• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Not entirely loli-free, but none really play a role.

It's interesting, but not amazing or anything on the plot/character side of things. Some guy gets turned into this vampire-like thing that eats humans, but is reluctant to do so because he once was one and stuff. It's kind of like Shiki where there's a whole morality theme regarding humans eating meat, so should ghouls be allowed to eat humans or not.

Then it goes full-on action.

Are these like actually interesting philosophical questions/debates or is it the standard anime, hamfisted "I just took my first philosophy course and now I will talk/act like no rational adult person and take inflexible, childish positions whilst spouting a bunch of buzzwords" :/

How long is this manga BTW? Ongoing? I this like a OP (but senien of course) type of series or more like a Death Note (with a clear end goal within the next year/few years)?

No Game No Life - 09

These fucking I feels, I CAN'T HANDLE IT, BLAhgduiagkadgak!

But seriously an enjoyable episode. I honestly thought Sora challenged
the Warbeasts instead of the girl and her elf partner with how the screen was fuzzing out last episode as if in a video game.
The twist from that shook me, in a good way.

Did some major change occur between Clannad and After Story, though? Like, I often tell people that Fumoffu and The Second Raid are better than the original Full Metal Panic! because the transition from Gonzo to KyoAni vastly improved presentation and let the source material shine through, so I just wanted to know if something like that went down.

Not necessarily. After Story starts off fairly similar to Clannad, but what really sells it is the direction the story takes later down the line. It does things that really set it apart from what it started as and goes really far with it.

So far that it's very hard for me to try and get into any other anime with a similar premise involving an ordinary guy in a high school.

Are these like actually interesting philosophical questions/debates or is it the standard anime, hamfisted "I just took my first philosophy course and now I will talk/act like no rational adult person and take inflexible, childish positions whilst spouting a bunch of buzzwords" :/

How long is this manga BTW? Ongoing? I this like a OP (but senien of course) type of series or more like a Death Note (with a clear end goal within the next year/few years)?

Ongoing, and as far as I know, not an end in sight. The translations are behind, so I couldn't say for sure.

As for philosophical stuff, it seems kind of "incomplete" to me. Like, the author was probably going for something with the whole morality question, but it seems like he keeps flip flopping on his stance at first before outright abandoning the question in favor of more action, at least at the moment. It may change later, because there are definitely still opposing factions that aren't morally black or anything with some just looking out for their own species. I doubt the anime would get that far though unless it's multi-cour.

duckroll

Chaika - Episode 9

5XRI8KW.jpg

Another lighter episode before shit hits the fan for the first season climax. This time we learn a bit more about what drives magic in the world, Toru and Akari's past, and more slight developments for Gillet's team. The next three episodes should be a ton of fun, and hopefully have some pretty solid action. Too bad we'll have to wait until October for the rest of the series after that though!

Midonin

If Her Flag Breaks 09

I've never put that much stock into Hiroki Azuma's theories, but watching a series like this makes me consider that perhaps they might have a bit of merit. The very foundation of the series relies on the viewer being familiar with all the archetypes being presented, before sweeping them into some larger, vaguely Dragon Quest-y overplot about the very nature of stories themselves. Is Souta's realization of the similarities proof that maybe this was his past life? Or is it just a huge coincidence? Everyone, including Hakua, continues to be cute, but what the series is doing with this visual-even-though-it's-a-light novel story has me intrigued. Everyone fits into their roles neatly, but the story itself is suggesting that they were intentionally meant to play those roles.

In that regard, perhaps it's more like Kaminomi than NouCome.

Blusby

It's certainly not pretentious if that's what you mean, really just read it. Anyone in the MC's position (that isn't a sociopath) would take a similar stance to his. It's not a heavy series, I'll say that much.

No Game No Life 09

Pretty good episode. Liked that scene at the end a lot.

And it seems like more people are joining up with the group. And by people I mean girls top jump on that NEET D.

No Game No Life continues to be a mainstay on the LN charts (for the last week)
7. 11,491 108,717 No Game No Life Vol.1
8. 10,934 101,213 No Game No Life Vol.2
3. 13,550 96,221 No Game No Life Vol.3
10. 10,762 89,478 No Game No Life Vol.4
13. 10,163 101,270 No Game No Life Vol.5
9. 10,836 90,324 No Game No Life Vol.6

Blusby

Excellent, looks like an S2 may even be likely.

Chaika 09

Toru and Akari flashbacks, kid Akari is pretty hilarious.

It seems like after two side episodes, the story will go back on track in the next one when they go to Howl's Moving Castle.
I hope new Chaikas show up.

Yes ..i'm very happy

Is there even enough material?

Yes there is enough for a S2. It's barely enough but you can make another 12 eps with the amount of material we already have.
It would end on the most painfull cliffangher ever but it's doable.

cnet128

Banned
No Game No Life 9

My head is still trying to wrap itself around what actually happened in that game, but I'll be damned if this episode wasn't gripping on an emotional level.

Now let's go get us some animal girls!

cajunator

Banned
No Game No Life 9: I want a Shiro figurine. I wish I can go back to Japan. :(

Ehehehehee

Dog Days' 01

So yeah I must post impressions for this don't I? It's another season of Dog Days. Only this time it's mofuer than ever. And thank fuwa jesus for that.
All that brushing. And petting. And Yukikaze life.
Éclair remains the best however. Though this show really is heavenly to be frank.
These wardrobe malfunctions though *NSFW*
I don't think I'll survive this.

You might not. Its amazingly fuwafantastic. Love it so much.

Inferior auau. Hanyuu is the one true auau.

On the bright side, you're past the worst arc! It's all uphill from here!

Rikka is my favorite au~ sorries.

cnet128

Banned
Hitsugi no Chaika 9

Uneventful episode. Flashbacks were decent. Chaika is adorable as usual. Gilette's continued obliviousness to Vivi's feelings is somewhat facepalmworthy but also sweet.

Hoping for things to start happening in earnest again next week. Should be fun.

Midonin

Demonbane 07-09

What the fhtagn? The Big C standing for Cthulu was obvious, but
for a guy touted as being so powerful that it takes a robot just to take him on at normal strength, Therion went down(?) a lot quicker than I expected, leaving the mid-bosses to take over.
That ball of Cthulu is still hovering over the city, so perhaps he'll come back for the finale. No way is that sort of anticlimax going to take place.

These past few episodes
without Al
have been alright, and showing Kuro winning as himself, without his alter ego. It's kind of a nice change of pace. Like I said, a hero must fall before he can rise. Even depowered, Demonbane is still fairly powerful, and a lot of that has to do with
Doc West's defection to the good side. He was more into showboating than evil, anyway, and I'm glad to have him here to continue to provide comic relief rather than being killed off when the show enters its endgame. Trying up a maid is kinda sketchy, though.

I'd never call it great, and it's not a particularly old one if CR has it, but it has rekindled my interest in Nitro+ back catalog. Especially since the primary writer of the visual novel is working on the Gaim movie this summer.

Fate/Zero S2 9
Yup. We are approaching the end. Kirei is the biggest ass of the show. Waver acting like a girl at the end. And
Iris being killed
. :/

Gonna start getting action packed here very soon. :)

Stulaw

Chaika 1-9
I quite like this, it's pretty interesting, the fact that both Chaika so far speak broken Japanese and have fuzzy memories make me feel like there may have been one Chaika split into different ones with different ideals.

Also, didn't the fortune cookie Vivi had in episode 9
pretty much set up a death flag
?

No Game No Life is a okay show,but when it aired at the same season with Mahouka,most people would feel NGNL is a great show thanks to Mahouka is so shit

CorvoSol

Captain Earth 8

On the one hand, I don't know how I feel about this show's writing. Like, the terms only really make sense if I put them in the context of Star Driver, but they're sort of obtuse and the show would be better without them, and while it hasn't really done much to offend, I feel like it hasn't really done much to make itself truly worth my time since the first few episodes.

On the other hand, it is definitely a nice show to look at, even if I don't particularly care for the character designs, and I think Daikichi is a very easy going, enjoyable protagonist. The show has potential, and I want it to be great, but I think it just hasn't really hit its stride yet. I kind of agree with whoever said the first 8 episodes would've been better as the first 4 episodes instead. Still, since it and JoJo's are the only ongoings I've got at the moment, I'll stick with it for now.

No Game No Life 9
Really interesting episode. The game had a pretty good twist
Sort of funny how they were making the scene like a kiss and then turned it into crying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom