• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was this the
Athrun and Cagalli
episode?

Yep. I mean, holy shit, they went all out.

90% of this entire episode involved
Athrun and Cagalli on screen together doing things that make shippers go wild. She's initially hostile towards him but by the end she's all friendly and asks for Athrun's name.

Looking around on Google, nobody's seems to be sure whether or not Gurren Lagann uses Q-TEC for its upscaling. However, it seems that both Read or Die and Baccano don't use Q-TEC, so I'd wager that Gurren Lagann isn't a Q-TEC upscale. Makes sense given how good I've heard it looks, whereas with Q-TEC I've heard nothing but bad things.
Aniplex is the only company at the moment who pays for shows to be re-composited (re-done entirely with the original assets in HD). Working!! (S1) and Gurren Lagann are like this. They are not upscales, but entirely re-done in HD with the original materials. As you can guess, this is time-consuming/expensive.

As for why Aniplex doesn't use Sony PCL, my guess is that they're more comfortable using Q-TEC/Imagina for editing rather than PCL. PCL is on Toradora's committee as well as they are probably on Nanoha's. They're also on Arata Kangatari, Uchouten Kazoku, Devil Survivor 2 The Animation, and Hakkenden - Touhou Hakken Ibun-'s committees last year, so you can see they are on a variety of publishers' lists.

Clov

Aniplex is the only company at the moment who pays for shows to be re-composited (re-done entirely with the original assets in HD). Working!! (S1) and Gurren Lagann are like this. They are not upscales, but entirely re-done in HD with the original materials. As you can guess, this is time-consuming/expensive.

As for why Aniplex doesn't use Sony PCL, my guess is that they're more comfortable using Q-TEC/Imagina for editing rather than PCL. PCL is on Toradora's committee as well as they are probably on Nanoha's. They're also on Arata Kangatari, Uchouten Kazoku, Devil Survivor 2 The Animation, and Hakkenden - Touhou Hakken Ibun-'s committees last year, so you can see they are on a variety of publishers' lists.

That's pretty amazing; I wasn't even aware that it was possible to re-do an SD anime like that. Good for Aniplex! I also wasn't aware that Working S1 was originally done in SD, but I'm glad that it's been redone in HD.

fertygo

That's pretty amazing; I wasn't even aware that it was possible to re-do an SD anime like that. Good for Aniplex! I also wasn't aware that Working S1 was originally done in SD, but I'm glad that it's been redone in HD.

Dem Aniplex tax doe.

JCG

Why is Code Geass on the list? I mean aside from all the school hijinks, the first season is solid.

Because of several crazy events that tend to either polarize people or just make them go nuts. But, unlike almost everything else on the List, opinions about the show are often diverse.

It's always quite possible to watch Code Geass and still end up with positive impressions by enjoying the entertaining craziness of the ride, which is mostly meant to be taken that way based on interviews and commentaries, but also by honestly appreciating various aspects of the series. Another group of folks will tend to have harsher reactions than others. For a certain part of the audience,
Euphinator
ruins the first season and for others it doesn't (I legitimately think episode 23, right afterwards, is one of the best episodes of the entire show). Even views on R2 can be divided between those who claim it's all bad and those who think there are good episodes or scenes, plus whether or not the ending makes up for the flaws (in fact, I'd say the end puts much of the perceived "shark-jumping" stuff in context and, one way or another, adds more thematic sense to it on rewatch).

In short, Code Geass can be placed on the List, given the reactions it causes, but isn't exclusively limited to that label and it's been recommended even outside of those parameters.

Because of the second season and the shit that gets pulled at the end of the first. To quote Hitokage:

I can respect that quoted position, but also tend to think it lacks perspective and nuance. Say, Goro himself announced early on that he was rejecting standard directorial methods.

/XX/

Looking around on Google, nobody's seems to be sure whether or not Gurren Lagann uses Q-TEC for its upscaling. However, it seems that both Read or Die and Baccano don't use Q-TEC, so I'd wager that Gurren Lagann isn't a Q-TEC upscale. Makes sense given how good I've heard it looks, whereas with Q-TEC I've heard nothing but bad things.
Yeah, it happens that each release is like a world in itself after everything is said and done, with many different staff all-in-all, so we can't always say something is going to be better based just on the names of the companies working on it. There are a lot of processes involved on delivering such a product and companies like Q-TEC, INC., are working in a lot more than mastering & authoring (like colour design, visual effects or just video editing)... in fact, the example of Evangelion: 1.11 I mentioned before applies here, as that second release (after the "controversial" Evangelion: 1.01 one) was handled mainly by Sony PCL, but with additional input from both Q-TEC, INC., and IMAGICA Technologies Corp. just for that digital disc release.

I have it, so I guess I could check my BD-BOX and see if I can figure that out when I get home.
That would be great, man!

I remember seeing your photos of the 'LaserDisc-style' box once you received it, but I didn't even think of bothering you asking for pamphlet or insert scans, or anything like that... ( ._.)

So here you are on this forum! I didn't know that... thanks for all your long-standing contribution and great insight, much appreciated! :)

jbug617

Banned
Yowamushi Pedal 38

Are they really going to stop here? Just when the good stuff is about to happen and that
tease at the end.
So I guess I have to wait for a S2. Just leaves me a little upset they stop right in the middle just like
Area no Kishi
did.

Yowamushi Pedal 38

Are they really going to stop here? Just when the good stuff is about to happen and that
tease at the end.
So I guess I have to wait for a S2. Just leaves me a little upset they stop right in the middle just like
Area no Kishi
did.

Fortunately a season 2 is already confirmed for the fall.

Sailor Moon 16

Kind of a boring episode, though the scene of Rei inviting herself over Usagi's house was pretty great. Ami continues to be the best character in this series as she's the only character I don't want to slap the shit out of half the time.

sonicmj1

Spice and Wolf 12

That's a brutal cliffhanger. If I weren't so committed to watching it once a week...

This is one of my favorite episodes so far. The atmosphere gradually darkens as the episode goes on, and while you know nothing will happen at first, everything escalating at the end makes the threat seem real. But really, I'm just excited to see more about Holo.

iR6zHam1wXcgs.jpg

I like how this canted shot establishes the unknown threat of the forest. There's also a great moment around the campfire where the music moves really smoothly from a peaceful theme to the show's urgent theme.

It's kind of amusing how,
with Lawrence so focused on Norah getting captured, he didn't expect to be betrayed by the company.
He really does have a problem with women.

CorvoSol

VOTOMS post series content.

I'm trying to think of a way to say it all sucks without saying it sucks, but in truth everything from Shining Heresy onward is nothing short of some surprisingly well written fan fiction. It's still the tripe fan fiction always winds up being, even if it is enjoyable.

Shining Heresy and the Phantom Arc aren't exactly bad in the normal sense. I felt they were still enjoyable adventures, but there's still so much about them I can't help but hate.

Shining Heresy's biggest sin is that it feels like someone's bad fan fic where they decided to
kill Fyana off so that Chirico could be with their original character who is also a perfect soldier who begins as his enemy but falls in love with him on the battle field!
I can't stress how much I hate the decision to
kill Fyana off and replace her with Teitania.
I mean the original VOTOMS is a 52 episode series and the whole damn show is about
Chirico's fight to find a place that he and Fyana can be together.
Never once in those 52 episodes are the viewers given even the slightest hint that
a Perfect Soldier's life span is two years
and in light of the fact that the Hundred Years' War had just ended, that seems like an incredibly stupid engineering position for Arron and Garon to take, let alone for the entire Society to decide upon. But even beyond the fact that this was never once brought up in VOTOMS and is just part of an annoying twist in Shining Heresy, the real problem is that it undoes pretty much everything that happened in VOTOMS.

I was willing to let it stand, though, for hope that the series would find a way to either rectify it or build upon Chirico's character from it. Rather than do that, though, the Phantom Arc spends its time doubling down on bad decisions are pointlessly rehashing the original VOTOMS. Although the idea of Vanilla and Coconna rekindling their romance is a good one, the minute Chirico returns to the fore it is immediately shunted to the side, and for what? For the sake of writers doing what? Retreading exactly the same ground VOTOMS had already covered. What do the Sunsa and Quent episodes of Phantom Arc even fucking mean?

I mean great, Chirico reconciled with Zophie, that's sweet, but he doesn't say anything, and then suddenly we're back on Quent and
surprise Wiseman is alive and oh yeah he has a baby and now look we're doing the exact "Ya-Me-Ro-Chi-Ri-Co" scene again. For crying out loud the series even ends with Chirico floating through space in a suspended animation bubble with someone. Except this time, rather than the woman he's fought 52 episodes to save, it's just some baby who might be Teitania because I guess they just really could not let her go.

And nowhere, in any of this, do we see Chirico's reaction to
Fyana's death.
He doesn't even tell Coconna, Vanilla and Gotho about it. He's pissed at the end of Shining Heresy, but barely, and the series ultimately treats the
death of the love of his life
as nothing more than a mildly bad day for Chirico that he shrugs off like everything else.

One might say that this is because Chirico is a stoic guy who doesn't tell others how he is feeling and doesn't show it. If one does say this, though, it's because one didn't watch VOTOMS past the first arc. Chirico's concern for how Fyana saw him was so intense that he became physically ill when his exploits as a Red Shoulder were laid bare for her to see. Chirico in Shining Heresy and onward is as though all of his development over the entire series had been taken out and thrown away, along with the unnecessary relationships he had built up over the series for the sake of pairing him off with the author's new favorite pet and then slaking the thirst of those who had apparently been displeased that he had discarded the "gift" he was given at the end of the series.

In fact, all of it is so insane, misguided and off-base with regards to the original VOTOMS that I wonder if Jean Paul Rochina himself didn't write these arcs as Chirico Cuvie fan fiction, like Ice King with his Fiona and Cake stuff.

Add to this the CGI ATs and there's just so much about this to leave a bad taste in one's mouth.

I mean, it's not horrible, I found myself enjoying numerous parts of it, but all of it is so unnecessary and makes so many changes and dares to screw with so much of VOTOMS without properly following through with the sweeping changes it makes that I just cannot find myself with an overall positive impression of it.

Let me say, then, to any who are curious: if you loved VOTOMS, and were satisfied with the way it ended, don't go prying into Shining Heresy. If you were dissatisfied with the ending, still don't do it, because you may find that things can be far worse than you thought.

M3 Episode 11

Definitely one of those anime with worlds you just dont want to live in. Just somber all around.
and worst another femcharacter fated to potentially become necrometallicized. One thing I liked was Heito is still kicking, hopefully rescued safely

Inari, Kon Kon, Koi, Iro ha OVA

They adapted one of the manga chapters that was skipped over, I believe. It was a good adaptation, which is great since episode 10 wasn't that good. Human-form Kon is great! Loved it when she sucker punched Inari. The series can still continue from here, so hopefully it will. The manga comes out at such a slow rate though!

Kadokawa also did some upscales for their previous SD shows with the OP/ED re-done. I'll provide two examples:
FMP: TSR OP/Ep2
Haruhi 2006 OP/Ep1

The FMP: TSR box came out while KyoAni were animating After Story, so it was produced in 720p. The Haruhi BD-Box was during KyoAni's shift to 1080p productions, so it was actually their first work mastered in 1080p. Its main episodes were upscaled by Q-TEC, as you can see with the blurry backgrounds compared to FMP:TSR's. Really a shame and I wonder if that'll be part of the " partly digital re-mastered" mentioned for the 2006 BD-box.

Yeah, it happens that each release is like a world in itself after everything is said and done, with many different staff all-in-all, so we can't always say something is going to be better based just on the names of the companies working on it. There are a lot of processes involved on delivering such a product and companies like Q-TEC, INC., are working in a lot more than mastering & authoring (like colour design, visual effects or just video editing)... in fact, the example of Evangelion: 1.11 I mentioned before applies here, as that second release (after the "controversial" Evangelion: 1.01 one) was handled mainly by Sony PCL, but with additional input from both Q-TEC, INC., and IMAGICA Technologies Corp. just for that digital disc release.

So here you are on this forum! I didn't know that... thanks for all your long-standing contribution and great insight, much appreciated! :)
Thanks for the compliments. I truly appreciate them. I completely agree with your examples and emphasize that there's a lot of staff involved that people don't know about who put these discs out. As always, it's much more complicated that what gets publicly put out there in English.

Syrinx

Aria: The Animation 4

Episode was a nice one, but could have been better without all of the "carrying feelings" cliches. Seeing the message on the card was bittersweet knowing that Allen had been dead for a good while, but it was kinda cathartic to the episode. Also provides a little background information on how Aqua was created/made habitable.

JCG

VOTOMS post series content.

Shining Heresy's biggest sin is that it feels like someone's bad fan fic where they decided to
kill Fyana off so that Chirico could be with their original character who is also a perfect soldier who begins as his enemy but falls in love with him on the battle field!
I can't stress how much I hate the decision to
kill Fyana off and replace her with Teitania.
I mean the original VOTOMS is a 52 episode series and the whole damn show is about
Chirico's fight to find a place that he and Fyana can be together.
Never once in those 52 episodes are the viewers given even the slightest hint that
a Perfect Soldier's life span is two years
and in light of the fact that the Hundred Years' War had just ended, that seems like an incredibly stupid engineering position for Arron and Garon to take, let alone for the entire Society to decide upon. But even beyond the fact that this was never once brought up in VOTOMS and is just part of an annoying twist in Shining Heresy, the real problem is that it undoes pretty much everything that happened in VOTOMS.

To this day, I'm still not entirely sure of where Takahashi was going with this turn of affairs, at least other than
refocusing the post-series narrative on Chirico as a loner who can never know any true happiness for long.
But even then, outside of how utterly unnecessary it is, I get the feeling there could have been a better way to approach that angle. Supposedly Shining Heresy was originally meant to be longer and they could have done something else with the story, but we'll never know for sure.

I mean great, Chirico reconciled with Zophie, that's sweet, but he doesn't say anything, and then suddenly we're back on Quent and
surprise Wiseman is alive and oh yeah he has a baby and now look we're doing the exact "Ya-Me-Ro-Chi-Ri-Co" scene again. For crying out loud the series even ends with Chirico floating through space in a suspended animation bubble with someone. Except this time, rather than the woman he's fought 52 episodes to save, it's just some baby who might be Teitania because I guess they just really could not let her go.

That's a large part of why the last episode of Phantom Arc leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
It also further demonstrates that Wiseman, on a fundamental level, is all talk and little walk, despite supposedly being an extremely intelligent and incredibly powerful entity. I guess they wanted to pay tribute to how the original show ended, as part of the whole nostalgia factor they had going on by revisiting various places, but perhaps this was taking it too far.

I guess there's always
the baby to keep Chirico company and he could eventually raise it, somehow, if they ever attempt to make another sequel...but we don't have much of a reason to care, at least not at this time.

Although...maybe this is wrong, but I'm getting the impression that you might have skipped Alone Again or are saving it for last after watching all the other Votoms spin-offs? It takes place between Shining Heresy and Phantom Arc.

Let me say, then, to any who are curious: if you loved VOTOMS, and were satisfied with the way it ended, don't go prying into Shining Heresy. If you were dissatisfied with the ending, still don't do it, because you may find that things can be far worse than you thought.

Yes, I would have to agree with this.

Clov

Kadokawa also did some upscales for their previous SD shows with the OP/ED re-done. I'll provide two examples:
FMP: TSR OP/Ep2
Haruhi 2006 OP/Ep1

The FMP: TSR box came out while KyoAni were animating After Story, so it was produced in 720p. The Haruhi BD-Box was during KyoAni's shift to 1080p productions, so it was actually their first work mastered in 1080p. Its main episodes were upscaled by Q-TEC, as you can see with the blurry backgrounds compared to FMP:TSR's. Really a shame and I wonder if that'll be part of the " partly digital re-mastered" mentioned for the 2006 BD-box.

Yeah, I was just looking at stuff about the Haruhi and Lucky Star BDs; while both are upscaled, Lucky Star looks a bit better since it apparently doesn't use Q-TEC like Haruhi does. As for the redone OPs, they look fantastic! I hope that the whole series ends up being redone that way.

Yowamushi Pedal 38

Really? That's how this season is going to end? I know there's another one coming but they could at least end this race, ending on this cliffhanger just hurts my soul. Terrible "ending" to a surprisingly good anime.

Mr.Jeff

Aria: The Animation 4

Episode was a nice one, but could have been better without all of the "carrying feelings" cliches. Seeing the message on the card was bittersweet knowing that Allen had been dead for a good while, but it was kinda cathartic to the episode. Also provides a little background information on how Aqua was created/made habitable.
Would you have guessed that was an anime original episode? There's a few scattered throughout the first series. I'm not sure if they were written by Amano or not though.

Majin Bone 11

Don't understand and hate the 180 on the intro villain from the beginning of the series, he went from the silent watching and calculating character to the Jadeite "you always fail and you get one chance" angry rage character out of nowhere.

Besides for that

WELL THAT ESCALATED QUICKLY

So much for normal daily shenanigans and fight at the end because the Primordial Majin just surrounded the Earth :O

Syrinx

Would you have guessed that was an anime original episode? There's a few scattered throughout the first series. I'm not sure if they were written by Amano or not though.

Eh, I'm really not too into details like what's adapted and what's original. Mostly I just try to watch the episodes and judge them purely on that.

firehawk told me I was closing in on an anime-original episode that made 7Th angry, so I guess this was it.

Majin Bone 12

Wow that got real as fuck, having the fights not be in cyber world added a lot to the series. Hopefully the Cocoon doesn't come back and all fights take place in the real world now.

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods

In this movie, Toriyama finally does what he's wanted to do forever and makes Vegata look like a total idiot all the time.

This feels a lot more Dragon Ball then Dragon Ball Z- at least until the big fight at the end- which I think I honestly prefer. Pilaf is even in it. But not Launch. Never Launch.

Beerus is easily the best part of the movie, and the only person to ever acknowledge Oolong even exists. The entire final fight gets kicked off because
he was mad Buu ate all the pudding. He must've been channeling Nanananana.
I like how they fit the explanation for King Kai's planet being as small as it is was because Bills got mad at losing hide and seek one time.
He shows up and does the typical movie only villain thing of beating the protagonist (and Vegeta) with his finger and jumping off his attacks. But being called the "God of Destruction" and being a guy who just destroys planets for a living in Dragon Ball isn't very impressive when pretty much everybody has been able to do that since the first arc in DBZ. Broly destroyed an entire galaxy, I recall.
And then he
just leaves after beating Goku in his SUPA SAIYAJIN GODDO form because they will need him when the next villain comes around

Enjoyable movie, better then Bio Broly/10. Can't wait for the next one where a stronger guy shows up
because they just say that this is only one of twelve universes and that there are stronger guys out there.

Quasar

Inari, Kon Kon, Koi, Iro ha OVA

They adapted one of the manga chapters that was skipped over, I believe. It was a good adaptation, which is great since episode 10 wasn't that good. Human-form Kon is great! Loved it when she sucker punched Inari. The series can still continue from here, so hopefully it will. The manga comes out at such a slow rate though!

Is there any Uka/Touma in it?

cajunator

Banned
Sure, if you watch School Days I'll watch Blood-C or something ;)

Yes! Watch Blood C!

Taking anime seriously? Wow. That's a major mistake.

WEll some shows you can like Haibane Renmei, Kinos Journey, Millennium Actress..

Love Live (S1) 1-13 (END)

Figured I’d check this out after my brief love affair with the FTP game. Found it very enjoyable overall, considerably more so than iM@S (which from memory is the only other idol series I’ve watched). Main positives were the group dynamics, humour and a well-nurtured desire to see the cast succeed. The endgame drama felt contrived and silly, though I gather it’s less of an issue in season 2.

I don’t have any real dislike for the CG dances. It can be a bit jarring when the switch between regular animation and CG is particularly noticeable, but that’s about it.

screen05atxjxa.jpg
screen04pdk7s.jpg

Ranks #1 and #2. Nozomi for her personality / demeanour, interests and (well-intentioned) machinations, Nico for her entertainment value and design.

It's just what I wanted, how ever did you guess? I'd reciprocate if I wasn't at work.

Its fine. Just post when you can :)

No Game No Life 2

Sooo, first you make a cool looking hero:

And then you make this scene:

Anime! I guess haha.

Really like the art, I always like when series are so colorful. Character design is pretty cool too. The idea of a universe where everything is settled with games is a fun one and so far the execution is pretty cool, that Rock-Paper physological game was pretty entertaining to watch.

And this whole scene with Steph was hysterical, I laughed loud at it:

It gets so much better. OH man. This show was WAY too much fun!

anime still confirmed for nippleless dystopia. anime babies dying of malnutrition

nipples used to be a common sight in anime. Not sure what the big deal is.

Got Madoka on Blu-ray today:

Gratsies! Enjoy it! Nice price too wow.

NGNL joins other shows such as Yozakura Quartet in the "was that really necessary?" group of anime where fan service was not needed and is actually a detriment to what could be a better show without it.

Fanservice isnt completely necessary but if it helps sell the show to otaku and make it a success, whatever.

Just Yami on it's own can turn the human brain into pudding.

My name is Quile/10

Majin Bone 13

Boo the Cocoon came back :(

Other then that solid episode, too bad Dragon Bone got yet ANOTHER power up meanwhile the jobber squad continues to suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom