the ultimate goal of gaming is to enhance a limited narrative. That direction is stagnation, it's antithetical to what games are capable of letting people do.
There's nothing wrong with limited the scope of the game. I think you have a narrow definition of what games are.

Yeah people here kept raving about Valvrave, but I couldn't stand it. It's one of those situations where I think people were watching it because they were starving for mecha anime.

mankoto

Yowamushi Pedal 20-37
I honestly can't remember the last time someone was animated this creepily. Whenever Midousugi makes a sudden movement it sounds like he's cracking a bone or something. He's just so... Gross... It's making him way more memorable than I want him to be

Is The Order A Rabbit? 1-4 - Not yet sure what to make of this show. I don't know what's going on and all the characters kind of seem like idiots. And I don't get it, Tippy was talking in the first episode, but Chino was trying to hide it and make excuses, which implies Cocoa shouldn't know that Tippy is the grandfather and can talk. And yet in episode 4 Tippy is telling fortunes and no one is worried about the talking rabbit. There's some "haha that's cute moments," here and there, but otherwise I don't know where this thing is going.

Joe Molotov

Puchimas!! - 74
Why did this had to end ?

Puchimass!! you were so good. i want a S3.

My favorites of S2 were
-Cockroaches
-Happy birthday
-Tekken
-Urban legends

This show was awesome.
Too bad it's over.

My favorites were all the ones with Harukasan.The one where Yayoi and Haruka were doing the experiment and the one where Yayoi and Takane wanted to take her outside in the rain were the best. Also the Golden Week Festival.

And Megane week.

Really, all of them, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom