• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

tried to see if I still had that folder somewhere, can't find it :(
well, it might be on my old windows computer. I think I moved some folders out of my dropbox to make space for new stuff awhile back, not sure. but if I did it'd be there.
I'll be waiting for a re-post then, and we could call it 'the triumphant return of the great effortposts we know you can do'! ;-)

Chariot

Best speech in anime. That's a good topic. Anybody have any nominations? I can't think of any at the moment. Only one I can think if is the Nazi speech from Helsinki Ultimate te that took like 10 or 15 minutes.
I really liked Kimblees (Full Metal Alchemist) speeches about people who are consequent. This man was pretty evil, but he had his principles. While he showed no mercy for anybody, he was very respectful to the enemies who stood by their beliefs.

And of course a lot of speeches of Gurren Lagann, they were really rousing, I felt awesome after every single one. The "Listen up, Simon. Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me! Believe in the Kamina who believes in you!" kind of speeches. I think Gurren Lagann gave me something like a human supremacy complex.

And this is a scene (Spoiler warning: Black Lagoon, seconds season, english dub) I love. But Balalaika and other characters of Black Lagoon have many interesting speeches.

Majin Bone 10

Need to catch up

Seeing how much Shugo has grown not only as a bone fighter but as a person both in combat and through the eyes of his friends and family really worked. Like digimon this could have been a quick advertising cash in show, but truly has become something enjoyable all on its own.

Got Madoka on Blu-ray today:
BrYzxLuCUAAULyo.jpg:large

mhs004

The Skull Man 1-13

I really enjoyed this show more than I think I should have. The main character was a pretty good guy but not cheesy good like most anime hero's. Hell he even
becomes a villain at the end if I understand right.
Also it was not surprising that they hinted at the end he
is probably that missing kid that was rumored to be out for revenge at the end.
All the characters were well fleshed out in my opinion and did a pretty good job of actually having a part in the overall story and theme of the show.

I liked the theme's of the show has such as how religion can be used for bad and good, how easy people can be corrupted, and the horrors of war.

One gripe I do have is
the main character nailing that 16 year old and making her his baby mama. I know it was in a different time where it was accepted but common she 16 yo.

Clov

Got Madoka on Blu-ray today:

Nice pick-ups, there! Madoka looks fantastic in HD. Probably one of Shaft's best looking shows.

Great Figmas, too! I'd love to track down one of those Konata cosplaying as Haruhi ones sometime. I just have the regular winter uniform Figmas for Konata and Tsukasa.

Nice pick-ups, there! Madoka looks fantastic in HD. Probably one of Shaft's best looking shows.

Great Figmas, too! I'd love to track down one of those Konata cosplaying as Haruhi ones sometime. I just have the regular winter uniform Figmas for Konata and Tsukasa.

Will probably show Madoka to some friends and check out the dub soon.

Getting some winter uniform Lucky Star figures soon as well.

They got 2 pre-owned ones at amiami if you really want a Konata cosplaying as Haruhi one.

Clov

Will probably show Madoka to some friends and check out the dub soon.

Getting some winter uniform Lucky Star figures soon as well.

They got 2 pre-owned ones at amiami if you really want a Konata cosplaying as Haruhi one.

I might end up picking up one from there eventually. AmiAmi's preowned section is great, I've gotten some good deals from there.

Acosta

No Game No Life 6

That was fun! It looked like a more developed duel than the one in the first tome of Sandman. I thought it was a pretty solid building for it, but I need to rewatch the final move
I don't understand why it was important that Jibril used the word on the paper, after all, Sora had already written the word he needed at the reverse

The series is heavy in fanservice (?) and I think it´s a testament of how solid the writing is that I can still take it seriously while doing stuff like "half-naked dog girl", "angel moaning" and so. I just feel it´s a bit unnecessary (or too extreme for its own good at least). Fortunately, I don't mind it or let it distract me from the good stuff.

NGNL joins other shows such as Yozakura Quartet in the "was that really necessary?" group of anime where fan service was not needed and is actually a detriment to what could be a better show without it.

Tenumi

Banned
Love Live S2 (END)

So... They
won Love Live... off-screen. Wow.

Really, the best way I can sum up this season for this show is.... "what a waste". Love Live was a show that did well when it sat on it's own. In many ways, this second season was completely unnecessary. A lot of unnecessary drama, an overall predictable plot, and for what? Just money, pretty much.

I liked the first season. This one, not at all. Such a shame.

Chariot

NGNL joins other shows such as Yozakura Quartet in the "was that really necessary?" group of anime where fan service was not needed and is actually a detriment to what could be a better show without it.
Interestingly enough I was annoyed by the fanservice in Yozakuta Quartet, but not in NGNL. I think it just fitted better with them being NEETs in contrast to the randomness of the fanservice in Yozakura Quartet.

sonicmj1

No Game No Life 6

That was fun! It looked like a more developed duel than the one in the first tome of Sandman. I thought it was a pretty solid building for it, but I need to rewatch the final move
I don't understand why it was important that Jibril used the word on the paper, after all, Sora had already written the word he needed at the reverse

My understanding is that
Sora couldn't have written another word in time in response to what Jibril said. So if she had picked a word other than the one he wrote on the paper (one that ended on a different letter), he wouldn't be able to reply in time, and would lose the match. By writing that word and showing it to her earlier, he set her up to make to make the same final move later.

Acosta

My understanding is that
Sora couldn't have written another word in time in response to what Jibril said. So if she had picked a word other than the one he wrote on the paper (one that ended on a different letter), he wouldn't be able to reply in time, and would lose the match. By writing that word and showing it to her earlier, he set her up to make to make the same final move later.

Ah, of course!
I had forgot the rule of the last letter, silly me. Thanks!

Chariot said:
Interestingly enough I was annoyed by the fanservice in Yozakuta Quartet, but not in NGNL. I think it just fitted better with them being NEETs in contrast to the randomness of the fanservice in Yozakura Quartet.

That's a good point, but I feel the one for NGNL is more "extreme", a bit too much for its own sake. Totally agree that it has more "purpose" than the randomness of "look, panty shoot!" from Quartet.

Clov

Boo, Aniplex US sucks. It would cost me >$150 CAD to get the whole series. :( It's probably cheaper for me to import the UK box. I wonder if my PS3 can play it.

I think you'll need a region-free Blu-Ray player to play UK Blu-Rays, not certain if they'll work on a PS3. A region-free player might be worth it if you plan on importing lots of anime from the UK, as they have certain titles we don't (Perfect Blue, for example).

I think the limited edition Madoka sets are all sold out by now, and I can't exactly recommend the standard editions. Still, I'm very happy with the limited sets that Aniplex put out; nice boxes, cases, artbook with interviews, etc. At the same time though, I bought them not just to rewatch, but to display. I guess I'm a bit different in that regard.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I took my time with it (I usually read on the bus to and from work and 50% of the time I sleep) but I finally finished all the Haruhi light novels.

I can understand why some people were semi disappointed with Endless Eight eating up a chunk of series 2 (only semi though because you can't be that mad at the greatest achievement in anime history) as some of the stories available at the time could have been nice to see animated but man, by the end of all these stories one does feel like little progress has been made in the overall storyline.

Jex

NGNL sure looks colourful, but it also looks like someone just threw a bloom filter on whole hog and lit up the world with random colours. But hey, it looks like that's what they were going for at least

It's basically GoHands tier. It just looks like someone dumped a painters palette randomly over everything in the series. It's clearly intentional, but it just doesn't look very good, there's something about it that's too digital, too sterile, too false.

Jex

The Skull Man 1-13

I really enjoyed this show more than I think I should have. The main character was a pretty good guy but not cheesy good like most anime hero's. Hell he even
becomes a villain at the end if I understand right.
Also it was not surprising that they hinted at the end he
is probably that missing kid that was rumored to be out for revenge at the end.
All the characters were well fleshed out in my opinion and did a pretty good job of actually having a part in the overall story and theme of the show.

I liked the theme's of the show has such as how religion can be used for bad and good, how easy people can be corrupted, and the horrors of war.

One gripe I do have is
the main character nailing that 16 year old and making her his baby mama. I know it was in a different time where it was accepted but common she 16 yo.
Just out of couriosity, how did you happen to end up watching THE SKULL MAN?

Jex

Yeah people here kept raving about Valvrave, but I couldn't stand it. It's one of those situations where I think people were watching it because they were starving for mecha anime.

No, that's not why people were watching it. People were watching it because it was bonkers.

If everything crazy was good then that hobo on the street who swears 9/11 killed JFK would have his own show.

Welcome to another episode of Ass Rash Pete. In today's episode our guest star is a soiled diaper who will tell us about his brand new book "Shit Happens". Stick around I might eat later.

Jex

If everything crazy was good then that hobo on the street who swears 9/11 killed JFK would have his own show.

Welcome to another episode of Ass Rash Pete. In today's episode our guest star is a soiled diaper who will tell us about his brand new book "Shit Happens". Stick around I might eat later.

It wasn't just an auto generated spam message of nonsense though. It actually had a recognisable form, shape, and even structure it's just that each subsequence addition to that well known structure, each twist and turn, took the show in completely unexpected and bizarre places. That's entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom