• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

I actually liked Aria the Natural a bit more than Origination. I loved the focus on the world a bit more than the characters. That's not to say I didn't like the characters; I loved them, in fact. I just liked the really mysterious atmosphere that Aria the Natural often had.

Wonderful series, though. I'm a bit tempted to pick up the series on DVD, but I think it's either gotten or is getting a Blu-Ray in Japan. I'll hold out until RightStuf stops being stubborn and enters the world of HD anime.

Love Live! S2 - 03

Man, the songs were just better in season 1 weren't they?

Anyways it was nice to see the rival group of A-Rise being a respectful competitor rather than what I've witnessed in iM@S with Jupiter. As for the songs themselves μ's song was more pleasant to listen to but is held back by horrid CG choreography while A-Rise's was alright but stuck with superb 2D animation, I'm giving this to A-Rise for not only sticking with the proper type of choreography but being able to distinguish the singer's voices better as they are a 3-idol group rather than μ's 9. But yeah like I said, the songs so far was better in season 1.

cajunator

Banned

i still have/wear that shirt!

Sword Art Online - 2

Allrighty, so a month has passed. I'll have to assume the EMP strategy didn't exactly work out somehow.

But don't worry folks! We have Viral/Sanageyama/Cyborg Guy/Link on our side to arrange people together to beat the first boss!

Well that's stupid. Here we have a character voiced by one of my favourite voice actors and he's the guy who gets the first on screen death. How'd he even die anyway? He still had some health left. Must have been bleed damage or something.

"I'm a beta tester and a cheater. I'm a beater." BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh man, it speaks for itself.

its so horrible.
I couldnt believe that no one could come up with a solution to get the headgear off. It was such a stretch.

Nintendoman why are you watching that? Don't do like me. Don't spend your time watching bad anime. Watch GOOD anime. What happened to G Gundam? Did you finish that? Go back to that.

You know better Corvy kun.

For some reason, every time I see the title to this show it can't help but remind me of This Ugly Yet Beautiful World.

I thought I was the only one making this connection. Kudos!
I have that show on Dvd. Im not proud of it.
to me that show marked the beginning of Gainax's decline.

Aria the Animation 01

So yeah, first episode was very cute. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
It was very relaxing and the characters seem charming.
Some quality ara ara too in this. I hope we get much more of it.
I wonder if Ai is coming back. Her name starts with an A. Maybe?

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Aria is so relaxing and adorable.

Jintor

It's not the first time someone commented on believability issues. It's not trying to tie in the real world with the virual world, as the writer is trying to create isolation and desperation amongst the protagonists. It doesn't exactly mean there are no police investigations ongoing; it's not focusing on it and so there is no need to expand on that particular scenario.

Oh god, I'm actually discussing the ramifications of writing in anime without an ounce of sarcasm. I've become one of them.

There's nothing stopping a writer from focusing on those goals, but if standard 'wait, why didn't they just-' issues are constantly popping up to a general viewer, that's a distraction from the writer's main story goals and something that should be addressed. It's bad writing.

If I can address your general position, which seems to be 'ugh all anime is shit why not just let people like what they like', I'd like to for a moment consider the difference between two garbage tier animes like SAO and High School of the Dead and ponder why exactly they get different reactions. Why is it? It's because garbage is garbage, but some garbage is garbage.

Sailor Moon 7

Wow that was completely terrible, by far the worst episode of Sailor Moon so far completely throw away. Usagi and her friends fight felt so forced and ridiculous that I actually laughed at it, combined with the HILARIOUS bad singing and I honestly had to mute my player to keep watching the video. Usagi then forces her cat to do tricks then gets upset when Luna calls her out and reminds her she's got an important mission, FFS this scene is shot to make Luna look like the bad guy but it just makes Usagi look like a spoiled brat (which she is). Also why is Tuxedo Mask's human form such a creeper, like it just seems like he's stalking a random 14 year old girl in his random token scene each episode, isn't she 14 and he like 18 or something?

Also I'm really getting tired of how this show depicted females as a hive mind of mindless bees that flock to super stereotypical things just to have their energy sucked out. Yeah occasionally the male students get in on the action but the crowds are generally 75% female to 25% male. It makes the characters feel incredibly hollow, when Usagi has the most depth of the human characters and she's just a spoiled brat teenage girl something has gone horribly horribly wrong. Combine the fact the episode focuses on these horribly hollow characters getting sucked into fad is like 18 minutes of the entire episodes run time and only the final 2-4 minutes is the battle and resolution it really wears on my patience. I'm honestly glad the English dub originally cut half these episodes they're really dry, boring, and repetitive.

Oh shit my friends are in danger? Better go hide in the bathroom before transforming into a super hero to save the day -.-

SAILOR MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

CorvoSol

Oh but every episode is a special snowflake that must be seen by the masses because it is important.

I kinda feel like half the fun of wading through loooooooooooooong series is finding the good episodes hidden among the more hohum humdrum episodes.

Sailor Moon - Episode 4

So does nobody question these new places opening up on the spot like that? That gym didn't exist a few days ago and then suddenly it just appears. Nothing wrong with that.

The contraption to suck the energy out in this episode looked rediculous, who would think that's an inviting thing to get into to lose weight?

Other than that, Luna jabbing on Usagi was good to see. I imagine this is going to happen a lot more now. The part where
she convinces Usagi to keep fighting to lose weight was good. I was waiting for something like that to happen!

Love Live! S2 - 04

zB89OnC.jpg

KW4t2Yd.jpg

Aw Nico, your jokes are too good.

An enjoyable episode and Nico-centric at that. Episode also tried to troll introducing a new song at the end to immediately cut into the ending theme, derp.

Hey don't put that all on me. Been watching your recommendation with Gurren Lagann, Woofingtons Fate/Zero and my guilty pleasure Black Bullet. :p

I'll be returning to G Gundam in a few hours though.

Lol, I wasn't blaming you. I have a bad habit of starting certain shows and not continuing them for a while, until they become some of the best things I've seen in my life.

IIRC, I started watching Madoka for the first time last year at the beginning of March and finally continued it in April.

its so horrible.
I couldnt believe that no one could come up with a solution to get the headgear off. It was such a stretch.

If you're going to come up with a bunch of realistic reasons why you can't take something off when someone would want to take it off, you have to consider all the possibilities.

If you're not going to be realistic, go all out! Have the helmet fuse with the body or something because of a secret fossil fuel he found deep beneath the Earth's crust!

Strike the Blood just gets worse and worse. I'm impressed. I think I'm going finish this up and roll right into Sword Art Online on the off chance I want the vita game this summer. Needless to say I have no self respect :(

mankoto

Black Bullet 09
Oh hey, it's an episode I really enjoyed. This is either the first or second time this happened. If the entire show was at this pace or at least didn't try to enforce the fact that society didn't like lolis, I'd probably like it more. I would say I'm interested in what happens in the next episode based on the preview given, but the execution isn't really done well here and like Mahouka, it's pretty obvious that there is a bit of content cut out from the Light Novel to fit it into an episode.

Sailor Moon 8

Wow

Well

That was a lot better

Ami before she even said a word was more interesting then all other characters in the show combine, and she works really well with both Usagi and Luna in the scenes they share. The comedy was more on point and better timed, and we finally got to see some team based fighting and it was actually exciting. If Sailor Moon has more episodes like this and less like 7 then I won't have any problems.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon 8

Wow

Well

That was a lot better

Ami before she even said a word was more interesting then all other characters in the show combine, and she works really well with both Usagi and Luna in the scenes they share. The comedy was more on point and better timed, and we finally got to see some team based fighting and it was actually exciting. If Sailor Moon has more episodes like this and less like 7 then I won't have any problems.

I know I tend to bang on about this but this is what I was talking about the other day. These early episodes not only suck for the most part but they are just odd because it features Usagi being a hero by herself. Sailor Moon is build upon the foundation s of Super Sentai tropes and indeed the reason this show became a anime legend is because of the team dynamics.

I thought I was the only one making this connection. Kudos!
I have that show on Dvd. Im not proud of it.
to me that show marked the beginning of Gainax's decline.

It was alright. I am reminded of it every so often.

I don't fully agree Gainax has gone downhill as I thoroughly enjoyed Stella C3.

Lol, I wasn't blaming you. I have a bad habit of starting certain shows and not continuing them for a while, until they become some of the best things I've seen in my life.

IIRC, I started watching Madoka for the first time last year at the beginning of March and finally continued it in April.

Yeah I do that too. I still have to finish all of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I am bad at actually finishing one show before picking up another. Hopefully I can get a few done so I can finish G Gundam and Gurren Lagann. I also want to start on Hyouka.

Black Bullet 8
I enjoyed this episode way more then I should've. Enju's antics while Satomi and Kisara were
teaching
had me rolling. A lot more humor then I thought this episode would've had since it's trying to set up this arc. Also where Tina emerged from and what she said when she woke up had me laughing for a good while. This show just gets better by the episode and seems they really found their footing.

Also the new duo is pretty cool.

The ED is still one of the best!

jman2050

Damn , Ben-to should have continued anime , so they could have sold , each ending as a blu-ray bonus so we could choose how our collection ends ....

it's a nice idea ... I feel thet nisekoi needs something like that too.

Denpa Onna ended the same way.
The author wanted a definite Erio ending but the editor wouldn't let him, so he posted the Erio ending he wanted online lol

S2 when (never lol :( )

Hey don't put that all on me. Been watching your recommendation with Gurren Lagann, Woofingtons Fate/Zero and my guilty pleasure Black Bullet. :p

I'll be returning to G Gundam in a few hours though.

I actually blame my binge watching of House the last few weeks mostly. It's just so freakin entertaining.
Didn't realize I was the reason you are watching fate zero. If so awesome. Btw my friend who is watching it with me for the first time is loving it, and he also barely likes Kiritsugu besides finding him the most interesting of the masters.

Well be finishing it off tomorrow as we also postponed Fargo. I'll be sure to ask him his thoughts on the series. It's been refreshing to watch the show with someone who doesn't necessarily agree with all of my views.

Well besides team rider and waver being the best team. We both agree there.

cajunator

Banned
There's nothing stopping a writer from focusing on those goals, but if standard 'wait, why didn't they just-' issues are constantly popping up to a general viewer, that's a distraction from the writer's main story goals and something that should be addressed. It's bad writing.

If I can address your general position, which seems to be 'ugh all anime is shit why not just let people like what they like', I'd like to for a moment consider the difference between two garbage tier animes like SAO and High School of the Dead and ponder why exactly they get different reactions. Why is it? It's because garbage is garbage, but some garbage is garbage.

Some garbage is gold. Some garbage is just

Oh but every episode is a special snowflake that must be seen by the masses because it is important.

Of course, silly Shardy!

Black Bullet 9

OH MY GOD THERES A LOLI WITH ACTUAL CAT EARS

CAT EARS

tumblr_n6m21msuj01r6syygo2_500.gif

Enju still remains the cutest tho.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom