• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what anime really needs? An anime similar to that Yankee imgur comic. We have a straight up Murican who is completely oblivious of Japanese culture who moves there. He is transferred to the school and shit gets serious. I'll make it seki kun lengths.

Makoto: I'm here to introduce myself Powers-san. My name is Makoto Sakura.

Jerry: Nice to meet you Makoto. But call me Jerry.

Makoto: Oh! Powers-san you can't just call me by my name or not give me an honorific! We're not close enough for that! You see here in Japa-

*Airplane taking off back to America*

No Game No Life 9
I enjoyed the episode, It felt a little faster paced, but they did a good job adapting the mini-arc. I felt the scene at the end did a good job in making the characters seem human as they brought out and played on their weaknesses instead of having them be completely unfazed by when just went down.

LN Talk:
I was surprised they managed to get through this arc in 1 episode. All while I was reading it, It seemed like it would have taken 2 episodes at maximum. They cut out and changed a few things, but to be fair, apart from Sora testing the Laws to see how far they go (It was 3-4 pages long and serves to explain some future events better) everything they was was pretty minor details -Jibril going to the Eastern Confederacy to confirm Sora's existance, the game Shiro played being on a tablet instead of a chess board, Shiro asking her questions through the tablet and Steph being vocally burned by Shiro (it was hilarious). On the bright side though, since we have an extra episode to really bring out the last arc, its sure to be extra awesome.

-Horizon-

No Game No Life 9

Best show. Best show of the ever. EVER.
My heart can't take this tension and insanity every episode.

Pls, never split up Shiro and Sora again ;-;

CorvoSol

Clannad 14

WsyPWLc.jpg

So here's what I think: The show's heart is clearly in the right place. They want to tell a heart-warming, feel good story of a boy who helps out everybody while neglecting the hurt he himself is hiding, and that's admirable. I don't particularly care for the character designs and I find the voice direction annoying, but I get it, and I can't well hate on a show that wants to do a good thing.

But here is where a problem really arises. They lay it on way, way too thick. There's no subtlety to anything in Clannad, and that lack of subtlety murders the natural merit of the story, going from something heart-warming and heart-felt to something that feels like a Hallmark Channel production intent upon smothering me into feeling love for it.

This Kotomi arc is the perfect illustration of that problem. At it's root it is perfectly acceptable. Disregarding my disdain for Kotomi's idiot savant nature and the toxic-saccharine voice that Okazaki's harem all share, it's a story about a girl whose parents died a horrible, tragic death and how that frightened her into hiding for the rest of her life, and how a guy does nice things for her without any thought of reward beyond her well being. If that's a bit Sunday School, that's okay because that's sort of what they're going for here anyway.

The problem, though, is the need to add to that. Okazaki doesn't need to have this shared past with Kotomi at all. It adds a motive, I suppose, in the vein of "I want to atone for a mistake I made back then" but then the way it all lines up with her birthdays is entirely too convenient, and the atonement feels forced when you factor in that Okazaki didn't even remember this when he met her anew, and that we know he's completely capable of helping people without such motivations. It almost detracts from his character. In addition to the dates lining up perfectly "oh they died on her birthday which is also the day nobody came to her party which is also the day when we finally get her her presents!" I feel that the suitcase is just really, really pushing it.

Not in and of itself, mind you. A suitcase with a teddie bear from mom and dad is just fine. The arc takes the time to establish that Don Creeperton is an old friend of Mr. Ichinose, and that he wants to contact Kotomi already, and simplicity dictates that he ought to have had this teddie since the arc began and is trying to get it to her for that reason. The long scene of the teddie bear traveling through every country and every language to Kotomi is just way, way too much. I could hear Wilford Brimley calling my name, there was so much unnecessary sugar at that moment.

Additionally, the paper Kotomi burned being a catalogue of teddies leaves me wondering at the point of that entire section of the plot, and feeling like it was an unnecessary amount of drama surrounding what could've just been a heartwarming reunion between a little girl and the memory of parents long since lost, and I don't get how a bus crash caused Kotomi to fall to the ground shrieking in traumatic stress memories of a plane crash to which she was not even witness and to which she did not react so violently when she was much younger and less mature, either.

The last remaining issue I take with this arc is that it works so much better if the cast isn't a bunch of teenagers. If Okazaki isn't delinquent from High School, but is missing from work or from college (which are more easily excused to my Western mind, but which might be harder to skip to the Eastern, I suppose) and if Okazaki is a man of somewhat more increased years, it makes more sense for him to be able to do this stuff. As it is it sort of pissed me off that Kotomi comes back to school and only her teacher responds, whereas nobody is like "WELCOME BACK TO SCHOOL OKAZAKI!"

But I digress. The point is, while I appreciate that this show has its heart in the right place, it needs to learn to exercise self-control. There was just way too much fat in this arc that wasn't necessary and that cheapened the emotional meat of the plot.

If it helps corvo about halfway through the second season they graduate high school and there are some year skips. In fact the second half of after story is when the anime gets damn good. Everything beforehand is decent and like you said has good heart, It's just a bit in your face with how they want you to feel. I mean they achieved with me but I cry over everything.

Clannad 14
*snip*

Those are fair criticisms, I'd say. The Kotomi arc didn't really hit it home for me, and I completely agree with you on the fact that the scene of the travelling suitcase kinda lays it on too thick.

But as we've all been saying, After Story is where it's at. It gets much better as it progresses and the second half of After Story is just...beautiful.

Blusby

That Ghoul trailer looked amazing, I really love the manga so this is definitely second only to Fate for series that I'm even looking forward to.

Shergal

Clannad 14

The over-exaggerated and melodramatic nature of everything in Clannad is a something you just have to accept as a prerequisite to really get into the show. It's a trait it shares with all the other Key stuff, and one of the main points where their works are divisive (other things being the random magical bullshit and the horrid character art).

trejo

Ok I'll bite so, what exactly is it that makes No Game No Life so darn tootin' amazeballs? Cause I gotta say judging by the pic and description for it in the OP it feels like the kinda show that oughta have a big fat NOPE.jpg splattered all over it.

Ok I'll bite so, what exactly is it that makes No Game No Life so darn tootin' amazeballs? Cause I gotta say judging by the pic and description for it in the OP it feels like the kinda show that oughta have a big fat NOPE.jpg splattered all over it.

Witty genius mind games is why I find it so exciting. The episode with the word play is an example of why its quite good.

Though I like the source a bit more than the anime.

Firemind

Anime. You can't judge anime by its lolis. No, wait, yes you can.

Blusby

It's hilarious, NGNL is one of the funnier series that I've seen, and I've seen over 20 whole animes!

fertygo

Its surprisingly entertaining with the various game premise, the jokes also decent..

I don't buy the "amazeball" hype tho, because the disgusting visual drag it down.

TheRancor

Tokyo Ghoul PV 2

Doesnt look too bad, I hope it will be better adapted than say Zetman.
Will check out to see potential sakuga.

The over-exaggerated and melodramatic nature of everything in Clannad is a something you just have to accept as a prerequisite to really get into the show. It's a trait it shares with all the other Key stuff, and one of the main points where their works are divisive (other things being the random magical bullshit and the horrid character art).
Yeap, that's basically Keyshit.

Crocodile

Tokyo Ghoul PV 2

Doesnt look too bad, I hope it will be better adapted than say Zetman.

Man this does look good!

@Everybody: Is this something I can look forward too? Good characters, interesting plot/narrative, loli free?

Haha yeah that's been my exact reaction too. I suppose I'll have to try it to see if it lives up to the hype/I can deal with the less savory elements :p

Its surprisingly entertaining with the various game premise, the jokes also decent..

I don't buy the "amazeball" hype tho, because the disgusting visual drag it down.

Dude the art direction is perfect, what are you talking about? Unless you're referring to the gratuitous amount of fan-service, then I can't argue that. It was difficult recommending this show to my younger brother when you've got an 11 year old's panties in your face like 5 minutes into the first episode. But it's so good despite that!!

Westlo

Yu Yu Hakusho 1-2

Togashi da gawd. I'm liking the opening few episodes more than Hunter.

110 more episodes of this, still behind HxH 2011 by 59 episodes, the manga is back, fuck this summer season, it's the summer of Togashi
wow.png

Anyone know the VA for that new DOA character...? Dat voice.

CorvoSol

Yamato 12

This is the episode from which DAT BOOTY gif comes. Appropriately, girl whose name escapes me at the moment swings dat ass in front of the screen just moments before swinging it in front of Kodai and telling him he can start a new family in space. None of that is suggestive, no sir, not at all.

In all seriousness, though, it is interesting to see how the cast copes with the revelation that the aliens are not so different and that Man shot first. To me it isn't about the twist, but the reaction to it. In Nadesico it was an emotional moment that both robbed them of the will to fight and fueled them onward. In Macross it was accompanied by breakdowns on both sides. In Gundam AGE is lead Hitler to try and commit genocide before he'd hit puberty. This post-contact moment is sort of a test of what kind of show this is going to be from here on out, and it is encouraging that the show is demonstrating how all of that is processed differently from person to person. The key reactors are Shima and Kodai, with Yamamoto in third, and it is interesting to see how everyone around them helps them along. Most notably, though, I love the way the older crew members, who have had their whole lives to know this awful truth, are trying to help the younger crew members, and how Shima's anger is the greatest in spite of the fact that the show demonstrates he has the best reason to not hate the Garmilas.

I also adore the sight of alien civilization in this show. Like, I'm cool with warship to warship combat, and starfighters are okay, but alien civilizations are what I love most about Space Operas, I think. Seeing the graveyard scene in this episode was awesome.

Midonin

Chaika 09

Not the happiest childhood. This is why Chaika is important to everyone - she's the voice of light, the voice of hope, and of course, she's cute. "Pyrospheres" as an alternate version of fireworks is alright, but you'd think that fireworks are something that could exist in any universe. Maybe it's because they're created by magic? And on that note, I wonder if any of the shopkeepers have ever used their own memories. I know the guy they talked to had a few things he'd rather forget.

Link Man

Banned
Chaika 9

irCPxVjNbmJ9h.jpg

This episode was anything but. Some nice world-building and backstory, really fleshed out the characters a bit.

So much Onii-sama, though.

Blusby

Man this does look good!

@Everybody: Is this something I can look forward too? Good characters, interesting plot/narrative, loli free?

Yes it's good, well defined cast and an interesting yet free flowing plot. By loli-free I assume you mean terrible fanservice? Be rest assured that Ghoul has absolutely no fanservice whatsoever.

Man this does look good!

Not entirely loli-free, but none really play a role.

It's interesting, but not amazing or anything on the plot/character side of things. Some guy gets turned into this vampire-like thing that eats humans, but is reluctant to do so because he once was one and stuff. It's kind of like Shiki where there's a whole morality theme regarding humans eating meat, so should ghouls be allowed to eat humans or not.

Then it goes full-on action.

CorvoSol

If it helps corvo about halfway through the second season they graduate high school and there are some year skips. In fact the second half of after story is when the anime gets damn good. Everything beforehand is decent and like you said has good heart, It's just a bit in your face with how they want you to feel. I mean they achieved with me but I cry over everything.

So I took a class on light and sound and it had a unit on advertisement and this show is always making me remember it because it telegraphs how it wants you to feel using those lights and sounds. Lots of wordless vocals and sunset scenes, for instance. Which is okay, because I'm far enough along now to appreciate that visuals and sounds are part of what an animation should use to elicit responses from the audience. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not being moved by some smoke and mirrors to emotion, and that I genuinely feel for the characters. On the one hand, I never quite will because I detest their designs, but if the writing can straighten out, I can overlook the designs. I mean I don't like this style one bit but Higurashi had me fall in love with those kids and root for their freedom from fate because the writing was just that good.

Those are fair criticisms, I'd say. The Kotomi arc didn't really hit it home for me, and I completely agree with you on the fact that the scene of the travelling suitcase kinda lays it on too thick.

But as we've all been saying, After Story is where it's at. It gets much better as it progresses and the second half of After Story is just...beautiful.

I think the real crossing of the line was showing me that suitcase and the numerous languages spoken. Like, all they had to say was "think of how far this has come to reach her!" and I'd've been good. But like, showing the suitcase bounce from Brazil to Russia to Germany like some kind of Indiana Jones artifact felt waaaay too much.

Did some major change occur between Clannad and After Story, though? Like, I often tell people that Fumoffu and The Second Raid are better than the original Full Metal Panic! because the transition from Gonzo to KyoAni vastly improved presentation and let the source material shine through, so I just wanted to know if something like that went down.

There was this big emotional scene in this episode where Kotomi finally comes down to talk to Okazaki after he's cleaned her yard up, and she does that thing anime girls do where they sorta like cry and then their face like, thrusts forward or something, except rather than it looking like a laugh where she's like "sniff, heh" it looks like her face has been expanded and it's just really bad and I couldn't help but laugh at it.

I really do not like KEY's character designs. Like, I was no fan of Hyouka's, but Hyouka's character designs are fucking beautiful compared to the ones in this show. That said, I'll take Clannad's character designs over Melody of Oblivion's any day. Melody of Oblivion has THE WORST ANIME CHARACTER DESIGNS I have ever seen.

Speaking of weird anime character designs, whatever happened to Nobunaga the Fool? I lost interest in it part way through because finals and the list and a million things piled up, but that show had some great wackiness to it. Such a shame I couldn't get more into that show.

Yeap, that's basically Keyshit.

I think Clannad is the second KEY show I've ever seen. Assuming Yami was also KEY. And maybe School Days? I had assumed those two were exceptions, not rules. What did KEY do to earn this reputation of crazy plots?

Inferior auau. Hanyuu is the one true auau.

On the bright side, you're past the worst arc! It's all uphill from here!

I know you mean that the show is going to go higher in quality but all I can think of is "uphill battle" meaning it's going to be a yet more arduous climb.

jman2050

Clannad 14

So here's what I think: The show's heart is clearly in the right place. They want to tell a heart-warming, feel good story of a boy who helps out everybody while neglecting the hurt he himself is hiding, and that's admirable. I don't particularly care for the character designs and I find the voice direction annoying, but I get it, and I can't well hate on a show that wants to do a good thing.

But here is where a problem really arises. They lay it on way, way too thick. There's no subtlety to anything in Clannad, and that lack of subtlety murders the natural merit of the story, going from something heart-warming and heart-felt to something that feels like a Hallmark Channel production intent upon smothering me into feeling love for it.

Welcome to KEYshit, enjoy your stay.

Though to be honest Clannad isn't nearly as bad about this as it can be. Well no, in the Kotomi arc it is but I mean more later on.

This Kotomi arc is the perfect illustration of that problem. At it's root it is perfectly acceptable. Disregarding my disdain for Kotomi's idiot savant nature and the toxic-saccharine voice that Okazaki's harem all share, it's a story about a girl whose parents died a horrible, tragic death and how that frightened her into hiding for the rest of her life, and how a guy does nice things for her without any thought of reward beyond her well being. If that's a bit Sunday School, that's okay because that's sort of what they're going for here anyway.

The problem, though, is the need to add to that. Okazaki doesn't need to have this shared past with Kotomi at all. It adds a motive, I suppose, in the vein of "I want to atone for a mistake I made back then" but then the way it all lines up with her birthdays is entirely too convenient, and the atonement feels forced when you factor in that Okazaki didn't even remember this when he met her anew, and that we know he's completely capable of helping people without such motivations. It almost detracts from his character. In addition to the dates lining up perfectly "oh they died on her birthday which is also the day nobody came to her party which is also the day when we finally get her her presents!" I feel that the suitcase is just really, really pushing it.

The reason there's a shared past is because it was like that in the VN and it was like that in the VN because Kotomi was the definitive love interest in her own arc. Not that that helps any but I'm just saying.

Not in and of itself, mind you. A suitcase with a teddie bear from mom and dad is just fine. The arc takes the time to establish that Don Creeperton is an old friend of Mr. Ichinose, and that he wants to contact Kotomi already, and simplicity dictates that he ought to have had this teddie since the arc began and is trying to get it to her for that reason. The long scene of the teddie bear traveling through every country and every language to Kotomi is just way, way too much. I could hear Wilford Brimley calling my name, there was so much unnecessary sugar at that moment.

Ha, this was very close to my exact reaction to the ending.

You had a good thing going, but you had to go a little too far, press a few too many buttons, go a little too deep into the well of obvious transparent emotional manipulation and now I don't care anymore.

But I digress. The point is, while I appreciate that this show has its heart in the right place, it needs to learn to exercise self-control. There was just way too much fat in this arc that wasn't necessary and that cheapened the emotional meat of the plot.

See note re: KEYshit above, though this is a more succinct summation.

No Game No Life - 9

Okay, that was pretty amazing. The strategy used to gain trust
by planting your memories and thoughts into another
was brilliant. One thing that is bothering me is
I'm not sure why having your memories taken from you causes everyone else's memories to be altered to forget about you.

Overall a really strong episode. Shiro figure purchase justified. :3

No Game No Life 9
I enjoyed the episode, It felt a little faster paced, but they did a good job adapting the mini-arc. I felt the scene at the end did a good job in making the characters seem human as they brought out and played on their weaknesses instead of having them be completely unfazed by when just went down.

LN Talk:
I was surprised they managed to get through this arc in 1 episode. All while I was reading it, It seemed like it would have taken 2 episodes at maximum. They cut out and changed a few things, but to be fair, apart from Sora testing the Laws to see how far they go (It was 3-4 pages long and serves to explain some future events better) everything they was was pretty minor details -Jibril going to the Eastern Confederacy to confirm Sora's existance, the game Shiro played being on a tablet instead of a chess board, Shiro asking her questions through the tablet and Steph being vocally burned by Shiro (it was hilarious). On the bright side though, since we have an extra episode to really bring out the last arc, its sure to be extra awesome.
Haven't seen the episode yet , but i think those changes are necessary to cram the rest of the arc in the required number of episodes
( izuna fight should be 2 eps )

But yeah the last arc is going to be awesome.

Dog Days' 01

So yeah I must post impressions for this don't I? It's another season of Dog Days. Only this time it's mofuer than ever. And thank fuwa jesus for that.
All that brushing. And petting. And Yukikaze life.
Éclair remains the best however. Though this show really is heavenly to be frank.
These wardrobe malfunctions though *NSFW*
I don't think I'll survive this.
The god of fuwa fuwa hasn't given you enough , get ready for the rest.

nyotengu02h9o9w.gif

So uh, when are we getting a DOA anime, guise?

Is that the new dlc ? my interest is picked.
EDIT : Just saw the trailer , the upgrade tengu needed.

jman2050

Did some major change occur between Clannad and After Story, though? Like, I often tell people that Fumoffu and The Second Raid are better than the original Full Metal Panic! because the transition from Gonzo to KyoAni vastly improved presentation and let the source material shine through, so I just wanted to know if something like that went down.

So Clannad as a VN is essentially split into two portions. The first half is your typical complicated branching Choose-Your-Own-Waifu ordeal (it was better than I thought it was going to be, to be fair) and this corresponds with the first season of Clannad which clumsily tries to integrate a bunch of disparate routes into one story with iffy success. Typical VN-to-Anime adaptation difficulties.

The second portion is, for the most part, a single progressing story with various branch points for reasons. This corresponds with the second season of the Clannad anime, After Story, though the anime does add a couple of story arcs from the first portion that weren't covered in season 1 to fill out the 24-25(?) episode count. Nothing really changed between both seasons except that After Story is actually good and KyoAni had a more focused narrative to adapt from.

I think Clannad is the second KEY show I've ever seen. Assuming Yami was also KEY. And maybe School Days? I had assumed those two were exceptions, not rules. What did KEY do to earn this reputation of crazy plots?

Yami was based off a VN that had a completely different story and the School Days VN is 0verflow (do not look up their games if you value your sanity). This is evidently your first exposure to KEY VN/Jun Maeda anime adaptations which is good because it's only downhill from here.

Midonin

Dai Shogun 09

Susanoo has
finally gone SkullGreymon.
The love story will they-or-won't-they wasn't too bad, and was a nice break from the previous weeks. The show's tone still feels kinda loopy in places. So, it's progressing about to what one would expect.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

My reason:

> Funny reference joke (all that Jojo joke!)
> 10 delicious Ham everytime Sora open his mouth

I have to agree though, the fanservice is a bit to excessive, and the 1st ep. is really weak when compared to ep 2 and 3. i still think this one of the better LN adaptation for this season.

CorvoSol

So Clannad as a VN is essentially split into two portions. The first half is your typical complicated branching Choose-Your-Own-Waifu ordeal (it was better than I thought it was going to be, to be fair) and this corresponds with the first season of Clannad which clumsily tries to integrate a bunch of disparate routes into one story with iffy success. Typical VN-to-Anime adaptation difficulties.

The second portion is, for the most part, a single progressing story with various branch points for reasons. This corresponds with the second season of the Clannad anime, After Story, though the anime does add a couple of story arcs from the first portion that weren't covered in season 1 to fill out the 24-25(?) episode count. Nothing really changed between both seasons except that After Story is actually good and KyoAni had a more focused narrative to adapt from.

Yami was based off a VN that had a completely different story and the School Days VN is 0verflow (do not look up their games if you value your sanity). This is evidently your first exposure to KEY VN/Jun Maeda anime adaptations which is good because it's only downhill from here.

On this note, I sort of feel like Clannad would be better if it were just one arc about Okazaki doing a nice thing, because there is potential there to make one good, moving story out of most of these arcs. I see that they want to do a story about him doing lots of good things, though, and I cannot blame them for it.

What I'm having difficulty in is where, exactly, the difference is between Okazaki in Clannad, Yu Narukami in Persona 4 and Araragi in Bakemonogatari. All three are stories about a young man who slowly comes out of his shell by immersing himself in the problems of others and helping them solve said problems. There's just as much teasing that Narukami and Araragi are great with Kanji/Yosuke/Yukiko/Chie/Senjougahara/Hanekawa/etcetcetc as there is with Okazaki and all his girls of the arc. The obvious difference is that Narukami has a sword and is fighting psychic tv monsters and that Araragi is fighting Scooby Doo monsters, while Okazaki is mostly just a dude of mostly normal proportions.

It's sort of hard for me to define why I am completely enamored of the two and not the one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom