• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Heretics who skip OPs or EDs don't deserve to know information ò_ó
after episode 37 or so should be fine

To be clear, I just don't care for the OP. I've never been a huge fan of OPs that say the title of the show in the song. It's why I can listen to Kamen Rider OPs all day long, except Kuuga and Agito (even though Agito's is by Shinichi Ishihara, who is goddamn amazing).

HeartCatch has amazing EDs, though, and I listen to them almost every time.

-----

HeartCatch Precure 33

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

cnet128

Banned

cxVLgQW.jpg
?

To be clear, I just don't care for the OP. I've never been a huge fan of OPs that say the title of the show in the song. It's why I can listen to Kamen Rider OPs all day long, except Kuuga and Agito (even though Agito's is by Shinichi Ishihara, who is goddamn amazing).

HeartCatch has amazing EDs, though, and I listen to them almost every time.

Whew, you like Heartcatch Paradise. That means I can almost forgive you.

Mononoke

Banned
Oi, I just started Bakemonogatari. Mostly because I keep being told by others to watch it. I'll admit, I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I really loved the animation, and how bizarre the dialogue/story beats are. It just feels different (at least to me, who is someone that has only been into anime for close to a year and a half now).

I kind of wish there wasn't romance in it though (I know, I went in blind not knowing what this had). Becauuuuuse,
I ended up feeling really bad for Hanekawa. I really wish they wouldn't have done that plot at all. Now it's making me feel bad. :(

I got a pretty weak stomach for that stuff I suppose (been traumatized by my time in the romance genre. Thanks School Days, White Album 2 and other anime that made me feel shitty). I know the show isn't define by that, so whatever. I guess my question is, I've seen all of Bakemonogatari. I know the other series to watch in order, but...are they worth watching? Has it been pretty good overall, or did it drop in quality?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
HeartCatch Precure 34

Now that was a goddamn good episode. Like 80% fight scenes, and SUPER well-animated ones at that. Wasn't expecting that out of Toei. Also
Cure Moonlight is amazing holy fuck

Finally caught up...

Love Live! S2 - 09

Yay for super contrived drama! Fucking love how Honoka with the rest of the trio battled against the snowstorm that looked like a hurricane and at the top of stairs leading into the school everything is suddenly calm! Nevermind the roads were cleared out via the school body, I can believe that, but what was the fucking purpose of showing that intense snowstorm? Hell couldn't the dad in traffic pick up the trio since the snowstorm suddenly stopped?

As for the song, when I read the first reaction to it people stated it was held up as the emotional climatic song in the series (of both seasons maybe), similar to iM@S's 'Yakusoku'. Granted it was enjoyable to listen to, it was nowhere near the comparison I just listed so I was a little bit let down again. So yeah, give me moar A-Rise please.

Tenumi

Banned
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - 10

Well, things certainly didn't go the way I expected.
This being my first view of the particular story, I can't say I was surprised about what happened this episode, but rather that it's happened so early rather.

Dynedom

Puchimasu!! Petit Petit Idolmaster - 55

Thank god for that ending. Thought this was going the way of a certain Squid Girl episode...

CorvoSol

Getter Robo G 32

LOL. Doc Saotome once took Genki, threw him out into the mud in the middle of a rainstorm and then locked the door. All this under the pretense of making him face his fears. "Parenting"! Doc Saotome is the coldest mofo around.

Mononoke

Banned
You mean art style, not animation :p

Yes that, I'm terrible when it comes to technical terms. Although art style and animation isn't that hard to distinguish between (was a stupid slip up). Basically, I'm just curious if the series stays more towards the supernatural than the relationship stuff. Maybe I'm watching the wrong series lol =/

cnet128

Banned
Oi, I just started Bakemonogatari. Mostly because I keep being told by others to watch it. I'll admit, I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I really loved the animation, and how bizarre the dialogue/story beats are. It just feels different (at least to me, who is someone that has only been into anime for close to a year and a half now).

I kind of wish there wasn't romance in it though (I know, I went in blind not knowing what this had). Becauuuuuse,
I ended up feeling really bad for Hanekawa. I really wish they wouldn't have done that plot at all. Now it's making me feel bad. :(

I got a pretty weak stomach for that stuff I suppose (been traumatized by my time in the romance genre. Thanks School Days, White Album 2 and other anime that made me feel shitty). I know the show isn't define by that, so whatever. I guess my question is, I've seen all of Bakemonogatari. I know the other series to watch in order, but...are they worth watching? Has it been pretty good overall, or did it drop in quality?

Some people will say Bakemonogatari is the high point of the series, others will give that credit to Second Season. Still others will give it to Kizumonogatari (and then curse Shaft for still not getting around to animating the damn thing).

What I'm trying to say is, the Monogatari series definitely keeps up the quality overall. The next series on your list, Nisemonogatari, is widely considered to be the weakest part, but I think even it has a lot going for it, it's just not quite as tightly executed as the rest.

As for the romance elements, while they don't go away completely, I wouldn't say they're a major focus of the series (though if you feel bad for Hanekawa now, prepare to feel all kinds of things in the Nekomonogatari arcs...) It would be a terrible idea to stop watching at this point IMO.

(...Oh, and I'm vaguely impressed that you managed to go from having "just started" Bakemonogatari to having "seen all of" it within the space of a single post =p)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
HeartCatch Precure 35

How is it that a Precure "school festival preparation" episode is so much more entertaining than a lot of slice-of-life equivalents? It was to the point where I almost wished there would be no MOTW, just so there could be more school festival hijinks. Really good episode.

Rhapsody

Banned
Kizumonogatari's never going to come out :/

I was hoping we'd see something after the Madoka and Negima movies were done.
Yes that, I'm terrible when it comes to technical terms. Although art style and animation isn't that hard to distinguish between (was a stupid slip up). Basically, I'm just curious if the series stays more towards the supernatural than the relationship stuff. Maybe I'm watching the wrong series lol =/

Some people criticize the later stories to have more harem-esque scenes. There's no huge focus on romance though, imo, besides maybe some motives. The Monogatari series is definitely one of my favorites to watch just because of it's style and dialogue, so stick with it.

Mononoke

Banned
Some people will say Bakemonogatari is the high point of the series, others will give that credit to Second Season. Still others will give it to Kizumonogatari (and then curse Shaft for still not getting around to animating the damn thing).

What I'm trying to say is, the Monogatari series definitely keeps up the quality overall. The next series on your list, Nisemonogatari, is widely considered to be the weakest part, but I think even it has a lot going for it, it's just not quite as tightly executed as the rest.

As for the romance elements, while they don't go away completely, I wouldn't say they're a major focus of the series (though if you feel bad for Hanekawa now, prepare to feel all kinds of things in the Nekomonogatari arcs...) It would be a terrible idea to stop watching at this point IMO.

(...Oh, and I'm vaguely impressed that you managed to go from having "just started" Bakemonogatari to having "seen all of" it within the space of a single post =p)

I guess I made another mistake! I just meant I'm starting the series (and accidentally mixed up the first season title with the overall series title lol). But with each season having its own separate title it kind of confused me. So Monogatari is the proper way to address the overall series.

Also thanks for all the info. I guess I'll just tackle it all at this point. I'm intrigued enough to keep going (even though I'll probably be sad about that specific plot).

Crocodile

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Stardust Crusaders 10

shit-got-real-o.gif

How are some people who would normally like this show not liking this?

I've kind of been spoiled on some big Stardust Crusaders events just due to general anime culture osmosis but there are enough holes in my knowledge to still leave some events quite surprising O_O

On a side note, were
pig toilets
a real thing in 1980's India?

cnet128

Banned
selector infected WIXOSS 10

Dammit guys
you went all that way to see Hanayo, you could have actually talked to her!
Not that I was expecting any different, but still. I guess nobody is going to tell Kazuki the truth any time soon.

It's interesting that
Yuzuki seems to have decided that she doesn't mind staying as a card if taking Hitoe's body is the only other option
, but I do question if that attitude is really what's best for Hitoe.
As I pointed out last episode, it's not like Hitoe's situation can really get any worse than it is, so becoming an LRIG could arguably be a better fate for her than maintaining the status quo. At the very least, Yuzuki-as-Hitoe would be able to do a much better job of putting Hitoe's mother's mind at rest than the current Hitoe can hope to.

At any rate, right now things seem to be moving towards another confrontation of some kind with Iona, which will hopefully lead to...some kind of forward progress, somehow. At least Tama will probably get to BATORU. (She was so adorable this episode. Then again, I could say that about every episode.)

Mononoke

Banned
That's one way to interpret Shaft reusing backgrounds and art assets that were over four years old.

To be fair, I'm more concerned about the plot. Although that's a bummer to hear about the quality of the art/animation not being consistent. TBH I don't know a lot about Shaft, except Nisekoi and some of their other work. They always struck me as a really great studio. Why did they get lazy here?

cnet128

Banned
That's one way to interpret Shaft reusing backgrounds and art assets that were over four years old.

Oh, shush, you. I was mainly talking about narrative quality and general quality of experience, not necessarily production values. Though the show is still consistently great to look at even if Shaft do start cutting a few corners, so I'm not really inclined to complain about those either.

(...inbefore gifs of the awful CG snakes that were the one time I actually felt disappointed by the show's visuals)

Rhapsody

Banned
To be fair, I'm more concerned about the plot. Although that's a bummer to hear about the quality of the art/animation not being consistent. TBH I don't know a lot about Shaft, except Nisekoi and some of their other work. They always struck me as a really great studio. Why did they get lazy here?

Budget and manpower. Shaft's been known to not get things done on time.

Their budget on Madoka and Monogatari is great though. Everything else is usually good on just the first few episodes while the rest take even more shortcuts.

jman2050

Oh hey I'm still watching this.

Brynhildr in the Darkness 3

Okay I did laugh at Kuroha walking into school after a couple days of absense in a sling, full bandage wear around her head and an eyepatch and explaining it away as a "cold", but I suppose that has more to do with how deadly the dreaded Japanese Cold is portrayed to be in most anime.

This wasn't nearly as silly as the last episode, just wholly unremarkable really. Stuff happens, they need to go to a factory for pills that witches need to take to live because Kuroha and blondie have none left, blondie sees the future and Kuroha is going to die via another witch that the bad guys employ, MC tries to save the day, etc. etc. They introduce another witch character whose main magic seems to be doing anything the plot demands via online means, and they also introduce the little machine on their necks that control their magic and can kill them. Also the MC has a photographic memory, a fact that will in no way be relevant later on. Finally, it turns out Kuroha really is the MC's not-dead childhood friend, a revelation surprising to absolutely no one.

Okay so, the plan was for Kuroha to draw the other witch into a fight while MC came in through the back door to search for the pills and get out. MC is totally fine with this plan because he's under the impression that if Kuroha ever got in trouble she'd call for help. Kuroha, for her part, never intended to get out of the factory alive and was content to let herself be killed so long as MC got out with the pills to save blondie and the new girl. He would be none the wiser. Everything works out from her point of view, right?

So of course she decides that instead of just going through with it, she's going to write a letter to the dude telling him directly that she was going to sacrifice herself and not to go looking for her yadda yadda that he can read as he's going in the backdoor. This of course is a stupid idea. I mean, the dude had every intention of looking for those pills while she went about getting owned by the other witch without her intervention. There was no purpose to telling him any of this except to give him a reason not to do the thing that he was specifically intending to do. I mean it's all going to work out in the end because anime and I'm not saying that a narrative work isn't allowed to sacrifice logic and consistency to a point in service of an engaging story, but these kind of silly obvious plot manipulations stick out like a sore thumb when your story is otherwise rote and unremarkable.

cajunator

Banned

The character design is courtesy of Akio Watanabe. Hes simply a genius.

/XX/

Yea I sort of doubt this other than it being a throwaway joke or something for American audiences. They made it clear at Animazement that they weren't working on it.
How could they be toying with the hearts of people like that? I'm kind of siding with the team of hope... :)

Syrinx

Date a Live II 8

I really don't like the decision to have both the Miku arc and the Shido-rescuing-Tohka arcs going on at the same time. I guess it's mostly that I'm tired of Miku (she's very close to being insufferable now). Shido was wasting his time trying to get her to help. That whole scene was ugh.

Kurumi remains entertaining and she kinda carried this whole episode. But there's so much crap going on right now that I don't know if she'll be able to continue. This show needs to get all this stuff under control.

Midonin

To Heart 2 01-03

This show has the energy and tone of a more modern anime, and none of the wonky character design that Remember my memories had. I'm still getting introduced to the many, many girls in the cast, so my opinions on the new cast are still being formed. According to research, it takes place two years after the first one at the same school, but otherwise the cast is all new.

Konomi's cute, but the main reason I came here was for Tamaki. She's only been in one episode, but that combination of Shizuka Itou and being a busty redhead is a potent combination. Manaka also paralleled how different the old and new class reps are between the shows. Tomoko was distant, while Manaka is more timid. The pace is still super relaxed.

So far, not bad.

Mature

Inferno Cop II confirmed at AnimeNEXT 2014? Key visual shown and all:

Twitter / DarylSurat: NOBODY IN JAPAN HAS SEEN OR ...
https://twitter.com/DarylSurat/status/475027969531187200
Woo-hoo!
Yea I sort of doubt this other than it being a throwaway joke or something for American audiences. They made it clear at Animazement that they weren't working on it.
Huh...? I could have sworn I heard them talk positively about it recently.

fake edit: I'm probably thinking of this.

Theonik

Inferno Cop II confirmed at AnimeNEXT 2014? Key visual shown and all:

Twitter / DarylSurat: NOBODY IN JAPAN HAS SEEN OR ...
https://twitter.com/DarylSurat/status/475027969531187200
Did they change their mind? They'd said the lacked the money for it recently.

Maybe someone spot them a bowl of ramen and some rubber bands in an aniplex drinking trip and they got to make it.

+1

Though the animators obsession with underwear was notable and jarring, the action delivered, the plot was interesting and most importantly the characters were likeable.
Why must you hate on good things?

cnet128

Banned
Date A Live II 9

Shidou's breaking through Miku's walls and gradually dere-ifying her is pretty delicious.

Also Tohka what are you doing. Stop.

Stardust Crusaders 10

This show continues to be amazing, sadly I was a dumb ass and googled a certain characters name who actually doesn't appear in this episode getting future SPOILERSNO.gif but oh well I'll live
but cry myself to sleep tonight

CorvoSol

Zeta Gundam 32

So I'm kinda confused. I get that within the narrative Reccoa betrays the Argama and AEUG for the Titans because she doesn't get the affection/sexual satisfaction she needs from them, but on the other hand, she's fantasizing about Paptimus as if he had been loving to her when in fact he smacked her and was very, very threatening, whereas Char actually did respond to her advances. People cite Char's failure to reciprocate as both a reason Reccoa leaves and a sign of his only being attracted to teenage girls, but none of that makes sense because Char DOES reciprocate. Shit, he initiates. Reccoa comes up to him and he has his hand on the booty within seconds. He's the one who kisses her, too. She might not feel anything from that, but I see no way of saying that it is Char's fault, nor that Char isn't attracted to her physically.

Course the "Char only likes teenage girls!" thing is bunk anyway when you stop and look at it for like, ten seconds. Char's relationship with Lalah parallels Amuro's with Sayla, but that's the last time Char's interested in a girl who is significantly younger. He pays no sexual attention to Fa, nor to Emma (and mind you there are other men aboard the Radish and the Argama who are completely willing to overlook Emma being 16), and instead Char's chemistry is all devoted to Reccoa and Haman in Zeta. Haman is younger than Char, but by no means a teenaged girl. Then in the movie it's all "OH NO CHAR WANTS QUESS!" but he kinda sorta has himself an age appropriate girlfriend, so IDK.

I digress, though. If Char is distracted and not mentally reciprocating to Reccoa, I'd say it's because people have suddenly asked him to step up and lead the AEUG's military powers, and because he has the immense task of negotiating with Haman Khan and Axis (even though he murdered numerous Zabis and is sort of a traitor to the Zeon) all hanging on his head.

This episode also has one of the times when we get to see Mr. Wong doing nice things. Mr. Wong in Zeta is only the 2nd best Wong (the best Wong being, of course, the Mr. Wong of G Gundam, and the worst Wong being Wong Liu Mei of 00).

Akuma no Riddle 9
I think Banba and Inukai were my favorite 2 assassins.
Too bad they got taken out together. Now all there's left is the ojou and the crafty informant

This episode also has one of the times when we get to see Mr. Wong doing nice things. Mr. Wong in Zeta is only the 2nd best Wong (the best Wong being, of course, the Mr. Wong of G Gundam, and the worst Wong being Wong Liu Mei of 00).

It's been like a month and I still have no idea what the hell that character was trying to do or what her entire purpose was in that show.

Sword Art Online - 6

...what.

So this guy killed his wife because she changed from who she was and became a more dependable and likeable person.

SAO, I understand what you tried to go for here, with the whole "learning a new side of the person you marry" thing. But that was just half-assed.

You know how I would have done it? I would have the game change the wife into a frightened, more insane person. A person who ended up becoming a monstrous player killer to survive and protect her husband. Have it get to a point where it got so bad that the husband had to tearfully kill her like a mad dog just to stop her rampage.

That would be a tragic story I could get behind.

Log Horizon 9-10

continental-congressvves6.jpg

173139p8sje.jpg

Nation building, human rights... it's pretty basic and rough around the edges but this show went deeper than I'd imagine, which is good. Better than anything the turd SAO was.

cnet128

Banned
Sword Art Online - 6

...what.

So this guy killed his wife because she changed from who she was and became a more dependable and likeable person.

SAO, I understand what you tried to go for here, with the whole "learning a new side of the person you marry" thing. But that was just half-assed.

You know how I would have done it? I would have the game change the wife into a frightened, more insane person. A person who ended up becoming a monstrous player killer to survive and protect her husband. Have it get to a point where it got so bad that the husband had to tearfully kill her like a mad dog just to stop her rampage.

That would be a tragic story I could get behind.

But then the guy would not have been such an irredeemable asshole.

CorvoSol

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 32

God hates Ypsilon, so just as Ypsilon is about to recapture Fyana, kill Chirico and finally have a good day for himself in this show, Chirico magically recovers all his fighting strength and is ready to kick some serious ass. In other news the ship has touched down on a planet and we may soon get some frickin' answers as to what is going on here.

cnet128

Banned
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 10

Mmmmmmm, delicious. That scene with the snake was just so damn slick, I love it.

This show is the greatest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom