• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Yes, that part is terrible.

I am morbidly curious about how you'll react to the shit they'll pull later on.

I have no idea how you feel about spoilers--hinted at or otherwise--so I'll stop here.

People being morbidly curious about how I'm gonna react to stuff is never a good portent.

That's just how visual novel adaptations are. It's hard to make an adaptation that'll go through every route and have everything continue on. They still do a pretty good job of it though, imo. Regardless, they can't just add filler to the story to make him hang out with past girls to make things cohesive while needing to tell the rest of the story. Even the anime couldn't fit every route.

And the writer, Maeda's, humor can be hit or miss at times. Clannad's grew on me as it went on. Some of this stuff like Angel Beats was a miss on humor for me while Little Buster's humor was a hit.

See, the funny thing is all that they had to do here was nothing. I mean,
Fuko had effectively died and been forgotten by the heroes and it was tragic and moving even if it happened at a point where she could let go happily. Bringing her back for throwaway gags doesn't make sense and cheapens the impact her "death" had on the show.
So in this one instance, doing nothing would've been better than doing anything. As to
Okazaki subsequently ignoring Kotomi I'm willing to accept that now that their Social Link is maxed he has to find new ones because he's trying to get 'em all before the final boss.

sonicmj1

One Week Friends 7

Man, Hase's getting frustrating. His desire to be the center of Fujimiya's attention, combined with his phobia of giving any kind of impression that he has romantic feelings for her, is unfair to both of them. Get your shit together.

ibbWM3q8dfhnaB.jpg
ibgmhfv3JY05Ki.jpg

At least Shogo was dropping truth bombs all over the place in this episode. Someone's gotta tell it like it is.

Dresden

See, the funny thing is all that they had to do here was nothing.

The thing to remember about Key is that letting things be--letting tragedy stand on its own--is the one thing they can't do.

You're going to get punched in the gut with more bullshit on a far greater scale.

fertygo

Jun Maeda don't know shit about subtlety, for him humor must had yelling or smacking, and drama is all about crying and tragedy.

No game no life - 09

It was an excellent episode .... Even if i don't like some of those changes in the overall details of the game and how they solved it.
In the end it was a freaking intense episode so it's " alright "

Kudos for steph showing the clues , kudos to jibril overall , BIG kudos to shiro... Good Girl.

They better cram some of the missing things in next week episode so i could enjoy the glorious calm before the storm before the AWESOME FINALE

Rhapsody

Banned
The thing to remember about Key is that letting things be--letting tragedy stand on its own--is the one thing they can't do.

You're going to get punched in the gut with more bullshit on a far greater scale.
Biggest offender being Tomoyo After.

I like Key and Maeda, but that ending...

Sword Art Online fin

Wow this turned out to be pretty shit. The first 2 episodes were good, setting up the premise of the show. After that, you're just expecting an epic action adventure anime set in the world of MMOs, sounds good right. It couldn't turn any more worse. As the show goes on it continues to introduce irrelevant characters, pointless filler episodes with cheap drama and romance. When the show actually feels like progressing, it jumps a lightyear ahead carrying the garbage introduced in the filler episodes. Then the 1st arc abruptly ends. I shan't talk about the plot of the 2nd arc because it was too stupid. Also this show is HAREM, do no watch if you hate that shit. If that wasn't bad enough, the animators' unnecesarry and exceptional level of detail to the portrayal of the girls' round features was fucking cringeworthy. They went the extra mile to bring out those ass shots and bouncing boob close ups. Is this the standard in anime now? I know these type of things have their place in anime, in certain genres and I regularly hear about them in some games but is this shit finding it's way into shonen anime now?

And the silly "mama&papa" lmfao. Everything and everyone feels so generic, there is no character progression, why are so many anime heroes and heroines so generic, they all act the same. Why can't they let these tropes die and branch out.

TOO BAD, this had so much potential. MMO's, VR, boss fights, epic adventures, it sounded so good. I will now check out Log Horizon, how is that?

Rhapsody

Banned
Sword Art Online fin

Wow this turned out to be pretty shit. The first 2 episodes were good, setting up the premise of the show. After that, you're just expecting an epic action adventure anime set in the world of MMOs, sounds good right. It couldn't turn any more worse. As the show goes on it continues to introduce irrelevant characters, pointless filler episodes with cheap drama and romance. When the show actually feels like progressing, it jumps a lightyear ahead carrying the garbage introduced in the filler episodes. Then the 1st arc abruptly ends. I shan't talk about the plot of the 2nd arc because it was too stupid. Also this show is HAREM, do no watch if you hate that shit. If that wasn't bad enough, the animators' unnecesarry and exceptional level of detail to the portrayal of the girls' round features was fucking cringeworthy. They went the extra mile to bring out those ass shots and bouncing boob close ups. Is this the standard in anime now? I know these type of things have their place in anime, in certain genres and I regularly hear about them in some games but is this shit finding it's way into shonen anime now?

And the silly "mama&papa" lmfao. Everything and everyone feels so generic, there is no character progression, why are so many anime heroes and heroines so generic, they all act the same. Why can't they let these tropes die and branch out.

TOO BAD, this had so much potential. MMO's, VR, boss fights, epic adventures, it sounded so good. I will now check out Log Horizon, how is that?
Log Horizon is much better. As for SAO, it would've been best to read the light novels.

Fairy Dance arc is still bad though regardless of the format.

cajunator

Banned
Sword Art Online fin

Exactly the bolded. We should have known better but expectations were a bit high that the show would deliver some kind of interesting story behind the game creator and his motives and why he put characters through this and his ultimate downfall. what we got instead was some stupid self insertion fucking batman fantasy. Fuck this show so hard.

Log Horizon isnt perfect but it gives you much much more of what you seek.

Rhapsody

Banned
Despite being on the latest arc in the SAO light novels, I'm still stuck on the 3rd to last episode or so in the anime lol

I did like the first episode of the anime, but it fell apart with the 2nd episode imo (too much stuff was cut).
I would've liked them to just spend the whole series on the first arc.

Log Horizon is much better. As for SAO, it would've been best to read the light novels.

Fairy Dance arc is still bad though regardless of the format.

I heard it's more serious with no cheap romance. But what about the drama, does Log Horizon have cheap drama?

Dawg, what you described IS shounen, down to the core.

The ones I watch (Ippo, Kuroko, Gintama, FMA, One Piece) don't have that shit. Though OP does have exceptional sizes of boobs, it's not something the animators focus on the entire time, don't force it in your face so it doesn't get in the way. in SAO it gets in the way. I wish I recorded it, there are several moments of conversing characters where we stare at a girl's ass.

BLack bullet - 09

A nice "calm before the storm" episode , introducing some new faces and a cat loli ..

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE ?

Nevermind the result is great.

Calling it , the big ranked 275 dude killed the nameless guy.

Exactly the bolded. We should have known better but expectations were a bit high that the show would deliver some kind of interesting story behind the game creator and his motives and why he put characters through this and his ultimate downfall. what we got instead was some stupid self insertion fucking batman fantasy. Fuck this show so hard.

Log Horizon isnt perfect but it gives you much much more of what you seek.

Will season 2 be better? Any word from the director of change of direction? Or continue this crazy fantasy?

Despite being on the latest arc in the SAO light novels, I'm still stuck on the 3rd to last episode or so in the anime lol

I did like the first episode of the anime, but it fell apart with the 2nd episode imo (too much stuff was cut).

That's what i say very often , the anime didn't do a great job given what information they had on at the time.
I like the franchise but i always say that they didn't do a great job with it on some points.
All those characters ? they should have expanded on them.Not run the books like crazy. Heck even some filler stuff during all those floors was possible. And we knew already about The stuff like floor 25 & floor 50 that they didn't adapt at all.

On the criticism that SAo should have been only the aincrad arc for 25 eps i certainly agree.

phaze

オール・ユー・ニード・イズ・キル

Not bad. Relatively inoffensive for a Tom Cruise movie, and it was entertaining watching him die over and over. Not a particularly outstanding or unique film though. Pretty by the books, with unimaginative designs for the equipment and the aliens. The humor is pretty good though. Googling the synopsis for the original book tells me that the story there was much more interesting than the Hollywood action movie it became. Oh well.

I found it laughable how they
they managed to fly straight to Paris in a dropship without getting intercepted by either side.

Naruto Shippuden 364

Poor
Neji's fate was to job throughout the series.

Are the light novels much better?

SAO never established a firm direction and cohesive narrative. It tries to sell itself as a mmo anime but masks it true nature: being a nauseating soap opera.

Hopeless situation

*insert deus ex machina and upbeat heroic music*

"Asuna!"

"kirito!"

"mama, papa!"

entire show, applies to every fight

sword_art_online_05_4psu4v.png

Rhapsody

Banned
Are the light novels much better?

I find it better, personally. The pacing within each story/chapter is done better. A lot more description on how the world works which might be a turn off to some. The problem is that the drama and deus ex machina stuff still exists. I just found the novels much more fun to read while the anime didn't create scenes how I had imagined them to be.

I don't know about suggesting someone to read it though just to see if they'd like it more though. The LN isn't a masterpiece, but it was pretty enjoyable for me when I first read it.

So.. you gonna watch the S2 right?

I find it better, personally. The pacing within each story/chapter is done better. A lot more description on how the world works which might be a turn off to some. The problem is that the drama and deus ex machina stuff still exists. I just found the novels much more fun to read while the anime didn't create scenes how I had imagined them to be.

Thanks. I dont think I'll read, since S2 is about to start, I'll just watch that, knowing full well it might be shit like S1. For completion's sake, I just watch them all, sometimes shows do turn out for the better later on.

I get really violent when discussing best waifus for the Witcher series. When people don't agree with me I lose control.

I then realized how people are like that in this thread all the time. I looked at myself in the mirror and started drinking vodka straight out of the bottle.

Fuck the pain away. You've changed Woofdawg.

Superflat

I get really violent when discussing best waifus for the Witcher series. When people don't agree with me I lose control.

I then realized how people are like that in this thread all the time. I looked at myself in the mirror and started drinking vodka straight out of the bottle.

Fuck the pain away. You've changed Woofdawg.

At least you're drinking vodka the correct way now. There are silver linings in everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom