• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the light novels much better?
Yeah for the simple fact that it explain much better some stuff and the circustances behind them ( something the anime barely do ) witch help a lot of scenes. There is in particular a much better focus on why the characters behave the way they do through world building , again something the anime doesn't even try to do.
I find it better, personally. The pacing within each story/chapter is done better. A lot more description on how the world works which might be a turn off to some. The problem is that the drama and deus ex machina stuff still exists. I just found the novels much more fun to read while the anime didn't create scenes how I had imagined them to be.

I don't know about suggesting someone to read it though just to see if they'd like it more though. The LN isn't a masterpiece, but it was pretty enjoyable for me when I first read it.
Exactly while not a masterpiece , the Ln are much better constructed than anyone would think after seeing the anime.
Thanks. I dont think I'll read, since S2 is about to start, I'll just watch that, knowing full well it might be shit like S1. For completion's sake, I just watch them all, sometimes shows do turn out for the better later on.

S2 will have a different focus than the last part of S1
It's going to be silly , full of misunderstandings but i honnestly believe that it 'll be much better than the last part of "alfheim" that they butchered in the anime.

CorvoSol

SAO never established a firm direction and cohesive narrative. It tries to sell itself as a mmo anime but masks it true nature: being a nauseating soap opera.

HEY. YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW, MISTER!

It's demeaning to soap operas to compare them to SAO!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Akuma no Riddle Episode 10:

I think Akuma No Riddle wanted me to take it seriously at one point but boy howdy did that ship sail with this episode.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
HeartCatch Precure 30

What looked to be a boring episode was saved by Yuri showing up and a really good fight scene.

I have a feeling
Cure Moonlight
's return isn't far off.

It wasn't THAT bad when it started man, I mean you're coming in with negative bias so I can see how one could be nitpicky.

Another why the negative bias is sometimes too much.

----------------------------
Seikoku no dragonar - 09

Woooow those were some perverted tentacles !

Oh and those fights were kinda cool.
I like the idea of customisable knight outflits so this one was quite nice.

Next episode is going to be some serious plot driven adventure .... no who am i kidding , i can't wait to see next episode fanservice !

cajunator

Banned
I-is this Black Bullet? Do I need to watch Black Bullet?
iAbtw5e.gif

Actually I would contend that SAO was shit from the start.
There was NO excuse for those time skips.

Don't take this the wrong way but most times when I see you post about a show its something negative lol.
Another why the negative bias is sometimes too much.

Yeah people like to pretend the show was a huge offender of their intelligence at worst. Plenty of good anime started out bad. This hindsight judging is too much.

Yes it is.

cajunator

Banned
Don't take this the wrong way but most times when I see you post about a show its something negative lol.

Yeah people like to pretend the show was a huge offender of their intelligence at worst. Plenty of good anime started out bad. This hindsight judging is too much.

Yes it is.

Oh my gooooooood
I need to watch it asap

CorvoSol

To be fair I don't think I really came to hate SAO until it
decided that Asuna couldn't come and go as she pleased and needed Kirito to champion her even though she was supposed to be a badass swordswoman.
I mean, beater was stupid as fuck but it wasn't until that point that I soured, and it wasn't until halfway through the show that I truly began to hate it.

Yamato 13

Is it just me, or is this the second time Capn has gotten suddenly sick at the exact moment we need him to be healthy? Also, sometimes the physics of his show only make sense if I pretend that they're on the Ocean instead of in space. Other times I'm still sort of wondering how to respond to the sheer speed of the Yamato. Like, to my mind a warship should be big, slow, and heavily loaded. Starfighters are quick and more maneuverable, though their top speed doesn't match the top speed of a warship.

But the Yamato is like "Fuck you I have an evade rating of 85%, bitch."

cnet128

Banned
I figured you woulda seen this by now.

Precure takes priority over most things. One day when I am caught up with Precure I am going to watch tons of things and it will be great.

(Of course, right now, playing Fate/stay night is taking priority over Precure…)

Yes it is, and yes you do. That's not even the cutest girl in the show.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I don't know if i ever post this, but i legit enjoy SAO vol.1 LN, and enjoy the 1 and 2 episodes. The harem part and Yui arc turn me off from the show.
On the bright side, the show is damm popular in my country, that Lisa is invited to be guest star in Anime Festival Asia. and let me tell you, it's glorious, and i also got her sign my CD.

Yes, the SQUEEEE factor is high.

It wasn't THAT bad when it started man, I mean you're coming in with negative bias so I can see how one could be nitpicky.

Where I am in the show now, it's pretty much mediocre.

I tend to keep an open mind on things. Like Gundam 00. I've heard that was horrible, but I liked Season 1, and while I agree that Season 2 was bad, there were a few things that I was able to enjoy about it.

That reminds me, I still have to finish the movie -_-.

If I had to pick any positive things to say about SAO now, it's that the world is interesting, at least. They really try to really make it feel like an MMO as opposed to a fantasy world, with the parties, guilds, menus, markers that determine whether a player is good or not, and stuff.

I didn't mention this, but I kind of liked the murder-mystery mechanics in episode 5, and how the characters try to figure out how someone was able to abuse the system.

But Kirito is uninteresting because we see too much of him and what he can do. If Kirito was more of a powerful shadowy side-character and the main character was someone who was new to the game and was trying to adapt and learn, like Klein, then it would be more interesting.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 10:

Note to self, buy chai later on in the day. Anyway, yea, you know you are in for a special episode when the end credits are put out of the way with expedience.

cajunator

Banned
Precure takes priority over most things. One day when I am caught up with Precure I am going to watch tons of things and it will be great.

(Of course, right now, playing Fate/stay night is taking priority over Precure…)

Yes it is, and yes you do. That's not even the cutest girl in the show.

Excite

I don't know if i ever post this, but i legit enjoy SAO vol.1 LN, and enjoy the 1 and 2 episodes. The harem part and Yui arc turn me off from the show.
On the bright side, the show is damm popular in my country, that Lisa is invited to be guest star in Anime Festival Asia. and let me tell you, it's glorious, and i also got her sign my CD.

Yes, the SQUEEEE factor is high.

Noted.

Wait, you haven't been watching?!?!?!?!?

Had to catch up with Chaika and NGNL. Ive got a lot to catch up on.
Starting it soon!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
HeartCatch Precure 31

Two Yuri episodes in a row? IT'S HAPPENING, ISN'T IT?!

Also I'm skipping the OP, so I have to ask, how much longer until I should watch the movie? Isn't it like episode 36 or somewhere near that?

Seriously cajun

Your cute detector is not working at max power ..you should step-up your game!

----------------------
Akuma no riddle - 09

This arc will probably be the best part of the show.. i might be wrong but that cat and mouse game was very well done.The "plot devices" in this anime don't even bother me.

Great assassin got a very nice ED too , that was great.

If you enjoy loli's, which I'm thinking you do, then this is the show for you. I really liked Enjou, but a loli harem just makes me feel too perverted, probably not going to keep going.

Well half the casting is loli so , heck half of the universe of revelant characters are lolis.
Doesn't help that 100% of the not loli characters are in the harem as well.

------------------
Akuma no riddle - 10 ( 10 mins IN )
WHAT ?
It's not as worse as the days of "Animejunkies" but it's still pretty bad.

Tenumi

Banned
Im a bit bored at the moment.
Dont click this if you want to maintain an illusion of me as a cat penguin, cause this is what I really look like.
http://i.imgur.com/ggLz69b.jpg

...Actually, pretty much as I expected, no offense intended.

Rail Wars promo

A little bit lewd, a little bit trains. And one of the heroines is Maaya Uchida.

ToQGer is enough trains for me...

-----------------------------------

Soul Eater Not!: 08

So much for that drama inducing ending last episode.

Midonin

Date A Live II 09

Humans can become spirits? This is new. The show's been deliberatley vague on what spirits are - and I'm not exactly hungering for an explanation - but this does raise questions about the nature of the other girls.
I was always sympathetic to Miku, but that's also because I'm an M. Otherwise, the action continues as it has been. This isn't the first time
Shido's been killed
, but this does mean a character who's been in promo art and on the CD singles since before the show went live was being saved for the very end.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
HeartCatch Precure 32

Hey,
a new power-up
, cool. And
the "hot guy" was Coppe! Too bad I spoiled myself on that a while back, haha

Akuma no riddle - 10

The Plus :
-It's intresting
-That twist
-The SDburton vibes
-The ED animation

The Cons
-The second twist
-It's almost over
-Money can buy anything !!
-Money cannot make you a queen.

CorvoSol

Captain Earth 9

Man the writing in this show is so meh. The animation is great, the character designs are hit and miss and the writing is meh. Come on, give me something better than this! I'm begging you, Cap'n Earth. Please be a better show.

cnet128

Banned
HeartCatch Precure 31

Two Yuri episodes in a row? IT'S HAPPENING, ISN'T IT?!

Also I'm skipping the OP, so I have to ask, how much longer until I should watch the movie? Isn't it like episode 36 or somewhere near that?

Heretics who skip OPs or EDs don't deserve to know information ò_ó
after episode 37 or so should be fine

cnet128

Banned
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 10

Aw yiss, Hayashi-san is back! And that plotline is resolved in pretty much the best ways I could hope for on numerous levels! Approve greatly.

Also, the glorious return of Chinatsu, who is as wonderful as ever and even acts as a catalyst for relationship development. Hells yeah Chinatsu why you so awesome.

Nice episode all round.

Im a bit bored at the moment.
Dont click this if you want to maintain an illusion of me as a cat penguin, cause this is what I really look like.
http://i.imgur.com/ggLz69b.jpg
My immersion ruined.

I'll be meeting up with some gaf people in houston for the Sony theater conference so we might take a pic. And if I look devilishly handsome I'll post the picture here. If not no way my self esteem yo.

At least my internship is heavy physical labor I should feel good how I come out of this at the end of the summer.

cajunator

Banned
Seriously cajun

Your cute detector is not working at max power ..you should step-up your game!

----------------------
Akuma no riddle - 09

This arc will probably be the best part of the show.. i might be wrong but that cat and mouse game was very well done.The "plot devices" in this anime don't even bother me.

Great assassin got a very nice ED too , that was great.

oh it works. I knew Black Bullet was filled with cute but I just havent gotten to it. I knew there was a catgirl in it so thats why Im excited.

...Actually, pretty much as I expected, no offense intended.

ToQGer is enough trains for me...

-----------------------------------

Soul Eater Not!: 08

So much for that drama inducing ending last episode.

Hehee. I described myself before so I doubt anyone is surprised how I look.

Is that a Dunkin' Donuts shirt?

Nope. Its this one:
http://www.aaaanime.com/item/Apparel/AWTST1016.html

it originally came with the Genshiken artbox.

BLADE AND SOUL - 10

Ah AHH AH AH AH AH

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHHHHH

OH MY GOD

OH MY FREAKING GOD

It's black rock shooter TV !

So MUCH

SO

MUCH

SUFFERING

SO

MUCH

SUFFERING

I can't believe it.

Blade and Soul is going to be such a ride.

All that build-up , all those deaths , all this drama ...So much
So much suffering
Black rock shooter was ponney-land when you compare the two. I can't believe they did that ..such a boring yet plain as see build-up so when could go this route..this shouldn't be allowed..

This isn't a story of redemption, no this is the story of a girl that was denied emotions, only to gain them little by little so she could DESPAIR as much as possible when everyone and everything is doing their best to sh*t on everyone hapiness
There was maybe one character in this whole mess that doesn't fit in the description above and HE IS DEAD, why ? because he tried to act like a normal human being !

WHAT A MASTERPIECE OF STORY TELLING

I know you might not believe me ... but blade and soul since last week twist gained MASSIVE POINTS , such trolling is unfair , shouldn't be allowed.

JoJo: Stardust Crusaders 10

62686e426d.jpg

Starts off with one of my favorite Stardust Crusaders scenes - landing in the hectic India and Avdol just being like "YEP THIS IS INDIA ISN'T IT GREAT". And this is the first two-week fight too.

In fact, the India parts are probably some of my favorite of Part 3. Like there being
A PIG IN THE TOILET and Polnareffs tears.
AND HOL HORSE.

I was wondering how they were going to translate Polnareff's joke. It was alright, I guess.
Seems like they didn't feel the need to censor that snake getting killed.

GOD I LOVE HOL HORSE SO MUCH. Easily best episode so far.

STEEL BALL RUN WHEN?!

Not soon enough. Since it's so long, I could go for OVA's or Movies.

Midonin

Riddle Story of Devil 10

After having
an immortal in one episode, a cyborg doesn't feel like that much more of a stretch. The question is if I should go for $6M Man or Kamen Rider. Also, Haru scoring the win instead of Tokaku was an interesting development for the show. She's been the observer, the befriender this whole time, and took this huge step foward.... and off the roof.
Oh, and the dolls at the tea party were kinda creepy, that goes without saying.

cnet128

Banned
Akuma no Riddle 10

That was some pretty nice action. Though
how Haru managed to pull off that victory is beyond me. With the strength she displayed, cyborg girl should surely have been able to slaughter her the second she got close, even with one arm conveniently tied up.

...I have no idea why I'm even using spoiler tags after Midonin's post just outlined the whole episode, though. I'm glad I watched it before reading that.

DATE A LIVE S2 - 09
This episode would have been 100000 times better if there wasn't so many cuts missing from the animation.

If that wasn't the problem it was the :wonzo and the re-used frames !

In terms of animation this was maybe the WORST episode of date a live EVER... they better correct this for the blu-rays.

jgminto

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 10
That was probably my favourite version of the Emperor/Hanged Man fight so far. I liked the addition of time to Polnareff's search, it really added to his emotions and frustrations and that scene with him sitting against the window was a beautiful shot. Glad they didn't go with the first person asked knowing where he was. The only part of the episode that I wasn't totally happy with was Hol Horse's voice. It wasn't as distinct as his ASB VA. A lot of the time he sounded pretty regular but he did have some nice flairs here and there, it isn't a big complaint though. I still really enjoyed the episode, Emperor and Hanged Man taking out the snake was amazing and
Polnareff's iconic thumbs up can still totally bring me to tears.
Excited for next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom