• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Bullet 9
black9.png
This successfully got me pumped for the next episode. The show is still very entertaining with Enju's accusations of Kisara seducing Rentaro with her boobs. It's pacing really has improved a lot over these last few episodes. Probably my anime of the season. Sorry Nisekoi.

Didn't realize I was the reason you are watching fate zero. If so awesome. Btw my friend who is watching it with me for the first time is loving it, and he also barely likes Kiritsugu besides finding him the most interesting of the masters.

Well be finishing it off tomorrow as we also postponed Fargo. I'll be sure to ask him his thoughts on the series. It's been refreshing to watch the show with someone who doesn't necessarily agree with all of my views.

Well besides team rider and waver being the best team. We both agree there.

Yup you were the reason I started it.

I still find the Kiritsugu/Saber and (S2 E4 Spoiler)
Kirei/Gilgamesh
pairings more fascinating. The Kiritsugu vs Kirei rivalry going on is also one of the most fascinating things about the show.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
You disliked the 4 emperors/deva arc?

Anyway, at that point of Gintama, due to the breaks, they heavily cut down on filler material, with most stories being straight from the manga with little extra content. Gintama never had much filler anyway, but by that point they pretty much start adapting some stories panel by panel from the manga. That results in the loss of some of the humor style of the anime staff, so I guess it can be seen as different from the previous ones in that sense. The one anime-only episode early on in season 5 (where they talk about making a movie based on Gintoki's past) is actually mostly reused material from an OVA with some lines changed, and so it's kind of odd.

Outside of that, and the final episode, it's mostly straight adaptations with almost no extra content. There are still a few things here and there though, like the Gintama side of the Sketdance crossover, which is quite a bit longer than the manga original and better for it. Then there's season 6 which is a complete panel by panel adaptation of some later manga arcs, with no extra content at all (aside from a mid-episode extra opening sequence once).
I don't think I was in the best state of mind when watching the Four Devas/intro to season 5, so that almost definitely had something to do with it. I'm rewatching the arc now and it definitely feels better paced and less rushed overall. I'm digging it. Hope the tail end of season 5 is as awesome as I'm hoping. You are right though, I do miss some of the liberties the anime staff took with the series and that may be why it was a bit jarring.

Stuff that I thought was awesome during the first four seasons were all the times they just talked about anime budgets, blatantly just killing/wasting time (sometimes even timing time wasted), interludes to super serious arcs with nonsense, mannequins, fake intros, driving jokes into the ground, fake endings, fake everything. I really wish I could've seen this show live. I try to imagine how fucking insane some of their stunts must've been when you only get it once a week.

I feel bad for briefly hating on Gintama earlier.

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - 5

This OVA is capable of some really poignant scenes when it allows its characters to actually be affected by the devastation that has taken place. The past two episodes have been building up to this point with the war and Al and Bernie's relationship reaching their climax, and when it focuses on the smaller scale struggles of those within the colony, it could not be better handled. The episode is at its best when its communicating Al's sudden existential crisis that he's experiencing mainly through his visions and expressions. And it all culminates in a final conversation that feels surprisingly well earned and fitting.

Unfortunately, I'm more indifferent about this whole new villain thing than anything. But if this is a necessary evil to receive the great material that makes up the majority of this episode, then I'm okay with that.

CorvoSol

There's far more good than bad in this series thankfully.

I really don't remember particular episodes of Sailor Moon from when I was a kid. I remember broad strokes. Queen Beryl, Meatball Head, Sailor V, Jupiter was Best Girl, Amy was the smart one, Rei had to be a tempered one cuz she was red, Chibimoon was a little shit, Moonlight Knight was that time that Tuxedo Mask was cosplaying as the Mage Knight Job Class from FF5, Neo Tokyo, and um, lots of genders being changed to avoid disclosing the fact that a bunch of people were gay.

Link Man

Banned
Black Bullet 9

i1oFLtabVfURQ.jpg

These faces are amazing.

Oh god, Enju is so :cajun it hurts a little.

Speaking of cajun, we have a new loli. With claws.
And cat ears.

And we have a near-confession. Nice.

This is a fun little group. The story beats are a bit predictable (I can guess who murdered that pair), but I'm still enjoying it.

I actually liked Aria the Natural a bit more than Origination. I loved the focus on the world a bit more than the characters. That's not to say I didn't like the characters; I loved them, in fact. I just liked the really mysterious atmosphere that Aria the Natural often had.

Wonderful series, though. I'm a bit tempted to pick up the series on DVD, but I think it's either gotten or is getting a Blu-Ray in Japan. I'll hold out until RightStuf stops being stubborn and enters the world of HD anime.

Picked up the liteboxes a few weeks ago and was even more enjoyable on my second viewing of the series. Would have been nice to have the thinpaks with the booklets, but like with most bonus content I would probably only view it once.

A BD release does seem to be on the way according to this post, but nothing more appears to have been mentioned since then. Maybe the process is taking longer than expected with 52 episodes, 1 OVA, and a few specials to consider?

Clov

A BD release does seem to be on the way according to this post, but nothing more appears to have been mentioned since then. Maybe the process is taking longer than expected with 52 episodes, 1 OVA, and a few specials to consider?

I'd assume so. It's something that might be on the backburner. Hopefully it will release later in the year.

This reminds me, I'm still annoyed at how RightStuf has been sticking to DVD only releases, mostly because they have Utena. I'm not even budging on that until I can get it on Blu-Ray here. The only release by RightStuf that I actually own is Ristorante Paradiso, and I got that since there's no Blu-Ray even in Japan (and it honestly won't be getting one). It's a pretty nice DVD, at least.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Chaika 1-8

Fun. Sometimes. Animation. Non existent. Will watch. More. Later.

Mahouka 1

I can deal with the Gary stu stuff but omg the incest thing is way worse than I remember it being from the manga. Holy shit. Animation is pretty baller. Bloom is overused.

cajunator

Banned
If you're implying you're sending me a bento, sure.

yay foods

I really don't remember particular episodes of Sailor Moon from when I was a kid. I remember broad strokes. Queen Beryl, Meatball Head, Sailor V, Jupiter was Best Girl, Amy was the smart one, Rei had to be a tempered one cuz she was red, Chibimoon was a little shit, Moonlight Knight was that time that Tuxedo Mask was cosplaying as the Mage Knight Job Class from FF5, Neo Tokyo, and um, lots of genders being changed to avoid disclosing the fact that a bunch of people were gay.

season one was sooooo good.

Black Bullet 9

i1oFLtabVfURQ.jpg

These faces are amazing.

Oh god, Enju is so :cajun it hurts a little.

Speaking of cajun, we have a new loli. With claws.
And cat ears.

And we have a near-confession. Nice.

This is a fun little group. The story beats are a bit predictable (I can guess who murdered that pair), but I'm still enjoying it.

I saw. Going to start it tomorrow. I cant ignore this.

Defuser

The adventures of gary stu in Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment Vita ep 1

My gawd, I wanna kill myself. Typo, missing letters, square blocks in replacement of words and terrible structure, it feels like I'm playing a bootleg pirated game in the 90's. Why did Namco Bandai hired 2 translators in the first place and have to hire a terrible one?

Anyway, on to this cutscene which I played just now.

-Agil holds a texas poker competition.
-Winner of the competiton gets to monopolize Kirito the whole day.
-So naturally of the girls and Klein join in hopes of winning.
-They all lost the game but guess who won?
-That's right, motherfucking Kirito.

The dude is not only good in mmorpg but card games too and he only himself can monopolized himself. Have fun spending the whole day with your right hand.

My gawd, I wanna kill myself. Typo, missing letters, square blocks in replacement of words and terrible structure, it feels like I'm playing a bootleg pirated game in the 90's. Why did Namco Bandai hired 2 translators in the first place and have to hire a terrible one?

The dude is not only good in mmorpg but card games and he only himself can monopolized himself. Have fun spending the whole day with your right hand.

I was hoping Klein would win

cajunator

Banned

The dude is not only good in mmorpg but card games too and he only himself can monopolized himself. Have fun spending the whole day with your right hand.

I hate Sword Art Online soooooo much. Why cant it do something, anything to redeem itself?

I'd assume so. It's something that might be on the backburner. Hopefully it will release later in the year.

This reminds me, I'm still annoyed at how RightStuf has been sticking to DVD only releases, mostly because they have Utena. I'm not even budging on that until I can get it on Blu-Ray here. The only release by RightStuf that I actually own is Ristorante Paradiso, and I got that since there's no Blu-Ray even in Japan (and it honestly won't be getting one). It's a pretty nice DVD, at least.

I have no idea the differences in cost between DVD and BD replication, but that may be one reason as to why Right Stuf has yet to release any Blu-rays. Here's what Shawne Kleckner had to say about the BD issue through his Reddit AMA earlier this year.

http://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/1vpaih/hello_i_am_shawne_kleckner_president_of_anime/cev93qf?context=3

Note that Shawne states "There are several potential titles we're considering". Probably just going to be a waiting game until Right Stuf announces their first BD release. Maybe this will happen at Anime Expo this year, as a new license has been hinted at through the Fandom Post forums with every Thursday update under the Hints and Notes from Shawne section.

mankoto

Mekakucity Actors 08
They had me and then they lost at the end. What exactly happened? Should I just go read the LN or mangs for a better understanding?

Clov

I have no idea the differences in cost between DVD and BD replication, but that may be one reason as to why Right Stuf has yet to release any Blu-rays. Here's what Shawne Kleckner had to say about the BD issue through his Reddit AMA earlier this year.

http://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/1vpaih/hello_i_am_shawne_kleckner_president_of_anime/cev93qf?context=3

Note that Shawne states "There are several potential titles we're considering". Probably just going to be a waiting game until Right Stuf announces their first BD release. Maybe this will happen at Anime Expo this year, as a new license has been hinted at through the Fandom Post forums with every Thursday update under the Hints and Notes from Shawne section.

There's obviously a big difference, but when literally everyone else has moved on from DVD-only, it doesn't leave a good impression on me about them. Even a company as small as Discotek does some Blu-Ray releases.

I'll keep an eye out for whatever they announce at Anime Expo, but all I really want out of them are the Utena Blu-Rays. I'm sure that's one of their biggest titles, so hopefully I'll get news by then.

There's obviously a big difference, but when literally everyone else has moved on from DVD-only, it doesn't leave a good impression on me about them. Even a company as small as Discotek does some Blu-Ray releases.

I'll keep an eye out for whatever they announce at Anime Expo, but all I really want out of them are the Utena Blu-Rays. I'm sure that's one of their biggest titles, so hopefully I'll get news by then.

I too would enjoy owning Blu-rays for all titles in my anime collection over DVDs. I also understand that not all BD-upscales of older series don't look great, as was the case with Haibane Renmei's Japanese BD release and probably the reason FUNimation only did a DVD release. The only HD-native series that come to mind for Right Stuf are Sora no Woto, Blessing of the Campanella, and Sengoku Collection. I am sure Right Stuf will get around to releasing Blu-rays someday. I mean Anime Sols also has yet to release a Blu-ray set through their crowd-funding.

Yup you were the reason I started it.

I still find the Kiritsugu/Saber and (S2 E4 Spoiler)
Kirei/Gilgamesh
pairings more fascinating. The Kiritsugu vs Kirei rivalry going on is also one of the most fascinating things about the show.

Haha. Ironically I'm not even the guy that pushes Fate Zero the most in here. Somebody here, can't remember who, always pushes it everytime somebody asks for a recommendation. I tend to give a list and Fate Zero is in it.

Man I wish I could remember who it was. He has a moe girl for his avatar. But then again who doesn't.

cajunator

Banned
I too would enjoy owning Blu-rays for all titles in my anime collection over DVDs. I also understand that not all BD-upscales of older series don't look great, as was the case with Haibane Renmei's Japanese BD release and probably the reason FUNimation only did a DVD release. The only HD-native series that come to mind for Right Stuf are Sora no Woto, Blessing of the Campanella, and Sengoku Collection. I am sure Right Stuf will get around to releasing Blu-rays someday. I mean Anime Sols also has yet to release a Blu-ray set through their crowd-funding.

Sora no Woto bluray would be an instant buy

Clov

Anime Sols I can excuse for being very recent and very small (unlike other North American anime companies, they need to crowd-fund every release). Often their titles just barely make their deadline (like with some of the Creamy Mami and Dear Brother sets). Hopefully they'll eventually get to a point where Blu-Ray will be viable for them, for whatever titles they have that it's available for.

RightStuf I'm less patient with, since they've been around for a while, and run their own fairly popular online business. I obviously don't know their exact financial state, but I would assume that they have the capability to handle Blu-Ray releases, unlike Anime Sols. Still, they have news for Anime Expo, so hopefully I'll get my wish.

Seitokai Yakuindomo* OVA

hpM5gQgl.jpg

This show is like remembering your favorite voice actors you never hear anymore.

Puchimas!! 53

How to diet and relapse.

Nobunaga ZA FOOL 21

NAGAMASAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to 09

What young girl that ends with a punch.

Shinryaku! Ika Musume 03

Ghosts, learning how to swim and a new employee. Still enjoyable reaction faces.

Majin Bone 10

All I hear is Dragon Bone.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Mahouka 2-5

I guess since this is a "harem" I'll do an obligatory best girl rating up to this point.

Mibu = Chiba = Watanabe = Mayumi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Miyuki

Oh wait.... This actually ended up being the worst girl post.

cajunator

Banned
Mahouka 2-5

I guess since this is a "harem" I'll do an obligatory best girl rating up to this point.

Mibu = Chiba = Watanabe = Mayumi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Miyuki

Oh wait.... This actually ended up being the worst girl post.

azusa > your waifu

My favorite anime>>Onii-sama>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Your Favorite Anime >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Miyuki

Close the ballots, this is definite.

Seitokai Yakuindomo* OVA

hpM5gQgl.jpg

This show is like remembering your favorite voice actors you never hear anymore.

A series that I would love to see licensed, but know that it will never happen. At least Crunchyroll managed to simulcast the second season, and I hope they manage to get the first season and maybe even the nine OVAs and counting in the future.

Fate/Zero S2 5
I guess the theme of this show is to
not get too attached to characters because they'll all just die on you
. I am not a fan of flashback episodes but this one was pretty great and helped me understand one of the more interesting characters of the show. His past still doesn't justify the terrible things he does. I also now know why everyone was calling him Kerry. There was a lot of "Holy Shit!" moments in this episode. This show really goes for shock value.
Damn you Fate/Zero for killing off a perfectly great character like Shirley. RIP Shirley. ;_;

Fate/Zero S2 5

I guess the theme of this show is to
not get too attached to characters because they'll all just die on you
. I am not a fan of flashback episodes but this one was pretty great and helped me understand one of the more interesting characters of the show. His past still doesn't justify the terrible things he does. I also now know why everyone was calling him Kerry. There was a lot of "Holy Shit!" moments in this episode. This show really goes for shock value.
Damn you Fate/Zero for killing off a perfectly great character like Shirley. RIP Shirley. ;_;

You've also now experienced the incandescent light of Glorious CG Truck.

There's one more flashback episode so keep watching, they're a pair and the second one is especially great/gut-wrenching and explains WAY more about modern Kiritsugu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom