• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Akagi 11

946692e69a.jpg

CorvoSol

ZZ Gundam 20

In this episode, Mr. Wong represents the die hard Zeta fan who can't get it through his head that ZZ Gundam is a great show. "But he's not Kamille!" he complains. "Judau isn't a REAL soldier!" waving his arms about. Just like the die hard Zeta fan, Mr. Wong is completely oblivious to the fact that Kamille was just as much not-a-soldier as Judau, and that Amuro himself wasn't one either back in the day. Not for realsies. Granted each of them joins up at one point or another, but that's aside from the point.

In the mean time, the ZZ Gundam continues to show how ridiculously powerful it is. Not only is it wielding a gosh darn beam buster sword, that hi mega particle cannon on its head is overkill for a single mobile suit.

Man I need rewatch, this thing made me learn Mahjong.

It makes me want to learn, because I know nothing about Mahjong and I bet the show is completely different if you can follow what is happening.
I'm still trying to figure out Ron, Kan, Pon and Chi are and what a Riichi is. But I'm starting to get it. Slowly.
Still enjoying it, but not as much as Kaiji

docbon

Mahouka 13-

This arc is way way too fucking long for what it is. What is pacing?

This is looking to be an 8 episode arc for a bunch of fucking nothing to happen. Like what the fuck.

In the effort to portray Tatsuya as an engineering genius, they made every competition the equivalent of watching someone using a game genie, which was so dull. It felt like the other characters were just vehicles to further show me how cool and smart he is. As if it wasn't abundantly clear enough already.

fertygo

It makes me want to learn, because I know nothing about Mahjong and I bet the show is completely different if you can follow what is happening.
I'm still trying to figure out Ron, Kan, Pon and Chi are and what a Riichi is. But I'm starting to get it. Slowly.
Still enjoying it, but not as much as Kaiji

You can use this btw
http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

That's understandable because Akagi pretty much for mahjong nerd, and little bit fanservicey because he actually only an side character in other FKMT's mahjong manga Ten he got his own series after that because his popularity, also the Ten's ending arc pretty much about Akagi lol

Jintor

SAO isn't good enough to be list worthy and I kinda think it's not bad enough to be list worth either. I mean, I still think it's terrible, but relative to the rest of the list it can't chill with those guys

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 15:

Ah yes, the Sailor Moon Crystal begins this weekend and it is going to be most interesting to see how that program plays out for us. I have been told that Crystal is going to be basically the manga adaptation the world did not see as Sailor Moon the Anime has enough changes to consider it to be its own entity. I bring this up because, having read up on some stuff, one of the biggest changes made was
to Rei. Like they two completely different people the changes are that striking. This episode is a perfect showcase of how Anime Rei differs on several key points. I am not sure which portrayal is better yet, but different it most certainly is.
Anyway, the legendary Rei-Usagi rivalry continues to rage onwards and we learn that Mars is as petty, maybe even a bit more petty then Usagi since she is the instigator here.

Usagi strangely enough is correct here, Mamoru is too old to be dating the likes of Rei.
This has always been a problem for me vis a vis the eventual coupling of Mamoru and Usagi since she is also 14 bloody years old.
Oh yea, also Ami deals with a green Aesop that isn't very interesting. All and all I would say this is an average episode of the show, it has enough of the usual fixings to pass muster but isn't too memorable overall.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
SAO isn't good enough to be list worthy and I kinda think it's not bad enough to be list worth either. I mean, I still think it's terrible, but relative to the rest of the list it can't chill with those guys

If a Toonami show needs to be picked I vote for Tenchi Muyo GXP.

cajunator

Banned
No Game No Life

That was a really strong presentation for setting a premise. Sure, the idea of reality being a crappy game it´s not new, but the way it was presented felt powerful and interesting. I like the feeling of superiority of the brothers and I liked the visual design of world and characters. I'll refrain to say what I didn't like so much, better not to open that can of worms I think.

Yeah it was a really fun series with a few questionable inclusions. However I dont think it was all that graphic or anything. They never went overboard.

Yami 6

That thing's a tiger kid. It's gonna rip your face off and eat it say it's GRRRRREEEAAAAATTTTTT. I wouldn't put it past this show.

Come on Sylvester! Eat Tweety already!

lol dont fucking tell me...no fucking way they'd pull that...

"OHHHHHHH YEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHH" I want that sound effect. DEAR LORD I need that sound effect. That would make the greatest TF2 hitsound in the history of hitsounds.

okay what the fuck is a periperi?

yo what the fuck

lol k cool story bros

School Days 5

THERE'S THAT FUCKING "OHHHHHHH YEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHH" SOUND EFFECT AGAIN. AGAIN. IN TWO DIFFERENT SERIES. THAT I WATCHED IN SUCCESSION. WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING THERE'S A GLITCH IN THE MATRIX MORPHEUS JESUS FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER SOMEONE HELP ME

BOOBS

BOOBS E'RWHERE

i can't watch this show. it's causing my hand to leave a permanent impression on my face.

"Remember to have morals." DID THOSE WORDS SERIOUSLY JUST FALL OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MOUTH

AGAIN IT HAPPENED AGAIN AND THEN SOME HELP "wegngngngngngngn" i'm fucking dying

yes yes swimming and fan-service.

yo what the fuck son

you dumb as fuck

FORGET ABOUT IT FUCKER NO BAD IDEA THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING FUCK

PKThloP.png

WHAT

THE

FUCK

tumblr_msh6f5GOto1qz4d4bo1_500.png

i'm a broken skeleton

good night and good luck gaf

Still cant believe you are taking this double whammy. You must be crazy or have a very strong composition.

CorvoSol

SAO is bad, but it isn't on the List because The List requires an element of insanity. As awful as SAO is, it doesn't really have that element in common with the rest of The List.

And before someone jumps to correct me about what that element of insanity is, I reserve the right to refer to it for lack of a better term for the unifying trait that is between things like Blood-C, The Crystal Triangle and Code Geass. Maybe insanity is the wrong term, though. Maybe it's quirkiness or je ne sei quoi. But there's got to be this sort of uncanny rhythm to a show to make it. This rhythm doesn't always manifest in the same way, I guess, but it's there.

If it was JUST about being bad, then I imagine many more crappy old cop OVAs would be on the List. But the ones that are usually have something more to them than that, like Angel Cop's psychics, or AD Police's sexbotsassin and tongue cyborg.

I think that there's also an intent that everything on the List be enjoyable. I didn't find all of it to be such, but I would agree that a fair amount of the entries did have that going on. It's wrong to treat the List as a list of bad things because there are fun things to be had on it.

Case in point: Mad Bull 34. It's sexist, racist, violent and stupid, but bad? Not a chance. It's a riotous buddy cop anime so far over the top and so indulgent in its own self parody that I could never call it that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Also, as I've said many times, SAO really benefited from community discussion. Sure you can watch it now on your lonesome, but you'll be just watching a subpar show. At least with the community we had a weekly laugh.

Can't wait till SAOturday!

Edit: Any particular reason why you don't want to watch School Days at all?

I think I've heard enough (which isn't much to be perfectly honest) about it to know I don't ever want to watch it.

I also have to finish the anime I just started before the new season starts. The man muscles are calling me.

jgminto

School Days is an entertaining show after the first few episodes which were pretty boring. It's also pretty interesting when you compare it to regular harem shows.

Stulaw

If Her Flag Breaks END

Well, that was pretty much the same as any other adaptation ending before the source material does, things get rushed, the teacher and idol not getting any character development, and them ending with everything being happy. Akane practically winning was the best thing as well.

Oh well, it wasn't that bad, I don't think the LN will ever get translated, but maybe the manga will.

CorvoSol

Macross F 12

jKrcENW.gif

This show is trash. Such trash. Just the worst kind of trash, really. Truly, no nutritional content whatsoever. But I cannot quit it. I mean good God what a reversal! Alto dumps Ranka's ass to go on this getaway with Sheryl, only for Sheryl to get sick and Ranka to seize that moment of weakness and opportunity, literally swoop in and steal the day, making it so that Sheryl's trip with Alto is thrown out the window since "he has to get her back on time for her debut concert!"

I mean, nevermind that Alto is an annoying jerk who doesn't deserve either of these girls.

Forget about the fact that Grace is a scheming criminal who is playing so many sides of everything that I bet ten bucks she's a villain in Super Robot Wars.

Don't worry about the whole racial politics of Zentradi or how it's kind of creepy when you consider that music is being used to lull the Zentran into doing things contrary to their will.

Fuck all of that. Because here's the scoop. Shit be goin' down between these two ladies and it is on like Donkey Kong. I can't wait until we get to SDFM levels where Alto is wearing a scarf with Ranka's name on it during a date with Sheryl or Ranka is wandering a wasteland with her drunken brother/boyfriend because she's only realized too late she's in love with the wrong person.

Forget with me that Macross can be a majestic story about the love between very different people born in conflict and grief and let us revel in the sure to be petty, dirty, scandalous cat fights to come.

If only there was a TMZ for Macross. That scandal rag sequence in 7 was close.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 16:

Well, I can't accuse Sailor Moon here of not knowing what they had as the Usagi-Rei rivalry has pretty much become the meat of program at this point. Also, I don't think I have pointed out just how comedic this program is, kind of reminds me of a Rumiko Takashi work at points actually. Oh yes, I also wanted to mention the dub name of Nephrite's alter ego was Maxfield Stanton, simply because that is so delightfully soap opera cornball. As for the episode itself it centered around the idea of having a fancy wedding is what a young girls dream about, which has never been my favorite dynamic. Indeed, even here, it looks antiquated next to pushing that 1990s girl power that was becoming en vogue. Anyway, this episode was slightly above average for having better interactions between Rei and Usagi then last episode.

School Days is an entertaining show after the first few episodes which were pretty boring. It's also pretty interesting when you compare it to regular harem shows.

Well, it's certainly interesting, but I'm not sure I'd say it's entertaining. Half of it was boring and the other half funny (some of that unintentionally funny drama) and a memorable ending.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think my review of the first episode (note I knew nothing about this show before watching it) was something like, 'I assume this show is only infamous for being the most boring show on earth'.

Jintor

Unfortunately school daze is one of those shows that I ruined for myself due to its infamy. But I'd probably never have watched it anyway, so nyeah.

More games need to use "Days" and "Daze" as some kind of awesome pun.

Chariot

I think my review of the first episode (note I knew nothing about this show before watching it) was something like, 'I assume this show is only infamous for being the most boring show on earth'.
The only thing that's truly important is the ending. The other episodes are just about a dude fucking around.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only thing that's truly important is the ending. The other episodes are just about a dude fucking around.

People who only watch the last episode are losers (officially). You have to experience the whole thing to truly appreciate it.

Unfortunately school daze is one of those shows that I ruined for myself due to its infamy. But I'd probably never have watched it anyway, so nyeah.

If you only watch the ending you miss the funny parts where everybody is acting like such dumbasses and fuck each other over.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I did watch the whole thing and regretted it. I was bored to tears until the last episode.

You did make sure to have an outlet while you watched it right? I mean, it's a bit like SAO, in that you benefit greatly from being able to express yourself while watching which increases the enjoyment. Unlike SAO however you can watch it anytime and the community will react. Most want to forget about SAO so they'll ignore you (this recent period being an exception due to it being a run-up to the next series).

Chariot

You did make sure to have an outlet while you watched it right? I mean, it's a bit like SAO, in that you benefit greatly from being able to express yourself while watching which increases the enjoyment. Unlike SAO however you can watch it anytime and the community will react. Most want to forget about SAO so they'll ignore you (this recent period being an exception due to it being a run-up to the next series).
No, at that time I just watched anime only by myself and took every show pretty serious. Maybe it would be more fun today with - as you say - an outlet.

Jintor

Simply watching anime is bullshit. Talking about it is half the reason I watch anime these days! Analysis or simple play-by-play reaction posts, as long as I can shout into the ether and it'll occasionally shout back

Love Live (S1) 1-13 (END)

Figured I’d check this out after my brief love affair with the FTP game. Found it very enjoyable overall, considerably more so than iM@S (which from memory is the only other idol series I’ve watched). Main positives were the group dynamics, humour and a well-nurtured desire to see the cast succeed. The endgame drama felt contrived and silly, though I gather it’s less of an issue in season 2.

I don’t have any real dislike for the CG dances. It can be a bit jarring when the switch between regular animation and CG is particularly noticeable, but that’s about it.

screen05atxjxa.jpg
screen04pdk7s.jpg

Ranks #1 and #2. Nozomi for her personality / demeanour, interests and (well-intentioned) machinations, Nico for her entertainment value and design.

Thanks for the info!
Have a Kurumi
It's just what I wanted, how ever did you guess? I'd reciprocate if I wasn't at work.

Andrew J.

Yu Yu Hakusho (Spoilers)

The Sensui arc was quite bad. This guy was never talked about before, and the humans with powers seemed underused.

I've been ruminating for a while now on the impact of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure on the battle shounen genre, specifically how it offered an avenue for varying fight setups via strangely specific and esoteric powers instead of constantly escalating power and speed. I believe that u Yu Hakushoarc came out during or shortly after Stardust Crusaders, and the human psychics were therefore one of the first examples of emulating that idea; it's no wonder it came out a little half-baked, then.

phaze

Girls und Panzer 7

aw shit, didn't expect
midseason upgrades!

:D Show redeemed.

Kyousougiga 01

I watched the first episode of this a good while ago but for some reason never managed to follow it up...

A very fine and quite touching introduction into the series. This being a rewatch, the sensei guy from the beginning caught my attention and is my prime suspect for being "the" Priest. Have to say, the overall artstyle and character designs are hitting all right visual notes for me. Looking forward to see more.

Acosta

No Game No Life 2

Sooo, first you make a cool looking hero:

And then you make this scene:

Anime! I guess haha.

Really like the art, I always like when series are so colorful. Character design is pretty cool too. The idea of a universe where everything is settled with games is a fun one and so far the execution is pretty cool, that Rock-Paper physological game was pretty entertaining to watch.

And this whole scene with Steph was hysterical, I laughed loud at it:

Jintor

NGNL sure looks colourful, but it also looks like someone just threw a bloom filter on whole hog and lit up the world with random colours. But hey, it looks like that's what they were going for at least

Joe Molotov

Macross F 12

jKrcENW.gif

This show is trash. Such trash. Just the worst kind of trash, really. Truly, no nutritional content whatsoever. But I cannot quit it. I mean good God what a reversal! Alto dumps Ranka's ass to go on this getaway with Sheryl, only for Sheryl to get sick and Ranka to seize that moment of weakness and opportunity, literally swoop in and steal the day, making it so that Sheryl's trip with Alto is thrown out the window since "he has to get her back on time for her debut concert!"

I mean, nevermind that Alto is an annoying jerk who doesn't deserve either of these girls.

Forget about the fact that Grace is a scheming criminal who is playing so many sides of everything that I bet ten bucks she's a villain in Super Robot Wars.

Don't worry about the whole racial politics of Zentradi or how it's kind of creepy when you consider that music is being used to lull the Zentran into doing things contrary to their will.

Fuck all of that. Because here's the scoop. Shit be goin' down between these two ladies and it is on like Donkey Kong. I can't wait until we get to SDFM levels where Alto is wearing a scarf with Ranka's name on it during a date with Sheryl or Ranka is wandering a wasteland with her drunken brother/boyfriend because she's only realized too late she's in love with the wrong person.

Forget with me that Macross can be a majestic story about the love between very different people born in conflict and grief and let us revel in the sure to be petty, dirty, scandalous cat fights to come.

If only there was a TMZ for Macross. That scandal rag sequence in 7 was close.

yDFoFsu.gif

Yes, give in to the glorious trashiness of Macross Frontier. So delicious.

Acosta

Sora is far from cool.

"Looks" Well, I think he looks quite cool at least. Aside of that it seems he only can act cool regarding games.

Jintor said:
NGNL sure looks colourful, but it also looks like someone just threw a bloom filter on whole hog and lit up the world with random colours. But hey, it looks like that's what they were going for at least

haha, maybe, it certainly looks saturated at some points, but I like it, feels like a reinforcement to the fantasy setting.

Quasar

Yeah people here kept raving about Valvrave, but I couldn't stand it. It's one of those situations where I think people were watching it because they were starving for mecha anime.

Starving for one I like sure. Not that I'd rave about it, but it was one of the few space based anime that I made it past episode one of. And Sidonia is the first post Valvrave space based show that did the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom