• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it weird if watching light hearted slice of life reminds me of that one girl/lady who says she was a transethnicity or transnational or w/e the fuck who wrote the poems about how she was born into the wrong country and she wishes she could be reborn as a japanese.

Toast in the Mouth: The Poetry

Jarmel

Banned
Dominion Tank Police-1
isfhFaTcQJFUt.jpg
This feels like something Imaishi would have done. It's so unabashedly stupid that it's sorta amazing. I can't emphasize enough how stupid the setup is. I mean you have tanks running around the city, totaling it. That said, I enjoyed the comedy in a whacky hijinks sort of way. Best bit was the 'shit rolling downhill' segment. The female lead reminds me a ton of Noa Izumi, in both her character design(that of the TV series) and her personality. It's also refreshing to be seeing something not based in a high school. I kinda wish more shows nowadays had leads like this in an older setting. The show as a whole feels like the anti-Patlabor despite the leads being similar. Alphonse is a better name than Bonaparte though.
The music feels like it was done on a MIDI synthesizer in somebody's garage. There were some really good mechanical animation cuts in the episode especially when the tank is ripping through the city. Makes me appreciate the long lost art of 2D mechanical animation. Theonik definitely called it when he said the tank designs reminded him of Metal Slug.

Hard to decide if I enjoyed this,
or this,
more.
This is 80s as fuck.

Mekakucity Actors 08

o2YH4Ffl.jpg

Still the best thing all season. I love hearing the original Kagerou Project songs getting covered for this.

Puchimas!! 51-52

GVwX1KOl.jpg

What has science created?

Yokai Watch 12-13

o7kQ8sEl.jpg

Yes, an whole episode devoted to fart jokes.

Shinraku! Ika Musume 01-02

2LLBYDHl.jpg

Not a bad adaptation so far. Fun to see it animated and nice to revisit the early chapters.

Ace of Diamond 34

I love Raichi's laugh.

Yowamushi Pedal 34

All over the love of a rabbit. Bang shot!

Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin 08

Sugita alert! Sugita alert!

Pocket Monsters 65

Ah, the original Christmas episode.

Ginga e Kickoff!! Special

Pretty cool to see commentary from soccer pros about the games played.

Isshuukan Friends 09

Beta couple woo. Also, haha dramatic drama so the anime could have some sort of resolution.

Mahou Shoujo Taisen 07-08

How curiosity gave birth to a magical girl or something.

Articalys

I actually ended up playing some beach volleyball while I was out with friends on Saturday.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least partially influenced to do so since I'm watching Haikyuu, though of course it's not really the same thing.

cajunator

Banned
I hate you for liking shows that I liked for all the wrong reasons.

It's like if I enjoyed a good cup of coffee in the morning because the flavor is absolutely amazing and as I slowly swallow it I feel like life is worth living if it means another day of that ground taste goodness.

And you like it because the lady at Starbucks was cute.

Oh hell no. We have Community Coffee House and Cafe Du Monde around here. I never bother with Starbucks.
That has nothing to do with Log Horizon though which I enjoyed for everything. SAO has cuties in it and I hate it. Its the fun story and writing and non insipid characters that made Log Horizon work not just that they were cute!

Crocodile

Dominion Tank Police? Damn that takes me back. One of the earliest anime I ever saw. I think I still remember the English theme song LOL.

Thoraxes

Hahahahahaha.

You must be kidding as anybody with any decency in them would've marathoned that show in a day or two, never postpone it.

Do it for the glasses.

If I didn't work full-time I would've finished it already, heh.

And the computers at work only support DVDs, so i've been marathoning all of the English release of Detective Conan this week while there.

The first Aria season original DVD with the booklet, which I missed my chance to buy on sale TWICE two years in a row. Since Right Stuf is currently doing a Nozomi/Penny sale and the other non-litebox DVD volumes are $24 each, which is the closest I would ever get again to the $80 complete set they had for the holiday deals a long time ago, which I also want to kill myself for missing.

Hm... I should get the ones I miss.

But there were cutiebots years ago! http://youtu.be/3g-yrjh58ms
Ok so Chobits is a bit far off.

tumblr_mzt3z9rApm1tpy4cfo1_500.jpg

Jintor

Tonari no Seki-kun 13

Gosh, it's fun seeing the many ways this show gets mileage out of very similar starting points.

TUSR

Banned
Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion

Upon further reflection, I loved this show. This movie cemented it.

Jintor

Soul Eater Not 7

Who is the goddamn coffee master? He reminds me of Free, but I honestly can't tell.

/edit lol "Death Pain Plaza". Death City names are hilarious.

/edit jesus god scorpion lady didn't even bother disguising herself. Security suuuuuucks

Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion

Upon further reflection, I loved this show. This movie cemented it.

The movie has a collection of some of my favorite scenes in any medium, ever

Special Forces entering Nerv and killing everyone
Ritsuko trying to kill Gendo but being betrayed by her own mother-computer. "I loved you. "...Liar".
Misato kiss and final discourse to Shinji, and her death.
Asuka recovery, final fight and death.
Gendo and Yui meeting, we see he was just an adult version of Shinji
Rei forsaking Gendo and going to Shinji
Third Impact, with the most badass imagery and song: Komm, susser Tod
Rei and Shinji in the sea of LCL, fused together
Shinji imaginary fight with Asuka inside the LCL
etc etc

1289336042351.png

Jintor

Man, NOT makes me so angry at how badly the art team sabotages what could be a relatively cool/cute show. It just looks so bad. Christ.

Theonik

Dominion Tank Police-1
This feels like something Imaishi would have done. It's so unabashedly stupid that it's sorta amazing. I can't emphasize enough how stupid the setup is. I mean you have tanks running around the city, totaling it. That said, I enjoyed the comedy in a whacky hijinks sort of way. Best bit was the 'shit rolling downhill' segment. The female lead reminds me a ton of Noa Izumi, in both her character design(that of the TV series) and her personality. It's also refreshing to be seeing something not based in a high school. I kinda wish more shows nowadays had leads like this in an older setting. The show as a whole feels like the anti-Patlabor despite the leads being similar. Alphonse is a better name than Bonaparte though.
The music feels like it was done on a MIDI synthesizer in somebody's garage. There were some really good mechanical animation cuts in the episode especially when the tank is ripping through the city. Makes me appreciate the long lost art of 2D mechanical animation. Theonik definitely called it when he said the tank designs reminded him of Metal Slug.

Hard to decide if I enjoyed this,
or this,
more.
This is 80s as fuck.
Imaishi is too crude to make anything this clever.
Also upon some research it seems that Metal Slug was infact inspired by the manga designs or at least is widely attributed to be as such. When you see the finished Bonaparte you will see why.
Also you say '80s as fuck' as if we'd want it any other way!

Jintor

Soul Eater NOT 08

Stein is fucking hilarious in this lol. 100% troll. I feel like he should at least be taking notes or something though.

Oh my god they're straight up treating Kim and Jacqualine as if they're dating. I mean, they were pretty explicit with the dream, but now they're like "BREAK UP" and the conversation is exactly how a relationship breakup would go. Hilarious.

The comedy was really on point this episode. Gargantous. The drama, also a step above normal. Art still mostly terrible though, although the action scene was at least storyboarded better than that complete mess last episode.

duckroll

I actually ended up playing some beach volleyball while I was out with friends on Saturday.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least partially influenced to do so since I'm watching Haikyuu, though of course it's not really the same thing.

Did you manage to pull off a ROLLING THUNDER? :D

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I've been chain watching Gintama. It started a little slow, but somewhere near the end of the first season, it turns into pure fucking gold. A combination of funny, sad, hilarity, dumb, jarring, random, and perfect.

Then I hit season 5, after the time skip/year break and like 15-20 episodes in. What happened? I mean, there are still funny parts, but everything seems a bit rushed. The feels are almost non-existent. The random has been super maxed out, to the point it's almost nonsense. It's almost like a new studio/group decided to remake it, but didn't get what made it so awesome. Is this common knowledge or am I just weird?

Theres a bit of a big event somewhat but it takes a very long time to happen. Its really not a show for action fans.
If you want a MMo done in anime that focus on the action , just watch ragnarok online the animation!

It's bad but hey it's teh focus they have chosen !

Soul Eater Not 7

Who is the goddamn coffee master? He reminds me of Free, but I honestly can't tell.

/edit lol "Death Pain Plaza". Death City names are hilarious.

/edit jesus god scorpion lady didn't even bother disguising herself. Security suuuuuucks

TO BE FAIR ONLY 3 people were looking for her in the city at that moment.
But The death city people management could have worked better that's for sure.

blessedbrian

Neo Member
So I do news articles on occasion for a small videogame news site and while doing the obligatory "write for something you don't care much about" I ran an article on MAGES. Inc. announcing three visual novels for the Xbox One

So I decided to check out Psycho-Pass! I am a massive sucker for most things produced by Production I.G. and man was this no exception.

6 episodes in and it even managed to make me queasy, which is no small feat. Compared to my gold standard for I.G. stuff (ie. Stand Alone Complex), I don't think that Urobuchi brings out superior writing chops for the show but damn, the overall direction is just as good. The commentary feels potent without explaining everything off the bat, the art is top-notch and their choice of shots is smartly done.
I hear there's a second season coming soon, as well! Should I get hype?

Also, guddamn supercell

I've been chain watching Gintama. It started a little slow, but somewhere near the end of the first season, it turns into pure fucking gold. A combination of funny, sad, hilarity, dumb, jarring, random, and perfect.

Then I hit season 5, after the time skip/year break and like 15-20 episodes in. What happened? I mean, there are still funny parts, but everything seems a bit rushed. The feels are almost non-existent. The random has been super maxed out, to the point it's almost nonsense. It's almost like a new studio/group decided to remake it, but didn't get what made it so awesome. Is this common knowledge or am I just weird?

What is season 5 ?
What is your episode number ?
And no gintama stays consistent across all his seasons. Some arcs are better than the others BUt i'm pretty sure the consenssus in that gintama stays at a very high quality during all of his episodes after the first big arc.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
What is season 5 ?
What is your episode number ?
And no gintama stays consistent across all his seasons. Some arcs are better than the others BUt i'm pretty sure the consenssus in that gintama stays at a very high quality during all of his episodes after the first big arc.
Season 5 is like, episode 201-252ish. Aka when they hit 16:9 for real.

cajunator

Banned
Remember, it's not a Chobit unless you have to finger her to turn her on!

:D

So you quit about a minute into the first episode, then? =p

He was one of the lucky ones :/

If you want a MMo done in anime that focus on the action , just watch ragnarok online the animation!

Actually, I have, and I own the DVDs. Its not completely awful but its better than SAO. It was set actually inside the MMO world and told as a fantasy story so its not as ridiculous or self inserting. Plus the music is good!

Season 5 is like, episode 201-252ish. Aka when they hit 16:9 for real.
Then Start of season 5 is rough but the first serious arc ( the 4 devas arc ) is freaking awesome. and then there is the "good by elisabeth arc " that is pretty good too.

I think gintama is excellent on those points.
Actually, I have, and I own the DVDs. Its not completely awful but its better than SAO. It was set actually inside the MMO world and told as a fantasy story so its not as ridiculous or self inserting. Plus the music is good!

True , except that they took the most boring part of the universe to make this anime. Having played the mmo, i couldn't understand Why they choose this route and made things boring..the "not-so-blind" mage was alright but i don't think i enjoyed the rest of the characters and they missed or didn't showcase the bosses well either.

I couldn't help but be disapointed.

NeonZ

You disliked the 4 emperors/deva arc?

Anyway, at that point of Gintama, due to the breaks, they heavily cut down on filler material, with most stories being straight from the manga with little extra content. Gintama never had much filler anyway, but by that point they pretty much start adapting some stories panel by panel from the manga. That results in the loss of some of the humor style of the anime staff, so I guess it can be seen as different from the previous ones in that sense. The one anime-only episode early on in season 5 (where they talk about making a movie based on Gintoki's past) is actually mostly reused material from an OVA with some lines changed, and so it's kind of odd.

Outside of that, and the final episode, it's mostly straight adaptations with almost no extra content. There are still a few things here and there though, like the Gintama side of the Sketdance crossover, which is quite a bit longer than the manga original and better for it. Then there's season 6 which is a complete panel by panel adaptation of some later manga arcs, with no extra content at all (aside from a mid-episode extra opening sequence once).

Firemind

I know if I was following the original airing of the show with a community, I'd probably hate SAO a lot more.

Watching the various Internet communities react to every episode was part of the fun. The juxtaposition of AnimeGAF and Tumblr was comedy gold. On one side you had people who compiled things that was wrong with the show backed up by suicidal/not impressed GIFs. On the other side you had people screaming like little girls, posting GIFs of the action/romance scenes and various reaction GIFs, who could not wait until the next episode.

It was beautiful.

Jintor

Watching the various Internet communities react to every episode was part of the fun. The juxtaposition of AnimeGAF and Tumblr was comedy gold. On one side you had people who compiled things that was wrong with the show backed up by suicidal/not impressed GIFs. On the other side you had people screaming like little girls, posting GIFs of the action/romance scenes and various reaction GIFs, who could not wait until the next episode.

It was beautiful.

I don't know why, but Tumblr is the only internet community where I default think of everyone on it as girls.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

It was beautiful.

Where the hell did you post? SAO consisted of one thing and that was questions. Questions questions questions.

Theonik

Dominion: Tank Police 03
Red commandooooooooooooo.
Also a heartwarming story about Byuka (whatever his name is)?
What happened to my tank police. Lol at the start of the episode though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom