• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Finally caught up...

Love Live! S2 - 09

Yay for super contrived drama! Fucking love how Honoka with the rest of the trio battled against the snowstorm that looked like a hurricane and at the top of stairs leading into the school everything is suddenly calm! Nevermind the roads were cleared out via the school body, I can believe that, but what was the fucking purpose of showing that intense snowstorm? Hell couldn't the dad in traffic pick up the trio since the snowstorm suddenly stopped?

As for the song, when I read the first reaction to it people stated it was held up as the emotional climatic song in the series (of both seasons maybe), similar to iM@S's 'Yakusoku'. Granted it was enjoyable to listen to, it was nowhere near the comparison I just listed so I was a little bit let down again. So yeah, give me moar A-Rise please.

I have to ask, what's the difference between 'contrived' drama and just drama-ass drama

Articalys

Not too much ground to cover this time. Quiet day, I guess.

It's admirable that there are still people willing to defend SAO in this thread, but guys, give it up, it won't accomplish anything.
Rail Wars promo

A little bit lewd, a little bit trains. And one of the heroines is Maaya Uchida.
Could be okay. Hopefully it won't lean on the fanservice more than any action.
It totally will, won't it.
There's going to be a Japanese BD-box for Sankarea, so I assume there's going to be a much longer wait for those hoping FUNimation would release the proper uncensored set. https://twitter.com/WTK/status/475042908031451137
They've got a panel at A-Kon tomorrow night, would be nice if someone put the question to them. But they'd probably just give a non-answer anyway seeing as the titles been in a damn limbo for eight months with no further comment from them anyway...

jgminto

Mushishi Zoku Shou8

Loved all the shots of Ginko
covered in the snake mushi.
It was another beautiful looking episode but I'm still waiting for an episode to really resonate emotionally. I feel like the characters haven't been as realised as they were in the first season.
Why did the kid care so much about the gift? I assume it was for someone he cared about but they obviously weren't very important to the episode since they never appeared. They also barely explored the relationship between him and his mother. All we know is that she isn't his birth mother and she is demanding of him in regards to money. It didn't feel like enough of a reason for his actions. The episode needed more time with the family if they really wanted this story to work.
If you look at similar episodes from the first season, they examined the relationships and motivations of the characters and ensured that they felt grounded and real and that helped greatly to get the viewer invested in these characters that would, for the most part only appear in a single episode.

Articalys

Weekly sales for May 26 - June 1:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=1499

New and ending series:

- Puchimas S2 starts off with 2,883 BDs for vol.1, way down from S1 because it didn't come in two versions loaded with extras this time around.
- Knights of Sidonia debuts its first volume with 5,971 BDs. Let's see if it can stay as consistent as Arpeggio did.

- Tonari no Seki-kun starts and finishes its two-volume DVD release in a single week with a 1,188 average between them (they only differed by 21 anyway).

- Infinite Stratos S2 finished up seven volumes with a 16,263 average, about a 50% drop from S1 -- and that's even with the first volume's abnormally higher sales.
- Non Non Biyori ends a six-volume run with a commendable 8,291 average, making it one of the best-selling non-K-On cute-girls-doing-cute-things series ever. And we already know it's getting a S2 so that's certainly not all for today.
- White Album 2 ends with a 3,103 BD-only average across six volumes
- Valvrave S2 closes out six volumes with a 4,170 average. S1 had a six-volume average of 5,689, so across the entire series that's a twelve-volume average of about 4,930.
- Unbreakable Machine-Doll spins through its six volumes with a 4,093 average.
- Freezing S2 only gets a 2,239 average for six volumes, a big drop from the first season's 5,300.
- Finally, in the poor unloved realm of BD-only sub-2k sales, Yuushibu can only scrounge up a 1,485 average, while BlazBlue Alter Memory gets Astral Finished at a mere 1,255.

As always, plenty more numbers and information at the link.

CorvoSol

Macross 7 19

Nekki Basara just made a space vampire orgasm with the power of Rock and Roll.

I have no clue where this show is going from there.

Syrinx

Happiness Charge Precure 18

What kind of bullshit white trash wedding was that? A fried chicken tower instead of a cake? That ain't right. That's just...I would never look at somebody who did that the same way again. And it was catered by a bento shop. They said they met there and wanted to share the delicious bentos with everyone, but I think it was just because they're cheap bastards.

Not a terrible episode overall though. Good to see Fortune show up again.

Jintor

So it's just a matter of acceptability to the audience basically

I'm not disputing your claims or anything, Love Live is full of "Oh man something popped up this episode WE GOTTA DEAL WITH IT"

So it's just a matter of acceptability to the audience basically

I'm not disputing your claims or anything, Love Live is full of "Oh man something popped up this episode WE GOTTA DEAL WITH IT"

Something like that, it also has to do with accepted forms of telling a story. Love Live! S2 for instance pretty much introduces a problem with each episode and attempts to solve it like you stated. This is all fine and dandy but the show overdoes/tries really hard to introduce/solve its predicaments which either turns into a borefest (Rin dealing with believing she's not 'cute' enough) or hilarity of the stupidity/nonsensical nature of it all (the snowstorm being at hurricane levels for 2 minutes then suddenly clearing)

cnet128

Banned
Mushishi Zoku-shou 8

They can take as many weeks off as they like if it's for the sake of delivering this kind of animation. Hot damn the mushi in this episode were beautiful. This episode was worthwhile just for the ocean atmosphere.

Wind is so great, sometimes I think it might even be a more awesome type of weather than snow. They are undoubtedly the two kings of the awesome weather world.

The character work was, as ever, not as strong as in the first season, but at the same time it didn't really feel like a weak point here. The sense of aimlessness and emptiness to the kid's character was kind of the point. In the end, he was just...kind of a brat. If he was willing to
kill his own mother and/or destroy her house just because she didn't appreciate him like he wanted
, I dread to think what he'd have been like if he'd had some of the legitimately awful parents who appear in this series sometimes.

Still, terrible though the things he ended up doing were, I didn't feel like he was a completely horrible person. Just a deeply frustrated kid who didn't know what to do with his life or the ability he didn't ask for.

cajunator

Banned
+1

Though the animators obsession with underwear was notable and jarring, the action delivered, the plot was interesting and most importantly the characters were likeable.

Ive seen much more pantsu obsessed shows so this one didnt faze me. I stayed for the cuties and cat ears.

To Heart 2 01-03

This show has the energy and tone of a more modern anime, and none of the wonky character design that Remember my memories had. I'm still getting introduced to the many, many girls in the cast, so my opinions on the new cast are still being formed. According to research, it takes place two years after the first one at the same school, but otherwise the cast is all new.

Konomi's cute, but the main reason I came here was for Tamaki. She's only been in one episode, but that combination of Shizuka Itou and being a busty redhead is a potent combination. Manaka also paralleled how different the old and new class reps are between the shows. Tomoko was distant, while Manaka is more timid. The pace is still super relaxed.

So far, not bad.

tama-ne and Multi are the reason for being in To Heart

There's going to be a Japanese BD-box for Sankarea, so I assume there's going to be a much longer wait for those hoping FUNimation would release the proper uncensored set. https://twitter.com/WTK/status/475042908031451137

Dammit. At least I didnt get burned on buying this show early.

It's been like a month and I still have no idea what the hell that character was trying to do or what her entire purpose was in that show.

Sword Art Online - 6

...what.

So this guy killed his wife because she changed from who she was and became a more dependable and likeable person.

SAO, I understand what you tried to go for here, with the whole "learning a new side of the person you marry" thing. But that was just half-assed.

You know how I would have done it? I would have the game change the wife into a frightened, more insane person. A person who ended up becoming a monstrous player killer to survive and protect her husband. Have it get to a point where it got so bad that the husband had to tearfully kill her like a mad dog just to stop her rampage.

That would be a tragic story I could get behind.

Yeah you expected too much out of SAO heehee. Lower your expectations about 1000%

CorvoSol

Wacky places. It's only just started.

I'm tempted to ask how you can get wackier than making a space vampire orgasm through the power of rock and roll played on your guitar operated giant robot, but on the other hand I know better than to doubt at this point.

On a side note, as the show gets crazier I appreciate Basara more and like Gamlin less.

Clannad 16

Roachdad is the best and he should be in more scenes.

In all seriousness, I actually felt this was an okay episode. Last episode's melodrama was disposed of, and the punchline to the numerous misunderstanding jokes was acceptable. Mostly, though, the episode wasn't some Hallmark level "Okazaki doing extremely moving nice thing for another girl in his harem." Most of the episode was about teamwork and bringing the kids together to win at a basketball team, giving the group some much needed development to make me more sympathetic toward their cause. That last shot was some ridiculous noise, but it was still a more light-hearted, easy on the stomach episode and I appreciated it much more. In fact, I dare say that Clannad is much better like this, when it is easy going and letting its message shine through, than when it is pouring copious amounts of emotional moments atop a somewhat dense premise to begin with.

Shoot, in this episode we even had character development and background information for Okazaki, without needing it slammed in our faces.

This was a pretty damn decent episode, and I am totally okay with more episodes like this.

Yeah you expected too much out of SAO heehee. Lower your expectations about 1000%

You know you screwed up when your viewer expects the lowest of the low of your show and it still manages to disappoint him.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure - 4

When I started watching Jojo last year, it's first three episodes left sort of a strange impression on me. I loved how quickly they were able to establish how huge of a dick Dio was in the span of one episode by having him literally kick a dog on his arrival to Jojo's place.

But the subsequent episodes felt kind of weird. Going into Jojo, I thought I was going to get well, a bizzare adventure. And yeah, with the mask business it was certainly bizzare. But to me it felt more like some kind of dark mystery story regarding this mask rather than an adventure. And at the time, I just wasn't in the mood for that. And in episode 3
where it showed that Dio was still alive at the end
I had no idea where they were going to go with the show and well, no urge to continue.

Soon after that IIRC, TTGL then came into and took over my anime life.

So I put it down and quietly forgot about it for a while. But with all the hype and positive reactions regarding it's third part, I figured I might as well try and catch up with it and see how it all ends up. Lord knows I was gonna need something amazing to balance out SAO.

And when SENDO HAMON OVERDRIVE appeared in this episode, I knew I made the right choice. Now THIS was more like it.

I'm tempted to ask how you can get wackier than making a space vampire orgasm through the power of rock and roll played on your guitar operated giant robot, but on the other hand I know better than to doubt at this point.

On a side note, as the show gets crazier I appreciate Basara more and like Gamlin less.

Don't doubt Kawamori when it comes to these things. And yeah. Basara becomes much more entertaining as the show gets wackier and wackier. Though Gamlin actually grew on me as the series went along.

You know you screwed up when your viewer expects the lowest of the low of your show and it still manages to disappoint him.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure - 4

When I started watching Jojo last year, it's first three episodes left sort of a strange impression on me. I loved how quickly they were able to establish how huge of a dick Dio was in the span of one episode by having him literally kick a dog on his arrival to Jojo's place.

But the subsequent episodes felt kind of weird. Going into Jojo, I thought I was going to get well, a bizzare adventure. And yeah, with the mask business it was certainly bizzare. But to me it felt more like some kind of dark mystery story regarding this mask rather than an adventure. And at the time, I just wasn't in the mood for that. And in episode 3
where it showed that Dio was still alive at the end
I had no idea where they were going to go with the show and well, no urge to continue.

Soon after that IIRC, TTGL then came into and took over my anime life.

So I put it down and quietly forgot about it for a while. But with all the hype and positive reactions regarding it's third part, I figured I might as well try and catch up with it and see how it all ends up. Lord knows I was gonna need something amazing to balance out SAO.

And when SENDO HAMON OVERDRIVE appeared in this episode, I knew I made the right choice. Now THIS was more like it.

You haven't even gotten to the good stuff yet. The first part isn't much of an adventure compared to the second/third part.

CorvoSol

Don't doubt Kawamori when it comes to these things. And yeah. Basara becomes much more entertaining as the show gets wackier and wackier. Though Gamlin actually grew on me as the series went along.

Right now I think I just don't like the way Gamlin looks. I mean bright orange polo shirts tucked into blue jeans with a purple wolverine haircut is sort of not the best character design. But I love Diamond Force's VFs, though. Bombers are like the coolest planes ever anyway and so they make a great sort of start.

I actually really love VF designs in general. I'm not the biggest fan of Zentraedi mech designs, since battle pods are preeeeeetty lame, but I love the whole airplane to mecha shift. It lets them fill the role of star fighters and mecha much more fluidly, and it looks way more natural than the mobile armor forms that basically every Gundam post Zeta takes.

Yamato 14

Absolutely loved the imagery in this episode. The journey into Kodai and Mori's minds was positively haunting, and it gave some real depth to the reason why Kodai is fighting and what kind of man he is. There were also some uh, gratuitous shots in this episode, too, especially those involving a ladder. In any case, there's something otherworldly living aboard the Yamato with the crew, and it'll be fascinating to find out just what the Hell that is. In the meantime, I really enjoy the fact that this show doesn't feel too bound by the laws of sci fi space physics, even if I wish the ships would obey them. That spinning Yamato scene was a little silly for my tastes.

Midonin

Fairy Tail 185

"The city will be destroyed tomorrow." Given what type of show we're dealing with, "tomorrow" could be anywhere from next week to two months from now.
Kagura is Simon's little sister. Okay. That feels kind of sudden, and it does tie back to one of the earlier arcs, but the stories about Mashima's on-the-fly story planning hold true.
That flashback could've cut out one or two scenes as well.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure - 5

SpeedWagon's abs are so muscular and hot they can thaw out Zeppeli's frozen arm. That was a thing that happened.

Looks like the show learned its underwater breathing physics from Sonic the Hedgehog! This is in no way a bad thing.

Why oh why did this episode stop right at the best part? This show has so much fighting spirit and energy it would make Kamina jealous.

Yamato 14

Absolutely loved the imagery in this episode. The journey into Kodai and Mori's minds was positively haunting, and it gave some real depth to the reason why Kodai is fighting and what kind of man he is. There were also some uh, gratuitous shots in this episode, too, especially those involving a ladder. In any case, there's something otherworldly living aboard the Yamato with the crew, and it'll be fascinating to find out just what the Hell that is. In the meantime, I really enjoy the fact that this show doesn't feel too bound by the laws of sci fi space physics, even if I wish the ships would obey them. That spinning Yamato scene was a little silly for my tastes.

This is one of my favorite episodes of the show; the surreal imagery it contained was super. I'm pretty sure the spinning sequence was quite deliberately done to feel surreal and mysterious, setting up the atmosphere for the bizarre events on board the ship.

CorvoSol

This is one of my favorite episodes of the show; the surreal imagery it contained was super. I'm pretty sure the spinning sequence was quite deliberately done to feel surreal and mysterious, setting up the atmosphere for the bizarre events on board the ship.

Yeah, I figured that had to be the idea, but it was just a question of "how did they even land on it when it was spinning that fast?" But then I just told myself to stop worrying about the physics involved.

I really loved the sort of weird black and orange line look that some parts had in this episode. Reminded me of Spellbinder from Batman Beyond.

my stuff came in!

BpfsC-3CAAEpzYI.jpg

The Skull Man 1-3

This was recommended to me as an action show, and while there's been a little bit of action, there's not really enough for it to qualify as one so far. It's a pretty cool show though. The expansive cast of characters is handled well, with numerous different factions with unclear motives. Having the journalist character as a quasi-outsider searching for the truth behind what's going on in this town makes for a good audience viewpoint and builds interest in solving the mystery that's being presented. Episode 3 took me a bit by surprise
with the revelation of humans transforming into monsters, but it makes sense since I think this is a prequel to a tokusatsu show. I wish Sayoko didn't have to die though, because I liked her.

Visually, this is stuck in the early digital "this can never genuinely look good" era, with a fuzzy and washed-out look. The sharp storyboarding, with its sense of style, does help to compensate for that. Episode 3 was especially good, with some meaningful close-ups and transitions.

Articalys

Catching up on two weeks of Precure.

Ep. 17

They pretty much gave this episode to Megumi Han and she knocked it out of the park.
The dude got Saiarked while Hime and Seiji were on the other side of the river, how in the world did they not notice immediately?
Are there any other Precure series where a male ally remains as active and relevant this far into the series like Seiji has? It's really refreshing.
Nice new attack.
Ahahaha all the bandages.

That was a really fun episode. If only the fighting was a bit more impressive it would have been excellent.
Also:
NsGOcaA.jpg

Best Kami-sama or bestest Kami-sama?

Ep. 18

I'm with Hime on this one too -- who the hell has their wedding luncheon at a small neighborhood restaurant?
j3tnXIG.jpg

You betcha.
That said, they are organizing it pretty well.
Blue laying down the law again after the wedding dress talk.
Oh, serious time there for a bit.
Thank goodness Hime is there to slap some fashion sense into Megumi.
Getting the bouquet back lololol
Oh right, forgot that no one in-universe knows that Iona is Fortune yet. Hell, they haven't even said so "officially" anywhere as far as I know.

Wanna Be The Strongest END - Best way to describe this show is 12 episodes of Sakura screaming and crying. Tough to be watch. The wrestling was kind of weak and the story outside the wrestling lacked drama.

Branduil

The Skull Man 1-3

This was recommended to me as an action show, and while there's been a little bit of action, there's not really enough for it to qualify as one so far. It's a pretty cool show though. The expansive cast of characters is handled well, with numerous different factions with unclear motives. Having the journalist character as a quasi-outsider searching for the truth behind what's going on in this town makes for a good audience viewpoint and builds interest in solving the mystery that's being presented. Episode 3 took me a bit by surprise
with the revelation of humans transforming into monsters, but it makes sense since I think this is a prequel to a tokusatsu show. I wish Sayoko didn't have to die though, because I liked her.

Visually, this is stuck in the early digital "this can never genuinely look good" era, with a fuzzy and washed-out look. The sharp storyboarding, with its sense of style, does help to compensate for that. Episode 3 was especially good, with some meaningful close-ups and transitions.

I don't know if I'd call 2007 the early digital era. That's pretty much the year that anime transitioned to HD presentations.

Crocodile

Ping Pong 9

Anime is SAVED, etc.

I agree with others in that Smile is def the least interesting character in the cast. He's less like a characters and more like an obstacle for the other characters to bounce off of and develop from their encounters with him. I'm quite interested in what the last two episodes will do with him though.

QQ: How much of the manga does the anime intend to adapt? Is this it or is there like a chance for a season 2? (Though to be fair, this doesn't seem like the kind of show that should/needs to be 24+ episodes)

Ping Pong 9

Anime is SAVED, etc.

I agree with others in that Smile is def the least interesting character in the cast. He's less like a characters and more like an obstacle for the other characters to bounce off of and develop from their encounters with him. I'm quite interested in what the last two episodes will do with him though.

QQ: How much of the manga does the anime intend to adapt? Is this it or is there like a chance for a season 2? (Though to be fair, this doesn't seem like the kind of show that should/needs to be 24+ episodes)

It will adapt everything. Its not a long series.

survivor

Banned
Ping Pong 9

Anime is SAVED, etc.

There is only 10 chapters left, it's gonna adapt everything.

Date A Live S2 9
it feels a little stupid to see Miku swayed just because he actually cares for people.
Now that Tohka has turned evil, will she be a better character

Rhapsody

Banned
JJBA Stardust Crusaders 10

Still loving how they're adapting all this. Beginning and end was handled nicely.
Almost forgot how many Polnareff stories there were.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure - 6

Suddenly this show is one of the manliest anime that I've ever seen.

Jojo punches the zombie with fists so manly it's now able to feel pain again. Jojo man, dude freaking freaking turns zombies into the good people that they were again.

Well, except for Tarakus anyway, and did they just freaking turn the ground into a hang-glider?

Jojo radiates so much manliness it even gets the kid to get off his ass and help out!

Why did I stop watching this show last year again?!?!?!?

Syrinx

Non Non Biyori 4

I like how the scenery and music blend together in this show. Part with Renge and Honoka was really nice, and it was kinda hard to watch Renge's face well up like that after Honoka's grandma told her she left, especially since she always has that deadpan-ish expression.

So far this is one of the better slow-paced anime I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom