• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
But even witches wear shorts while playing football.

1db053a8pesb1.jpg

Articalys

So I think someone mentioned earlier that NGNL had just finished 2 volumes worth of content through episode 8 last week? I wonder if we can draw up some kind of correlation between the pacing of a LN adaptation and its quality.

cajunator

Banned
So I think someone mentioned earlier that NGNL had just finished 2 volumes worth of content through episode 8 last week? I wonder if we can draw up some kind of correlation between the pacing of a LN adaptation and its quality.

I replied to your PM. I think you should go with the more recent Aria DVD releases. The guidebooks are very simple greyscale things and pretty cheap. The only standout thing is the artboxes and they are just chipboard.

e_i

The Mayo Chiki dub is coming the 30th to the Anime Network online. I hope the Watamote dub isn't that far behind.

Articalys

That's nice of them. Now to just hope that GKids has something good on the way.

sonicmj1

Kino's Journey 8

Wow. A story that worked out well for everyone. I forgot what that was like.

The other unusual thing about this episode is that it's narrated from an outsider's perspective. It's the story of a girl named Nimya's efforts to build a flying machine in a country devoted to agriculture. The climactic moment didn't hit as strongly as I'd hoped it would, but I was really impressed with how they visually captured her story. It jumps around a lot in time, but the way images are filtered makes it clear what's happening when.

iXzhepXBprTMU.jpg
ibudQX372UYKSh.jpg

Fantasy and reality.

It wasn't really relevant in this episode, but I'm starting to get curious about who Kino's master was. He's been mentioned in passing, but I'd like to hear more about him.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Packaging and a book for an additional £65? Really? I think they need to hire someone to sort out their balance sheets if it costs them that much to produce. I'm not that interested in the product which is why I didn't buy it I just think anime will never get out of the niche ghetto with that kind of price.

Theonik

Packaging and a book for an additional £65? Really? I think they need to hire someone to sort out their balance sheets if it costs them that much to produce. I'm not that interested in the product which is why I didn't buy it I just think anime will never get out of the niche ghetto with that kind of price.
It's pretty expensive when you consider the volumes they sell. This is why you mostly just get garbage at 30 quid too!

Clov

I'm not that interested in the product which is why I didn't buy it I just think anime will never get out of the niche ghetto with that kind of price.

I'm not confident that physical releases of anime will ever escape the "niche ghetto" in the first place. For many of the new anime fans that stuff like Attack on Titan is making, they can watch it not only on Toonami, but Netflix (and other streaming services) as well. I think physical releases of anime will always be niche to an extent, it's just a matter of degrees; on one end you have the "not quite so" niche (Funimation releases), and then on the other you have the "very much so" niche (NISA and Aniplex releases).

Theonik

Nah things like Attack on Titan will sell INSANE numbers physical. Funi is probably expecting to make mad change out of that.
The problem is everyone else is stuck with breadcrumbs.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's pretty expensive when you consider the volumes they sell. This is why you mostly just get garbage at 30 quid too!
Well I've said it before but I'm usually only interested in the film/show and not much else. Unless I'm a big fan in the first place I'm unlikely to invest more in it. A film I've never seen doesn't get my extra dosh. It's why I praised the Madoka release because it get it simple and cheap compared to other shows.

I'm not confident that physical releases of anime will ever escape the "niche ghetto" in the first place. For many of the new anime fans that stuff like Attack on Titan is making, they can watch it not only on Toonami, but Netflix as well. I think physical releases of anime will always be niche to an extent, it's just a matter of degrees; on one end you have the "not quite so" niche (Funimation releases), and then on the other you have the "very much so" niche (NISA and Aniplex releases).
Well this is a film and I think there is still a market for those just picking up a cheap film out of curiosity. That's why I said the £20 price is much saner in that regard, but Ghibli films (obviously they have the biggest mainstream appeal) can drop to as little as £5.

Touch 25-26
I was expecting
Kazuya's death
, but wow, this was really well done. The direction, and the writing here were excellent and
it's one best death sequences I've seen in something animated. It's rare to get moments like this in anime that feel so real and human. Or maybe it just connected with me more because I've had a similar experience to that scene where they are sitting in the hospital and they captured the tone and mood of it so well.

Clov

Nah things like Attack on Titan will sell INSANE numbers physical. Funi is probably expecting to make mad change out of that.
The problem is everyone else is stuck with breadcrumbs.

I'm sure that huge stuff like Attack on Titan, DBZ, the upcoming Cowboy Bebop Blu-Rays, etc will sell great. Naturally there's many more releases than just the well known ones though, and I'm not expecting those to do significantly better than they've always done.

Well this is a film and I think there is still a market for those just picking up a cheap film out of curiosity. That's why I said the £20 price is much saner in that regard, but Ghibli films (obviously they have the biggest mainstream appeal) can drop to as little as £5.

That's a very good point, especially for films like Pantema Inverted that can appeal outside of the traditional anime crowd.

You're lucky to be getting Ghibli films for so cheap though! Over here in Canada, Disney keeps the prices around $30 per Blu-Ray.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you want me to kickstart tell All The Anime to bring over Mitsudomoe and I may consider giving them my emergency £50 note I keep in a drawer.

Theonik

I'm sure that huge stuff like Attack on Titan, DBZ, the upcoming Cowboy Bebop Blu-Rays, etc will sell great. Naturally there's many more releases than just the well known ones though, and I'm not expecting those to do significantly better than they've always done.
No they really wont. Anime fans are compelled to watch anime for free no matter the cost.
That's largely affected by the fact that anime mostly attracts cheap arse teenagers too in the west and Japan is what it is.

Well I've said it before but I'm usually only interested in the film/show and not much else. Unless I'm a big fan in the first place I'm unlikely to invest more in it. A film I've never seen doesn't get my extra dosh. It's why I praised the Madoka release because it get it simple and cheap compared to other shows.
If that's what you're after you are better served with the 20GBP standard version which is just that!

Clov

No they really wont. Anime fans ae compelled to watch anime for free no matter the cost.
That's largely affected by the fact that anime mostly attracts cheap arse teenagers too in the west and Japan is what it is.

Sad but true! As long as companies here have their expectations in check though (which most seem to), we'll keep getting the smaller works that have less mainstream appeal.

And companies will also continue to ignore the anime that I want brought over the most, because they're all secretly collaborating to make me suffer.

Clov

inb4 branduil hyouka tears.
More importantly, where is Dog Days. That seems like something people would buy.

Hyouka at least has a chance! Sentai said that they're looking into other KyoAni anime at a recent panel they had (I think at Momocon?), namely Nichijou, Hyouka, and Free. There's a chance there!

On the other hand, who the hell is going to release Moyashimon?

As for Dog Days, it seems like something Sentai would pick up. I'm actually surprised that they haven't.

Theonik

Hyouka at least has a chance! Sentai said that they're looking into other KyoAni anime at a recent panel they had (I think at Momocon?), namely Nichijou, Hyouka, and Free. There's a chance there!

On the other hand, who the hell is going to release Moyashimon?

As for Dog Days, it seems like something Sentai would pick up. I'm actually surprised that they haven't.
Oh did they I must be out of the loop then. Hope lives on!
As for Dog Days yeah I'm really surprised. It has Sentai written all over, or at least NISA.

Clov

Oh did they I must be out of the loop then. Hope lives on!
As for Dog Days yeah I'm really surprised. It has Sentai written all over, or at least NISA.

I could see NISA releasing it in the future. They often pick up titles that have been left alone for a few years, might be more affordable that way. Which reminds me, I need to get around to picking up their Bunny Drop and Daily Lives of High School Boys releases. I might grab the former later in the summer, but my schedule is packed pretty tightly right now.

That also reminds me, they need to get on with revealing their set of Uchouten Kazoku. Great anime, and I'm sure they'll give it a great release as well.

Finished Nekomonogatari yesterday, going to start Second Season this evening. I've heard it's considered the best part of the series. Really excited about it.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty pissed at this whole region locking thing. Decided to buy Bakemonogatari blurays, but then I found out that they are all Region A/B only...

duckroll

Soul Eater Not - Episode 9

YVvfVbw.jpg

Girls, don't quit your day job.

Probably the best episode of the show so far (not saying much). Maybe they should have considered turning the entire series into a format like this. Tiny mini-stories within an episode ala Azumanga works so much better. There was some pretty good animation this week too. There's aggressive :sdburton fighting, there's baseball, there's a bunch of Meme foreshadowing, and some really fucking bad singing. Something for everyone! :p

Looks like the last 3 episodes are going to take a "serious" turn though. If they're going to end it on an action note, hopefully they have the animation to back it up...

I replied to your PM. I think you should go with the more recent Aria DVD releases. The guidebooks are very simple greyscale things and pretty cheap. The only standout thing is the artboxes and they are just chipboard.

I actually found an unboxing video that shows off some parts of the guidebook from the first Aria set. www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbxv2xS1_-M#t=7m07s

I am happy with just owning the liteboxes for now. Wouldn't mind owning Aria the Box, a 3-disc music set, but that's far OOP.

Clov

Soul Eater Not - Episode 9

Probably the best episode of the show so far (not saying much). Maybe they should have considered turning the entire series into a format like this. Tiny mini-stories within an episode ala Azumanga works so much better. There was some pretty good animation this week too. There's aggressive :sdburton fighting, there's baseball, there's a bunch of Meme foreshadowing, and some really fucking bad singing. Something for everyone! :p

That's something I was thinking too. The series would work so much better in this format than trying to shove in all this drama and action bits. I feel like I would care more about the characters if I just got to watch them do silly, brief day-to-day things. Apart from this episode, it really doesn't work as a slice-of-life anime, I think. Something about it is really off, and it's not just the animation.

Midonin

No Game No Life 09

It was worth it for that scene at the end of the episode. This is what separates Sora from Tatsuya for me, and also from Mondaiji's Izayoi for that matter. If I want to respect a hero, they need to have a moment where they break down. It can be out of fear, out of compassion, out of something. But an emotional scene like that one, one that exposes a hero's weaknesses and vulnerabilities, is the greatest foundation for heroism, more than anything "badass". Because that's what doing the right thing is about. Overcoming adversity. The grayscale tones at the start of the episode, and the way it served as a character piece for Shiro, made for a great episode where the rules of the game weren't as important as what the game represented. Only now is the animal-eared kingdom truly ready to be beaten at their own game.

Anyone go into an anime completely blind without reading anything about it except knowing the title? I just started The Pet Girl of Sakurasou not knowing what to expect but I found the title fascinating.

And so far, I'm enjoying it. The characters fit into obvious archetypes. They're all done in really over the top ways but they're all likable in their own ways. The interaction between characters can get overbearing as MC is forced to take care of a girl who has been imported from England and can't do anything by herself, including putting on her own clothes which leads to many misunderstandings.

I also found a funny connection with No Game No Life. The guy who plays Sorata in pet girl is Sora in NGNL and girl who plays Mashiro in pet girl is Shiro in NGNL. o_O

Dresden

I also found a funny connection with No Game No Life. The guy who plays Sorata in pet girl is Sora in NGNL and girl who plays Mashiro in pet girl is Shiro in NGNL. o_O

Well, and the same director.

The first half of Sakurasou is a pretty good romcom... drama... whatever. The second half doesn't exist.

Clov

Anyone go into an anime completely blind without reading anything about it except knowing the title? I just started The Pet Girl of Sakurasou not knowing what to expect but I found the title fascinating.

This always turns out badly for me it seems. The last two anime I did this with was Ladies Versus Butlers (Maids versus Butlers? Sounds great!) and Zettai Bouei Leviathan (Probably has to do with demons or something, right?). I still remember watching the latter and seeing the Gonzo logo pop up in the opening, and slowly realizing the terrible, terrible mistake I had made.

Could I have stopped? That's not an option for me; I always finish a show I start, no matter how bad it is. How I have suffered...

Conan-san

NGNL 9
Yeah, threre were a whole mess of ways they could have followed up on
Nightmare Mode ED
but was about the most tasteful if somewhat disapointing.

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey 8

Wow. A story that worked out well for everyone. I forgot what that was like.

The other unusual thing about this episode is that it's narrated from an outsider's perspective. It's the story of a girl named Nimya's efforts to build a flying machine in a country devoted to agriculture. The climactic moment didn't hit as strongly as I'd hoped it would, but I was really impressed with how they visually captured her story. It jumps around a lot in time, but the way images are filtered makes it clear what's happening when.

It wasn't really relevant in this episode, but I'm starting to get curious about who Kino's master was. He's been mentioned in passing, but I'd like to hear more about him.

This is my favorite episode of Kino. So much to love about it. Its so optimistic and inspiring. Nimya is a cutie with a wonderful dream and the way she overcomes obstacles to make the dream reality was so enjoyable. A true inventors tale.

inb4 branduil hyouka tears.
More importantly, where is Dog Days. That seems like something people would buy.

Yeah WHERE THE FUCK IS IT LICENSORS?

I actually found an unboxing video that shows off some parts of the guidebook from the first Aria set. www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbxv2xS1_-M#t=7m07s

I am happy with just owning the liteboxes for now. Wouldn't mind owning Aria the Box, a 3-disc music set, but that's far OOP.

Yeah I have the 4 box sets like this. Honestly, aside from the nice artbox its not really special and not worth paying exorbitant prices for.

Gift that keeps on giving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom