• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Well you didn't see the parts where it gets so flagrantly and deliberately ridiculous that you can't help but be entertained by it. Or so it was with me.

I can't deny that Basara using the power of rock and roll to make a space vampire inhabiting the body of a space biker orgasm was probably one of the funniest and craziest things I had ever seen.

Pfft, Y'all are crazy. To the Moon is the REAL feels game on Steam.

So here is the thing about Godannar. It has a LOT of skeevy fan service. Like a huge amount. But in spite of that, the show is actually very clever, because it uses mecha fights against giant robots as a metaphor for sexual relationships. In that context the character interactions are all pretty interesting, and the fact that it is a love story about two people who are already wed is also to its favor.

Please note, though, that while piloting a mech is almost always a metaphor for sex in the show, it is only almost always. I seem to recall that
the little girl pilots with Goh, and in such case, if not all the men she pilots with it felt more familial than sexual, as opposed to the sibling pilots, where it was decidedly more sexual than familial.

Godannar isn't my favorite mecha, but it isn't bad, and the Heart Breaker is a pretty great finisher.

Huh, reminds me of Aquarion EVOL. Only without the CG. I can live with that.

In all honesty. I have a high tolerance for fanservice in my anime. As long as I can have a nice fun story with some decent action, I'll be all right with it.

Yeah people here kept raving about Valvrave, but I couldn't stand it. It's one of those situations where I think people were watching it because they were starving for mecha anime.

Eh, it was a fun ride. Mostly forgettable, but a fun ride nonetheless.

Yu Yu Hakusho (Spoilers)

So, I just finished this series. It was an enjoyable anime overall, but the worst Shounen, but also not the best. I tried to watch it around 3-4 times, and never got past episode three. A month or two, or maybe even three ago, I decided to try my hand at this anime again. I managed to get past the opening and on to the plot of the show.

It started slow, with battles against people like weak Hiei. The show continued on and Yusuke had his "training", but it didn't really seem liked he learned anything. Sure, he was able to defeat his opponents, but he didn't seem stronger, smarter, or more experienced. His new technique, the rapid-fire rei-gun, was only ever used once. This was a consistent problem with the show. The second major problem I noticed was it seemed like no one ever tried their hardest. Hiei and Kurama always seemed like they were going easy on their opponents, but they kept getting hurt and almost losing. Yusuke was the only one that seemed to have trouble, and he still kept getting up, but that is standard for a Shounen.

The first arc that I really liked was the Dark Tournament arc. It introduced a lot of characters, furthered relationships, and had many fights. Yusuke's power-up in this arc was one of the few times a major power-up is explained in a Shounen. This arc even brought some sad moments with Genkai dying. Overall, it was probably my favourite arc.

The Sensui arc was quite bad. This guy was never talked about before, and the humans with powers seemed underused. Sensui was also able to become more powerful by taking on a different personality but with the same body. Yusuke's power-up was quite ridiculous. He suddenly found out his ancestor was a demon (one of the strongest ones), and because of his second death, he was able to awaken his demonkin powers. Of course, his "father" was able to take him over and defeat Sensui.

The final arc, the Demon Realm arc, was also not the greatest. Yusuke left everything behind to go to the most dangerous place around. Once he is there, he found his almost dead father. His father never actually trained him, and instead Yusuke was trained by his father's underlings. Once the last year of Raizen's life was over, Yusuke was fighting him as he died. After taking over his father's spot, Yusuke was able to get one of the strongest to agree to a ridiculous tournament that would diminish Yomi's chances of taking over the Demon Realm. Of course, this tournament had everyone but Kuwabara in it. Kurama seemed weak in his fight, once again, even though he has displayed he is very strong. Yusuke was able to get another power boost from the power of friendship, but that wasn't enough to win. In the end, a friendly demon won the tournament and made all the demons never attack the Human Realm for the next three years. Finally, Yusuke went back and met up with Keiko, and everyone lived happily for the rest of their lives.

I didn't mind the ending, it closed up all loose ends. I didn't like how a main character (Kuwabara) was abandoned for the final arc of the show, even if it was a short one. However, the show was still enjoyable. Yu Yu Hakusho really differs from its creators other creation, Hunter X Hunter. While Hunter X Hunter ignores most typical Shounen elements, Yu Yu Hakusho employs many of them. Yu Yu Hakusho also wasn't a very addicting show. With shows like Hunter X Hunter and One Piece, I have been able to watch many episodes in one day, but I don't believe I did more than 8 in one day for Yu Yu Hakusho, which is why it took two or three months. In conclusion, Yu Yu Hakusho was an enjoyable show that had many ups and downs.

~~~

I think this is my first post on AnimeGAF. It is always good to start with a Shounen, right? :p

So just randomly saw an article on Miyazaki and all his movies, read it in it's entirety, and now I think I want to watch through his entire filmography. I've only seen Spirited Away (years and years ago), and Howl's Moving Castle and just about every other movie he's made intrigues me.

Any suggestions as for which ones should be top of my list to check out? And is there any good order for watching them?

See for me To The Moon was too much story, too little game. The gaming aspect was like "walk forward, do a shitty puzzle, see story"

I'm story-driven and all, but I'd like a better game in between the story. At least a decent one. Also the writing always felt a bit off among the dialogue between the two leads. Like the guy really wanted to make the guy the nerdy one and the woman the professional one. Their conversations were just amateurish and awkward imho. Still an over-all good story.

Syrinx

So just randomly saw an article on Miyazaki and all his movies, read it in it's entirety, and now I think I want to watch through his entire filmography. I've only seen Spirited Away (years and years ago), and Howl's Moving Castle and just about every other movie he's made intrigues me.

Any suggestions as for which ones should be top of my list to check out? And is there any good order for watching them?

Watch Castle in the Sky (aka Laputa)

Jarmel

Banned
The thing that gets me about Captain Earth is that the characters are more shallow than the ones in Star Driver. A show that was essentially all about fanservice was much more complex than this stuff. The show is literally half-way through its run and there hasn't been a lick of character development/introspection on the protagonists side. I feel like this is the opposite side of the episodic coin.

The thing that gets me about Captain Earth is that the characters are more shallow than the ones in Star Driver. A show that was essentially all about fanservice was much more complex than this stuff. The show is literally half-way through its run and there hasn't been a lick of character development/introspection on the protagonists side. I feel like this is the opposite side of the episodic coin.

I think I forgot what happened in the latest episode, besides THE GHOSTS

his best stuff, outside of Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, is:

Princess Mononoke (Many consider it his high point, his Star Wars)
Laputa Castle In The Sky
Porco Rosso
The Castle of Cagliostoro (never seen it but I hear you don't have to be entirely familiar with Lupin III to enjoy it so might eventually watch it)
My Neighbor Totoro

Rewatching Fate/Zero, this time the english dub. It's not bad.

It really isn't. They got Lu Bu as rider and fucking War as the worms dude. Nier reunion. Worst offender in the dub is fucking Lancer. What a shitty voice actor.

CorvoSol

I think that touches on some of what I'm struggling with. Also the sort of lack of mecha fights that went down in the last episode. You better have a real show stopper if you're not going to do any robot fighting, like the one in Star Driver where
they make you wonder if the girl's sister ever even existed.

cajunator

Banned
VNs taught me I can be a fedora tipping nice guy sexist and still save these ladies with my penis. Which has worked a lot irl.

If by a lot. I meant none at all.

They dont really exist in anime. At least not yet.

http://imgur.com/gallery/1G0iI

mjlol.png

That almost works too well with that pic.

I can't deny that Basara using the power of rock and roll to make a space vampire inhabiting the body of a space biker orgasm was probably one of the funniest and craziest things I had ever seen.

Gigil singing
was amazing. So was Basara trying to
move that mountain
with his music.

It really isn't. They got Lu Bu as rider and fucking War as the worms dude. Nier reunion. Worst offender in the dub is fucking Lancer. What a shitty voice actor.

I've only watched the first ep so far and it's been pretty good. Only iffy voices are the little girls (little girls in anime dubs always seem eh) but at least they're not in it that much.

I want to see how they handle caster/caster's master in the dub. They seem like hard characters to pull off without going too over the top.

Jarmel

Banned
I think that touches on some of what I'm struggling with. Also the sort of lack of mecha fights that went down in the last episode. You better have a real show stopper if you're not going to do any robot fighting, like the one in Star Driver where
they make you wonder if the girl's sister ever even existed.

It's flat. There's nothing there to hold your interest. It's not 'bad' writing in the sense of 'lol Courage punches' or AO but it's bad in the sense that it's boring. It tries to do these wacky little things but the show isn't committing to anything whether it's tone, narrative, or character progression.

It really is just like Mahouka in that why should the audience care?

I entirely stopped because the characters never broke outside of their set-up archetypes and never got much depth.

We have:

The relatable hero who was a regular high school kid until Anime Plot.

The sexy bishounen bestie who is super relaxed about life and naturally gifted but for some reason he's not the lead because he's not relatable

The moe blob who just acts stupid the whole time and honestly I stopped watching but I hope the lead doesn't end up with her since she has the mental maturity of a 2 year old

The sassy annoying catchphrase girl who is pleasing everybody who still has Misty wet dreams but is really a Mary Su.

I've only watched the first ep so far and it's been pretty good. Only iffy voices are the little girls (little girls in anime dubs always seem eh) but at least they're not in it that much.

I want to see how they handle caster/caster's master in the dub. They seem like hard characters to pull off without going too over the top.

Caster is amazing. He's not Japanese voice psycho, he's western psycho which means he makes sillier voices and screams more, which imho makes him better.

mankoto

Captain Earth 13-

Wow what a fucking asspull. This show is really making me appreciate Star Driver.
I'm watching both simultaneously and I honestly can't agree more. I want to like Captain Earth but it seems boring most of the time... Whereas Star Driver has this flair to it

cajunator

Banned

Laputa Castle In The Sky
Porco Rosso
The Castle of Cagliostoro (never seen it but I hear you don't have to be entirely familiar with Lupin III to enjoy it so might eventually watch it)
My Neighbor Totoro

Mononoke is definitely his best work.

Yu Yu Hakusho (Spoilers)

So, I just finished this series. It was an enjoyable anime overall, but the worst Shounen, but also not the best. I tried to watch it around 3-4 times, and never got past episode three. A month or two, or maybe even three ago, I decided to try my hand at this anime again. I managed to get past the opening and on to the plot of the show.

It started slow, with battles against people like weak Hiei. The show continued on and Yusuke had his "training", but it didn't really seem liked he learned anything. Sure, he was able to defeat his opponents, but he didn't seem stronger, smarter, or more experienced. His new technique, the rapid-fire rei-gun, was only ever used once. This was a consistent problem with the show. The second major problem I noticed was it seemed like no one ever tried their hardest. Hiei and Kurama always seemed like they were going easy on their opponents, but they kept getting hurt and almost losing. Yusuke was the only one that seemed to have trouble, and he still kept getting up, but that is standard for a Shounen.

The first arc that I really liked was the Dark Tournament arc. It introduced a lot of characters, furthered relationships, and had many fights. Yusuke's power-up in this arc was one of the few times a major power-up is explained in a Shounen. This arc even brought some sad moments with Genkai dying. Overall, it was probably my favourite arc.

The Sensui arc was quite bad. This guy was never talked about before, and the humans with powers seemed underused. Sensui was also able to become more powerful by taking on a different personality but with the same body. Yusuke's power-up was quite ridiculous. He suddenly found out his ancestor was a demon (one of the strongest ones), and because of his second death, he was able to awaken his demonkin powers. Of course, his "father" was able to take him over and defeat Sensui.

The final arc, the Demon Realm arc, was also not the greatest. Yusuke left everything behind to go to the most dangerous place around. Once he is there, he found his almost dead father. His father never actually trained him, and instead Yusuke was trained by his father's underlings. Once the last year of Raizen's life was over, Yusuke was fighting him as he died. After taking over his father's spot, Yusuke was able to get one of the strongest to agree to a ridiculous tournament that would diminish Yomi's chances of taking over the Demon Realm. Of course, this tournament had everyone but Kuwabara in it. Kurama seemed weak in his fight, once again, even though he has displayed he is very strong. Yusuke was able to get another power boost from the power of friendship, but that wasn't enough to win. In the end, a friendly demon won the tournament and made all the demons never attack the Human Realm for the next three years. Finally, Yusuke went back and met up with Keiko, and everyone lived happily for the rest of their lives.

I didn't mind the ending, it closed up all loose ends. I didn't like how a main character (Kuwabara) was abandoned for the final arc of the show, even if it was a short one. However, the show was still enjoyable. Yu Yu Hakusho really differs from its creators other creation, Hunter X Hunter. While Hunter X Hunter ignores most typical Shounen elements, Yu Yu Hakusho employs many of them. Yu Yu Hakusho also wasn't a very addicting show. With shows like Hunter X Hunter and One Piece, I have been able to watch many episodes in one day, but I don't believe I did more than 8 in one day for Yu Yu Hakusho, which is why it took two or three months. In conclusion, Yu Yu Hakusho was an enjoyable show that had many ups and downs.

~~~

I think this is my first post on AnimeGAF. It is always good to start with a Shounen, right? :p

Welcome to Animegaf!

Jarmel

Banned
The sassy annoying catchphrase girl who is pleasing everybody who still has Misty wet dreams but is really a Mary Su.

She's easily the best character on the show, the problem is the rest of the crew are dull as fuck. Purple just sits and mops all the time. Hana does absolutely nothing, although I'm sure she'll have some hax power next episode. Then Captain who's sole character trait for the past few episodes is being a good fighter.

Despite them saving the world, the entire team looks like they don't give a fuck. The only one who has some sort of serious edge to her is Akari. It's a team full of slackers up against a team of incompetents.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Most people who try and attempt to tell a good story in games just emulate books and movies most of the time.
Devs should try and work the unique stuff only video games can do into the story. Nier did that and it was pretty cool.
Same with Planescape Torment and Legacy of Kain and their use of in game death and failure.
Nier's gimmick is really great, but it also takes a lot to get to that point. It reminds me of the Dragon's Dogma ending, actually.

I feel that if you're aiming to tell a story with your game you're artificially limiting the scope of your game from the start.

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, mind you, you can tell a lot of interesting stories using game mechanics that you wouldn't be able to tell otherwise. I like adventure games and visual novels too after all.

I just don't think that's something the game development world should strive for, as if the ultimate goal of gaming is to enhance a limited narrative. That direction is stagnation, it's antithetical to what games are capable of letting people do.
Every medium places a limitation on storytelling. With prose, you are limited by the descriptive nature of vocabulary. I don't care if you are Shakespeare and Dunne and Milton and Joyce and whomever all put into one, there are no words that can adequately describe the sensation of taste. Imagine trying to write a sentence describing chocolate to someone who has never tasted it before.
The same goes with film and music and every other mode of artistic expression. The point is to try to work within those limitations. Heck, we should all be manga/comic readers in here - we understand that even though characters in a manga are not animated, we still know that they are moving... whether it is through the placement of panels or through speed lines in a panel.

I don't mind making games that exist for the sake of play. But that doesn't mean that games can't try to tell stories either. I just wish they tried to tell more interesting stories, because when your primary action is shooting or stabbing something in the face, the scope of the stories that you can tell is dramatically limited.

The flip side is that, barring Spec Ops: The Line, games that use shooting as a primary mechanic are not at all interested in telling interesting stories about war. It took about 10-20 years for Vietnam vets to basically come home, go through the system, and then choose to tell their stories in movies. I'd like to hope that 10 years from now we'll have Iraq war vets who have moved into game development and become interested in say, telling a realistic or at least interesting "modern warfare" story that doesn't involve fictional middle eastern countries or fighting generic Russian terrorists.

Heck, I still find it kind of shitty that no WW2 game mentions the Holocaust in any meaningful way.

Laputa Castle In The Sky
Porco Rosso
My Neighbor Totoro

You know when you listed My Neighbor Totoro it immediately reminded me of the parody My Neighbor Pedoro from Gintama. Them memories, too bad it ain't real because I'd definitely watch it.

Clov

My favorites are Porco Rosso, The Castle of Cagliostro, and Princess Mononoke. His latest film, The Wind Rises, is also excellent.

She's easily the best character on the show, the problem is the rest of the crew are dull as fuck. Purple just sits and mops all the time. Hana does absolutely nothing, although I'm sure she'll have some hax power next episode. Then Captain who's sole character trait for the past few episodes is being a good fighter.

Despite them saving the world, the entire team looks like they don't give a fuck. The only one who has some sort of serious edge to her is Akari.

So he's a janitor now? That sucks he got demoted.

But I disagree. She had a personality which made her stand-out but I will never in my life believe that this tiny girl is one of the world's best hackers. I can type really fast too, why does anime insist that hacking is typing a lot of shit really fast like in 80's movies.

Also I quit when they turned the show into a "bad guy of the week" around mid-season. See usually the way you make those work is by having a likable cast that has their own shit as a subplot. But in what fucking world did somebody think to put little kids in charge of secret ops shit. You're telling me the whole planet is so incapable that the best bet from earth was 4 kids that happen to come from Japan? Japan plz stop pretending you're the center of the world. PLZ.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Just saw Wasurenagumo

What a effed up interesting little story :3 It's not the sort of thing I'd typically enjoy but it had just the right amount of character development that it didn't bother me.

Dead

well not really...yet
Enokido does some awesome work, his bad work still has stuff that is stupid fun

It's a damn shame when he is producing boring work

See for me To The Moon was too much story, too little game. The gaming aspect was like "walk forward, do a shitty puzzle, see story"

I'm story-driven and all, but I'd like a better game in between the story. At least a decent one. Also the writing always felt a bit off among the dialogue between the two leads. Like the guy really wanted to make the guy the nerdy one and the woman the professional one. Their conversations were just amateurish and awkward imho. Still an over-all good story.

Maybe so, but I think the whole point of the game was to get immersed inside it's world.
The fact that you're walking around a guy's memories, from end to beginning, as opposed to the other way around really sold it to me.

And yeah, the writing did feel kind of...questionable at times. But it had its funny moments. My favourite would have to be the part where
the two are constantly jumping between points in Johnny's memories to try and get him to want to go the moon. Got a good chuckle out of me then.

Jarmel

Banned
So he's a janitor now? That sucks he got demoted.

But I disagree. She had a personality which made her stand-out but I will never in my life believe that this tiny girl is one of the world's best hackers. I can type really fast too, why does anime insist that hacking is typing a lot of shit really fast like in 80's movies.

Also I quit when they turned the show into a "bad guy of the week" around mid-season. See usually the way you make those work is by having a likable cast that has their own shit as a subplot. But in what fucking world did somebody think to put little kids in charge of secret ops shit. You're telling me the whole planet is so incapable that the best bet from earth was 4 kids that happen to come from Japan? Japan plz stop pretending you're the center of the world. PLZ.

That would be more action than he's getting right now.

Dude, nobody portrays hacking properly. It's just one of those things where you have to roll with it.

Honestly the best thing would have been for them to be attached to a military unit or something instead of the free reign that they're just given.

Enokido does some awesome work, his bad work still has stuff that is stupid fun

It's a damn shame when he is producing boring work

The show feels like a response to the criticism of Star Driver except Enokido either didn't want to do a serious show or he can't.

Nobody portrays computers or games properly. Like typing shit randomly actually does anything.

But gaming is hilarious. They're always pressing so many fucking buttons and moving the joysticks around like their life depended on it, like what fucking game are they playing?

TUSR

Banned
Nobody portrays computers or games properly. Like typing shit randomly actually does anything.

But gaming is hilarious. They're always pressing so many fucking buttons and moving the joysticks around like their life depended on it, like what fucking game are they playing?

smash bros

I once saw someone look like they were actually playing a game on TV (The game was Mario Kart) and it was amazing. I think the show was Veronica Mars. My sister was watching it and I happened to walk by during the scene.

Clov

Just saw Wasurenagumo

What a effed up interesting little story :3 It's not the sort of thing I'd typically enjoy but it had just the right amount of character development that it didn't bother me.

I love showing people that short. Their reactions to seeing the ending for the first time are great.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wolfenstein tho
The new one? Because the only Wolfenstein I know is the one where I shoot mecha Hitler in the face. lol

---

Flag Time END
At least this was better than The Matrix trilogy. Funny enough, they made a harem anime with this pointlessly complicated plot and it still ended up being better than whatever TWGOK turned into.

---

Love Live S2 END
4rkwg92l.jpg

YES. My new favourite character.

rjmBPmDl.jpg

DL8IVnbl.jpg

I will say, if nothing else, they used a metaphor for :firehawk that I haven't seen before... so I can appreciate the episode for that at the very least.

And maybe it's because I've been playing the game so much, but launching into a
piano version of Aishiteru Bonzai
was really touching, if not expected/cliched moment.

Really, the only thing you can say about how they wrapped up this season is that everything is a little too perfect and "manufactured". But I think it's because they're not taking themselves too seriously that I can just appreciate this for what it is. Yeah, it's still a marketing vehicle for a fake idol group played by a fake real world idol group slapped together for the purposes of making money... but for something that should be the most terrible thing ever, it gets the job done.

That said, I really should have saw the fucking ending coming. It's like I momentary forgot that Love Live was a product first and a story second, so of course there's a movie coming up. lol

Also, is it me or did the show have two different art styles at times?
Ju9STKml.jpg

It becomes super shoujo-ey at times.

Jex

Speaking of Macross, I just finished Macross Plus! Thought it was good overall. The animation was great, especially that concert scene in episode 2. Wasn't a fan of the protagonist though. I warmed up to him a bit by the last episode, but he still came across as kind of a dick, I thought. Not that Guld was a whole lot better or anything, but still. I think I still like DYRL better than this one; the finale in that one was fantastic.

If there's any message that Macross Plus seeks to impart, it's that pilots are dicks. I guess it truly is the Top Gun of anime.

Jarmel

Banned
Sidonia 12-

This was too trope-filled at times. Also the CGI is really a huge buzzkill for me because certain scenes would probably look really good in 2D but due to the artistic style(and budget I'm sure), stuff feels really cheap even when it's supposed to be dramatic. Oh and don't get me started on the frame-rate.
izcaQfH6bQam7.jpg

This scene is supposed to be super dramatic but the lighting just ruins it altogether. The lighting used in the show really is piss-poor.
This is another show where I feel like it wants to be super serious but can't escape its genre trappings and try to develop actual characters. Stuff like the harem crap really doesn't fit in the show and again detracts from time actually spent fleshing out the characters.

Jex

LOGH 3-4
a4YOe9Nl.jpg

Hey, the one black dude left alive in the universe!

Uuvfw6Pl.jpg

This whole war being fought by a siscon. It's like an anime Helen of Troy.

Yeah, I actually watched the first four ages ago and it just didn't grab me in any way. I decided to skip the battle because I remember it just being relatively nonsensical being both on a 2d plane and involving absurd numbers, but having the aftermath introduce some of the characters on both sides is probably a good enough refresher.

There is something to be said about the fact that both sides of this war seem pretty terrible in their own regard. I'm not sure if they want you to root for both main characters and decide to make everyone else around them terrible human beings as a way to compensate for that... but it's an interesting approach I suppose. That said, I have to imagine that unless this drags on to a 100 episode stalemate, at some point the show will pick a side, whether you want it to or not.
It's more a case that, the major military/political hierarchy in both factions is inept and corrupt, but not all the people who reside within that structure are bad.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I hope the intro stuff doesn't last long. I assume they thought the battle would be exciting enough to carry the show into exposition mode, but it really isn't. lol
You get some action soon at least. I forgot how 'fast' some of the first arc is.

And yeah it's more about the people in the two systems.

I always find it funny when older shit that is supposed to be encompassing of the whole human race is reminded that diversity exists and includes like one token minority. Just so we know that you know, they exist. But onward to the glorious master race adventure, he just gets to come along on the adventure. Move it Pablo and Tyrone, or you'll be left behind. You don't want to end up like that one dude who may be mentioned. You know A-A-ron

Syrinx

I always find it funny when older shit that is supposed to be encompassing of the whole human race is reminded that diversity exists and includes like one token minority. Just so we know that you know, they exist. But onward to the glorious master race, he just gets to come long on the adventure. Move it Pablo and Tyrone, or you'll be left behind. You don't want to end up like that one dude who may be mentioned. You know A-A-ron
This reminds me of eighth grade English where we had a group assignment to write a play and we had two characters named Pablo and Tyrone and Tyrone was murdered and Pablo was framed. I think that's how it went...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well you still sorta shoot mecha Hitler in the face but now with more Holocaust references.
I'm a bit afraid of what a Holocaust reference in a science fiction game based on Wolfenstein would be like, to be honest. lol

It's more a case that, the major military/political hierarchy in both factions is inept and corrupt, but not all the people who reside within that structure are bad.
Sure, I assume that Reinhart is this version's Rommel or something.

Sidonia 12-

This was too trope-filled at times. Also the CGI is really a huge buzzkill for me because certain scenes would probably look really good in 2D but due to the artistic style(and budget I'm sure), stuff feels really cheap even when it's supposed to be dramatic. Oh and don't get me started on the frame-rate.
This is another show where I feel like it wants to be super serious but can't escape its genre trappings and try to develop actual characters. Stuff like the harem crap really doesn't fit in the show and again detracts from time actually spent fleshing out the characters.
The easy solution would be to just make all these characters adults. Then they can't be written like otaku manchildren without it being completely embarrassing.

You get some action soon at least. I forgot how 'fast' some of the first arc is.

And yeah it's more about the people in the two systems.
Yeah, I assume so. I'm hoping something happens that makes both leads more than just dudes in fancy costumes.

I always find it funny when older shit that is supposed to be encompassing of the whole human race is reminded that diversity exists and includes like one token minority. Just so we know that you know, they exist. But onward to the glorious master race adventure, he just gets to come along on the adventure. Move it Pablo and Tyrone, or you'll be left behind. You don't want to end up like that one dude who may be mentioned. You know A-A-ron
You can't really win, because most of the time it's either tokenism (Sulu and Uhura, while revolutionary in 1966 are so pointless in 2014) or they are just window dressing. Of course this being Japan makes it harder to even deal with, I suppose. I think everyone on the Yamato in Yamato 2199 is supposed to be Japanese or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom