• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I had no idea that Toradora was an upscale! It's at least good to know that it's not a terrible one. What other anime on BD use this kind of upscaling?

Anything that was made in the early digital era (e.g. early-to-mid 2000's) was made in SD and therefore will be an upscale on BD. The quality of upscaled anime has been spotty, to say the least.

Chariot

Love Live S2 13 [END]

I really liked Nozomis new hairstyle, even if it was shortlived. Braided hair looks gorgeous.
But when it comes to the episode overall, I have to agree with IdolGAF. They made a fantastic closure for the show, taking time to revisit everything and to say goodbye for the characters and for us, the watchers, only to plant everything for the movie. murf.

Rhapsody

Banned
Ami was great too, but I think I have just a heart for hard working genkigirls.
Taiga was super annoying. Kugimiya tsundere was instant death for me.
I probably would've liked Minori more if she was more aggressive in the love triangle. But her caring for her friend and prioritizing their friendship is part of who Minori is, so I guess that's kinda hard to think of a minus too.
Why is Code Geass on the list? I mean aside from all the school hijinks, the first season is solid.
To me, it's because of the 2nd season. 1st season was so good, but 2nd had so many sharks jumped.

Clov

Good to hear that it will at least be a good upscale. Is it just the first season that's an upscale, or is season 2 one as well?

Anything that was made in the early digital era (e.g. early-to-mid 2000's) was made in SD and therefore will be an upscale on BD. The quality of upscaled anime has been spotty, to say the least.

I'm aware of this, but I know that some anime use the "Q-Tec" upscaling process, which tends to look pretty terrible. The process that /XX/ had posted about is apparently much better than your typical upscale, so I was just curious whether any other titles used it or not. Seems like not a whole lot.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I can't follow something that's not on the air anymore!
Well it is possible to go back and watch things from the past.

Why do people keep bringing that up for an idolshow. Granted, I stopped watching the show when she stopped getting her ass kicked everytime, but as far as I see it, it's about wrestling with a weird Idolsideplot.
You saying wrestlers can't be idols? It has all the same elements of other idol shows except with a bit more girl on girl action.

I shed a tear for all the Puchi idols.

Except for giant Haruka-san.
I hope one squashes you. :mad:

Midonin

Well it is possible to go back and watch things from the past.
It's more that I already saw it when it was on air. My first real season watching anime as it aired was the fall of 2007, when Bamboo Blade was on. So a lot of stuff from that period onward that interested me, I've seen.

Though my backlog is still huge.

Jex

"I'm bored, hey this looks like it fits into my interests."

Plus I saw it people talking about it on gaf before.

Thanks, it's just that lots of people write up reviews of shows on here and then have no idea if people actually find those reviews useful. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the show.

Chariot

I probably would've liked Minori more if she was more aggressive in the love triangle. But her caring for her friend and prioritizing their friendship is part of who Minori is, so I guess that's kinda hard to think of a minus too.
That's the problem with multiple love interests. Either they're passive as hell or the progatonist is dense as osmium. They're only a few examples that handled these things well.

Watched that when it was on air. Not knowing much about AKB48, still found it enjoyable.
I loved the idea of Jedi Idols. I hope the make a sequel someday.

You saying wrestlers can't be idols? It has all the same elements of other idol shows except with a bit more girl on girl action.(
You got a point here, but I thought that we talk about the typical singing, dancing and acting idols and not the concept of idols.

Love Live S2 12 END

Mu5ZJ5k.png

It was a great episode. Until the end...

We get to see the third years graduate with a heart-warming performance of Aishiteru Banzai! from Honoka and Maki during the graduation ceremony. Next is a trip down memory lane as the girls roam the school full of nostalgia, remebering all the good times with μ's. We get to see some great character interaction, we learn the white Alpaca is male and the brown one is female and Nozomi has an awesome yet short lived hair style change.

Then, before the third years say their final goodbye to their school, we get a 3 minute shilling for the just announced movie. This seemed to bother me more than it did IdolGAF but the whole sequence after Hanayo got her last "emergence" text just left a sour taste in my mouth. The Love Live marketing machine is alive and well it seems.

so basically
it's suppose to repeat the cycle where he met everyone for the first time?

He already has met several of them already on the boat and judging by the last scene , they all recall that incident , so he only has to maybe renew relationship with half the cast.

/XX/

Good to hear that it will at least be a good upscale. Is it just the first season that's an upscale, or is season 2 one as well?
The NYANTYPE (娘TYPE) magazine volume that announced the upcoming release of this BD-BOX on an article precisely used an image from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, the second season of the series, to illustrate that upscaling technology benefits (http://seiyufan.livedoor.biz/archives/7166073.html)... so I suppose it is! :)

phaze

Kyousougiga 2

The least secret secret is out. All those years have passed but he looks younger than in the preceding ep.

Kyousougiga 3

Show is truly a sight behold. Every other shot is hnnnng worthy. Some great music as well. Didn't expect it after the subdued first episode but this one had almost FLCL'esque levels of energy and gags. Koto's mannerisms, dialogue and some great VA work make her one of the more memorable characters I've had the pleasure to watch as of late.
Dunno what to make of the last few minutes of the ep, seems like Koto wasn't the first visitor after all and this mysterious Shrine is up to no good.

Mature

For me, Kyousogiga was a mixed bag in terms of it's narrative and direction in it's latter half, but there's very little question as to the consistency of it's production. It's a really great looking show.

Clov

The NYANTYPE (娘TYPE) magazine volume that announced the upcoming release of this BD-BOX on an article precisely used an image from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, the second season of the series, to illustrate that upscaling technology benefits (http://seiyufan.livedoor.biz/archives/7166073.html)... so I suppose it is! :)

Well, I'm at least glad it will be a good upscale! Now if only someone could bring the series over here again...

As for Kyousogiga, personally I loved it. Such a vibrant and interesting show!

Stulaw

Sabagebu! 1

This has potential, it's a comedy with Girls who are part of an Airsoft club called "The Survival Club".

One of the girls cosplays as Jill Valentine from RE3 during the first match, which was a highlight for me, plus the first game was pretty good.

/XX/

I'm aware of this, but I know that some anime use the "Q-Tec" upscaling process, which tends to look pretty terrible. The process that /XX/ had posted about is apparently much better than your typical upscale, so I was just curious whether any other titles used it or not. Seems like not a whole lot.
You saying this made me think how Aniplex Inc., ain't pushing for leveraging technologies like that in collaboration with Sony PCL for many of their own projects.

I know video editing laboratories (like Sony PCL) are chosen depending a lot on other factors like previous work relationship with the animation production studios involved or their schedules... but it happened the same with their video authoring technology Super Bit Mapping for Video (SBMV), which really helped reduce 'colour banding' and related compression artifacts on an important BD release like Evangelion: 1.11, and that was also used for other products from sister companies inside the group like in the FMVs from SCEI's video-game Gran Turismo 5... and only KING RECORDS seems to attach rapidly to their new technologies nowadays. I have to wonder, why is that?

In contrast, Panasonic Corp., truly uses as a showcase of their own products some techniques (as is the MASTER GRADE VIDEO CODING one that their Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory centre brings) to many related products like in the most recent Studio Ghibli collection Blu-ray Disc releases. Creating that non-exclusive, but incentivizing for the consumer, synergy.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
For me, Kyousogiga was a mixed bag in terms of it's narrative and direction in it's latter half, but there's very little question as to the consistency of it's production. It's a really great looking show.
I don't see how Kyousogiga could be cited as a consistent production. It fluctuates all over the place, particularly because the TV run is using pieces of its ONA.

Recently, I stalked my best friends twin tailed little sister as she went on a date with another woman and celebrated a Christmas OVA at the end of fucking June 1

No, I don't know why I watched this.

No, nothing interesting happened.

And no, you should not sacrifice 24 minutes of your life to watch this like I did.

I will say that I didn't actually hate watching the twin tailed imouto, which is like the nicest thing I will probably ever say about the series.

Clov

You saying this made me think how Aniplex Inc., ain't pushing for leveraging that technology in collaboration with Sony PCL for many of their own projects.

I know video editing laboratories (like Sony PCL) are chosen depending a lot on other factors like previous work relationship with the animation production studios involved or their schedules... but it happened the same with their video authoring technology Super Bit Mapping for Video (SBMV), which really helped reduce 'colour banding' and related compression artifacts on an important release like Evangelion: 1.11, and that was also used for other products from sister companies inside the group like in the FMVs from SCEI's video-game Gran Turismo 5... and only KING RECORDS seems to attach rapidly to their new technologies nowadays. I have to wonder, why is that?

In contrast, Panasonic Corp., truly uses as a showcase of their own products some techniques (as is the MASTER VIDEO GRADE CODING one that their Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory centre brings) to many related products like in the most recent Studio Ghibli collection Blu-ray Disc releases. Creating that non-exclusive, but incentivizing for the consumer, synergy.

Pretty surprising that Aniplex isn't using Sony PCL for its own SD content; since Sony owns them, it would make sense for them to use it. Strange that other companies are using it more than them. What did they use to upscale Gurren Lagann, again? I've heard people say that it's a very good upscale.

The Japanese must only get western movies whose titles are on the nose and think that it's ok to have shitty titles.

"No no it's cool to have a three sentence title in the west they have a movie called Monsters vs Aliens obviously they give little fucks too"

Theonik

One gripe I do have is
the main character nailing that 16 year old and making her his baby mama. I know it was in a different time where it was accepted but common she 16 yo.
16 is perfectly legal in the vast majority of the civilised world. Just sayin'!

Lately My Little Sister has Been Unusual OVA

Those were fun mini-episodes. I really liked this show last season so getting another ep was a nice surprise. Hoping for season 2.

Mature

I don't see how Kyousogiga could be cited as a consistent production. It fluctuates all over the place, particularly because the TV run is using pieces of its ONA.
Oh, true, I forget that it was an ONA at all sometimes. I thought ultimately that the "final product", in a matter of speaking, felt like a cohesive work. I don't know how it "fluctuates all over the place" since it never dips harshly.

/XX/

Pretty surprising that Aniplex isn't using Sony PCL for its own SD content; since Sony owns them, it would make sense for them to use it. Strange that other companies are using it more than them. What did they use to upscale Gurren Lagann, again? I've heard people say that it's a very good upscale.
That I don't know myself, and as the BD-BOX is so expensive I sadly haven't got my hands on the original Japanese one yet. Toyonori Yamada (@toyotoku) who was at the digital photography department from GAiNAX during that time mentioned working along Q-TEC, INC., on the DVD releases for the series (http://gainax.weblogs.jp/gurrenlagann/2009/02/dvd-d184.html), so it could be they continued with them for that one too.

Crunchyroll got Bakumatsu Rock, cant wait.

Samurai Jam -Bakumatsu Rock- is set to broadcast every Wednesday starting on July 2, at 9:00:00 am Pacific Time for its premium members, with free members able to watch one week later. More information can be found on www.crunchyroll.com/bakumatsu-rock.

Samurai Jam -Bakumatsu Rock- will be available to Crunchyroll’s audience in the following territories: USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Latin America.

Jex

Don't fall for it, Mature, we can avoid using that phrase!

789shadow

Banned
Nanana's Buried Treasure End

This show should have focused exclusively on the Adventure Club taking on the ruins without all the yawn-inducing side stuff.

Clov

That I don't know myself, and as the BD-BOX is so expensive I sadly haven't got my hands on the original Japanese one yet. Toyonori Yamada (@toyotoku) who was at the digital photography department from GAiNAX during that time mentioned working along Q-TEC, INC., on the DVD releases for the series (http://gainax.weblogs.jp/gurrenlagann/2009/02/dvd-d184.html), so it could be they continued with them for that one too.

Looking around on Google, nobody's seems to be sure whether or not Gurren Lagann uses Q-TEC for its upscaling. However, it seems that both Read or Die and Baccano don't use Q-TEC, so I'd wager that Gurren Lagann isn't a Q-TEC upscale. Makes sense given how good I've heard it looks, whereas with Q-TEC I've heard nothing but bad things.

Thoraxes

I have it, so I guess I could check my BD-BOX and see if I can figure that out when I get home.

Gundam SEED - 23

SHIP THEM! I'M NOT SEEING ENOUGH SHIPPING IN THIS EPISODE!

DO MORE THINGS THAT INVOLVE SHIPPING. FORGET EVERYTHING ELSE. JUST THROW MORE SHIPPING MATERIAL AT ME. SHIP DAT OTP SOME MORE. MORE DAMMIT!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Gundam SEED - 23

SHIP THEM! I'M NOT SEEING ENOUGH SHIPPING IN THIS EPISODE!

DO MORE THINGS THAT INVOLVE SHIPPING. FORGET EVERYTHING ELSE. JUST THROW MORE SHIPPING MATERIAL AT ME. SHIP DAT OTP SOME MORE. MORE DAMMIT!

Was this the
Athrun and Cagalli
episode?

Midonin

Excel Saga 13-20

A block of episodes that begins with a recap and ends with a recap, but both of them get meta enough with the concept of recaps and are different enough in their content that sitting through both of them was worth the cost of admission... which for streaming is nothing, but let's not split hairs. The second Menchi episode was once again kinda heartwarming, and the Ropponmatsu saga was fine (especially when it resulted in enough stuff that pinged my yuri goggles), but episodes 17 and 18 were my favorite of the bunch.

17 for getting meta about the nature of animation itself, including the change to digital that was going on at the time. Excel's extended stay in "America" was also highly entertaining, including the Sailor Moon homage. Which is on my mind a lot lately, such as tonight and this Saturday. Everything went all Disney, too. And 18 was enjoyable because it's a toku homage. Not quite as good as the Rolling Bomber Special short, but I'd put it at about equal with Mitsudomoe's Gachiranger.

Oh, and the singing preview for episode 21 was great.

That's enough Excel for one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom